Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Head of Communication

Comments

• After Our Tracey, Roly's Kat and Baroni Mel.
    Who will be coming to CAFC next ?
  • mogodon said:

PL54 said:

The Comms job isn't too big and despite some dissent in the car park, not very challenging. That said it can make a big difference in a largely Business to Consumer (B2C) environment. I would have written Business to Fan (B2F) but for the tears and upset it would have created....however, perhaps as supporter revenue is thought to be a small % of overall income we should be considered B2B really ?........

Perhaps the job in normal circumstances would not be overly complex but the situation is. There is a massive disconnect between company and customer, there have been a string of PR gaffs which have alienated fans and left the club open to ridicule in the media, and generally the brand, to use the buzzword, is toxic. In view of that, I would suggest KM needs experience in PR as well as crisis management. Which makes the hiring of someone who I m sure is competent but lacking the requisite experience rather odd. At least she hasn't come out and professed her love for Charlton yet.
    It's also an organisation with a massively disproportionate profile for its size, just because it's a professional football club. You can't really assess the importance of its reputation on how many employees it has or its turnover, because it has national as well as regional and local media exposure every week, as well as an intense day-to-day relationship with many supporters.
    Given the coverage of the protests to date, I'd be inclined to suggest that you could add international media exposure to the list. It seems to me that the Belgian media, at least in the short term, will, if anything, be more interested in goings-on at CAFC than the UK national media... Duchatelet is, after all, much more prominent there than here, and continuing unrest in the face of his football adventure will resonate mush more in Belgium.
  • She must be something special to wait months for. A whole new vein for ridicule and scorn I suspect. Katrien is surrounding herself with 'yes-women' in her own image. How long before Mel Baroni is patronising us and gilding the lily?
  • Sorry - but there is no way a 27 year old should be Head of Communications at a club the size of Charlton - especially in our current state.

I work in Corporate Affairs for a major corporate and our 27 year olds are still four rungs down the ladder - they are not even managers let alone running the fucking Comms strategy.

Let's be clear this is another puppet whose strings KM and RD will be pulling.

I don't think her age should be a factor. Her experience, skills and knowledge should. Yes, it takes time to gain those but I wouldn't write off someone because they are 27.

And Charlton are in business terms an SME.
    To come on board as Head of Comms at a club like Charlton at 27 years old you'd want to be coming with a seriously strong track record in football or strong links with the club - that does not seem to be the case here.

She would be just five years out of University - not much time to gain the proper experience and football is unlike any other jndustry so to come in as Head of Comms with no football experience is very odd and hardly best practice.
  • Sorry - but there is no way a 27 year old should be Head of Communications at a club the size of Charlton - especially in our current state.

I work in Corporate Affairs for a major corporate and our 27 year olds are still four rungs down the ladder - they are not even managers let alone running the fucking Comms strategy.

I don't think her age should be a factor. Her experience, skills and knowledge should. Yes, it takes time to gain those but I wouldn't write off someone because they are 27.

To come on board as Head of Comms at a club like Charlton at 27 years old you'd want to be coming with a seriously strong track record in football or strong links with the club - that does not seem to be the case here.

She would be just five years out of University - not much time to gain the proper experience and football is unlike any other jndustry so to come in as Head of Comms with no football experience is very odd and hardly best practice.
    Everything our CEO does is weird really.

I tend to agree on her lack of football experience and maybe her other experience but her age in itself shouldn't be a disqualification.
  • Yep, relevant experience and ability are the key requirements along with being able to manage your bosses.

Some experience is transferable, we will find out if that is the case here.

Ability is baked in by now. I'm thinking of you Katrien and your lack of ability here.
  • Sponsored links:

• If KM really wanted to accept that there is a huge problem with the current customer base, the smart thing to do would have been to hire a "seasoned" comms professional on a freelance basis. @Charlton Charlie would have been ideal. Did you tell her where you worked, Charlie? Mind you she's a lawyer so she might not have understood the value in your answer.
    Anther solution which I tried was Kevin Rye, ex media manager of Supporters Direct, he also was ready to work freelance for a limited period (I'm not going to use that sodding 'interim' word, it's forever toxic on here). I had to run that through RM as KM wasn't prepared to receive such ideas direct from the Trust. He took it to her, but the answer came back that they had made an "interim" appointment already. However it was not this lady.It was a bloke with comms experience from big clubs, I recall that Everton was one of them. Did this guy ever actually turn up? Well whatever, this was November, and either Charlie or Kevin could have guided KM through the following weeks and made Mel's job a whole lot easier than it will be.
  • Sounds like typical 'I'm sorry my head is in the sand now, there are no issues here, I have it under control, are you Belgian? You arent! Nothing you can say will be of interest, you are lucky I have responded at all sorry I thought you were belgian, please learn Flemish and we may consider not taking your recommendations again.
  • Following her on Twitter, nothing yet
  • If KM really wanted to accept that there is a huge problem with the current customer base, the smart thing to do would have been to hire a "seasoned" comms professional on a freelance basis. @Charlton Charlie would have been ideal. Did you tell her where you worked, Charlie? Mind you she's a lawyer so she might not have understood the value in your answer.
    Anther solution which I tried was Kevin Rye, ex media manager of Supporters Direct, he also was ready to work freelance for a limited period (I'm not going to use that sodding 'interim' word, it's forever toxic on here). I had to run that through RM as KM wasn't prepared to receive such ideas direct from the Trust. He took it to her, but the answer came back that they had made an "interim" appointment already. However it was not this lady.It was a bloke with comms experience from big clubs, I recall that Everton was one of them. Did this guy ever actually turn up? Well whatever, this was November, and either Charlie or Kevin could have guided KM through the following weeks and made Mel's job a whole lot easier than it will be.

