Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Burnley v Charlton | Sat 19 Dec | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Burnley v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 19 December 2015 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Paul Tierney (Lancashire)

Introduction

After conceding a two goal lead last night and ultimately only taking a point makes writing the Match Preview for the next game all the much harder… But as many of you now know, when we play on a Saturday I like this to be completed three days in advance whereas the Tuesday night games are only previewed the day before.

It’s now been four matches since our last victory (a 1-0 result at Birmingham), yet despite that we’ve only lost two games, looking on the bright side, there were opportunities to beat both Leeds and Bolton in our recent home games so the performances are coming, we just seem to need that extra bit to get to the Full-Time whistle ahead. I guess when you look at the fixture list, the most feared matches are against the three teams who have relegated from the Premier League, and they’re the sides with the parachute payments, the ones who only six months ago were going toe to toe with England’s biggest sides.

In true Charlton fashion this season though, we’ve struggled against the teams around us, yet when we’ve faced the sides who should be beating us (notably those down from the Premier League), quite simply they’re not and our record against those sides is, played two, won two!! - This Saturday is the date when we march through the gates and into the Christmas period, the time of year that is loved by English Football Fans as it is so unique, we only have two teams left to face before we start again, this Saturday we face Burnley… Can we get a clean sweep of Premier League clubs, I guess at 5pm on Saturday we’ll know if we have or not.

The Opposition
Name: Burnley | Manager: Sean Dyche
Ground: Turf Moor | Nickname: The Clarets

Despite the difficulties of writing the Match Preview based on what happens on the pitch, its writing Previews like this one that makes me enjoy the job so much (I’m a history nut and love expanding my knowledge)… In Burnley we face another side who were the founders of the Football League, they finished that year in 9th place and along with four other sides they had to apply for re-election, the following season wasn’t much better, they finished second bottom and what’s worse is they went that year is they went 17 games without victory (We thought we had it bad).

But I’m getting carried away… all this happened in 1888, they were founded six years earlier in 1882 so what happened, how did it come about? – Quite simply, the origins of Burnley weren’t as a Football Club yet as a Rugby Union side, sadly Wikipedia doesn’t tell me anything about the change, simply that Burnley Rovers decided to shift allegiance in May 1882 and played their first match that October (losing 8-0 to Astley Bridge)… In 1883 they moved to Turf Moor where they have remained since (it wouldn’t surprise me if the wooden seats are still the same).

Of course I can’t end this section without discussing the matches between these two sides, the first meeting came in 1930 at Turf Moor with the two sides in the Second Division; it would end in a 1-1 draw with Charlton winning the first meeting at the Valley 2-1… The most famous meeting between these sides came in 1947, the location Wembley Stadium, the result 1-0 to Charlton, the even bigger result… Charlton win the FA Cup for the first (and only time) in their history.

Last Meeting @ Turf Moor… Burnley 3-0 Charlton Athletic

Charlton Team News
I know I should write the preview after the Press Conference, it would make my life easier writing this section but at the same time, the Press Conference doesn’t tell you much anyway… The best news this Saturday will see the return of Patrick Bauer following his suspension, he should slot in alongside Harry Lennon so we’ll have to see if Alou Diarra goes into Midfield or whether he is rested for Bristol City on Boxing Day…

Both Ademola Lookman and Johann Gudmundsson went off injured on Saturday, if they latter remains side-lined it’ll be interesting to see if Regan Charles-Cook comes into the line-up, at present it appears as though the Academy lads are leading the way at the moment as despite not being on the bench last night (after being there Saturday), the decision wasn’t down to injury as Regan was doing some sprinting prior to kick-off yesterday.

Henderson
Solly … Bauer … Lennon … Holmes-Dennis
Charles-Cook … Diarra … Jackson … Ghoochannejhad
Makienok … Vaz Te

Substitutes Bench: Pope … Sarr … Fox … Ba … Cousins … Lookman … Ahearne-Grant

Prediction
Burnley 1-1 Charlton Athletic

Comments

• My prediction: more doom and gloom.
  • iainment said:

My prediction: more doom and gloom.

Doom and gloom aren't numbers.
  • iainment said:

My prediction: more doom and gloom.

Doom and gloom aren't numbers.
    Don't worry I've translated what is meant... He reckons it'll be a 0-0
  • FA, what have you done with Cousins, not even on the bench?
  • ross1 said:

FA, what have you done with Cousins, not even on the bench?

Bloomin' heck thanks for that... Completely forgot about him
  • ross1 said:

FA, what have you done with Cousins, not even on the bench?

Best place for him at the moment.
  • 'Kin hell. I don't even want to think about the next humiliation just yet.
  • A drubbing. 5-1 to Burnley!
  • I'm gonna disagree with the right honourable @ForeverAddickted for a change

His pick is ..

Henderson
    Solly … Bauer … Lennon … Holmes-Dennis
    Charles-Cook … Diarra … Jackson … Ghoochannejhad
    Makienok … Vaz Te

Substitutes Bench: Pope … Sarr … Fox … Ba … Cousins … Lookman … Ahearne-Grant

Makienok is just not with the programme at present and he'll get no change at all from the VERY decent Burnley CBs .. I'd recall Fox, play Holmes-Dennis on the midfield left, rest Jackson, with Reza up front, though if A-Grant was there, that'd do me just as well, presuming that Lookman is crocked ... if he and/or Gudmundsson are fit, they should start .. I'll assume they will both be missing whilst hoping they are fit.

