Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

If El Hadji- Ba is a footballer than so am I

Comments

• colin1961 said:

Said it last night badly badly miss Kashi he looked a class act

Colin, this is true. At the start of the season he looked like a genuinely decent player. But for how long can we trot out the excuse that we're missing players? We're actually missing very few now, this is why you need to build a squad, this is why so many of us said at the start of the season that the squad was woefully short, this is why we're in the bottom three. It was obvious to everyone with an ounce of footballing knowledge way back in August that the squad was short even when the team looked good.

Sadly, that's around an ounce of footballing knowledge more than Roly and Katrien share between them.
    Don't agree, last night we had Kashi, Ceballos and Igor all still out injured, plus Bauer suspended. Yes I do agree we still have a thin squad, but Kashi started the season well, Igor don't know where to start and Bauer is a big loss because of moving Diarra to CB.

Ceballos could be a big return for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I actually think his creativity could come in handly regardless. Secondly, what impact will it have on JBG? He has been one of the first names on the teamsheet. If we go 4231 though, we have Lookman and Reza playing better than him so that leaves 1 more. If Ceballos comes in and impresses, he gets that spot, relegating JBG to the bench. With the euros coming up, he has 2 options, ask to leave or sort himself out. Sitting on the bench for the rest of the season isn't going to get him in that Iceland team so I hope it gives him a kick up the backside.
    I'd like to agree. However Ceballos showed nothing of promise in the few games he played.

Just another lightweight player, who didn't get a look in.

The only memorable thing he did was "that corner".
  • colin1961 said:

Colin, this is true. At the start of the season he looked like a genuinely decent player. But for how long can we trot out the excuse that we're missing players? We're actually missing very few now, this is why you need to build a squad, this is why so many of us said at the start of the season that the squad was woefully short, this is why we're in the bottom three. It was obvious to everyone with an ounce of footballing knowledge way back in August that the squad was short even when the team looked good.

Sadly, that's around an ounce of footballing knowledge more than Roly and Katrien share between them.
    Don't agree, last night we had Kashi, Ceballos and Igor all still out injured, plus Bauer suspended. Yes I do agree we still have a thin squad, but Kashi started the season well, Igor don't know where to start and Bauer is a big loss because of moving Diarra to CB.

Ceballos could be a big return for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I actually think his creativity could come in handly regardless. Secondly, what impact will it have on JBG? He has been one of the first names on the teamsheet. If we go 4231 though, we have Lookman and Reza playing better than him so that leaves 1 more. If Ceballos comes in and impresses, he gets that spot, relegating JBG to the bench. With the euros coming up, he has 2 options, ask to leave or sort himself out. Sitting on the bench for the rest of the season isn't going to get him in that Iceland team so I hope it gives him a kick up the backside.
    I'd like to agree. However Ceballos showed nothing of promise in the few games he played.

Just another lightweight player, who didn't get a look in.

The only memorable thing he did was "that corner".
    possibly, but needs a few more games to be judged on fairly. I never actually said anything about him being a key player, more that it's another player to put pressure on JBG. I really feel we need him back to his best to start being more prolific up top. With Euros fast approaching, pressure on him can only have 2 options as above.
  • He looked good at the start of the season, but then so did a few of our players.

He's got a few decent attributes. We could do with a decent coach to get the most out of Ba and others too.

To be honest, with that circus act running the show up stairs it's little surprise it's falling to pieces on the pitch.
  • the only way Henderson won't play this season is if he's injured

Don't say that.. Am still expecting it to happen
    Finger of blame points directly at the Covered End for asking Hendo what the score was when we were 2-0 up....

Should have saved the 2nd mind.
  • I've made an early new years resolution to not judge any of the players too harshly under this managerial circus.

Had I seen Ba play 10 games under a Curbishley, Bruce, Macarthy etc. and he still looked dodgy then I'd say get rid, but under the current regime who knows.....
  • Hahaha I remember 'the corner' and also ceballos being bossed about by some pretty tiny guys. May do well in Spanish second division.
  • colin1961 said:

Just don't let Ceballos take any corners...
  • Ba actually reminds me of erm...me! An enthusiastic but basically crap footballer!
  • Who's going to be the next player to be slagged off?

