Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sunday Times picks up the RD story

edited November 2015 in General Charlton
A decent article by Rod Liddle today with surprisingly little Millwall bias.
If anybody has a subscription,could they copy and paste the text.

Comments

• Decent, considering its Liddle, apart from that paragraph. “Charltonification” isn't what he suggests, is it? Helpful, on balance.
  • Least it's getting the coverage now, hopefully this will make him sell up and do one or change his ways.
  • Brilliant piece. Be nice to have some Lions at the next two home games to help with the solution.
  • What with this article and the one in today's 'Football League' paper, perhaps the pressure will start to mount on 'The Hapless One'
  • "For our part, we view them (Charlton supporters) as “trainspotters” or “anoraks” allowed to turn up and watch their team each week only because Operation Yewtree has a lot of work on its hands"

?
  • Ball is rolling.
  • Sponsored links:

• I actually think it's a pretty poor article, although all publicity is welcome - especially from a national paper.
  • A very good piece. How many of us, hand on heart, would not gloat if the boot was on the other foot. I suspect we certainly would not resist more than two pars of contextual gloating. It's the most balanced and (for us) revealing piece in the media so far. And he has certainly put RD's flawed and destructive network into perspective.
  • Good article from Liddle ... he does some good stuff occasionally
  • Is he calling us pedo's or am I missing something?
  • mogodon said:

Is he calling us pedo's or am I missing something?

No more than we call Ipswich and Norrwich sheepshaggers. Don't ignore the 99% positive from this article.
    precisely
  • mogodon said:

Is he calling us pedo's or am I missing something?

No more than we call Ipswich and Norrwich sheepshaggers. Don't ignore the 99% positive from this article.
    So he is calling us pedo's?
  • Is he calling us pedo's or am I missing something?

Yeah I got that message too. Strange especially from a top tier journalist piece.
  • se9addick said:

"For our part, we view them (Charlton supporters) as “trainspotters” or “anoraks” allowed to turn up and watch their team each week only because Operation Yewtree has a lot of work on its hands"

?

I can agree with most of it, however the Yewtree comment is well out of order. Whoever edits his work, should take a long look at themselves.
    Really lowers the tone I feel. Anorak/ trainspotter blah blah banter.

Jimmy Saville types is well out of order and makes the whole article crap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Well it's fans that call their close rivals insulting names. Not national newspaper journalists. If he (Liddle) wants to learn to write about sport in an informative, knowledgable and amusing way then he could do a lot worse than dig out some of Kevin Nolans work.

If you read Liddle regularly, on any subject, then you will know this is his style. You and I may not like it, but it makes him one of the better-paid journalists.
  • mogodon said:

Come on. We have been endlessly moaning the mainstream press have ignored our situation and when a main paper does - and a Millwall fan as well - and writes an overwhelmingly excellent piece, all we can do is concentrate on one throwaway comment. If any one of us had written about Millwall being taken over by a third-rate, senile Belgian who is killing the club, would we be half as objective and manage to resist a dig or two?

Ok, thanks Rod.
  • Momentum building! On with the boycott!
  • edited November 2015
    He's also never heard of the Watford/Udinese/Granada network it seems. Seems to be working out okay for the Hornets at the moment Rod it's just that our network is full of crap players/managers!

But on the whole, ridiculous paedo name calling aside, a decent piece.