Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Chef Wendy - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    vffvff
    edited November 2015
    LuckyReds said:

I'm quite surprised by how well the formation worked to be honest, in the first 30 (despite our dominance) I was a bit worried we were toothless up front. Despite having 3 men up top, it felt more like one - with Reza and Gudmundsson still getting pulled out wide leaving Makienok alone in the box. In essence leaving us with something akin to a back 4-5-1 with Reza and Gudmundsson playing as wingers.

There were a few times when the box looked empty of red shirts, and I felt that when we played to a lower tempo and tried to pass the ball around in their half it didn't look like we'd be able to break them down.

That's not to be overly negative though, because it did work. It's worth noting that our two goals from open play both came from very neat football, nice passes and a fast tempo. Wednesday weren't able to cope with that, and I think it made the most of Reza and Gudmundsson - that play seems to suit them, and it's worth noting how composed Johann is even when he's close/in between opponents. Makienok also showed he was more than just a big lump, although he's very good with the ball to his head (unsurprisingly!) he's also very good playing a passing game.

All three of the front line deserve a good 8/10 in my mind - brilliant performances and good to see both strikers on the scoreline, although Gudmundsson's free kick and positioning in the second half should've got him on there too.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but Solly's tackle to break up play when he needed to go off had me in stitches. The fact the referee appeared to want to give him a card shows just how unaware the ref was to what was going on. Hopefully we'll see him back very soon... although, if we don't then THD has showed himself to be a very worthy back-up.

Ref didn't notice the Solly injury and the sub. Solly made sure the play stopped and headed directly off the pitch. To his credit the ref didn't book him.

THD did manage well and maybe could retain his place. If the other team has a decent winger, Jordan Cousins can also be a decent right back up. He has covered this position very competently.
  • Options

Fill your boots for the next week Ibi and Simon,

Then Stop !

Good of you to give them your consent (:
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Watching the highlights reminded me how good Mak's feet were for the third. Once again proving that he is NOT simply a big lump who's only useful in the air.

He has his limitations as shown when twice set up by Lookman late on, but I did think the same when watching that goal again.
  • Options
    Big Mak is more than a decent player for us.
  • Options
    CatAddick said:

Ba was much improved but stupidly got a thoroughly deserved booking for encroaching on a free kick.

I thought he was a little unlucky. Looked to me like we was standing preventing a quick fk like a hundred other players and the Wendy player deliberately booted the ball at him

Foresteri, that charmless, graceless nerk got him booked by booting the ball at him. He took the opportunity, Ba was standing there, but Forresteri demonstrated his lack of class.
  • Options
    Big Mak is not that good in the air. He is pretty decent with ball into feet and I just hope he gets some more goals and more confidence so he takes some chances rather than going for the assists
  • Options
    Owls looked tired after midweek exertion but still had to be put to the sword.
    Arrived in the east stand just as JBG took corner. Playing into the covered end 1stvhalf worked a treat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't agree more. A great day for us on the pitch. I was a bit annoyed that I couldn't buy the boy his hot dog at half time as they had run out. The conversation went 'how can you have no hot dogs, I am one of the first here at half time' shrug 'surely the only way this can happen is through gross incompetence' best response from the man there 'yes, I agree but it is not mine'. Fair play I'll have a beer and some crisps.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

vff said:

CatAddick said:

Ba was much improved but stupidly got a thoroughly deserved booking for encroaching on a free kick.

I thought he was a little unlucky. Looked to me like we was standing preventing a quick fk like a hundred other players and the Wendy player deliberately booted the ball at him

Foresteri, that charmless, graceless nerk got him booked by booting the ball at him. He took the opportunity, Ba was standing there, but Forresteri demonstrated his lack of class.

Forestieri is a vile little creature. Everything that's wrong with modern football rolled into one horrible cheating individual.
    Him and his ex Watford sidekick Pudil who yelped like a girlie to try and get one of ours sent off on a Tuesday night a couple of seasons ago!
  • Options

We were completely transformed yesterday with a combination of re-arranging players positions (especially Diarra in a defensive midfield position and Gudmundson in a far more central role. Sarr did well in defence except for the obvious air kick and Reza and Mak played far better than they ever have before) and a higher tempo and a better mentality. The re-arrangement of players and the higher tempo has to be the responsibility of the coach so well done to him. The mentality has also to do with him and the captain. Johnnie Jackson has very good leadership skills and whilst slower than he was he is a VITAL element in the way we play in that he is leading by example but also telling the players what for. These three things combined to make a complete performance yesterday and how quickly did we get behind the team and applauding the team off the pitch off at half time summed up how we were all feeling. Such a turn around, unexpected as it was, owed less to Wednesday and more to our approach tactically, positionally, and mentally. Yesterday was such a great day; I turned up for the protest but my satisfaction was always with the performance. Cousins would have fitted in to that performance; I am not sure Tony Watt would have and that is a shame as he does have talent. Lookman has to feature more regularly as he looks to be another Callum Harriott but with more skill and flair; I hope his feet stay on the ground and that Charlton will not make the same mistake they made with Poyet and that Lookman does not make the same mistake Poyet made.Still early days but what a win and such a great feeling.

