Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 21 yesterday 14/03/16 and today 15/03/15

124»

Comments

• OK, forget all this match action stuff.
    Has PV squared up to KM yet?
  • 87' Howe heads a deep free-kick over the bar for the hosts #cafc
  • 90+2' Goal. Ebbsfleet pull one back as Howe turns home from almost under the crossbar from a corner #cafc
  • Full-time | Ebbsfleet 1 Charlton 2. The Addicks advance into the final of the Kent Senior Cup! #cafc
  • I hope you enjoyed these updates
  • ross1 said:

I hope you enjoyed these updates

Much appreciated!
  • Thanks Ross1
  • Cheers ross1
  • Would anyone be up for going en masse to support the development squad instead of the first team from now on? Great way to show the team we are still behind them whilst still maintaining the boycott?

Apologies if this is what people already do but if the thousands who were protesting/walked out turned up that would be a great message.
  • Thanks, Ross. Any answer to my Q at top of the thread?
  • Sponsored links:

• Attendance: 630.
  • Fiiish said:

Would anyone be up for going en masse to support the development squad instead of the first team from now on? Great way to show the team we are still behind them whilst still maintaining the boycott?

Apologies if this is what people already do but if the thousands who were protesting/walked out turned up that would be a great message.

Hard for the majority as most games are Monday lunchtimish. Final of this comp will be an evening at Dartford though . Would be good to see big support for that one!
  • edited March 2016
    just back. first half we were all over them. they gave us far too much room. we were able to play some one touch football because of it. ceballos was quality. great goal by him as well.

George Lapslely and Alex Kelly also very good. neat passing.

second half we stepped down a gear. passing was still neat but a bit tedious. still had a couple of efforts in second half which hit the bar.

there goal was from a corner (no surprise there) poor by our goalie Mitov. flapped at it. only real thing he had to do all game bar a couple of shots aimed directly at him.

Zak doesn't look ready up front. lost the ball too many times. KAG had good touch but little threat. Holmes dennis was ok at times but when he losses the ball he struggles to make the effort in coming back. (admittedly he did for their corner which lead to their goal and I know he can anyway just not in this game) Sarr and lennon were never tested and it was hard to see if them being so slow was just cos of that reason.

The only real issue though was the complete lack of width. Barcelona and arsenal have a lot to answer for. it seems as if wide players who cross the ball are no longer wanted. midfield was strong but the lack of option on the wing against a better team would be a problem.
  • Fiiish said:

Would anyone be up for going en masse to support the development squad instead of the first team from now on? Great way to show the team we are still behind them whilst still maintaining the boycott?

That side contained 3 of the failed summer signings!

Surprised they played Ba, Sarr and Ceballos against a non league team, rather than against Millwall u21s Yesterday
  • Fiiish said:

Surprised they played Ba, Sarr and Ceballos against a non league team, rather than against Millwall u21s Yesterday
    The U21s have got a good nucleus and they are keeping it like that. Made more sense to play Sarr etc in this game.
  • It was bloody freezing!

I will echo what others have said:
    Mitov was a spectator all game... Not a night to be a goalie with nothing to do due to the cold.

Our back 4 were never really tested either. THD got down the left wing well beating his man every time. I liked the look of Staunton. Got forward well. The two CBs some their jobs well.

Ceballos' goal was brilliant but there was no pressure on him whatsoever. He was beating his man every time and was the link between the midfield and front men. Lapslie was always looking for the ball and is a very smart player as is Alex Kelly. I though Ba was pretty anonymous in the first half but I think that was due to him being the anchor allowing Lapslie and Kelly to push on.

Unfortunately, I don't think Ansah will make it with us. He's 22 now and lost the ball too often. I know it's hard to judge in a game like today but there are too many players (and younger players) ahead of him in the pecking order. Ansah down well for the second goal.

KAG done okay. He hit the post and then the crossbar so was rather unlucky in that respect.

A solid win. We could've got more. We dominated but that was always expected. Admittedly I didn't see their goal as I was at the other end but I look forward to the final - I think Mitov flapped at it but he did play 90 minutes vs Millwall the day before.
  • I know it's no excuse but Mitov had hardly had a touch for 90 minutes and would have been frozen, so not normal circumstances.

The player who really impressed me was Lapslie. Always looking for the ball and used it wisely.
  • George Lapslie to be the next to come through the Academy... Could he be the creative player that we need or not that type?

Which current player (Charlton or other) would you really compare him to?
  • Lapslie is very hard to figure out. I've seen him a number of times and, whilst very highly thought of, he's never spectacular. More efficient.

As I alluded in my comments after the game - I think he is extremely intelligent as a player and uses that to be in the right place at the right time - frankly that's a massively valuable trait and that's why I think he could make the grade.
  • Sponsored links:

• For those worrying, remember that George Lapslie signed a pro deal a few years back too...
  • George Lapslie to be the next to come through the Academy... Could he be the creative player that we need or not that type?

Which current player (Charlton or other) would you really compare him to?

I reckon he is the next to come through. Signed a pro deal with Joe Gomez so highly thought of.

In terms of comparison's - it's hard to compare. He looked for the ball and tried to play it forward quickly and smartly (similar to Kashi however more attacking). He probably needs to beef up a little before getting near the first team but he's a talent.

In terms of other players that could make the breakthrough, THD is one for the future and has been unlucky that he got injured when Fox was having a stinker. I was impressed by Staunton. I think he could do a job in the conference and it would be good to see a loan move to the conference for the last few games of the season.
  • Swisdom said:

Lapslie is very hard to figure out. I've seen him a number of times and, whilst very highly thought of, he's never spectacular. More efficient.

As I alluded in my comments after the game - I think he is extremely intelligent as a player and uses that to be in the right place at the right time - frankly that's a massively valuable trait and that's why I think he could make the grade.

Think "Kishishev"...
  • Fiiish said:

The development squad has always been able to play 3 over age players, plus a goalkeeper.

BUT... Look at those "first steamers" who played. KAG is certainly still young enough as is THD. But I believe Lennon, Sarr and Caballos may still fit in the age criteria. The only one I'm not sure about is Ba...
  • Fiiish said:

The development squad has always been able to play 3 over age players, plus a goalkeeper.

BUT... Look at those "first steamers" who played. KAG is certainly still young enough as is THD. But I believe Lennon, Sarr and Caballos may still fit in the age criteria. The only one I'm not sure about is Ba...
    Ba is 23-years old
  • Fiiish said:

Ba is 23-years old
    So, all the players, I believe, were of an age to play in the development squad...
  • Fiiish said:

I think my comment was in regards to a suggestion to watch the U21 team instead of the first team, when many of the players have featured in both, and 3 of the players against Ebsfleet were "failed signings by the regime" as opposed to home grown "proper Charlton" players
  • The failed summer signings are all still young. Sarr and Ceballos are only 22. Ba 23. Plenty of years ahead of them.