Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pinocchio posters displayed in an executive box

13»

Comments

• Congratulations on the Pinocchio masks.

The inability of otherwise sensible people to realise that, in London, from a landline, you dial only 87654432 or only 76543201 or 34566802 without bothering with the 020 area code baffles me.

The next time I pick up the phone and try and cut the 7, 8 or 3 off because they are part of the area code...oh, it won't work.

It really winds me up particularly if I'm looking to buy a service that relies on the ability to pick up small details.

Of course it's probably not the same people who you are buying to the ones who wrote the sign.
  • All this fuss over over a telephone number, whatever next!!!!
  • cafcfan said:

se9addick said:

cafcfan said:

se9addick said:

cafcfan said:

Top stuff.

Although, if they really wanted to be demonstrating that they are "installing confidence" as their sign says, it would be a good start if they knew that the telephone code for London is 020, not 0208.

All London telephone numbers have eight digits, most clearly expressed as two sets of four. The London number (020) 8319 5640 can be dialled as 8319 5640 from any other land-line whose area code is also 020.

I know I'm being pedantic, but I tend to refuse to give business to anybody who can't get the basics, like their own telephone number, right.

They have got the number right, just laid it out in a format other than your preference.
    It's not right. The code for London is 020, not 0208. People in Manchester don't lob extra digits from their telephone number on to 0161. Why people in London do it is beyond me.
    But the number is 0208 xxx. You aren't being pedantic, you're simply wrong.
    I'm not, you are.

The 0208 misconception which you seem to have is specifically mentioned. It is left over from the old 0171 and 0181 days and needs to be knocked on the head.

Here's 8 reasons why getting your number right is important. The London thing gets a specific mention.

area-codes.org.uk/correct-phone-number-formatting.php
    @cafcfan is right - even when the numbers first changed the adverts for it had 'that's the code' after the 020.

But.

If you're outside London it makes no difference whatsoever. If you're inside London you know, but most people dial the code anyway. Wherever you are in England, dial that number and you'll get them won't you?

It's not like it's an apostrophe in the wrong place now is it.
  • That said, if your company's called 'Data Techniques' presumably accuracy in data is quite important...
  • edited March 2016
    rikofold said:

That said, if your company's called 'Data Techniques' presumably accuracy in data is quite important...

But, perhaps the technique is to present the data in such a way that it will get attention...

And let's face it, with a box at The Valley, the target audience is us.

Looks to me like it worked spectacularly as a form of viral marketing.

It's certainly, if I may misappropriate the term, trending among those of us who, on being accused of being "just pedantic", would reply that we're "not just pedantic"....
  • Gawd blimey well said & dare I say well observed NornIrishAddick
  • edited March 2016
    I have it sussed, the angst can be explained and put to rest.
    Mobile telephones demand the whole number, yet land line telephones can get away with less. It is easy to get mixed up if you live in London and use both a mobile telephone, and a landline.
    #sethepeacemaker.
  • edited March 2016

Stig practising hard in his workshop :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• RedChaser said:

Stig practising hard in his workshop :wink:

I just tweeted that ha
  • Stig said:

Ha ha, if stupid little Katy Mare is upset by a couple of posters, just watch her head explode when this goes over the front of the North Upper on Sunday!

If only :smile:
  • stonemuse said:

Stig said:

Ha ha, if stupid little Katy Mare is upset by a couple of posters, just watch her head explode when this goes over the front of the North Upper on Sunday!

If only :smile:
    Mr F is whittling as we speak.....

:smile:

• PaddyP17 said:

TO CLEAR UP THE PHONE DEBATE:

- It doesn't matter as ultimately we're all going to die. Dial some numbers, don't dial some numbers, dial them in the right or wrong order, thrash about in the ocean of despair as you slowly realise how insignificant you are, whatever.

Done.

Yeah, I hate those "helpline/support" menus too....
  • Do we have a "Thread of the Year" award on here? Because if so, let me be the first to nominate this one not only for 2016, but for 2017, 2018, and 2019, when presumably the thread will be ended not because the debate is over, but because the Alien Reptilian race have taken over (who knew David Icke was right all along) and humans are given the ability to communicate through telekinesis. I fully expect another thread to then pop up about the correct way to get people's attention through said mind-communication system.

My only regret about this thread is that the debate is over details I cannot give input on, otherwise I'd be in the trenches with you.