Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brighton v Charlton | Sat 05 Dec | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Brighton and Hove Albion v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 05 December 2015 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Keith Stroud (Hampshire)

Introduction

Once again it hasn’t been the best of weeks to be a Charlton fan, in my previous Match Preview I mentioned the dangers of two wins coming along like buses (i.e. one being straight after the other), sadly when two buses turn up at the same time, there can often be a long wet wait for another… That certainly seemed the case last Saturday when the Sky curse remained over the Valley with Ipswich returning to Suffolk with all three points… On the other hand our opponents this Saturday lasted another week without suffering a single defeat as they overcame Birmingham City.

As the title of this thread states though, it is a Match Preview so I’d better look ahead to the next match which is of course on a significant date, despite our current owners only wanting to look to the future, the 5th December is one of the most important in Charlton’s history as they finally returned to the Valley after a long exile, and it is a date that has remained on Charlton’s side as they have only lost once on this date in recent times… It’s ironic that our match this Saturday is against another side who have had their own ground battles but Brighton and Hove Albion have yet to lose this season, the maximum points will be difficult to obtain, but everyone loses eventually…

The Opposition
Name: Brighton and Hove Albion | Manager: Chris Hughton
Ground: The Amex Stadium: | Nickname: The Seagulls

Not much is really known when it comes to Brighton and their early history (well using Wikipedia anyway)… they were formed in 1901 and in 1920 were elected to the Football League and so played their first season in the Third Division (they finished that year in 18th place and only five places above the bottom of the league), the following season would be interesting in the fact that the Third Division would become regionalised (with two separate North and South Divisions)

The other difference to that league season saw the introduction of Charlton Athletic who despite being in their first Football League year would go on to finish in 16th place with 37-points, three places and two points ahead of our current day opponents… For those of you wondering (as I doubt there are many around today who went to that first fixture), the first match between these sides was played at the Valley with Charlton winning 1-0, just a week later we made the trip to the coast yet the team failed to capitalise on that win and so lost 2-0 (Some things never change do they…)

Last Meeting @ the Amex Stadium: Brighton & Hove Albion 2-2 Charlton Athletic

Charlton Team News
With this being a rare late preview from myself it also means that I have the gossip from the Manager without any guessing being required… The main news to come from the press conference was that Johnnie Jackson could be fit enough to make an appearance, also mentioned by Karel Fraeye was the disappointment from Simon Makienok after a poor performance last time out… Despite this admission from the Striker though, maybe it’s time to try to Strike force that ended the match against Ipswich?

Henderson
Holmes-Dennis … Bauer … Sarr … Fox
Gudmundsson … Cousins … Diarra … Ghoochanniejad
Lookman … Vaz Te

Substitutes Bench: Pope … Solly … Lennon … Ba … Jackson … Ahearne-Grant … Makienok

Prediction
Brighton and Hove Albion 0-1 Charlton Athletic (Vaz Te)

Comments

• Difficult game. Was fantastic last year but I'm making the trip expecting to be disappointed.

Brighton 3-0 Charlton
  • expecting us to lose,, should be a good day out for the fans going down as brighton/lewes is full of pubs 2-0 loss unfortunately.
  • I think THD might play instead of Fox (who has been woeful recently), leaving Solly at right back. Ba will replace Jackson (he only missed the Ipswich game through suspension). Up front it is anyone's guess, but Vaz Te does deserve a start - whether that is for big Si or little Ade I don't know...
  • Pedro45 said:

I think THD might play instead of Fox (who has been woeful recently), leaving Solly at right back. Ba will replace Jackson (he only missed the Ipswich game through suspension). Up front it is anyone's guess, but Vaz Te does deserve a start - whether that is for big Si or little Ade I don't know...

Ba was on the bench against Ipswich, it was the Birmingham game that he missed through suspension
  • Maybe we can be the first team to beat Brighton this season, it's unlikely but we can hope. Expecting a team something like:

Henderson
    Solly Bauer Sarr Holmes-Dennis

Diarra
    Cousins Jackson
    Gudmundsson

Makienok Vaz Te

KF said about not burning Lookman out and think THD deserves a place at left back. Hoping Jackson will be okay to play.