Ms Meire suffers from a very bad case of "Not Invented Here" syndrome, we see it from her time and time again.
  • Blistering attack on the mismanagement of the comms team by KM and the chaotic attempts to recruit to the head of Comms role by Matt Wright in the new VOTV.
  • Blistering attack on the mismanagement of the comms team by KM and the chaotic attempts to recruit to the head of Comms role by Matt Wright in the new VOTV.

Or alternatively if you read it we learn of 2 credible temporary appointments / consultants with PL experience in that period. BUT the crucial thing remains that RD directs from afar if I interpret correctly and therefore neither KM or others can adequately make that work.

Or alternatively if you read it we learn of 2 credible temporary appointments / consultants with PL experience in that period. BUT the crucial thing remains that RD directs from afar if I interpret correctly and therefore neither KM or others can adequately make that work.

Two years after the post became vacant they appoint two very experienced and expensive interim neither of which they announce.
  • So perhaps the management team realised after this time support was needed and the initial approach was not appropriate?

My point is that even with relatively experienced support nothing / not much changed. The issue is seemingly the autonomy that RD has and less what KM / CAFC staff have. Why didn't these appointments either ask for or get public announcement?

I'll say it again we need to concentrate on the fundamental football related issues and less so these related items.
  • So perhaps the management team realised after this time support was needed and the initial approach was not appropriate?

My point is that even with relatively experienced support nothing / not much changed. The issue is seemingly the autonomy that RD has and less what KM / CAFC staff have. Why didn't these appointments either ask for or get public announcement?

I'll say it again we need to concentrate on the fundamental football related issues and less so these related items.

The mismanagement of the club off the field in such a key area as communication with fans, that KM and RM have both said they have got wrong IS important.

The sofa and the DJ I agree are trivial although indicative of the lack of understanding of their "customers".

The mismanagement of the comms team and the failure to find a manager for the team is vital.

One of the temps went to work for Derby. Why didn't we employ him?

Really ?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2016

So perhaps the management team realised after this time support was needed and the initial approach was not appropriate?

The mismanagement of the club off the field in such a key area as communication with fans, that KM and RM have both said they have got wrong IS important.

The sofa and the DJ I agree are trivial although indicative of the lack of understanding of their "customers".

The mismanagement of the comms team and the failure to find a manager for the team is vital.

One of the temps went to work for Derby. Why didn't we employ him?
    Quite. Ask them why they moved on/ what they think about the position.

I'm not defending the club as a whole simply wondering if the experienced guys equally struggled because of how RD wants the club to operate.

PS as regards the sofa some seem to be happy to use it each week so it works for some. It would not for me but likewise I don't like to watch the game from behind the goal and get that (in my opinion) distorted view. Atmosphere by contrast is very different if you sit there. It's a case of what the individual likes or dislikes on these sort of items.
  • This talk of experience isn't necessarily fair or right. My company has recruited vastly experienced design engineers who are complete turnip. Our brightest stars are the ones we train ourselves who appreciate what we do, why we do it and understand our clients.

It takes a bit of time but they are our best investment.

Let's give the lady some time
  • Time?
    It was announced in November that she would start on February 1st. I know that people have to work their notice and all that, but knowing you have a new job in three months ought to ensure you hit the ground running I would've thought.
  • seth plum said:

Time?
    It was announced in November that she would start on February 1st. I know that people have to work their notice and all that, but knowing you have a new job in three months ought to ensure you hit the ground running I would've thought.

Not fair in my opinion. Professional is completing your last assignment to the utmost of your ability and in taking stock at your new place of employment before doing anything radically different.
  • seth plum said:

Time?

Not fair in my opinion. Professional is completing your last assignment to the utmost of your ability and in taking stock at your new place of employment before doing anything radically different.
    Agree you see out your contract but equally you start looking at the next job as well, especially when it is with such a public organisation as a Championship football club. It would be extremely surprising not to arrive fairly well briefed.
  • Swisdom said:

This talk of experience isn't necessarily fair or right. My company has recruited vastly experienced design engineers who are complete turnip. Our brightest stars are the ones we train ourselves who appreciate what we do, why we do it and understand our clients.

It takes a bit of time but they are our best investment.

Let's give the lady some time

The pupils are only as good as the teachers though.

KM has hardly impressed as she, neither has Cahones to be honest.
  • seth plum said:

Time?

Disagree I'm afraid. Professional is preparing thoroughly for the new job applied for and accepted so as to hit the ground running no excuses, whilst at the same time completing your last assignment to the utmost of your ability.
    Anybody can define 'professional' on the hoof can't they?
  • mogodon said:

seth plum said:

Time?

Agree you see out your contract but equally you start looking at the next job as well, especially when it is with such a public organisation as a Championship football club. It would be extremely surprising not to arrive fairly well briefed.
    It's day 6 today only I believe ! Briefed is different from seeing an organisation in practice and getting support for any changes. The admin side of a football club will take longer to influence then a change in playing personnel or tactics would on the football side.
  • KM's track record when involved in signing players means her ability to find the right people is not great. And can't think for a minute she would lower herself to take advice from anyone else.