Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Time to give Big Mak a break...

Comments

• Swisdom said:

I'll be honest - I've had enough of a lot of our "fans"

The facebook page is unbelievable. Crude language, threats of violence to players and board members. They are a total embarassment.

I thought and hoped the fans at the ground would be supportive - and we were. But as soon as Bolton scored their first last night the fans went quiet and the players looked nervy. The rest is history.

The treatment of Simon is embarassing - how often do you hear opposition fans slagging off one of their own like that? Slagging off the manager for a substitution when he undoubtedly knows more than joe Public in the stand.

We really do have a part to play. If you don't want to cheer then that's your prerogative. But as my mum always used to say - If you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all.

/rant

You're right, the fans are angry, but it's a symptom of what's going on at the top. Whilst I don't condone mocking our own players as it's counter-productive, I do believe that fans are allowed to express their view. If some take to swearing on social media, then that is up to them. Whilst it may not be pleasant to read the comments, they have a right to say their piece, and you don't have to read those comments, I rarely do. I believe that most of this stuff is due to the frustration fans feel that the club is going down the pan and there isn't a single thing that any of us can do to stop it.

In an ideal world, the fans would all be united and supporting the team, but it's not an ideal world, and many of the fans aren't even attending any more. Those that are left, blinkered ones aside, are there out of blind loyalty rather than for the enjoyment of watching the team play on a weekly basis, or because they've paid for a season ticket and don't want to waste that money.

Whilst in general, we cannot control the actions of individual fans, the club are able to do this to some degree. If they put right the very obvious wrongs in our set up, people will calm down and things will improve, both on the pitch and in the stands. If they keep doing what they are doing, they will end up with an even more empty stadium on match days and all Roland's investments in infrastructure will be a complete waste of time, because there will be nobody left that will even notice those things.
  • Current scapegoats are Makienok, Ba and Fox - the abuse they get must do wonders for their confidence.
  • Current scapegoats are Makienok, Ba and Fox - the abuse they get must do wonders for their confidence.

Reckon Reza is on the verges... A lot of people near me were moaning about the lack of running he was doing in stages.
  • robroy said:

I've said it on the post match thread.

The atmosphere at 'The Valley is absolutely toxic. It's not actually a nice place to go, so god knows what the players think playing there!

It actually downed on my last night that we actually have a really crap bunch of fans that love and feed on negativity and failure.

Beggars belief why these people bother going.

Agreed... When Bolton got their equaliser there were a few boos that rang out... My instant thought was hang on, we've already scored twice, we can take the lead again, its still early in the match.

Of course that wasn't to be the case but there was always a chance, had Vaz Te's acrobatic effort gone in or had the ball not hit the crossbar it would have been a different story
  • Swisdom said:

cafckev said:

Hang on a minute. Its his job! He needs to do his job, end of!

Yesterday, i spent 14 hours at work, had 5 hours sleep, then back in today for another 13 hours of bloody stressful work. Why? Because its my job. If i cock up, laps or simply give up, i know i will be in deep doo do and not get my managers say never mind, better luck tomorrow.

He simply needs to do his job and score or help others score by kicking/heading a ball for 90 minutes. If he cant do it, then dont do it.

Do you have 12,00+ people mocking your every move at work?

No but every mistake i could make would result in someone losing thier life, which is a little more pressure i would say!

As i said, its his JOB please don't forget that. He isn't like us and doing it because he loves Charlton. He is doing it to earn money to support his family etc.

• cafckev said:

Swisdom said:

cafckev said:

Yesterday, i spent 14 hours at work, had 5 hours sleep, then back in today for another 13 hours of bloody stressful work. Why? Because its my job. If i cock up, laps or simply give up, i know i will be in deep doo do and not get my managers say never mind, better luck tomorrow.

He simply needs to do his job and score or help others score by kicking/heading a ball for 90 minutes. If he cant do it, then dont do it.

No but every mistake i could make would result in someone losing thier life, which is a little more pressure i would say!

As i said, its his JOB please don't forget that. He isn't like us and doing it because he loves Charlton. He is doing it to earn money to support his family etc.