Oh why not, 2-1 Charlton
  • Like the look of that proposed team FA, though room for Jackson if fit .. Brighton ? .. load of poseurs in tight shorts ..

Brighton & Hove Albion 1 v CAFC 3
  • Can't fancy us at all, but not expecting a rout. 2-0 I reckon.
    Should you fancy us to cause an upset, we can be backed at 8/1 !
  • Someone has to be the first team to beat Brighton this season. Not saying it will be us as know better than to try to predict what Charlton will do. Lets hope they play with the desire they showed against Sheff Wed, and not how they played against Ipswich. Hoping that was Sky's fault.
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2015
    That 2-2 seems a long time ago.
    We will lose 3-0 of course. 'That's what we do.'
  • 5th of December, we always win on the 5th of December. Only problem is we have a criminal refereeing us.
  • Park the bus, train and any cars nearby, 0-0.
  • Be interesting to see how we line up for this one. Makienok I feel is needed even more so away from home for his defensive attributes, its just whether we can get the support players to him often/fast enough to create enough chances for us to score.

Shocked to see Brighton have only scored more than twice in one game this season. They aren't exactly the prolific Leicester/Watford/Boro type we've seen in the Championship recently.

On that basis, it has to be 3-0 Brighton.
  • ForeverAddickted queried whether "....maybe it's time to start the Strike force that ended the match against Ipswich "

and my weirdly wired brain immediately turned to Star Wars and the forthcoming BlockBuster.

I remember when Luke Young was playing for us, a group of regulars used to shout " Luuuuke ! May the force be with you !" which always made me smile.

So, how about some " Luuuukeman ! May the force be with you !" as Charlton "awakens" and "strikes back" against the Tesco Carrier Bags ?

Oh, and not forgetting the Jingle Bells away song.....

I live in hope.
  • edited December 2015
    Brighton haven't been in as good form lately but I don't expect us to get any points. Will be delighted with a draw.
  • 0-5 at half time, but only let in 2 more after the break.

Pinocchio decrees "this is great progress" and Carol appointed to the end of the season.

Several senior players take to social media and apologise to fans, saying we'll do better next week.

Muzza seen later in a dark corner of the Amex car park sobbing gently and muttering something about "that woman's bloody barking!"

• Moussa played for the under 21's, so I expect him to be on the bench, unless an injury worry
  • I'm thinking Lennon might come in for Sarr as he is woeful and the cynic in me that the club want him to sign a new contract. Hes got to better than Sarr but still 2-0 Brighton.
  • 2-0 Brighton, the rot continues. Bring on the FA Cup!!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2015
  • This could turn ugly. Concede early and it will be an absolute hammering. Don't concede early? We'll lose 3-0.
  • Park the bus and hope Brighton score an own goal.
  • In the spirit of Christmas I think we will get a good stuffing. 3-0.
  • Sage said:

Maybe we can be the first team to beat Brighton this season, it's unlikely but we can hope. Expecting a team something like:

Henderson
    Solly Bauer Sarr Holmes-Dennis

Diarra
    Cousins Jackson
    Gudmundsson

Makienok Vaz Te

KF said about not burning Lookman out and think THD deserves a place at left back. Hoping Jackson will be okay to play.

Oh why not, 2-1 Charlton

This, except for 1-0 (Vaz Te)
  • Really looking at the form book we shouldn't bother turning up for this one but in football you just never know. Have a bad feeling really as Brighton sooner or later will thump someone. 4-0 Brighton and the gloom carries on.
  • Brighton have only once scored more than 2 goals this season, and never won a game by more than 1 goal so I expect this to be tight; to me they're well coached and organised team rather than something special.
    On that basis I expect them to win 2-1, which seems to be their favourite scoreline!
  • Brighton to stop at 4.

4-0
  • An amazing rearguard action will have Brighton rocked with a 1-0 to Charlton.
  • Football's a funny old game and I've got a feeling this might be a heroic 0-1 (Vaz Te). 70-1 on the scorecast