Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brentford v Charlton | Sat 05 Mar | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Brentford v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 05 March 2016 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Brendan Malone (Wiltshire)

Introduction

First things first, apologies for the lateness of this Preview… Illness and Annual Leave have kept me away from my keyboard the last couple of days so haven’t had the time to get writing, I won’t like I did consider handing over duties this Saturday but then a thought entered my head… If we were to win this Saturday is it because of me that we’ve gone on such a bad run this season, are my previews proving to be a jinx for the team?

Two matches at the Valley this season though have been the complete reverse of each other… Back at the end of 2015 we played host to Leeds United, that match ended 0-0, on paper the score made the result look boring but in truth it was a stella performance by the Goalkeepers with both Stephen Henderson and Marco Silvesti making some top saves… Last Saturday was the opposite and fortune was on the side of the Strikers; Yaya Sanogo would score his first goal (and hat-trick) in English Football yet it was a fellow Frenchman (who we’ll call Jann to avoid upset) who stole the show ensuring that all three points went to Berkshire.

In the last preview I said that it was imperative that we don’t lose too many more matches… That has become even more important, this Saturday we play our second last London Derby of the season, anything but a win against Brentford and the fans will be questioning whether the Season Ticket price (which have today been released) are worthy of League One Football.

The Opposition
Name: Brentford | Manager: Dean Smith
Ground: Griffin Park | Nickname: The Bees

When Guy Luzon was sacked, countless Charlton fans wanted our owners to sign someone with experience in the English Divisions, instead Mr Roland decided to appoint Karel Fraeye, the reason being that Carole not only had experience of working with laundry yet also had experience of promoting youth players… If only our Belgian owner spent more time in England he’d have found the right person guiding a side fancied for League One relegation (sound familiar) yet were fighting for promotion to this very Division.

Of course the man I’m speaking about is Dean Smith (now Manager of Brentford), he spent four years as Walsall Manager, they aren’t the most glamourous (or richest) of Birmingham clubs so Smith was naturally required to relying on his Youth Academy (sound familiar) which worked to great effect… Since moving to Brentford (who don’t seem to rely on youth) you have to wonder… What could he have done at a club like Charlton where its owner seem to be taking the same approach as Walsall?

Charlton Team News
Last Saturday saw the Addicks line up with just a single Englishman in the starting eleven (Roger Johnson), even then many wished he wasn’t… As my preview is being written after the Press Conference I can write this section with more certainty… Sadly the majority of our starting eleven are still out injured so we’ll be without the likes of Johnnie Jackson, Chris Solly and Igor Vetokele.

Of course there was some good news with Alou Diarra returning, yet after enduring 90mins for the first time in some months last week, will he be ready this Saturday for the same again? – Jordan Cousins is a possibility to return but will Jose Riga want to risk it after the Midfielder was rushed back against Preston (without any success).

Henderson
Teixeira … Johnson … Fanni
Motta … Diarra … Bergdich … Young
Gudmundsson
Sanogo … Makienok

Substitutes Bench: Pope … Sarr … Fox … Ba … Poyet … Harriott … Ghoochanniejad

Prediction
Brentford 1-1 Charlton Athletic

Comments

• You are getting late putting these up.
  • 2-0 Charlton
  • I really want to see a win...so sod it time to be positive for the team at least.......3-1 addicks.
    Match thread may be a little late starting.....around 2.15, but will aim for the usual 1.45 start.

Yeah havent been well this week, had been confined to bed on Weds / Thurs
  • Comfortable a win 4-0.
  • If Roger Johnson plays then it will be a 4-0 thrashing. If he doesn't it will be a comfortable 2-0 win for Brentford. Where's that season ticket renewal form...
  • Heart says win. Football pundits' head says 3-1 to Brentford.
  • 2-1 to Charlton
  • hope you're feeling better F.A.
    don't know why but I'm going for a 1-3 win

Hope you're feeling better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Two teams in need of a win.... 0-0
  • Away win 1-2.

You are getting late putting these up.

Yeah much better thanks... Just a Chest Infection which left me void of any energy whilst my legs just wouldnt work

(Think I've caught it from the Charlton squad)

Yeah much better thanks... Just a Chest Infection which left me void of any energy whilst my legs just wouldnt work

JJitus ? :wink:
  • 1-3 away win - but only if Diarra drops back and replaces the hapless RJ and cousins comes into the middle...if Cousins isn't ready then start Poyet.
  • I can see us getting another 3 goals but Brentford will not get 4...so 3 - 1 to the mighty Charlton...come on you rip roaring reds :)
  • I'm praying Diarra plays at CB
  • Brentford 2-0 Charlton
  • Brentford leaking goals so are we, going for 3-2 Charlton and got my money where my mouth is
  • firstly, apology not accepted.

3-0 Brentford, it's got that bad that anything less will be a bonus.
  • Sponsored links:

• Like to see Sanogo and Lookman pulling Harley Dean and veteran O'Connor all over the pitch.
  • draw .. not enough to still give us a chance of avoiding relegation

Brentford 1 v CAFC 1
  • I'd forget RJ and drop Diarra back inot the back 3 bringing Cousins oor Poyet in the holding role. Lookman must be on the bench
  • Another defeat, the score doesn't matter.
  • Hendo
    Motta diarra tex young
    Ba poyet cousins
    Jbg
    Sanogo mak
    1-2 to the addicks

It does if it comes down to goal difference. That said our is worse though.
  • edited March 2016
    This was the comment of one of our defenders last Saturday.
    after Jose Riga asked WTF was going on at the back.

"What is this life if, full of care,
    We have no time to stand and stare.
    No time to stand on the post
    And stare as another header by the ghost.
    No time to see, where we should pass,
    Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
    No time to see, in broad daylight,
    the cafc players are full of fright.
    No time to turn at the strikers glance
    And watch their feet, how they can dance.
    No time to wait till the ball whistles in the net.
    Did all the fans have Yann on a winning bet.
    Katrien Enriches that smile as each goals go in.
    Charlton are being put in the bin.
    A poor life this if, full of care,
    We have no time to stand and stare."

New day,
    New hope,no hope or bob hope,
    On the road to League 1 or the great Escape ?

Brentford 1 Charlton 2

Mk Dons will seal our fate, one way or the other.

Enjoy the day.

Sorry to hear that mate, but cheers for posting this and hope you're on the mend. In the other thread I tried the tactic of "pick most of the players, you're bound to be right eventually." But I could certainly see your team being the starting 11. Riga clearly trusts Bergdich, and I'm not sure the same can be said of the two natural central midfielders you have on the bench, Ba and Poyet.

If he does start the way you have us lined up, it would also allow him to go 4-4-2 with a midfield diamond during the match, shifting Fanni to RB and having Motta and Bergdich shuttling, with JBG as the 10 and Diarra at the base. Not ideal, and hopefully we'll have Cousins fit, but it makes sense to a degree.

All that said, it would be a rather damning indictment of Poyet's form and Ba's rawness.

It does if it comes down to goal difference. That said our is worse though.
    lol! Good one.
  • edited March 2016
    Either the back 3 have spent all week working out how to defend (especially RoJo) or we move Diarra back and bring Cousins (if fit) or Poyet into midfield. Surely someone can get him to play like he used to?