Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

I am considering two options.

Comments

• Spent my early life in Gravesend so Ebbsfleet would probably be my new club unless a new Charlton comes from the ashes. Weren't they also one of charlton's nursery clubs in 50s?
  • Before I was old enough to go to the Valley, I used to support Erith and Belvedere and I still have an affinity with the Deres. I will not be renewing my season ticket under this current regime and from next season I will pick and choose between watching Charlton and the Deres.

There is no way I could even consider 'supporting' any other club, other than attending a one off match as a 'neutral'.
  • TEL said:

Best plan would be to boycott the home games and just go to away games......that way youre supporting the team and not Duchatelet. Ive tried watching teams here in Australia...it just aint the same so Ive stopped bothering. There is only one club for me and thats Charlton.

The problem is that won't happen, It's highly likely we're not going to sell Fulham out. That is a game for people to truly show they are "supporting the team and not the regime," but it appears there's quite a few boycotting this too. Which tells me there are many who don't fancy it when the chips are down.
  • buckshee said:

I'm also quite close to Ebbsfleet. I won't be renewing at the Valley next season unless Roland and his puppet go so I'll probably head down to Stonebridge for my fix as many times as Charlton. Should my son decide that they are the team for him then so be it.

Well, I'm similarly close and these were my thoughts too. However this week I learned that KEH are backing the 3rd Thames Crossing on our doorstep, so they can fuck off too. I'll just give football a miss and watch GRFC eggchasers I reckon.

• TEL said:

Best plan would be to boycott the home games and just go to away games......that way youre supporting the team and not Duchatelet. Ive tried watching teams here in Australia...it just aint the same so Ive stopped bothering. There is only one club for me and thats Charlton.

The problem is that won't happen, It's highly likely we're not going to sell Fulham out. That is a game for people to truly show they are "supporting the team and not the regime," but it appears there's quite a few boycotting this too. Which tells me there are many who don't fancy it when the chips are down.
    We just have to trust that the hardcore support prevail.....just like the Selhurst days....we can rise again.
  • Ebsfleet, Welling or Dartford maybe....but West Ham Noooooooooooooo.
  • As expected not a very popular posting, but thanks to all. Going to West Ham would be to watch Premiership football. I have endured all sorts of nonsense from Charlton over 60 years and my support has never wavered, but this is no longer OUR Charlton. Premiership football is terrific, and when you watch a game between two teams neither of which you support it is a wholly different experience. You watch everything from the two teams without having a biased opinion, and appreciate everything good that you see. Watching the situation at Charlton right now is no fun, not worth spending your money on, it is supposed to be entertaining not excruciating so good luck all as you find you can actually count the crowd at the game. If I live long enough I will be back when the useless twosome are gone.
  • Charlton till I die, but probably no season ticket next year and possibly a lot less trips to the Valley. Love Saturday afternoon at the football so might pop along to my nearest which is Peterborough, get to go from time to time and it kind of reminds me of when I started going to Charlton back in the 70's
  • I won't be renewing my season ticket (or my Daughter's) next season......not whilst KM & RD are "running" things.
  • TEL said:

The problem is that our chips have been for close to ten years now.

There's supporting the team and then there's wasting your own time and money on an inferior product that no sane customer would pay for.
  • Sponsored links:

• buckshee said:

I'm also quite close to Ebbsfleet. I won't be renewing at the Valley next season unless Roland and his puppet go so I'll probably head down to Stonebridge for my fix as many times as Charlton. Should my son decide that they are the team for him then so be it.

This is the crux for me-I can just about put up with all this misery because I've had some good times with Charlton. My son has been going for a season and a half and, bar a handful of exceptions, all he has seen is poor performances, a toxic atmosphere and his Dad getting angry and using lots of naughty words. I genuinely can't keep dragging him along when he could doing something much more fun but I don't want to detach him from football because of the situation at Charlton.

Therefore we'll be watching football elsewhere next season on Saturdays and I'll go to some away games and night matches with my mates.

Fuck you Roland and fuck you Katrien.
  • Granpa said:

As expected not a very popular posting, but thanks to all. Going to West Ham would be to watch Premiership football. I have endured all sorts of nonsense from Charlton over 60 years and my support has never wavered, but this is no longer OUR Charlton. Premiership football is terrific, and when you watch a game between two teams neither of which you support it is a wholly different experience. You watch everything from the two teams without having a biased opinion, and appreciate everything good that you see. Watching the situation at Charlton right now is no fun, not worth spending your money on, it is supposed to be entertaining not excruciating so good luck all as you find you can actually count the crowd at the game. If I live long enough I will be back when the useless twosome are gone.

I respect you are a long serving, dedicated fan, you've put enough years in, but West Ham wouldn't be right imo, even if you say you are going there for Prem football.

