Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Chef Wendy - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Battling performance
    Diarra one minute looked like Patrick Veira the next minute Patrick Cox
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    What a difference between that and the last home game. Reza and Big Mak looked liked they had been playing together a lot longer than the few games they have had and Gudmunsons free role caused lots of problems for the Wendy back four. Diarra owned that midfield which meant JJ didn't have to do as much running. Ba has the look of Yaya Toure when on the ball with a nice turn of pace and just when you think he has over run it he manages to squeeze off a pass although he does have the odd moment where over complicating a move instead making a simple pass puts us on the back foot. Sarr and Baeur were solid at the back and THD looks composed on the ball and has pace. Fox still needs to work on hoofing it a lot of the time when there are better options ( I suppose it looks easier viewing from the top of the east stand! ) but made up for it with a lovely move into the box that led to Rezas goal. I'd forgotten about Henderson such was the paucity of Wendy attacks. Lookman looked very lively and if only he had looked up and seen Gudmunson in the box the scoreline would have looked even better. Big Mak should also have increased the scoreline instead of back heeling it to fresh air when he had the time to control and shoot. Only negative I have was the volleyball crap when the crowd kept hold of the ball. The ref made a point of stopping his watch so why bother? And what was that Wendy song all about? "We're on our way back, We're on our way back, we're Sheffield Wednesday, we're on our way back." On our way back to where? Sheffield? The nineties? Anyway well done to the away end for adding to the atmosphere. You can get 10 people chanting in the south stand and they sound loud.
  • Options
    Good performance but Wednesday offered NOTHING

If we can keep the level of intensity we showed for the first 60 minutes going we will be ok. Lack of depth is startling still and Sarr is a liability

I very much appreciated the space given to our skipper for the first, it helps he attacks the ball like he means it everytime in defence and attack
  • Options
    Carter said:

If we can keep the level of intensity we showed for the first 60 minutes going we will be ok. Lack of depth is startling still and Sarr is a liability

I very much appreciated the space given to our skipper for the first, it helps he attacks the ball like he means it everytime in defence and attack

Lol Sarr a liability , young man is getting better , had a great game yesterday so what the feck you on about Willis.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited November 2015
    Sarr's concentration will improve with match fitness. Key to the central defence was protection provided by Diarra. Playing a player in their best position works, who knew that would work ? Kashi needs to get fit to provide cover for Diarra as Diarra may not be able to play to that intensity two games a week. Very good to see a competitive and balanced midfield for a change.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can't believe it, Tuesday night to that, now to keep it up.
  • Options

I'm not sure where this leaves Aherne-Grant. Thought Reza showed us today that he actually has kicked a football before and Lookman came on a terrorised the Wednesday fullback. Mak had a great game too

It leaves Ahearne-Grant needing to work hard and improve, which is exactly how it should be for a young player. He's had far too much responsibility this season and having other players relieving the pressure will be good for him in the long run
    I'd like us to be in a position where we could let him out on loan at a League 1 club where he can build in his experience this season and come back stronger and more confident
  • Options

Carter said:

Lol Sarr a liability , young man is getting better , had a great game yesterday so what the feck you on about Willis.
    It's where he's starting from. He's an athletic looking guy which seems more and more the key necessity rather than being a competent footballer. He installs no faith whatsoever, he looks very uncomfortable challenging for anything and on the ball is incredibly poor.

Game is about opinions of course and mine is that I don't think Sarr is any good. He ain't a centre-half as long as he's got a hole in his arse
  • Options

Carter said:

Had a great game except for costing us a goal. He needs to cut ridiculous mistakes like that out as he's clearly got potential. A mistake like that in a closer game though would have been disastrous
  • Options
    Wow where did that come from. A team million times better with Diarra in midfield. We finally played quick attacking football and never let them settle. Hopefully this gives us the confidence to kick on and at least try and hold out till January. Not that I'm expecting much signings.

Special shout out to Jacko today who was immense in the middle and fought for every ball.

Another injury but hopefully we can get Solly and a few others back during the dreaded international break. The last two haven't been any good lets hope this one changes our fortunes.