So he's exactly like us then
  • cafckev said:

Swisdom said:

cafckev said:

this is exactly why football clubs should have a probation period
  • I only saw Makienok in the earliest games and liked what I saw. Many noticed that our results were better with him in the side. This was under Luzon, of course. So what's happened since Fraeye has come in? Has our interim manager managed to destroy someone who looked one of our better signings at the start of the season? Something just isn't right.

Nobody has destroyed him. He's just struggled to regain form since his injury lay-off. I liked his performances early on too but he looks a better player on the floor than in the air (although his defensive heading is very good).
  • Sponsored links:

• cafckev said:

Swisdom said:

cafckev said:

Indeed he is, so why are we all being told to give him a break, cheer him on etc. its simple do your job and we will clap sing his name, but don't think i will hype him up if he can't be bothered about tunning 5 yards to run onto a ball in a open space like many times last night.

• He started fairly well for us and was involved in a lot of the goals we scored. He also played an important part defensively.

He has a very poor game v Ipswich and some have decided he's useless and one of the worst players we've ever had.

We've had several worse players, most of them while in League One not too long ago.

He's not great but he's a decent player but needs to be used in the right way. He's obviously not quick, target men at our level generally aren't, but with support around him that's not an issue.

Ironically cheering or booing isn't going to help him or the team.
  • cafckev said:

cafckev said:

Swisdom said:

cafckev said:

Indeed he is, so why are we all being told to give him a break, cheer him on etc. its simple do your job and we will clap sing his name, but don't think i will hype him up if he can't be bothered about tunning 5 yards to run onto a ball in a open space like many times last night.

But again... I know you work in a job where you can't make a mistake (I'm guessing Doctor or something) but how would you like it if you had 12,000 booing and shouting at you whilst your trying to do your job.

Your going to tell them to shut up and let you get on with it... The bloke is simply trying to earn money to support his family.
  • makienok cant score if we dont give him the service it is not rocket science gents. same with any other striker out there play to their strengths and they'll score the other 9 players as much at fault a makienok because he's so reliant on them .

• cafckev said:

cafckev said:

Swisdom said:

cafckev said:

But again... I know you work in a job where you can't make a mistake (I'm guessing Doctor or something) but how would you like it if you had 12,000 booing and shouting at you whilst your trying to do your job.

Your going to tell them to shut up and let you get on with it... The bloke is simply trying to earn money to support his family.
    If i had 12,000 screaming at me i would try harder a d not wave my hands in the air because a ball passed 5 yards to my left and couldn't run to it.

All i ask him to do is try. With in a few minutes of coming on, someone passed a lovely ball to him, down his left side, he run in completely the opposite direction then just stood there. I ain't going to cheers his name for that (mind you i dont boo either).

• Very depressing.

Went away hoping to see people support the protests in a loud and forceful manner in numbers without being dickheads and also to see people support the team.

Looks like neither happened.

Grr.

We don't help ourselves at times.

Very counter productive.
  • edited December 2015
    cafckev said:

cafckev said:

Swisdom said:

cafckev said:

the problem is that he's not given the chance to get off the ground (excuse the pun, not intended). Ironic cheers don't do him any favours. Get behind him and see if it makes a difference because jeering him certainly doesn't. And as I mentioned in my original post, why does he seem to be the only one getting the treatment. JBG on his day is too good for us imo. I can't remember the last good game he had for us. Can you ?

• I hope big Mac was taking notes from the old fellah up front for Bolton last night.

Heskey has been the butt of jokes all his career, but I thought he was a real handful and scored a good goal. Would prefer him to our Viking lightweight to be honest!
  • Look the blokes 6' 7,if he doesn't make an attempt to jump or try to jump(1st half Ipwich),he deserves all the stick he gets.
    He may not be that good,but for his own pride he should make more effort.
  • Sponsored links:

• Never really rated him but booing your own players is plain stupid same for Ba too. I actually think Ba could be a good player if he cuts out some of his sloppy passes.
    If you are going to play 5 or 6 acadamy players in the first 11 it does not take a genius to work out you need good championship experience players to compliment them, unfortunately Roland, Katrien and co have failed in a big way with their recruitment policy, she would say different though and this is the reason we are tumbling into league one.
    " We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid"
    Benjamin Franklin

• cafckev said:

cafckev said:

cafckev said:

Swisdom said:

cafckev said:

If i had 12,000 screaming at me i would try harder a d not wave my hands in the air because a ball passed 5 yards to my left and couldn't run to it.