• Oggy Red said:

Who's going to be the next player to be slagged off?

I know - we've always had one or 2 scapegoats that the fans love to hate - but now it's one or 2 that the fans like and all the others are slagged off. I understand how frustrating it is to see players make mistakes, shoot too soon or chose the wrong pass but there's no point in singling out Ba or Makienok for last night's result - the team as a unit were poor and I believe the tactics deployed by the coach were completely wrong - with JBG and Lookman effectively playing up front and offering little or nothing defensively - we ended up with a 2 man midfield so it's no surprise that Jackson and Cousins were overrun. Even with 4 attacking players on the field our best chance in the second half has a Lennon header which hit the bar. Even allowing for the disappointment of chucking away a 2 goal lead by half time we had a full half to score a winner against a pretty poor Bolton.
  • Sponsored links:

• I realise I'll be in the minority, but I honestly don't believe he is as bad as he has shown so far. I also realise you could say that for most of our players.

The game against Sheffield Wednesday was probably the best midfield performance I've seen from a Charlton player this season, but the obligatory booking cost him 90 minutes. I know Diarra has had a few good games in the same position but felt against Sheffield Wednesday, Ba actually showed more than a few glimpses of quality. I think his problems stem from (and again, I concede this is probably true of many) a lack of confidence and consistency.

I have no doubt in my mind that he offers more from a technical perspective than the majority of our midfield options, which will probably be an unpopular view. He is so frustrating. His good work is almost always undone by a bad decision or pass, but think you'll see that cut out of his game if given a decent run of matches. The other night was typical of his career so far. He beat a man, carried the ball forward and instead of playing the easy ball left to KAG, he passed it right and we lost momentum. A microcosm of his season, if you like.

Happy to revisit this post at the end of the season and see if my opinion has changed, but for the time being, I do genuinely think that there's a useful player in there somewhere.
  • Tuesday night showed me that he hasn't got a football brain.
  • edited December 2015

He is so frustrating. His good work is almost always undone by a bad decision or pass.

The other night was typical of his career so far. He beat a man, carried the ball forward and instead of playing the easy ball left to KAG, he passed it right and we lost momentum. A microcosm of his season, if you like.

I think the telling "parts" are above. But I agree, if he gets confident, plays for 6 months or so, improves, starts to pass to Charlton players instead of the opposition, he might become a good player.

The trouble is we'll be relegated by then.
  • Oggy Red said:

Who's going to be the next player to be slagged off?

I reckon Fox will play on Saturday to give THD a rest, so off you go Fox haters
  • Ba is an enigma.

I thought he was superb against Sheff Wed.

That 5th booking may have halted his progress and done some real damage.

Who knows.
  • I reckon he's not that old but he is quite prone to delivering the ball to exactly the wrong place. Like Nick Pope. Has a nice touch most of the time and some good skills on the ball but he does make the wrong call 7 times from 10 and maybe he can learn that with some familiarity in the team? Maybe not.
  • edited December 2015

Ba is an enigma.

Who knows.

Ba performance 1st half was excellent against Wednesday, he got back into bad habits 2nd half.

Just don't think he has played enough 1st team football in the last 3 seasons to
    be match sharp. His decision making with his passing is too hit and miss,
    but he could be decent, but we need an established midfield playmaker,
    as we don't have one.
    Diarra can be the defensive midfielder in Kashi absent,
    Cousins the water carrier (not skilled enough to be the playmaker)
    JJ should not be playing every week but used as a tactical sub to either shore up the defense or attacks the penalty box from corners etc.
    JBH can be the forward in a diamond but we still need two midfielders.
    Being a decent passer should be mandatory in a championship midfielder.

• curbs1965 said:

Could you take a better corner elfsborg??? I bet you have never even attended a match!

Christ almighty, Douglas Bader could have taken a better corner than the One he took at Derby.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2015

He is so frustrating. His good work is almost always undone by a bad decision or pass.