Well done Cafc. Nice to a experience a winning feeling again.
  • Options
    Didn't go but having watched the highlights it's so nice to see us a) scoring and b) how good were those goals?? Lovely team play
  • Options
    First time I've seen the team this season due to rugby commitments, I was apprehensive in coming to the game for obvious reasons. However I was pleasantly surprised with how we played, diarra was different class and ensured every ball in the middle was won by us. The passion was evident from every player, they clearly buy into the fight this season. From what I saw of the protest it seemed peaceful and respectable whilst showing how much the club means to everyone. So overall very good performance and hopefully this will turn things around.
  • Options
    Well, the game didn't go as I expected and I was very pleased at that. Well worked movement from our forwards, challenging and battling in midfield and committed defence are all things I'd forgotten we could do. Loved the lino telling the ballboys to hurry up. Nearly didn't go but family issues kept me in London and I decided to rock up to the protest and then take my seat. Glad I did.
    Credit to KF/JE for setting the team up. Wednesday looked poor, but TBH so did Fulham, Brentford and Preston. After our bright start, I was dreading them getting the first goal and heads dropping. Thanks to JJ it didn't happen. No one had a bad game in a red shirt IMO, special mention to Diarra, JJ, JBG, Mak and Reza.
    There are still serious underlying issues at the club that one good win won't change. After all, haven't we been here before?
  • Options
    After Tuesday's performance at Milton Keynes, I was left wondering how we could get a win in the foreseeable future.

Cousins and Watt out injured, along with Kashi and others you had to ask how a corner could be turned.

Perhaps that was the question the management team asked themselves. The result a 4-3-3 line up, Diarra in midfield, JBG behind the front two, etc. Inspired team selection and formation with the players available, drilling in training, mental conditioning etc. That was down to the management team not just JE but his influence was probably considerable. BUT KF as manger would surely have the final call. Now what we hope for is momentum, players returning from injury over the next two weeks could bode well.

COYRS
  • Options
    For me, apart from the obvious spirit and determination throughout the team, two things for me brought us the win. First moving Diarra into midfield, he was different class today. Secondly, some one I am guessing Jason Eull had moulded Big Mak, Johann, and Reza into a formidable frot three, resulting in two brilliantly created goals. At last we saw strikers arriving in front of goal at the right time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If only we had played like that on Tuesday, then we'd already be comfortably out of the bottom 3...
  • Options
    As others have said, the diamond formation worked an absolute treat and Wednesday found it impossible to live with us. Diarra was a colossus in midfield - I lost count of the number of times he won possession in the first half - and JBG was back to his inventive best. There was a good performance wherever you looked and everything was underpinned by a level of commitment and intensity that we haven't seen for some time. When you see Reza combining good movement and football intelligence with a tenacious harrying of the opposition, you know you're on to a winner.

We had a few pre-match and pre-protest pints with a Wednesday supporting mate in the Dog & Bell in Deptford. His view was that, as they were on a run of 11 games without defeat and we hadn't won in 11, there was every chance that we'd turn them over. I thought he was talking nonsense but shall give his predictions more credence in future !

A long, long way to go but at least we how have some hope.
  • Options
    I'm quite surprised by how well the formation worked to be honest, in the first 30 (despite our dominance) I was a bit worried we were toothless up front. Despite having 3 men up top, it felt more like one - with Reza and Gudmundsson still getting pulled out wide leaving Makienok alone in the box. In essence leaving us with something akin to a back 4-5-1 with Reza and Gudmundsson playing as wingers.

There were a few times when the box looked empty of red shirts, and I felt that when we played to a lower tempo and tried to pass the ball around in their half it didn't look like we'd be able to break them down.

That's not to be overly negative though, because it did work. It's worth noting that our two goals from open play both came from very neat football, nice passes and a fast tempo. Wednesday weren't able to cope with that, and I think it made the most of Reza and Gudmundsson - that play seems to suit them, and it's worth noting how composed Johann is even when he's close/in between opponents. Makienok also showed he was more than just a big lump, although he's very good with the ball to his head (unsurprisingly!) he's also very good playing a passing game.

All three of the front line deserve a good 8/10 in my mind - brilliant performances and good to see both strikers on the scoreline, although Gudmundsson's free kick and positioning in the second half should've got him on there too.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but Solly's tackle to break up play when he needed to go off had me in stitches. The fact the referee appeared to want to give him a card shows just how unaware the ref was to what was going on. Hopefully we'll see him back very soon... although, if we don't then THD has showed himself to be a very worthy back-up.
  • Options

I'm not sure where this leaves Aherne-Grant. Thought Reza showed us today that he actually has kicked a football before and Lookman came on a terrorised the Wednesday fullback. Mak had a great game too

TBH KAH should really be spending this season out on loan in Div 1 learning his trade at a level which he will find more comfortable rather like the Pig.
  • Options
    I was beginning to forget what winning felt like. There seemed to a lot more pace today, Reza was a real nuisance to them throughout in particular. Diarra was immense, Jacko led by example, and the crowd got behind them - after the stuff (quite rightly) flying about this week my worry was it could be slung in the wrong direction but that didn't happen.

It felt like one of those days like vs QPR and Hull when we didn't read the script and got into them from the start. In some recent games we've looked like we were running through treacle we looked much sharper this time.
  • Options
    Fill your boots for the next week Ibi and Simon,

Then Stop !