All i ask him to do is try. With in a few minutes of coming on, someone passed a lovely ball to him, down his left side, he run in completely the opposite direction then just stood there. I ain't going to cheers his name for that (mind you i dont boo either).

If he was going in the other direction then it wasn't a lovely pass. Or did he deliberately run away from the ball? When you don't like a player all the little things, many of which might not even be his fault, get magnified and jumped upon. Fans were giving him pelters after one game! Just like Fox, Ba, Sarr and all the others. None of these players are Jarzinho but give them a bloody break-Makienok won headers in both boxes when he came on last night and didn't do a great deal wrong particularly as most of his service came from Henderson's goal kicks...
  • HandG said:

cafckev said:

cafckev said:

cafckev said:

Swisdom said:

cafckev said:

If he was going in the other direction then it wasn't a lovely pass. Or did he deliberately run away from the ball? When you don't like a player all the little things, many of which might not even be his fault, get magnified and jumped upon. Fans were giving him pelters after one game! Just like Fox, Ba, Sarr and all the others. None of these players are Jarzinho but give them a bloody break-Makienok won headers in both boxes when he came on last night and didn't do a great deal wrong particularly as most of his service came from Henderson's goal kicks...
    Spot on mate, well put. Some people refuse to see the wood through the trees!
  • Slagging our own players off is what we do.
    We have a history of it.
    Makienok had one bad game against Ipswich and now he is the new Kishishev, Robinson, Abbot, mooney, McCormack, Francis etc..
    Pathetic

How can you include Francis he was and is a rubbish player, who could never play higher than the Premier League as Captain of his side.
  • I once took a look at our Facebook page. What we appear to have is more than our fair share of knuckle draggers.
  • Makienok is not a good header of the ball, particularly in attack. He doesn't get into the right space and when he does win a header he doesn't know how to direct it into anywhere any of his team are likely to be.

In his opening games he wasn't a bad player for us, he had some confidence and played some good ball at the feet football and step overs, he posed a threat that teams couldn't work out and that was helpful. With his injuries and with the constant abuse from the 'fans' he has gone backwards rather than forwards and needs some help from the coaching staff and the support to deliver.

I think the abuse he has been getting is counter productive and next home game I see where he is playing I will be cheering him on.
  • So let me get this right against Ipswich when the crowd never got on his back he didn't win a header but against Bolton there were continued ironic cheers and jeers and he won a lot of headers
    #youdothemath
  • Makienok is not a good header of the ball, particularly in attack. He doesn't get into the right space and when he does win a header he doesn't know how to direct it into anywhere any of his team are likely to be.

In his opening games he wasn't a bad player for us, he had some confidence and played some good ball at the feet football and step overs, he posed a threat that teams couldn't work out and that was helpful. With his injuries and with the constant abuse from the 'fans' he has gone backwards rather than forwards and needs some help from the coaching staff and the support to deliver.

I think the abuse he has been getting is counter productive and next home game I see where he is playing I will be cheering him on.

Agree with what you say, and feel your point prompts the question: why, after nearly six months coaching at the club, is he not getting any better at heading the ball?????

Come on Roland - give us an experienced manager!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Kap10 said:

Slagging our own players off is what we do.
    We have a history of it.
    Makienok had one bad game against Ipswich and now he is the new Kishishev, Robinson, Abbot, mooney, McCormack, Francis etc..
    Pathetic

How can you include Francis he was and is a rubbish player, who could never play higher than the Premier League as Captain of his side.
    True.
    I could go back earlier to players like Martin Robinson, Dave Mehmet and Terry Bullivant who all became victims of the boo boys at some stage.
    Having said that Bullivant was shit!
  • Oohaah

Let's just say so far, you were right and I was wrong. 11 goals this season I think he needs to get before you send £10 off to charity and until that point it's my £10. So 10 more goals needed.

It's not that I'm precious about the tenner but I saw some talent there at the start of the season.

My ex used the tickets for the Ipswich game and she is firmly in your camp. Useless waste of space she repeatedly says.

I still disagree and think he can do a good job for us.