Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Chef Wendy - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Old man Diarra knows his shit that's for sure, he was great in midfield
  • Options
    WE WON 3-1. Good job the boy is only 5 or our singing out of the ground by the Jimmy seed end of 'we won 3-1, we won 3-1, how rubbish must you be, it should have been 5' might have got us into trouble as there were a few hard ass fans close to the ground. Fair play to their support though on the train the ones we met were sound.
  • Options
    Good result. We picked a strong side and kept to a proper (and logical) formation. Sarr and Bauer looked good as centre backs. Our midfield was very sharp: if/when Kashi comes back playing him alongside Diarra, Jackson and Gudmundsson looks an exciting prospect. Very committed performance which may be down to the players hitting it off with the combination of Fraeye and Euell. Henderson had little to do - perhaps we forget that we missed him during most of the poor run. If he'd been there we'd maybe have picked up 3-4 more points along the way and wouldn't have ended up feeling so desperate. Both strikers were fine too - but no Watt? Not even on the subs bench? Mmmmm. The only criticism that occurs is that the team began to tire after 60 minutes, so maybe general fitness levels need to be raised a bit.

We're still in a relegation battle - but this was a step toward safety.
  • Options
    Just saw the highlights and JBGs movement was really noticeable that could be a great position for him going forward
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any sign of OP yet ?
  • Options
    Have to say, Reza looking sharp, and not just for his goal, but for our second as well.
  • Options

Any sign of OP yet ?

OP?
  • Options

Any sign of OP yet ?

OP?
    Operationpig

• Options
    Yipeeeeeeeeeee.
  • Options
    Still have the 'you're going down, you're going down' chant in my head but happy with 'you're losing 3-1, you're losing 3-1, so we'll see you next year, we'll see you next year.' How shit must you be we'll see you next year
  • Options
    Finally a manger who realises that its not the end of the world if Cousins doesn't play on the left !! lol

Its a shame, but we looked a better side without both Cousins & Watt, although I would still like to have Watt in the team (maybe replacing Reza)but Cousins will have to do really well to replace Ba, Diarra or even JJ.

Best game all season - even outdoing the Hull , QPR and Fulham matches.

Who needs the Frenchman ???
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I only saw the second half which means that I still haven't seen us win at home after missing the first two games and seeing a 1-1 draw today

...but it was all worth it for THD injuring their winger with skill alone

We won 3-1, you did see us win at home.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Today was such an improvement, I've been very critical of our play the last couple of months , but today we showed energy and a desire which we ain't had since the hull game , well done to all the lads , JBG playing through the middle was great he looked like he enjoyed the role , also picked up a nice few quid Jacko 1st goal and the result wish I done a double though , let's hope for more of the same in the next game .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good highlights, seems as though we battered them.

Lookman looks to have a hell of a lot of confidence but will be disappointed that he didn't get his head up and notice that Johann was free. At 3-1, he can be let off the hook for that one.
  • Options
    Great performance today, the formation seemed to help out everyone which was positive. So Fraye and Euell definitely deserve credit for changing it up.

Lookman looked a talent when he came on. Reza was also an effective partner for Mak. Lot's of positives to take from today.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

PWR

One of my first thoughts is for Redmidland with whom I have to often suffer the match threads, although I get the respite going to the Valley he steadfastly does them all, and I'm glad he had today.

if anybody can honestly say they saw that coming they must not be a mere mortal like the rest of us. I don't believe any Charlton Athletic player was less than good today, and a few considerably better.
    However Sheffield Wednesday were remarkably tame, maybe our pre match doom and gloom had got to their players and fans because they were not at the races, their goal was after a slip (more later) from Saar, but I don't believe I can remember any other on target effort from them for the whole game. Are we their bogey side or something?

The structure of the team was refreshed, with Ba more right, JBG more central, and especially Diarra in midfield. In a good performance Diarra was very very good indeed, I wish we could shave ten years off his age as with Jacko too. What is there to say about Jacko that hasn't already been said hundreds of times already? Jacko is the guy who can do it so often when it matters. His goal was a combination of both raw power and willpower from a great corner by JBG, just like the Fulham goal except the corner came from the other side. A stunning goal when you think about what has happened up to today's match.
    Good work on the left from Reza, who like Ba had his best ever game for us, let to an easy tuck away from Mackie. Mackie set up Fox to set up Reza for the third, which was a good strikers/poachers goal.
    Amazingly Reza stayed on his feet for long periods of the game, and cut down on pointing hither and thither, he was the Reza of the Iran World Cup, and contributed well, including in the air.
    Saar is rapidly improving, Bauer like this is easy to take for granted, THD had to come on unexpectedly for Solly (wasn't that foul by Solly handy as he was trudging off?) and THD was very very good...also his best game for us so far. Hendo had little to do, JBG slammed the bar with a good free kick, and we may not have been the better team but we absolutely deserved to win if that makes some kind of sense.

Nice moment when Fox secretly told the ball boy to slow it down, and the ref only added 4 minutes which was good. I would like to add that the players need to sort out their stud choices because too many of them slip too much.

Following Charlton Athletic is never routine (how I would KILL for routine mid table right now), but one swallow and all that. We have a long long way to go, but if we play teams with the attitude of Sheffield Wednesday every week we have a chance.

Very good summary & I agree with it all, apart from "we may not have been the better team".

We were miles better & The Massives were very lucky with 3-1. We were easily 3 or 4 goals better.
  • Options
    Didn't see that coming today. Much improved tactics and motivation of the team. Full credit to KF, JE and JJ
    Still need to be convinced the owner wants us to be a serious team and still need KM to be sacked for total incompetence
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Went to the game in hope more than anything, the result was important, but seemed secondary to what's going on at the club at the moment.

I went into the bookies and asked what the odds were on Charlton losing by 3 or more goals.

Was stunned to find out we were evens! We were 40-1 for a 3 nil Charlton win, and 16-1 for a 3 nil Wednesday win.

Anyhow enough about bookies, well done to the players for putting in a shift and not letting things get to them.

Well done to Jacko, digging us out of a hole again, fully deserved 3 points, could really have done without the international break.

Need to keep up the Intensity of protest and player performance after the break, we've played better than today and not won this season, I just hope it was not a flash in the pan.
  • Options
    Much better performance, although I couldn't believe how bad Sheff Wed were.

The average age of our bench players must have been about 14! This is still a perilously thin team that needs a lot of reinforcements in January. Not convinced RD will do anything but the bare minimum he can get away with to keep us in this division.
  • Options
    Playing Diarra in the holding midfield role was the key for me. It's the role Kashi played so well at the start of the season and we've missed so obviously during this terrible run. It provides protection to the defence and allows a more central midfield three in front denying space for the oppo to expose.
  • Options
    KF's post match thoughts:

Sky Sports Report