Henderson
    Solly … Bauer … Lennon … Fox
    Ba … Diarra … Cousins … Holmes-Dennis
    Reza … Vaz Te

A tough, tough, VERY tough game, though Burnley have recently dropped from their very high standard .. heart says ... a backs to the wall, scrapped for, fighting, well deserved point at least

Burnley 1 v CAFC 1 .. Come on You Addicksaaaaaaaaahhhh
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we need to start playing 3 in central midfield to try and give us more protection and hopefully better possession.

Plus we don't have the energy to play a midfield 2!

This would also allow the full backs to get forward and support the play a bit more.

I think our front 3 have enough pace/movement to cause problems to i would go with something like:

Henderson
    Solly - Bauer - Lennon - HDennis
    Cousins - Diarra - Jackson
    Reza - V Te - Lookman

Leaves no place for JBG but he could probably use a rest.
  • Home banker.

Plenty of goals, unfortunately most of them land in the back of our net.
  • 3-0 burnley
  • 4-0 Burnley. More pathetic dross.
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • I think we need to start playing 3 in central midfield to try and give us more protection and hopefully better possession.

Plus we don't have the energy to play a midfield 2!

This would also allow the full backs to get forward and support the play a bit more.

I think our front 3 have enough pace/movement to cause problems to i would go with something like:

Henderson
    Solly - Bauer - Lennon - HDennis
    Cousins - Diarra - Jackson
    Reza - V Te - Lookman

Leaves no place for JBG but he could probably use a rest.

Lookman has been playing Left Mid
  • Sadly i cant see beyond a defeat here and we slip further into the relegation mire.....3-0 Burnley. The match thread will start at 2 pm. If we lose this, as I expect we will, I cant see over the next 3 games, Bristol City, Wolves and Forest where we are going to pick up a point. We could be well adrift before the FA cup game as we would have been unable to bring anyone in (if that's what we are going to do) until the week before the Colchester game.
  • Sadly i cant see beyond a defeat here and we slip further into the relegation mire.....3-0 Burnley. The match thread will start at 2 pm. If we lose this, as I expect we will, I cant see over the next 3 games, Bristol City, Wolves and Forest where we are going to pick up a point. We could be well adrift before the FA cup game as we would have been unable to bring anyone in (if that's what we are going to do) until the week before the Colchester game.

And we are very unlikely to have games in hand from a waterlogged pitch......Damn, I wish I could move on :disappointed:
  • two nil Charlton, decent bet.
  • If Lookman and JBG are injured, and he decides to rest some players like JJ, Reza and THD, who looked tired on Tuesday, he will have to jiggle the team around. I would not be surprised to see 4-4-2 and the team to be:

Henderson
    Solly/Bauer/Lennon/Fox
    C-Cook/Ba/Diarra/Cousins
    Vaz Te/Mak
    Subs: Pope/THD/Sarr/JJ/Moussa/Reza/KAG

Not the team I would like, but the team I expect. Hoping for 1-1 and we stay undefeated in December
  • Sponsored links:

• From this week I'll start to put £20 on Charlton loss. At least my weekend will be better if I make some money off it.
  • andyg90 said:

From this week I'll start to put £20 on Charlton loss. At least my weekend will be better if I make some money off it.

hope you lose your every penny
  • andyg90 said:

From this week I'll start to put £20 on Charlton loss. At least my weekend will be better if I make some money off it.

hope you lose your every penny
    Well, I've only ever won a single bet in my life so it's done in the hope that trend continues. I'm a Charlton fan I want us to win every game we play but given the current circumstances it's realistic to bet against us.

As for the team, I'd actually start Makienok with Reza right Lookman (injury permitting) on the left in a 451. Burnley have some good set piece takers and height and strength at the back and the last games without Mak on defensive duty has lead to havoc in our penalty area. Bauer back and Diarra in the midfield will also give us more defensive solidarity.
  • edited December 2015
    Away from the mine of misery, a sparkling performance with 16 shots from Charlton, 7 on target, 3 in the back of the net.
    Sadly, woeful refereeing will rule 2 of those out, incorrectly, and their goalie will keep 3 other certainties out in a performance he won't repeat this season.

Result = the status quo (supported by Wilko) is put back where it was before, with no light under the tunnel.
  • Fighting backs to the wall draw.

Bauer and Lennon allow Diarra to move back to midfield, we play the diamond with JBG at the top and we draw 2 - 2.

Lennon and Reza score.
  • We turn up for the big boys. We'll probably win this one.
  • If we can take Burnley by surprise like we did at Brighton, perhaps we could sneak surprise points.

A draw at best.
  • like others cant see us getting anything maybe a point if were v lucky 1-1
  • Surprise 1-1, to reward the travelling fans.
  • So far under Fraeyes management the results have gone 2 losses, 2 wins, 2 losses, 2 draws. My money is not on another level result. What is it with this number 2?!!!!