Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England squad

Comments

• Options
    Sturridge has been out for most of the season. How does he even get near that squad ?
  • Options
    Ross said:

Daniel Fucking Sturridge

Yeah, 4 goals in 8 games after a long term injury and 5 international goals despite not playing in his best position for much of the time, I wonder why he's in there.
  • Options
    It's refreshing to see a totally new generation of English players. No more Terry Lampard Gerrard and the rest of the disappointments. It's an untested and more technical squad and interested to see what they can do.

• Options
    I know i'm getting old , but that defence scares the life out of me, will get taken apart against the Germans if they take it seriously.
  • Options

Our defence is awful.

This, and Stones is certainly not the answer right now he has had a woeful season, Smalling the best of the bunch, paired with Cahill IMO.
    Stones has the ability though and reckon he should be trusted at the Euros to have one of the spots.

We're not going to win 2016 yet by fielding a young squad we'll have the experience with youth for the next Euros / World Cup.

The Chelsea rumours havent helped his season no doubt
  • Options
    edited March 2016

I'd stick one of our chickens in there ahead of Walcott

None of ours are English though...
    They are, because I'm pure bred English (Apart from my kidney) and I'm the one who's gonna eat em. Makes em English in my book
    Your Kidney @i_b_b_o_r_g ? You've never mentioned this before.......much (:
  • Options
    For what its worth, I'd have Lallana in the squad every time. Quality player.
  • Options

I see the Nigels are blowing their stripy tops on Twitter complaining that Zaha didn't make the squad. Morons

We need people who can stay on their feet!!... He'd only be useful in a penalty shootout and proved how shite he is from his Man Utd spell

Only Scott Dann should be considered from that bunch of pricks
  • Options

I see the Nigels are blowing their stripy tops on Twitter complaining that Zaha didn't make the squad. Morons

he's not even fecking english!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:

This'll no doubt be the Squad... Really can see it being a fight between Kane / Vardy for the England Striker spot with Rooney taking the other place when he gets back

Hart
    Walker ... Cahill ... Jagielka ... Rose
    Henderson ... Milner
    Lallana

Sterling ... Kane ... Welbeck

A piece of me will die inside if this is the case.
    Cahill is the new Ferdinand - automatically gets a place regardless of form
    Same goes for
    Jagielka the new Terry
    Lallana is the new Lampard
    Henderson the new gerrard

And to an extent Hart. He's really not as great as some make out

Ferdinand, Terry, Lampard and Gerrard were the best in their positions for a number of years. The other four it's certainly not the case.
  • Options

he's not even fecking english!
    Just as Palarse isnt in London!!!
  • Options
    Sterling and Walcott - absolute joke
  • Options
    Opposition Manager: Right lads, Sterling and Walcott just run very very fast with very little end product (here is the video evidence for you to watch) concentrate on their crosses into the box, dont worry they struggle to beat the first man so you'll be fine.

Seriously if those two had a little less pace then they'd be lucky to be playing in the Championship.

Fair enough pace is a great tool to have in a side but you need to have the footballing brain with it and neither have that!!
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Boysie said:

Sturridge has been out for most of the season. How does he even get near that squad ?

Because he's a quality player who was one of the first names on the team sheet before his injuries.

It amazes me that people think the England squad should be picked solely on form, do we really want a squad full of players with no international experience and have never played together just months before the Euros? Form obviously does play a part and Roy has brought in uncapped players like Drinkwater and Rose as well as fresh blood like Dier, Alli and Vardy who weren't internationals this time last year.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

This'll no doubt be the Squad... Really can see it being a fight between Kane / Vardy for the England Striker spot with Rooney taking the other place when he gets back

Hart
    Walker ... Cahill ... Jagielka ... Rose
    Henderson ... Milner
    Lallana

Sterling ... Kane ... Welbeck

A piece of me will die inside if this is the case.
    Cahill is the new Ferdinand - automatically gets a place regardless of form
    Same goes for
    Jagielka the new Terry
    Lallana is the new Lampard
    Henderson the new gerrard

