Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

5 Of The Best/Most Influential Musical Frontmen/women

Comments

• Options
    cafcpolo said:
    Going for a frontman, rather than a solo artist, and in the "best" rather than "influential" category, Tim Booth of James impressed me greatly.
    I've seen James quite a few times now, love their music and for the most part are great live. However, I personally think Booth is a self righteous prick who seems to spend more time preaching than performing these days.
    It was back in 98 I saw them cafcpolo, no idea what he preaches about these days, but I'll take your word on it.  
  • Options
    Not one of the top 5 - but Alex Harvey was a mighty fine front man.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Bruce Dickinson
    Robert Plant
    Ian Gillan
    Bon Scott
    Jim Morrison
    Ozzy Osbourne
    I know it say's 5 but couldn't leave Ozzy out... ;)
    Just wondering if you're into metal at all?;)
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Best: Janice, Grace, Debbie, Mick, Buddy.

Influential?  No idea. Ask those who’ve been influenced. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Bruce Dickinson
    Robert Plant
    Ian Gillan
    Bon Scott
    Jim Morrison
    Ozzy Osbourne
    I know it say's 5 but couldn't leave Ozzy out... ;)
    Just wondering if you're into metal at all?;)
    🤷‍♂️...Nah,... oh and i forgot a couple more...
    Jimi Hendrix
    Paul Rogers
    Lemmy
     ;) 
  • Options
    I Dont know about Influential , but for me Andy McCluskey of Orchestral Manoeuvres In Dark , always gives it his all and engages with his fans so well . 
  • Options
    Mick Jagger
    Freddie Mercury

The rest are just playing at it.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Rob Harvey from The Music was insane, brilliant and as well as being a really good guitarist and singer was completely enthralling 
    I hadn't thought of The Music for years!ight have to relisten. Saw them once and he was great,.some serious moves
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    So far with very few exceptions, we haven't strayed too far postcode wise culturally 
  • Options
    So far with very few exceptions, we haven't strayed too far postcode wise culturally 
    What does that mean?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    What does that mean?
    Emir Kusturica
    Paolo Conte
    Gilberto Gill
    Jaques Brel
    Miles Davis
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    sensational even.
  • Options
    @fadgadget beat me to it but Andy McCluskey of OMD is probably the best frontman I have seen in a live act. If you've seen OMD, you know.
    Hugh Cornwell's deadpan presence, or Stuart Adamson leading Big Country were fine an dandy, but McCluskey rocks.
  • Options
    Greenie said:
    Mark Oliver Everett, the frontman of Eels. I'm guessing here but there can't have been many other (any?) American rock singers who have been granted Freedom of The City of London. (A great gig at the Barbican afterwards too.)
    Yes he's really one of the most influential frontmen, ever......said only you. Whenever we have a thread like this, you always get someone who picks an obscure person that the majority have never heard of, why?
    I agree with @Greenie
    E is a seriously underrated rock great imo.  

As for 'influential' what is the definition?
    Influential to society or politics?
    Influential musically to other subsequent artists or influential in their own group?

And why a 'frontman?' Who, for example was the 'frontman' of The Beatles? 

Additionally, sometimes a member of a group who is not lead singer can be more of an influence on the group's direction.

• Options
    Anyway my vote for the best in this category as I interpret it is Michael Hutchence. I feel blessed to have been so close. He radiated love, energy, excitement and happiness. I will always love him.

• Options
    Off_it said:
    What does that mean?
    Emir Kusturica
    Paolo Conte
    Gilberto Gill
    Jaques Brel
    Miles Davis
    Oh right, I see. Roughly translated as "nobody has said "look at me"". 

