Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Things to do in Disney world

Comments

• Options
    Has Epcot been updated at all? I thought it was a bit dated when I last went there in 1993.
  • Options
    Better off taking some high grade acid and going to the aquarium...
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Be prepared for crap beer.

Agree, if you avoid the Budweiser, Michelob, Coors type rubbish. But some of the 'craft beers' that the States are starting to churn out is pretty decent stuff. Granted though, you're not going to get a decent ale along the lines of London Pride or Woodforde's Wherry!
  • Options
    Great legs @masicat
  • Options
    I go to Florida quite frequently but haven't bothered with Orlando for a few years - there are better less stressful places to visit elsewhere IMO.
    But it used to be said that everyone gravitates towards walking round the same way and the trick to avoid the worst of the queues was to start early and head off in a different direction from the herd. Maybe the fast pass system has put the kybosh on that?
    Second, for some reason, lots of booze the previous night and and an early morning ride on Space Mountain don't seem compatible.

• Options
    Dr Fearful, Space Mountain and the Hulk roller coaster spring to mind (though I went 13 years ago)...wife liked the Spider Man ride...made me ill though.
  • Options
    Last went this summer. Wish I was coming with you.
    Pretty much agree with everything on here. Just enjoy everything as the kids will love it (even my 14 year old still finds it magical in a moody teenager sort of way)
    Pirates was closed in the summer for refurb (shame as its a classic) - not sure when it was due to reopen
    Harry Potter is better now they've got stuff in both parks

Tip of the day - take a photo of the parking lot marker for the lane you are in (ie Mickey 1876, Cat In The Hat 26000) with your phone as its a damn sight easier to find the car later on....
  • Options
    Pocahontas
  • Options
    I tell you what, two weeks of that would drive me mental.
    Do a week, then get over to here to recharge you're batteries for a couple of days, before heading back.
    90 mins drive from Disney.

visitflorida.com/en-us/cities/anna-maria-island.html
  • Options
    Biggest recommendation. Rent a villa with a pool. Get to the parks as soon as they open and leave by early pm when the crowds become oppressive. Spend the afternoon by the pool.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    masicat said:

Go waterskiing on Lake Bryan
    Spend a day at Disney Village
    Drive to Daytona Beach
    Eat by the lake at Celebration
    Spend a day at Typhoon Lagoon

If you've got Disney tickets for the entire time, probably best to use those before heading off to Busch or Universal - guess it depends on time and budget, of course.

Typhoon Lagoon (water park) is marvellous. I could spend a week on that lazy river alone.

Seriously there's a million and one things to do and most things have something to offer. The most popular are so for a reason, so book your fast passes up in advance - and remember that there aren't queues for the first half hour or so. If you have long enough there, take at least a day at each of the 7 parks - the 2 water parks offer a nice break. You can check most things out on youtube.

I like Epcot and you can get a decent beer there in the English bit, but there's not so much cover there and for me it feels a bit more grown up than other parks.

There's a nice safari ride at Animal Kingdom along with the river ride Jungle Cruise, and the weirdest ride It's a Small World at the Magic Kingdom that I reckon your youngest would get on board with. Mission:Space, Expedition Everest, Tower of Terror, Soarin, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, and the Kali River Rapids among the more thrilling stuff. That and Summit Plummet, which I still can't quite believe I did as someone who can't handle heights.

Plenty of time to research, but trust me it's the happiest place on earth and you'll all have a brilliant time.
  • Options

Dr Fearful, Space Mountain and the Hulk roller coaster spring to mind (though I went 13 years ago)...wife liked the Spider Man ride...made me ill though.

Hulk coaster is closed for a refurb. Was disappointed as it is a fave of mine.
  • Options

Get really smashed as soon.as the plane lands.
    Then give yourself a hangover of a life time by going on the small world ride.

Your on mate I will do
  • Options
    I haven't been for over 10 years but I don't think much has changed, the best parks are the water parks. We had Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach and River Country to choose from. River Country is long gone now, it was wonderful, all the pools looked murky like proper country creeks and were policed by a bunch of Hill Billies with ridiculous but loveable good ole accents, very Deliverence without the nasty bits.
    We found the best time to go to Magic Kingdom and MGM was very late at night rather than early. One night my two sons and I went on Terror Tower about six times in a row without waiting for one second. Let your kids have an afternoon sleep and go out late.
  • Options

We are going for Xmas to Disney world and I am bound to get over excited by the whole magical experience that in my head only Walt Disney can do, so Those who have been what's the five things you would recommend we make sure we do out there, especially what rides should we fast trac and what rides to do after dark

But more importantly what's the five biggest waste of time and effort that you encountered

The most important question(s) that you need to answer:
    1) Are you going with children?
    2) Are you staying in one of the Disney Resorts?
  • Options
    Yes mate

14. 5. And 2

We are staying at the art of animation Disney hotel,.