And to an extent Hart. He's really not as great as some make out

Lukaku scored a superb goal in last week's FA Cup game against Chelsea while Cahill, well, what can I say... just check out this video:
    https://youtu.be/8Wk7wrcdcag
  • Options
    midfield looks very useful BUT both defence and attack look weak, especially attack .. Vardy's goals have dried up, Sturridge is just back from injury and Walcott and Welbeck are unreliable .. Roy is a decent manager, but like the vast majority of past England bosses, he is ULTRA conservative in his selections
  • Options
    You wait to you see the new kit that goes with this squad
  • Options
    Rothko said:

it's a shocker....red socks!
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Saw the New England kit - absolutely awful, probably the worst shirt thy've ever had, not sure what the red socks are all about.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:

• Options
    Mark Noble is a decent premier league player, nothing more. Would look silly at international level assuming he had long enough to touch the ball without getting sent off.

Hodgson has been building a system throughout the qualifiers with roughly this group of players. He has brought in Vardy, Alli, Dier, Rose, now Drinkwater in that time, so there is room for some new blood. But he's a systems and methods coach is Hodgson, and that's what he's building for.

For players like Albrighton, who has been in pretty good form for a while, what does he bring that Wellbeck, Stirling, Lallana, Vardy, don't? Especially with no international experience. The other one you could add in that group is Milner, who has a lot of top level, Champions League, and international experience.

I get the Walcott questioning, but Sturridge, for my money, is England's best striker and arguably most gifted player on his day. He'd be in my first eleven every single day of the week.

...................Hart
    Clyne..Cahill...Smalling....Bertrand
    ...........Dier....Henderson
    .................Alli
    Stirling.....Sturridge.......Wellbeck

Come the Euros a what will then be clearly overweight and "not match sharp" or some other excuse Wayne Rooney will certainly be in the side because England have a talisman complex. But I'd argue the above 11 are mobile, pretty technically adept, and pretty well experienced despite being relatively young. Assuming most stay fit, I'd argue this will be England's best squad (1-23) that they've had for a major tournament for a while.
  • Options
    When will Luke Shaw be back? Will he recover before the European Championship? Danny Rose looks decent though.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    At least there is a big of red for the cross of St. George this time.

Even when it comes to the kit it feels as though we're terrified to include the red in case it offends the other home nations!!
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Mark Noble is a decent premier league player, nothing more. Would look silly at international level assuming he had long enough to touch the ball without getting sent off.

Hodgson has been building a system throughout the qualifiers with roughly this group of players. He has brought in Vardy, Alli, Dier, Rose, now Drinkwater in that time, so there is room for some new blood. But he's a systems and methods coach is Hodgson, and that's what he's building for.

For players like Albrighton, who has been in pretty good form for a while, what does he bring that Wellbeck, Stirling, Lallana, Vardy, don't? Especially with no international experience. The other one you could add in that group is Milner, who has a lot of top level, Champions League, and international experience.

I get the Walcott questioning, but Sturridge, for my money, is England's best striker and arguably most gifted player on his day. He'd be in my first eleven every single day of the week.

...................Hart
    Clyne..Cahill...Smalling....Bertrand
    ...........Dier....Henderson
    .................Alli
    Stirling.....Sturridge.......Wellbeck

Come the Euros a what will then be clearly overweight and "not match sharp" or some other excuse Wayne Rooney will certainly be in the side because England have a talisman complex. But I'd argue the above 11 are mobile, pretty technically adept, and pretty well experienced despite being relatively young. Assuming most stay fit, I'd argue this will be England's best squad (1-23) that they've had for a major tournament for a while.

That front three would get about 2 touches between against a decent side.
  • Options

We're not going to win 2016

Why not? The Germans made heavy work of Scotland and lost to both Poland and Ireland in matches that mattered. There's no one team that stands out now in the same way Germany and Spain did before the last few tournaments.

Why can't England win it? I think it could be the best chance to win a tournament since 2002.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I think we'll go far in the competition (Quarters), just dont think we're quite there yet.

We'll win our Group though.
  • Options
    Would like to see the following:

Butland
    Clyne - Cahill - Smalling - Bertrand
    Dier
    Alli - Henderson
    Barkley
    Kane - Vardy
  • Options
    The worry is Rooney and even Jack Wilshere will probably be starters even if they aren't fully fit.

Can see why Sturridge and Welbeck are in the squad as Hodgson has faith in them but Walcott is living on past glories.