Until your post.
  • Options
    From a more recent time - Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day deserves a mention 
  • Options
    i was lucky enough to see the Cramps in their prime, and Lux Interior was incredible as a front man.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    What does that mean?
    Emir Kusturica
    Paolo Conte
    Gilberto Gill
    Jaques Brel
    Miles Davis

Until your post.
    Thank you.
    Not resting on my Laurels, I'm looking to expand. Suggestions for additional reasons to post on here are most welcome.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    What does that mean?
    Emir Kusturica
    Paolo Conte
    Gilberto Gill
    Jaques Brel
    Miles Davis

Until your post.
    Thank you.
    Not resting on my Laurels, I'm looking to expand. Suggestions for additional reasons to post on here are most welcome.
    Apart form Miles Davis I haven’t heard of the other 4………has anyone else?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    What does that mean?
    Emir Kusturica
    Paolo Conte
    Gilberto Gill
    Jaques Brel
    Miles Davis

Until your post.
    Thank you.
    Of course not. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    What does that mean?
    Emir Kusturica
    Paolo Conte
    Gilberto Gill
    Jaques Brel
    Miles Davis

Until your post.
    Thank you.
    Next time the non smoking orchestra is in town, do yourself a favour, with or without Kustorica (he may be busy directing) go go go... 7/8, 9/8, even 11/8 but you will fall in love. Brel and Miles are nobodies (put there for the one obvious reason) Conte sings about cyclists boxers and lonely Zebras, Gilberto Gill, loves trains (2222).
  • Options
    Thinking of ones I've seen live 

Billy Joe Armstrong- great shout whoever put his name forwards 
    Ian Brown (if there is no Ian Brown it follows that there is no Liam Gallagher) 
    Rob Harvey 
    Cody Cannon - Google him and whiskey myers 
    Now I'm torn between Paul Weller assuming its the Paul Weller who turns up and is in a good mood, plays the hits and chats to the crowd as opposed to the one that makes you tolerate a load of style council b-sides, his latest new album and various covers of obscure artists before he remembers he wrote A Town Called Malice. Prince, saw him play at the hop farm festival and went from an admittedly casual fan of his hits to being completely in awe of him and his presence and tolerated what felt like a 20 minute guitar solo most of which he had his back to the crowd, didn't care, I was hooked. Tom Meighan from Kasabian, pure energy, Huey from Fun Loving Criminals, Keith Flint from the Prodigy, Brian Johnson from ACDC, Axl Rose, Billy Ocean, Chas Hodges and Justin Hawkins from the darkness. 

Honorable mentions to the following inhave only witnessed on a screen 

Johnny Cash
    Joe Strummer 
    Simon Le Bon
    Freddie Mercury 
    Joe Elliott
    Chrissie Hyde
    Johnny Rotten 

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    What does that mean?
    Emir Kusturica
    Paolo Conte
    Gilberto Gill
    Jaques Brel
    Miles Davis

Until your post.
    Thank you.
    Next time the non smoking orchestra is in town, do yourself a favour, with or without Kustorica (he may be busy directing) go go go... 7/8, 9/8, even 11/8 but you will fall in love. Brel and Miles are nobodies (put there for the one obvious reason) Conte sings about cyclists boxers and lonely Zebras, Gilberto Gill, loves trains (2222).
    Would have loved to have the No Smocking Orchestra @lennylowrent, do they tour much and when did you see them?
  • Options
    Michael Hutchence. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    What does that mean?
    Emir Kusturica
    Paolo Conte
    Gilberto Gill
    Jaques Brel
    Miles Davis

Until your post.
    Thank you.
    I hear a lot about Jacques Brel, in fact constantly from one person so much that it's become a joke between us. It's worth mentioning of course that I live in France.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    What does that mean?
    Emir Kusturica
    Paolo Conte
    Gilberto Gill
    Jaques Brel
    Miles Davis

Until your post.
    Thank you.
    Would have loved to have the No Smocking Orchestra @lennylowrent, do they tour much and when did you see them?
    In Tel Aviv.
    They have been to Israel a few times since. i now live in Perth Western Australia. We live in hope...
  • Options
    Dave Grohl
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    What does that mean?
    Emir Kusturica
    Paolo Conte
    Gilberto Gill
    Jaques Brel
    Miles Davis

Until your post.
    Thank you.
    In Tel Aviv.
    They have been to Israel a few times since. i now live in Perth Western Australia. We live in hope...
    Long way to go for a gig.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Saw him at Dingwalls one Sunday lunchtime, supported by Blast Furnace and..., excellent performance, I still have the bits of towel he tore up to stuff his cheeks for one particular track.