Yes spot on BJ!

Yesterday was a day for a tight midfield option which said 'you will not pass' and to have experienced players onboard given that the young uns have suffered over the past few games.
  • Options
    diarra was immense - as he has been all season - luzons biggest mistake was not moving him into midfield. jackson was 100% as always and with gudmunsen moving in and out of midfield, the ability we had in there was better than at any other game this season - ba contributed with his engine - rather than mucking up[ the flow in the centre - reza and mak were both capable and fit and a good combo - defence was sound = fox ok defensively, not great on ball - a weak link in my book - henderson 1st class and thd and lookman both very impressive - bauer v good as a;ways and sarr will get better and better - we will b ok
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

diarra was immense - as he has been all season - luzons biggest mistake was not moving him into midfield. jackson was 100% as always and with gudmunsen moving in and out of midfield, the ability we had in there was better than at any other game this season - ba contributed with his engine - rather than mucking up[ the flow in the centre - reza and mak were both capable and fit and a good combo - defence was sound = fox ok defensively, not great on ball - a weak link in my book - henderson 1st class and thd and lookman both very impressive - bauer v good as a;ways and sarr will get better and better - we will b ok

Perfect summary, in my book - thank you!
  • Options

Fill your boots for the next week Ibi and Simon,

Then Stop !

Good of you to give them your consent (:
    Trouble was i said the same to Igor a year ago
    and he's lost all his energy since :blush:

• Options
    Is there any footage of Ademola Lookman skinning a player so badly they had to be treated for embarrassment?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Is there any footage of Ademola Lookman skinning a player so badly they had to be treated for embarrassment?

That was TDH.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Dazzler21 said:

That was TDH.
    Or even Tareiq Holmes-Dennis,
    Not Regan Charles-Cook who is a mid fielder who did fill in at RB earlier in the season. i heard people at the ground and on CL say they got mixed up.
    We need to bring the names back on the screen for the 90 minutes or else some of the marks are going to be invalid !

• Options

1StevieG said:

Dazzler21 said:

That was TDH.
    Or even Tareiq Holmes-Dennis,
    Not Regan Charles-Cook who is a mid fielder who did fill in at RB earlier in the season. i heard people at the ground and on CL say they got mixed up.
    We need to bring the names back on the screen for the 90 minutes or else some of the marks are going to be invalid !

I'm not sure what RCC's best position is, he is a right back or right midfielder? Either way, being more right footed he might have been the more obvious replacement for Solly, but THD did well
  • Options
    Apologies, does anyone have the Holmes Dennis footage?
  • Options
    Best win all season so far and now we've got the poxy international break
    Typical

• Options
    Best £100 I've ever lost. Great effort from the players. It's them that have earned this 3 points.

KM/RD out, we've won 3 points despite their best efforts.
  • Options
    Addicted said:

Best £100 I've ever lost. Great effort from the players. It's them that have earned this 3 points.

KM/RD out, we've won 3 points despite their best efforts.

You think they don't want us to win?

That's not it. They just think they're bove us that's all...

• Options
    Posting late but I still feel like I was in an alternative football universe on Saturday after the debacles against Preston and Brentford I was expecting another drubbing. Happily somebody worked out that putting Diarra in his best position where his talent and leadership could be utilised and give Ba and JBG more time made a huge difference. I also to have to apologise on this site to Reza who I referred to as a mercenary, he played really well Saturday and although his goal looked simple he took it very well.

The team had energy, creativity and organisation I felt sorry for Sarr and his slip to that point he had played well and I believe benfited hugely from having Diarra in front of him. Big shout for young THD came on a did a good job at full back. If we can maintain that kind of level of performance then maybe things on the pitch are not so black. One decent performance is great but consistency is the key to how we struugle out of this situation. Also big congratulations to all in the protest it was conducted well and made the point excellently.
  • Options

As others have said having AD protecting the defence was important but having JBG in the hole was the biggest reason we won and won well I think.

JBG on the right is predictable and teams had worked him out but in the hole he was everywhere and the CB did not know weather to go with him or not or to mark him or not.

Its what I liked as well... In addition you didnt have Ba ... Diarra ... Jackson sticking to their positions, they kept constantly swapping so it made them difficult to mark and did well working together in surrounding a Wednesday player to get the ball back