Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

You know you're getting old when.

Comments

• Options
    limeygent said:
    When every time you start doing something you have to stop for a pee.

I was getting like that but have stopped the tea and coffee and just have caffeine free coffee now. Makes a lot of difference.

Is that with a jäger chaser and a pint?
  • Options
    You Google someone you think is old and find they are younger than you.
    Oh boy, I was watching that Detectorists programme the other day and nearly fell off my chair when I found out that I'm older than Toby Jones.

Programme was fucking dull. Enough material for a standard 25 minute show dragged out to make a Christmas special.

• Options
    When you can't which decade you last ran up a flight of stairs
  • Options
    When you get excited about an away coach trip and have to ask if there's a toilet stop. :o

• Options
    You get something sporty as a your loan car for the day, and you prefer your own ol' bus.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You get home post 1am, have a thousand channels to chose from but settle on ABBA’s greatest hits 
    you can't be that old...
  • Options
    The mere thought of going into a crunching tackle at football makes you wince
  • Options
    You get home post 1am, have a thousand channels to chose from but settle on babestation  

• Options
    As  someone in their early 40s working in marketing, I am already an old man in the office.  Today, I am going to a 100th birthday party so will seem positively spritely!

I guess it's all relative 😀
  • Options
    You can't remember if you have posted on this thread earlier in the year.

I think I might have done - not sure - might have been something about Fiona Bruce?
    I searched "Fiona Bruce" and it's surprising how many different threads she has appeared on, but couldn't see a comment from you. Go on then....
    Well, I took a look myself and I can't find it (i.e the Fiona Bruce reference) but I did come across this related item which I posted in 2018

You will be of a certain age if you can answer at least some of the following:

1) a popular Post-WWII meal item on a Monday evening would be Bread and ********. Fill in the missing word.
    2) When did rationing officially end in the UK after WWII?
    3) Were you able to spend a Victorian penny in 1954 (i.e. was Victorian coinage still in circulation in 1954 - yes or no?
    4) The Festival of Britain was in which year, 1951, 1952 or 1953?
    5) What is an Allotment?
    6) Henry Irving's best cardigan dates from which decade - the 50s or the 60s?
    If someone else in your family is like Uncle Albert in OnlyF&H then you don't have to be of that 'certain age'
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    When you can't which decade you last ran up a flight of stairs
    When you can't remember remember.
    The 5th of November, Gunpowder, treason and plot…
  • Options
    Standing on a train and people are insistent on giving you their seat.
    That's probably just being unsteady, caused by all the beers @ricky_otto so generously buys you down the pub.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You're looking at a 240 year old watercolour painting of an old Woolwich scene with your Mum and realise she has been around for nearly 100 years of that timespan!

Sandby documented a lot of London in the 1780s. This one of Charlton too. 

Love it. Might have to check out more of his work
  • Options
    You're looking at a 240 year old watercolour painting of an old Woolwich scene with your Mum and realise she has been around for nearly 100 years of that timespan!

Wow. Amazing to think - that could quite possibly be the East Terrace and the people are on where the pitch is now.
  • Options

Wow. Amazing to think - that could quite possibly be the East Terrace and the people are on where the pitch is now.
    Far more Horse Shit on it these days. 
  • Options

Mostly wearing red shirts
  • Options

Those were the days, going out after the horses of traders went by with a shovel and a bucket, to collect horse shit for my dads rhubarb. Needless to say, a long time after this picture was painted 🤣
  • Options

I wonder if it’s possible to determine exactly where that is? A bit of a long shot I know but perhaps there’s a clever land  surveyor out there with the ability to study the land fall and work out if it’s where The Valley now stands?
    Would be fantastic if it turned out to be the case!
  • Options
    Well, there's a small lake and church in the distance but even more curious is the church at the top of the chalk cliffs. There must be some mention of that in records of the history of the area - maybe in The British Library.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    If what we see there were to be the chalk cliffs from which we know the East Terrace was carved out, then The Thames would be behind the painter who would have been sitting somewhere around where the tunnel/club shop are now. 

The church and small lake in the distance are on lower land southwards.

Fascinating stuff imo.
  • Options
    If what we see there were to be the chalk cliffs from which we know the East Terrace was carved out, then The Thames would be behind the painter who would have been sitting somewhere around where the tunnel/club shop are now. 

The church and small lake in the distance are on lower land southwards.

Fascinating stuff imo.
    I was thinking the small lake/body of water you mention might have been a small area of The Thames?
  • Options
    Well, there's a small lake and church in the distance but even more curious is the church at the top of the chalk cliffs. There must be some mention of that in records of the history of the area - maybe in The British Library.

This map suggests that as well as St Luke's at the top of Charlton Church Lane there was another church on Charlton Lane, where the mini roundabout is now. Could that be it?  https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/spy/#zoom=16.3&lat=51.48727&lon=0.02453&layers=1&b=1&r=30

When I saw that painting my thought was the same as yours that it could be where the East Terrace was. I then had doubts because I thought the perspective looked more as if it was looking downhill rather than up. Of course it's a painting not a photo, so the painter could have messed around with the composition to make it look more appealing, giving an impression of the area rather than a facsimile.