Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Things to do in Disney world

We are going for Xmas to Disney world and I am bound to get over excited by the whole magical experience that in my head only Walt Disney can do, so Those who have been what's the five things you would recommend we make sure we do out there, especially what rides should we fast trac and what rides to do after dark

But more importantly what's the five biggest waste of time and effort that you encountered

Comments

• I've only been once and it was to Epcot, but if you've traveled, Epcot seems incrediby silly. If you're from middle/southern America and you have no idea what the outside world is like, I'm sure it's magical.
  • edited December 2015
    Paris or Florida?

Agree with the above BTW. My then 9 year old daughter nick-named Epcot "Crap-Cot". Wasn't overly impressed with Hollywood Studios either (both in Florida obviously).
  • NLA what age group are we talking here? Are you including young kiddies in the equation?
  • edited December 2015
    I have always loved Pirates of the Caribbean, it's really old now and haven't been on it for 20-odd years. Got fond memories from childhood of The Haunted Mansion and think it's called the Carousel of Progress. In Epcot I think there was some dinosaur ride thought was quite good due to the smell and atmosphere they created but the rest of Epcot was average I thought.

All about taste though really. I was lucky to go quite a few times when I was a lot younger and The Magic Kingdom was always 'magical' to me.
  • edited December 2015
    Expect it to be rammed. Book rides in advance
  • Florida

Ages 2, 5, and 14
  • Go waterskiing on Lake Bryan
    Spend a day at Disney Village
    Drive to Daytona Beach
    Eat by the lake at Celebration
    Spend a day at Typhoon Lagoon
  • No advice, but hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday mate.
  • Harry Potter world is a must for all the family.
    Tower of terror is a fav of mine
    Then there is to many to mention, the water parks are well worth a go
    Hard rock café and the Rain forest café are a must.
    And I think it was Epcot that had an amazing firework displace in the evening
    Personally I would not travel out of the Disney area because there is so much going on and some fantastic restaurants all over regardless of what part you stay in
  • Sponsored links:

• Florida

Ages 2, 5, and 14

Ok, so. To do:
    1. Magic Kingdom - a must for the two young ones. (Don't expect great roller coaster type rides though).
    2. Discovery Cove. If you can afford it, do the whole dolphin experience thing. The great thing with this place is you have to book in advance and it limits numbers so isn't too rammed.
    3. The Kraken. Great roller coaster in Sea World.
    4. Busch Gardens, Tampa. Ok, it's not Disney, but if you have time to get there it has the best selection of roller coasters in one place.
    5. Typhoon Lagoon and/or Blizzard Beach a must!

(Other mentions: Rock'n'roller coaster at MGM; Expedition Everest coaster in Animal Kingdom; Epcot fireworks).

To avoid? Difficult really as it's all about taste but:

1. Nothing as far as I'm concerned, it was all great fun! Even enjoyed Epcot because it's different and the 'Test Track' ride was a giggle. Horses for courses as they say.

Have a great time.
  • You and the 14 year old will love pretty much every ride at Universal Studios (both parks)...Spiderman, Simpsons, Transformers the pick for me....possibly a bit much for the younger two... Hollywood Studios not so good. The Disney water parks are great and fun for all... Didn't go to Disney World when we went last summer, so can't offer any advice, sorry. Have a fantastic time - I'm dead jealous.
  • Rim Minnie
  • Get to Busch Gardens and Universal. Busch Gardens is great and the bus there is free with a park ticket.

Simpsons, Transformers, Spiderman, Escape from Gringotts and The Mummy Returns are all good simulator rides at Universal.

Disney isn't really about the rides and to be honest you'll never have enough time to get round everything.

Legoland is good for younger kids.

Wild Florida is good. Spend 30-45mins in their small animal park, feed gators and handle the babies before heading out on an hour airboat ride.

Air Florida helicopter over downtown Orlando.

Wonderworks dinner/magic show.

Orlando Eye/Ripleys/Madam Tuesuades.

Black Angus Steak house at the top of International Drive is superb and reasonably priced.

My daughter loved the dolphin swim at Discovery Cove, but if you haven't booked already I doubt you'll get in over Xmas. It is a really good day out - worth seeing if you can get in.

Sea World is great after dark and they do completly different shows once the sun goes down.

Shopping! Premium Outlets will empty your wallet! Keep your missus away from Michael Koors!!!!

Loads more that you probably already know.

Only been back 4 weeks after our aecond trip in 3 years and we are seriously considering Xmas next year. Only concern would be how busy the parks will be. First year we went to Magic Kingdom on Thanksgiving and it was heaving. Fast passes will be a must at this time of year. At all parks I would think.
  • I was there at Christmas in 1998 and all of the Magic Kingdom car parks were full quite early in the morning. I got around it by booking a table for lunch at the Contemporary Resort hotel and then using the free monorail. I advise you either get there extra early or do something similar so you can park at the hotel.

For Magic Kingdom:

Space Mountain, Splash Mountain for the 14 year old.
    Haunted Mansion for the elder two.
    All sorts of magic stuff for the youngest, like just hugging the "characters" or having a train ride.

Best avoided - the car race ride. Really lame, even for the 5 year old.

Universal Studios generally much better rides for the eldest.

Agree with Typhoon Lagoon/Blizzard Beach for all.