It isn't terrific imo. It's usually exciting given the pace of the game, but if someone gave me tickets for Villa vs Sunderland or Ebbsfleet vs whoever, for me there wouldn't be much difference in it. There's a lot of shit games in the Prem that often get on TV and I think no thanks. West Ham are an entertaining side at the moment granted, but if you have to do either, go to Ebbsfleet.
  • Granpa said:

As expected not a very popular posting, but thanks to all. Going to West Ham would be to watch Premiership football. I have endured all sorts of nonsense from Charlton over 60 years and my support has never wavered, but this is no longer OUR Charlton. Premiership football is terrific, and when you watch a game between two teams neither of which you support it is a wholly different experience. You watch everything from the two teams without having a biased opinion, and appreciate everything good that you see. Watching the situation at Charlton right now is no fun, not worth spending your money on, it is supposed to be entertaining not excruciating so good luck all as you find you can actually count the crowd at the game. If I live long enough I will be back when the useless twosome are gone.

I wouldn't buy a season ticket for West Ham but I could be tempted to go to watch the odd game there. It is probably going to be cheaper than most Championship games (and League One for that matter) and it might be the only place that one can get a ticket to watch Premier League football, at all.
  • Granpa said:

I totally understand where you're coming from Granpa. I watch Premier League games and MOTD every week. There're so many great games to enjoy, the latest example being Man City v Leicester. You simply don't get so constantly stressed or anxious being a neutral.

But I can never (emotionally) support another club even though I'm thousands of miles away and the temptation/danger I face is much much bigger - I could easily change team if I want to. So it's sad to see long-term fans like you turn their backs on the club - Duchatelet and his CEO really have done something that almost no previous owners did. Well, maybe I would do the same (stop going to Charlton games) if I were a local fan. Making the Belgians richer? No thanks.
  • TEL said:

There's supporting the team and then there's wasting your own time and money on an inferior product that no sane customer would pay for.
    That's fine as long as you are not in the "Support the team not the regime brigade" I started going in the David Whyte era which weren't great with low crowds and similar experience atmosphere to current times, I've been blessed to see the good years of the premiership and beating the likes of Chelsea all the time. I however have come to love Charlton so much that even in the grim times the last minute winner at Southend felt like winning the FA cup. If everyone had that attitude of quitting because of not having a successful 10 years then there would be no football league teams. One of the teams that Charlton regularly played when I first started going was Tranmere in the second tier, now look where they are. That's one of the great things about football the unpredictability of it and the fact that unlike certain other sports it has relegation/promotion.
  • cabbles said:

Granpa said:

I respect you are a long serving, dedicated fan, you've put enough years in, but West Ham wouldn't be right imo, even if you say you are going there for Prem football.

It isn't terrific imo. It's usually exciting given the pace of the game, but if someone gave me tickets for Villa vs Sunderland or Ebbsfleet vs whoever, for me there wouldn't be much difference in it. There's a lot of shit games in the Prem that often get on TV and I think no thanks. West Ham are an entertaining side at the moment granted, but if you have to do either, go to Ebbsfleet.
    Some that also are shown on TV. Watched Stoke & Liverpool play (although it was a Carling cup game) and it was dreadfully boring.
  • TEL said:

That's fine as long as you are not in the "Support the team not the regime brigade" I started going in the David Whyte era which weren't great with low crowds and similar experience atmosphere to current times, I've been blessed to see the good years of the premiership and beating the likes of Chelsea all the time. I however have come to love Charlton so much that even in the grim times the last minute winner at Southend felt like winning the FA cup. If everyone had that attitude of quitting because of not having a successful 10 years then there would be no football league teams. One of the teams that Charlton regularly played when I first started going was Tranmere in the second tier, now look where they are. That's one of the great things about football the unpredictability of it and the fact that unlike certain other sports it has relegation/promotion.
    Understand that. Supported Charlton all my life, season ticket holder in league 1, first went when the players changed in cabins.

Now I'm older and I get two days off a week. I'm not prepared to waste one of them being miserable
  • I'm a little muffed with our local vicar, should I become a muslim or a Buddhist?
  • Stig said:

I'm a little muffed with our local vicar, should I become a muslim or a Buddhist?

Muffed? Who is the vicar, Dawn French?

• Oops, meant to be miffed!
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd ground hop the non-league circuit.
  • As long as you let people know when cheap train tickets are on sale mate:)
  • Won't be renewing next season. Partly down to the regime, but also down to my youngest lad playing U13 football and eldest playing U15 rugby - not mug weekend left otherwise. If I do get a chance might pitch up for the odd game in SE7.
    I've moved to Rochester in the last 4 months so the journey to The Valley is not as attractive as it was from Mottingham. But not sure I can bring myself to visit the Gills - although it may be an attractively close away game next season......
  • Granpa said:

It is becoming more and more obvious that getting rid of the current owner might prove to be impossible, or at best very lengthy. I will never support any other Club but Charlton, but basically I am not prepared to give the odious so and so any more of my money, he can hit the lower leagues without me. I am therefore considering two options.

