Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pinocchio posters displayed in an executive box

Comments

• I had tried to bring attention to this last night on the match thread however it was a little hard to see due to lighting... Much better picture!
  • My mate lives in Orpington, his number starts with 01689.

Next you'll be telling me Orpington isn't in London, it's in Kent.
  • SDAddick said:

I think you chaps miss the point it's ALL ABOUT PINOCHIO!

Bollox to the phone number.

She is our favorite Puppet!

Good god... Hadnt noticed the Pinnochio signs!!
    I genuinely hadn't either until this comment.

Also, I'd like to add that I think for further clarities sake, they should add a country code. Charlton Athletic is an international business with an international...er....brand? As such, you should accommodate for international customer.
    Your a nice bloke @SDAddick and hate to do this but.... Whoosh!! ;)

• Thank god I'm pretty
  • This thread has well and truly jumped the shark!

I think this is required.....
  • Bloody hell damned if they do damned if they don't - well done to all @ Data Techniques a "Partner" protesting, Miss big nose will be mortified.

Indeed.

But shouldn't we all be emailing them to request they consider withdrawing their patronage whilst Rd pulls the strings ?

• Sponsored links:

• cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

se9addick said:

cafcfan said:

Top stuff.

Although, if they really wanted to be demonstrating that they are "installing confidence" as their sign says, it would be a good start if they knew that the telephone code for London is 020, not 0208.

All London telephone numbers have eight digits, most clearly expressed as two sets of four. The London number (020) 8319 5640 can be dialled as 8319 5640 from any other land-line whose area code is also 020.

I know I'm being pedantic, but I tend to refuse to give business to anybody who can't get the basics, like their own telephone number, right.

They have got the number right, just laid it out in a format other than your preference.
    It's not right. The code for London is 020, not 0208. People in Manchester don't lob extra digits from their telephone number on to 0161. Why people in London do it is beyond me.
    Depends which part of London your from... If your Central London then your number is 0207 if your far enough out then your 0208 if your in Crayford etc. there is a good chance that your 01322

https://www.citynumbers.co.uk/0208-number/

London has 3 separate STD codes. There is outer london, which is the 0208 number
    Just for the sake of clarity, no it doesn't have three codes. It has one which is 020. Which is demonstrated by the fact that if you are on a 020 landline you can ring any other 020 number without including the 020. But you have to include the 7, 8 or 3.

Similarly, the old 7 inner London and 8 outer London thing was abandoned when the new 020 3 numbers were introduced. It is now just luck of the draw as to whether new subscribers get an eight digit number starting with 7,8 or 3. Where you live doesn't enter into it any more. That site you linked to must either be utterly useless or just plain out of date.

Read the opening para or two here which shows you are far from alone in your thoughts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_telephone_code_misconceptions

I Spent 43 years in telecoms (see picture 1) and I make cafcfan right. The rest of you (see picture 2) are getting your wires crossed.
  • I thought I'd bump this, as it's not had enough views & the title should be changed to

"Pinocchio posters displayed in an executive box"
  • cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

se9addick said:

cafcfan said:

Top stuff.

Although, if they really wanted to be demonstrating that they are "installing confidence" as their sign says, it would be a good start if they knew that the telephone code for London is 020, not 0208.

All London telephone numbers have eight digits, most clearly expressed as two sets of four. The London number (020) 8319 5640 can be dialled as 8319 5640 from any other land-line whose area code is also 020.

I know I'm being pedantic, but I tend to refuse to give business to anybody who can't get the basics, like their own telephone number, right.

They have got the number right, just laid it out in a format other than your preference.
    It's not right. The code for London is 020, not 0208. People in Manchester don't lob extra digits from their telephone number on to 0161. Why people in London do it is beyond me.
    Depends which part of London your from... If your Central London then your number is 0207 if your far enough out then your 0208 if your in Crayford etc. there is a good chance that your 01322

London has 3 separate STD codes. There is outer london, which is the 0208 number
    Just for the sake of clarity, no it doesn't have three codes. It has one which is 020. Which is demonstrated by the fact that if you are on a 020 landline you can ring any other 020 number without including the 020. But you have to include the 7, 8 or 3.