Epcot will be a bit boring for them, except for the laser/fireworks display before closing. Spectacular.

Special times there when my kids were much younger. Have a great time NLA.
  • With young Scarlett in mind, NLA, I'd hope the Peter Pan ride in the Magic Kingdom is still running.

When we went to LA in '84, our daughter was 6 and she loved that one. And she'll adore seeing all the Disney characters up close.

Pirates of the Caribbean has always been my favourite .."Yo ho yo ho, a pirates' life for me" will be buzzing around in your nut for weeks ! As will the refrain from It's a Small World which your daughter will also love, I guess.

Mr F suggests Thunder Mountain as a good ride for the 2 older children and he loved The Bear Jamboree - a show in Frontierland.

We also loved Universal Studios which featured a brilliant ET ride back in the 80's/90's and The Blues Brothers slot was great. Make sure you look at the day's programme of events when you arrive so that you can plan your time there & take in as many of the shows that you can as well as the rides.

Agree that Busch Gardens is definitely worth visiting too - couple of good water rides so make sure you have your towels handy.

Have to admit that we haven't been to Florida and all its attractions since 2000 so I'm certain there have been many worthwhile changes since then, but you'll have a fantastic time there !

Enjoy !
  • I will be at the California one with the kids this Christmas. What I can say is that Xmas day is the best day bar none to be there. Make sure you get a good spot for the Xmas Day parade. Assume the arrangements are the same at Florida and Cali - in previous years they have clearly spent a bucket on it. It is a step up from the normal parade.
  • Thanks Dan appreciate that sentiment
  • Thanks everyone we are staying on site I have to look at a little mermaid for two weeks every time I wake up but we get the extra hr in morning and night plus all the bits you get from Mickey like the bands and magical memory package

Dolphins booked already
    Princess boutique booked already
    Dinner with alsa and her sister booked already

Really interested in the wildflorida bit and we have already said Xmas day is the day we Want to hit one of the Water parks,

It's me that needs to stay away from shopping as from what I have been told, being a bigger chap clothes for me will be easy to pick up and that I won't be a stand out fattie in fact quite the opposite

We have the ticket package that covers all Disney, busch, universal etc,

I can't wait like a big kid myself and they have had to be alone with just mum for very long spells this year it's time to kick back and spend time together especially at Xmas,

• Sounds like you have earned a good holiday and it's a great place to go especially with family. Make sure you do the Harry Potter ride as it is worth the hours queuing up for it and there is absolute shed loads to do at all the theme parks. If you like a rollercoaster I would suggest the dueling Dragons at Universal and the Cheetah ride at Busch.
  • Sponsored links:

• At Disney get the photo pass. They'll take your photo on many of the rides and every time you see a photographer at scenic location, or with a character, they'll take your pic and scan your band to make sure you get them in your account online. It's called Memory Maker.
  • Thanks everyone we are staying on site I have to look at a little mermaid for two weeks every time I wake up but we get the extra hr in morning and night plus all the bits you get from Mickey like the bands and magical memory package

Dolphins booked already
    Princess boutique booked already
    Dinner with alsa and her sister booked already

Really interested in the wildflorida bit and we have already said Xmas day is the day we Want to hit one of the Water parks,

It's me that needs to stay away from shopping as from what I have been told, being a bigger chap clothes for me will be easy to pick up and that I won't be a stand out fattie in fact quite the opposite

We have the ticket package that covers all Disney, busch, universal etc,

I can't wait like a big kid myself and they have had to be alone with just mum for very long spells this year it's time to kick back and spend time together especially at Xmas,

This who we booked Wild Florida with. Don't even think about making your own way there, you'll never find it! Really is in the middle of nowhere.

This link is for a 30min airboat trip but would recommend the 1hr ride.

http://www.orlando-tours.com/offer/208/Airboat-Ride-with-Transportation-from-Orlando#.Vm3rCuzfWnM

The web site for the actual place is:

http://wildfloridairboats.com/

We booked this through the excursions desk at the hotel. It gets busy so you'll need to book 3-4 days in advance.
  • LoOkOuT said:

At Disney get the photo pass. They'll take your photo on many of the rides and every time you see a photographer at scenic location, or with a character, they'll take your pic and scan your band to make sure you get them in your account online. It's called Memory Maker.

Booked it mate I spend a fortune on those pics seemed to good a price to not take advantage of, and the fact its all on the mickey bands means no cash needed and they get delivered to the room
  • edited December 2015
    Me with the wife and one of my boys last summer at Disney. Actually, he's 32 now.
  • Busch gardens - best rides

Airboats (boggy creek) - just good fun

Gatorland - kids love crocs

Magic kingdom for kiddies

Cape Canaveral nasa space centre - interesting but kids might get bored

I've been there for a Christmas Day and we found it surprisingly quiet - maybe got lucky. Was really cold though so take a fleece just in case.

On international drive there's Ripleys believe it or not and a few other cool places. Loads of mini golf too.
  • Ta Swis,

The weather seems really up and down 86 one day 66 the next, have the fleece in the case
  • Be prepared for crap beer.
  • Thats the worst but of news I have had so far
  • masicat said:

Me with the wife and one of my boys last summer at Disney. Actually, he's 32 now.

is that the new third kit?