Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pinocchio posters displayed in an executive box

WSSWSS
edited March 2016 in General Charlton
Is this real?

Comments

• I bloody hope so.....
  • se9addick said:

cafcfan said:

Top stuff.

Although, if they really wanted to be demonstrating that they are "installing confidence" as their sign says, it would be a good start if they knew that the telephone code for London is 020, not 0208.

All London telephone numbers have eight digits, most clearly expressed as two sets of four. The London number (020) 8319 5640 can be dialled as 8319 5640 from any other land-line whose area code is also 020.

I know I'm being pedantic, but I tend to refuse to give business to anybody who can't get the basics, like their own telephone number, right.

They have got the number right, just laid it out in a format other than your preference.
    It's not right. The code for London is 020, not 0208. People in Manchester don't lob extra digits from their telephone number on to 0161. Why people in London do it is beyond me.
  • cafcfan said:

se9addick said:

cafcfan said:

Top stuff.

Although, if they really wanted to be demonstrating that they are "installing confidence" as their sign says, it would be a good start if they knew that the telephone code for London is 020, not 0208.

All London telephone numbers have eight digits, most clearly expressed as two sets of four. The London number (020) 8319 5640 can be dialled as 8319 5640 from any other land-line whose area code is also 020.

I know I'm being pedantic, but I tend to refuse to give business to anybody who can't get the basics, like their own telephone number, right.

They have got the number right, just laid it out in a format other than your preference.
    It's not right. The code for London is 020, not 0208. People in Manchester don't lob extra digits from their telephone number on to 0161. Why people in London do it is beyond me.
    But the number is 0208 xxx. You aren't being pedantic, you're simply wrong.
  • edited March 2016
    cafcfan said:

se9addick said:

cafcfan said:

Top stuff.

Depends which part of London your from... If your Central London then your number is 0207 if your far enough out then your 0208 if your in Crayford etc. there is a good chance that your 01322

https://www.citynumbers.co.uk/0208-number/

London has 3 separate STD codes. There is outer london, which is the 0208 number
  • Bloody hell damned if they do damned if they don't - well done to all @ Data Techniques a "Partner" protesting, Miss big nose will be mortified.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

cafcfan said:

se9addick said:

cafcfan said:

Top stuff.

But the number is 0208 xxx. You aren't being pedantic, you're simply wrong.
    I'm not, you are.

The 0208 misconception which you seem to have is specifically mentioned. It is left over from the old 0171 and 0181 days and needs to be knocked on the head.

Here's 8 reasons why getting your number right is important. The London thing gets a specific mention.

area-codes.org.uk/correct-phone-number-formatting.php
  • I'm with you cafcfan. And what really annoys me is when you give a Londoner you're 8 digit number they can't get their head round it and have to say 0208.

But anyway top stuff.
  • Fascinating though it is to discover the telephone number spotter sub genre, do you not think a) it's really unimportant, given the context of the picture and b) nowhere near as interesting as trains????
  • Well said Addickted2TheReds - I find this oh so strange that here is our club being systematically dissected by Belgian money, a generation of fans likely to be lost and comments are aplenty about a bloody sign.

• Shows how even the clubs fans are on the slide, none of us have the budget to get down to the station to look at trains, we're stuck examining phone numbers.

BTW I know a couple of the chaps who were in that box last night, I'm sure it's for real.
  • Never knew they existed before now. Great advertising! The others should all get involved.
  • I think you chaps miss the point it's ALL ABOUT PINOCHIO!

Bollox to the phone number.

She is our favorite Puppet!
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes I'm going to see if I can throw any business their way!

And I'll take my 0208 issues to the thread it's meant for!
  • cafcfan said:

se9addick said:

cafcfan said:

Top stuff.

Depends which part of London your from... If your Central London then your number is 0207 if your far enough out then your 0208 if your in Crayford etc. there is a good chance that your 01322

London has 3 separate STD codes. There is outer london, which is the 0208 number
    i always think of sexually transmitted diseases when i see STD code.
  • Data Techniques carry out a lot of work for London Underground, they are based on the Royal Arsenal trading estate, I've had many dealings with them over the years although I'm now on crossrail so no longer have contact with them.
  • Well Done Data Techniques.

• edited March 2016

cafcfan said:

se9addick said:

cafcfan said:

Top stuff.

Just for the sake of clarity, no it doesn't have three codes. It has one which is 020. Which is demonstrated by the fact that if you are on a 020 landline you can ring any other 020 number without including the 020. But you have to include the 7, 8 or 3.

Similarly, the old 7 inner London and 8 outer London thing was abandoned when the new 020 3 numbers were introduced. It is now just luck of the draw as to whether new subscribers get an eight digit number starting with 7,8 or 3. Where you live doesn't enter into it any more. That site you linked to must either be utterly useless or just plain out of date.

Read the opening para or two here which shows you are far from alone in your thoughts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_telephone_code_misconceptions

• edited March 2016
  • I think you chaps miss the point it's ALL ABOUT PINOCHIO!

Bollox to the phone number.

She is our favorite Puppet!

Good god... Hadnt noticed the Pinnochio signs!!
    I genuinely hadn't either until this comment.

Also, I'd like to add that I think for further clarities sake, they should add a country code. Charlton Athletic is an international business with an international...er....brand? As such, you should accommodate for international customer.
  • But everyone knows it's +32, err, I mean +44.
  • cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

se9addick said:

cafcfan said:

Top stuff.

Just for the sake of clarity, no it doesn't have three codes. It has one which is 020. Which is demonstrated by the fact that if you are on a 020 landline you can ring any other 020 number without including the 020. But you have to include the 7, 8 or 3.

Similarly, the old 7 inner London and 8 outer London thing was abandoned when the new 020 3 numbers were introduced. It is now just luck of the draw as to whether new subscribers get an eight digit number starting with 7,8 or 3. Where you live doesn't enter into it any more. That site you linked to must either be utterly useless or just plain out of date.

Read the opening para or two here which shows you are far from alone in your thoughts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_telephone_code_misconceptions

Brilliant!