Can't wait now, just a day a Way be going to Hilton at Gatwick soon to start the holiday today
  • Options
    Health and Safety just closed the one in Paris
  • Options
    Nice ta mate
  • Options
    2 Six foot mice been spotted in there
  • Options
    Boom boom been waiting for it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There are a lot of good suggestions but don't lose sight of the strain on the kids. The parks are massive and they're long days with a lot of standing about, so expect the two little ones to get tired. If you can take a day on and a day off relaxing. It's tempting to try and shoehorn everything in, but it will probably be less fun for them.

If they like it there are great firework shows particularly at MK and Epcot.

If you fancy a good dinner I'm a big fan of Charleys (IDrive and Kissimee) for great US steaks and Boston Lobster (same location, all you can eat seafood at a good price). The missus will also want to hit the outlet stores. There's some good stuff to be had, to be fair.

Have fun.
  • Options
    Cheers morts

We are going to try and have a few days off parks, the link to the alligators, the Dolphin swimming, and the beach,

Will find Charleys and tuck in live a bit of steak and lobster
  • Options
    If they are potter fans make sure you've got a park hopper ticket as you can't get the steam train unless you've got that. Head straight over to the Harry Potter bits in both parks first as the queue will just build on the main ride. Generally identify the busiest ride at each park and hit that first.

Grab yourself a pint of duff at moes tavern, Universal, surprisingly decent. Krusty Burgers are ok, too.

Here's a weird one, on some nights at universal they film TNA wrassling. If your lad likes this, it's a good night, totally free and you can get close to ringside.

If you want something non commercial and are in Kissimee you can visit Osecola Schools Environment Study Centre, which is a free boardwalk through the woods and swamp.
  • Options
    Definitely do Boggy Creek airboat rides, we went in the summer and it was great, you may or may not spot an alligator.

Can recommend Bahama Breeze restaurant on International Drive

I thought Universal had the better rides, Transformers, The Mummy and all the Harry Potter rides.

Busch Gardens is fantastic but the rollercoasters may be a little too much for the young ones, if you do go make sure you do the safari as you will be able to hand feed the giraffes which is fantastic
  • Options
    We did a planner before we went have a look at the www.thedibb.co.uk it has a forum on there and a lot of people own places on there, they tell you what parks are most busy on which days. We used to do Parks for a couple of days then have a day off, it is the most knackering holiday you will go on but also the most fun you will have, deffo do Busch Gardens the rides are the bollox, at Hollywood Studios do Tower of Terror and Rock n rolleer coaster they are brilliant. Magic Kingdom is as it's name says but is more geared for the youngsters The yeti ride at Animal Kingdom is brilliant as well . Most of all mate feckin enjoy it, I know how hard you have worked for the last 18 months and I am proud of what you have achieved, go smash it mate and love to the rags and the kids.
  • Options
    You'll love it mate. An adults playground. And the best bit - the look on your kids faces at the end of each day.

My top 5:
    1) Magic Kingdom
    2) Cirque de Soleil
    3) Universal
    4) Discovery Cove
    5) Airboats to see the alligators.

You won't be short of food, but I was really impressed with the African themed restaurant Jiko at Animal Kingdom. Plus after you can go and look at the animals with night vision glasses.

Enjoy.
  • Options
    Cheers Steve means a lot mate
  • Options

Definitely do Boggy Creek airboat rides, we went in the summer and it was great, you may or may not spot an alligator.

Can recommend Bahama Breeze restaurant on International Drive

I thought Universal had the better rides, Transformers, The Mummy and all the Harry Potter rides.

Busch Gardens is fantastic but the rollercoasters may be a little too much for the young ones, if you do go make sure you do the safari as you will be able to hand feed the giraffes which is fantastic

Did Boggy Creek a long time ago and what a disappointment ! Too noisy - you have ear defenders so can't talk to each other. Think we saw the nose of an alligator.

Probably too late now but Myakka State Park, just off the main North/south freeway South of Tampa, inland from Sarasota. The boat ride on the shallow lake is quiet AND alligators are swimming all around you and basking on the banks. It's completely natural. Check in advance that the boat is running.
  • Options

Yes mate

14. 5. And 2

We are staying at the art of animation Disney hotel,.

Can't wait now, just a day a Way be going to Hilton at Gatwick soon to start the holiday today

1) If you have a daughter or daughters a stop at the BippityBoppity Boutique is a must (check constantly for an appointment(s)
    2) Onsite, utilize the conceirge service to plan out your days @ Disney if possible.