The other night was typical of his career so far. He beat a man, carried the ball forward and instead of playing the easy ball left to KAG, he passed it right and we lost momentum. A microcosm of his season, if you like.

I think the telling "parts" are above. But I agree, if he gets confident, plays for 6 months or so, improves, starts to pass to Charlton players instead of the opposition, he might become a good player.

The trouble is we'll be relegated by then.

Ba is an enigma.

Who knows.

Ba performance 1st half was excellent against Wednesday, he got back into bad habits 2nd half.

Just don't think he has played enough 1st team football in the last 3 seasons to
    be match sharp. His decision making with his passing is too hit and miss,
    but he could be decent, but we need an established midfield playmaker,
    as we don't have one.
    Diarra can be the defensive midfielder in Kashi absent,
    Cousins the water carrier (not skilled enough to be the playmaker)
    JJ should not be playing every week but used as a tactical sub to either shore up the defense or attacks the penalty box from corners etc.
    JBH can be the forward in a diamond but we still need two midfielders.
    Being a decent passer should be mandatory in a championship midfielder.

"Being a decent passer should be mandatory in a championship midfielder" - I agree with you, but Ba certainly isn't the only one who falls short of this benchmark. Cousins is more than guilty, too. Probably one of the worst passers in his position I've ever seen at Championship level, in fact.
  • The sad thing is, Cousins is playing in central mid now, and is being exposed
    because as i said his passing isn't skilled enough for him to be the midfield playmaker, but Jordan played his best when either playing alongside
    Stevens in his last few months at the club or Poyet when he was very steady.
    What JC can do well at times is run with the ball and he does cover more ground and cover for other players when they are out of position.
    There is no escape for even POTY at CAFC at the moment as Solly found out earlier in the season when his form deserted him for a while.
  • curbs1965 said:

Could you take a better corner elfsborg??? I bet you have never even attended a match!

blimey, my Gran was about 5ft 2" and has been dead for about 20 years but she could still take a better corner than that
  • She'd need a long handled squeegee to clean your windows though.
  • Fumbluff said:

He was worse that Christophe Lepoint last night...

Can anyway else confirm this?...if true then this must show as an improvement on Meires spreadsheet, nobody thought she could sign anybody worse than Lepoint....
    She checked her spreadsheet, it said that every signing has proven to be the right decision...
    She's a lawyer - they don't know how to use spreadsheets!
  • If he had the ability to find the right pass when he had broken up play that would be fine, but he constantly seemed to choose the wrong pass and good positions were wasted.

This

The boy is a bit of a destroyer, decent ball winner but can be so sloppy with his distribution

• edited December 2015
    curbs1965 said:

curbs1965 said:

Strange reply.

Not at all. I bet he wouldn't tell you how to wash windows (nothing against window cleaners) or whatever trade you do?
    Are you the Ceballos fan club or a family member?

I do not understand why you have taken offence.

Are you for or against the Belgians by the way?
  • edited December 2015
    curbs1965 said:

curbs1965 said:

curbs1965 said:

Strange reply.

Not at all. I bet he wouldn't tell you how to wash windows (nothing against window cleaners) or whatever trade you do?
    Are you the Ceballos fan club or a family member?

I do not understand why you have taken offence.

Are you for or against the Belgians by the way?
    I am fed up of so called fans slating my team. I thought the word supporter meant supporting your team through good times and bad. Look at all the times we had away from the Valley etc but we got through it. Its easy to slate players but could you do better. You should be careful what you wish for. Qpr thought Christmas had come when they got taken over. So did West Ham. Look what happened to both of them. You get through it though and come back stronger. Belgians are not great but at least we are not racking up huge debts. We are hardly going to have qn oil baron take us over so live with it! !!!
    Whether you're fed up with people slagging off the team is irrelevant, frankly. People will say how they feel, and that's the prerogative of each individual paying their money.

I personally don't see the point of booing players but if some make a few comments about a number of our underperforming players (we're currently 22nd..), what's the big deal?

The notion that people can't pass comment on professional footballers, unless they themselves are professional footballers, is bizarre. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
  • edited December 2015