1) Ebsfleet is a shorter, cheaper and easier journey for me, it has a wealthy owner who does not appear to live with the fairies, and the involvement of Peter Varney who actually has good experience of running a football club. They are ambitious and before long might find themselves in the same league as Charlton.

2) Get myself a season ticket at the Olympic Park, and spend some time enjoying Premiership football just up the road from The Valley, and seeing a lot of South London youngsters become West Ham supporters.

One thing I am not going to do is to allow the Belgian nitwit and his useless puppet to continue to take the piss. His political ideas appear to have been a failure, and the same will happen to his football network. What next I wonder, answers on a postcard to the nearest Asylum.

What did you decide?
  • Hmm. I think we are hitting a really dangerous crossroads here. Support a different team not the regime? This isn't the way forward l. We need to get behind OUR team NOW.
  • As long as you let people know when cheap train tickets are on sale mate:)

Oh yeah, between Clive, you and me we can keep the masses happy!
  • F*ck me, where do I start. Granpa, I understand the frustration. But you don't just go and support another team. The idea is ridiculous, anathema, a contradiction in terms. You either support Charlton or you don't. If you don't want to support them, that's it, give up on football.

When the football gods chose Charlton, that's it. IF you are a sad git with nothing else going on in your life, it must be unbearable watching Charlton. But hopefully it's not the be and end all to your life. So, by all means, go and do something more useful with your time for a bit. And then come back. I resent spending my precious free time watching a team that is badly organised, poorly managed, etc. And I won't take my daughter there at the moment, although she has a season ticket. But I still have my family and mates to have a drink and a moan with.

And I won't give up on the club as we will see this lot out. Most of us have been here a long time and have seen it all before - that's why we're not customers and can't be treated as such.

Most of us despaired when we heard those people who had turned up 'to watch Premiership football' talk a lot of bollocks about Curbs 'taking us as far as he could' and we knew what would happen. The product that is Premiership football is sometimes beautiful but often cynical and corrupt - West Ham would feature high on the list of the most cynical - the way they influenced Defoe's signature, the way they cheated their way out of relegation, and now the Tax Payers' stadium. I could go on and on. Yes, I can appreciate another team and watch a neutral game, but that's not the same at all. There's no passion, it's not the same experience whatsoever.

Does that mean I don't want Charlton to get promoted and 'do a Leicester' - of course I do. It wasn't too long ago that most neutrals supporting their local teams wanted to 'do a Charlton' and we can get back there.

Right now, the football is difficult to stomach. And whilst I don't see RD going soon, the protests are having an effect. There's a lot of bullshit coming out but there are some small actions too. Let's keep up the pressure, influence what we can, control what we can and tough it out.

And support the team - no more f*cking booing players, it's self-indulgent and totally counter-productive !!!

That's it, rant over, too much wine!
  • To be quite honest, I can understand where @Granpa is coming from. I can't say I'm a fan of his choice of West Ham, but I can certainly understand the sentiment.

I've spent £66 on 3 tickets for tomorrow, a game that I really do not want to see - I'm going for three reasons:

- A chance to have a catch up with a family member;
    - I'll regret going if I don't, even though I expect I'll regret going anyway;
    - Because I want my voice heard at the protests.

Compare that with the ability to take a 15/20 minute wander down to Hayes Lane (ok, Bromley are away tomorrow!) to take in a football match, catch-up with my brother and grab a take away back at home? I know for certain that I don't feel as negative about Bromley, and that I feel pretty good giving them my cash for food and drink too. Logically speaking, it's a no brainer - I can avoid the politics, have an easier time getting there and actually just enjoy some football.

Say I lived near a Premier League team (Feck off anyone who suggests the club the other side of Beckenham! ;)) - I could opt to go there for similar reasons, easy distance and the ability to enjoy 90 minutes of football and not feel like I'm supporting something negative if I dare have a pie and a pint. On top of that I could watch the likes of Leicester, Arsenal, Man City and so on.. From a footballing perspective, this is once again a no-brainer - it has all the benefits of watching Bromley whilst being able to take in the footballing delights of apparently one of the worlds best leagues.

Alas, I'm going to go tomorrow and then next week to Fulham despite having no real hope of witnessing anything decent on the pitch. Why? I really don't know, partly because I can't see any other team giving me that excitement or thrill that I get watching Charlton I guess. I don't really like going to The Valley at the moment, but I still seem to be going at every chance I've got. It's a funny old game.
  • I was told that West Ham have already sold all the season tickets they intend to release for next year. I tried to Google it but after three pages of adverts trying to sell me premier league tickets I gave up looking to see if it is true. Maybe I put the wrong phrase in to Google.