Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

5 Of The Best/Most Influential Musical Frontmen/women

Comments

• Options
    Only one winner - Brian Wilson.

Please therefore close this thread now -:)
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    The guy from Kraftwerk was pretty damn good!

• Options
    stonemuse said:

Tough subject so will stick to the first five that come to mind:

David Bowie
    John Lydon
    Ian Brown
    Roger Daltrey
    Lou Reed

all these.

and Marriott, Gary Numan (influential), Paul Weller and Dave Gahan.
  • Options
    Going for a frontman, rather than a solo artist, and in the "best" rather than "influential" category, Tim Booth of James impressed me greatly.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Francis Rossi from The Mighty Status Quo
  • Options
    Mike Batt and Tony Hatch.

Wombles Crossroads
  • Options

Wombles Crossroads

One of the most underrated supergroups, IMHO.
  • Options

Our Liam (Prick, but can't argue that he weren't influential)

I think you are mixing up "influential" with "influenced".
  • Options
    Ian Brown.
  • Options
    Granpa said:

Chris Barber no contest.

Jazz musician or Covered End late 60s ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1. Ian Dury

Jim Morrison
    Bono
    Freddie Mercury
    Mick Jagger

1 had talent, despise the rest but can't deny their influence
  • Options
    Little Richard. Certainly influenced many more famous singers (not that he was without fame). Lemmy for example!
  • Options
    Having seen him live in his pomp Ian Anderson of Jethroe Tull was/is an absolute master of communication with a crowd. makes Freddie Mercury (also good at working the crowd) seem half asleep.
    BTW there are not my favourites, but I'm talking frontman/woman, not best singer.
    Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood mac fame could deliver, and of course Tina Turner and Mick Jagger.
    In terms of being absolutely compelling but not trying then I would suggest the very much missed Jeff Buckley, check out Lover You Should have Come Over from Chicago 1995 Mystery White Boy tour.
    There is of course the incomparable James Brown, but also Jerry Lee Lewis, and believe it or not another amazing front man was/is Arthur Brown of 'Fire' fame, complete with theatrics and an astonishing vocal range.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Influential, in the way that they inspired others/a loyal following:

Bob Marley
    Robert Smith (sorry, personal favourite so has to be in every top 5/10 etc)
    Lennon/McCartney
    Debbie Harry
    Kurt Cobain

The best....hmmm...different IMHO

Robert Smith (see above)
    Freddie Mercury
    Thom Yorke
    Mick Jagger
    But then could have Damon Albarn, Ian Brown, Shaun Ryder etc etc as all very good at what they do....

no idea how or why ian brown gets in there?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Having seen him live in his pomp Ian Anderson of Jethroe Tull was/is an absolute master of communication with a crowd. makes Freddie Mercury (also good at working the crowd) seem half asleep.
    BTW there are not my favourites, but I'm talking frontman/woman, not best singer.
    Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood mac fame could deliver, and of course Tina Turner and Mick Jagger.
    In terms of being absolutely compelling but not trying then I would suggest the very much missed Jeff Buckley, check out Lover You Should have Come Over from Chicago 1995 Mystery White Boy tour.
    There is of course the incomparable James Brown, but also Jerry Lee Lewis, and believe it or not another amazing front man was/is Arthur Brown of 'Fire' fame, complete with theatrics and an astonishing vocal range.

I recently re bought " the crazy world of arthur brown" and was amazed at how good his voice was.

• Options
    Don't understand how someone like Freddie Mercury can be 'despised'? Is that a thing!?
  • Options
    Hmmm, perhaps despise was an inappropriate word. Not aimed at the individuals (well except for Bono), but I loathe their music, far too happy for an old misanthrope :-)
  • Options
    Harry MacGregor Woods who in 1926 wrote that much loved song "When the Red, Red Robin Comes Bob, Bob, Bobbin' Along"

U.S. - Hank Williams, Dylan, Ray Charles, Johnny Cash, Hendrix.

U.K. - Long John Baldry, Dusty Springfield, Syd Barrett, Robert Plant, Mark Knopfler

Great question @i_b_b_o_r_g thanks for being the catalyst for many good thoughts and memories.

@seth plum it was hard not to include Jeff Buckley as he's one of my favourites too, did you read he has a new (never been released) album coming out in March? Early cover stuff, can't wait :smile:
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited December 2015
    Elvis Presley
    Morrissey

The following have gone on record to say they were influenced by Elvis

John Lennon
    Paul McCartney
    James Brown
    Bruce Springsteen
    Cliff Richard
    Billy Fury
    Vince Eager (sic)
    Morrissey

Not a bad list :-)

• Options
    Didn't Rod Stewart put in a stint with a few bands...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Morrissey
    Bruce Springsteen
    Madonna
    Mick Jagger
    Michael Jackson

Probably the best 5 front people I've seen, that have influenced many others.

• Options
    Tony Hadley...
  • Options
    Influential?
    Well it's Elvis isn't it.

Would also say Iggy Pop, Robert Plant, Mick Jagger & John Lennon were influential as well.

On the subject of best front man, Mike Patton and Freddy Mercury.
  • Options
    As far as front men goes the best for me was David Lee Roth. Total performer. !980 at the Rainbow was awesome.
    near misses:
    Roger Daltrey
    Steve Marriot
    David Bowie (if you can count non 'band' artists)
    Ray Davies

good to mention:
    Stuart Adamson
    Bono (There goes what little credibility I had)
  • Options
    Front women:

Crissie Hynde
    Janis Joplin
    Dusty Springfield
    Annie Lennox
    Kate Bush
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Not a frontman, but Rick Allen from Def Leppard deserves a mention for influence/inspiration for overcoming adversity.

Coming from Sheffield?
  • Options

As far as front men goes the best for me was David Lee Roth. Total performer. !980 at the Rainbow was awesome.
    near misses:
    Roger Daltrey
    Steve Marriot
    David Bowie (if you can count non 'band' artists)
    Ray Davies

good to mention:
    Stuart Adamson
    Bono (There goes what little credibility I had)

Not at all, there's a big difference between favourite recording artist and top front man. I strongly suspect many commenting on this thread have never seen the people they are championing, even though many of them may have been amazing when seen "in concert" on a video. I saw Gary Numan once, as my wife was a fan from childhood. He was extremely good, even though his music would not be my first choice, I would certainly go and see him as a performer again.
  • Options

Going for a frontman, rather than a solo artist, and in the "best" rather than "influential" category, Tim Booth of James impressed me greatly.

Agreed Perry - was massively impressed when I saw them in 09. Great frontman and great band.
  • Options

Agreed Perry - was massively impressed when I saw them in 09. Great frontman and great band.
    Oh sit down