Similarly, the old 7 inner London and 8 outer London thing was abandoned when the new 020 3 numbers were introduced. It is now just luck of the draw as to whether new subscribers get an eight digit number starting with 7,8 or 3. Where you live doesn't enter into it any more. That site you linked to must either be utterly useless or just plain out of date.

Read the opening para or two here which shows you are far from alone in your thoughts.

If you dial the number advertised, they answer. Not sure how that can be wrong. Except on a CL forum thread of course.
  • I thought I'd bump this, as it's not had enough views & the title should be changed to

Just for you
  • cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

se9addick said:

cafcfan said:

Top stuff.

If you dial the number advertised, they answer. Not sure how that can be wrong. Except on a CL forum thread of course.
    Okay, I'll try to be more specific. (With thanks to Wiki). Since June 2005 new numbers in London have begun to be allocated with an initial "3" - for example, (020) 3222 1234. Owing to the lingering confusion, people unaware of the correct format are beginning to erroneously assume that there is now a new London code, "0203", and some people confuse this with the dialling code for Coventry (which used to be 0203 prior to PhONEday). Some people report mis-dialling of London 3xxx xxxx numbers, where callers are dialling 0207 in front of the local number part instead of just 020. This call connects to the owner of an (020) 73xx xxxx number (in the process, ignoring the final digit actually dialled) instead of to the expected person. Get it now?
  • cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

se9addick said:

cafcfan said:

Top stuff.

Who do you think you are? The reincarnation of Alan Turing perhaps?
    (ps if it should be 'whom' rather than 'who' I really don't want to know - no really)
  • Charlton fans.
  • cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

se9addick said:

cafcfan said:

Top stuff.

Okay, I'll try to be more specific. (With thanks to Wiki). Since June 2005 new numbers in London have begun to be allocated with an initial "3" - for example, (020) 3222 1234. Owing to the lingering confusion, people unaware of the correct format are beginning to erroneously assume that there is now a new London code, "0203", and some people confuse this with the dialling code for Coventry (which used to be 0203 prior to PhONEday). Some people report mis-dialling of London 3xxx xxxx numbers, where callers are dialling 0207 in front of the local number part instead of just 020. This call connects to the owner of an (020) 73xx xxxx number (in the process, ignoring the final digit actually dialled) instead of to the expected person. Get it now?
    Are you on a wind up? no one gives a fuck about the phone number, the OP was talking about the posters. No wonder why people call us trainspotters.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

se9addick said:

cafcfan said:

Top stuff.

They have advertised their number and if you dial it, they answer. If they advertised it as 020 8318 5640, you would still get through so it isn't wrong. The problem might be better addressed if people gave their full numbers just like Data Techniques.
  • Funnily enough I made a phone call today and got through to some woman who called herself Godiva. Her voice was a bit trembly, and first I thought it was the Seth effect, but then I realised she was shivering with the cold.
    Anyway we couldn't talk for long because she told me she had to give her horse a seeing to on the other side of town.
  • This thread will be talked about for generations
  • edited March 2016
    shirty5 said:

Well Done Data Techniques.

Who puts the signs on the boxes ? Is it the box holder or do the club employ a sign writer/erector who deals with all of the boxes :-)
  • seth plum said:

Funnily enough I made a phone call today and got through to some woman who called herself Godiva. Her voice was a bit trembly, and first I thought it was the Seth effect, but then I realised she was shivering with the cold.
    Anyway we couldn't talk for long because she told me she had to give her horse a seeing to on the other side of town.

Are you sure you didn't get a crossed line with Catherine the Great????
  • WSS said:

I thought I'd bump this, as it's not had enough views & the title should be changed to

Just for you
    Thanks. Bump.
  • shirty5 said:

Well Done Data Techniques.

Who puts the signs on the boxes ? Is it the box holder or do the club employ a sign writer/erector who deals with all of the boxes :-)
    Greenwich University students
  • LoOkOuT said:

I've just bought one of everything they sell.

Wow, how on earth did you manage to get through by phone??