Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"Roland Duchatelet demands success but Charlton bosses haven't had the tools needed for the job"

Comments

• Options
    Inb4 SLP are banned from the club for 6 months...
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

shirty5 said:

If you get banned (which we would be never surprise me), hopefully someone else can take on the baton.

They can't ban him/The SLP from writing about us. They might ban the SLP from attending home matches, they might stop giving Cawley the inside line on our next inept signing. I reckon articles campaigning against the shambolic running of the club will attract a lot more readers and web hits than articles about the signing of Christophe Lepoint or our ficticious interest in Chris O'Grady, Max Gradel, etc, etc.

Excellent article, hoping for plenty more of the same.
    Agree, but then can ban access to the club in any official capacity, access to players and any official function, and then ban the individual concerned from the ground. That won't stop him writing, of course, but it makes good, balanced journalism a little hard!
  • Options
    Proppa bit of journo that! Thank you Richard.
  • Options
    Well done Richard Cawley and the SLP.

How can we get this picked up as a topic by a national journo, to step up the pressure on the Belgian circus?
  • Options
    great article which says it exactly how I think most CAFC feel at the moment.

• Options
    Home truths ! Won't be popular in Waffleland but well done Richard Cawley.
  • Options
    The tool in the club is RD himself!!
  • Options
    Excellent article. Well done Rich Cawley
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Davo55 said:

How can we get this picked up as a topic by a national journo, to step up the pressure on the Belgian circus?

No better or more timely opportunity than the Trust AGM

Owen Gibson , chief sports correspondent of the Guardian,, and SE7 resident, is special guest at the Trust AGM on Thursday, and has said he'd like to stay on for the discussion on the Meltdown.

I can't make it on Thursday I'm afraid but that's excellent news. A serious opportunity to get this into mainstream media.
  • Options

Davo55 said:

No better or more timely opportunity than the Trust AGM

Owen Gibson , chief sports correspondent of the Guardian,, and SE7 resident, is special guest at the Trust AGM on Thursday, and has said he'd like to stay on for the discussion on the Meltdown.

I can't make it on Thursday I'm afraid but that's excellent news. A serious opportunity to get this into mainstream media.
    Don't expect a spread Friday morning, but Owen is a very smart journalist, and football governance is a special interest of his. And whatever you think of the Guardian, it has been a friend of Charlton fans since 1986, when it ran an editorial deploring the move to Selhurst.
  • Options
    Have to disagree with the premise of this article. I think RD has provided adequate tools but seems to repeatedly make the mistake of employing coaches who have minimal experience and no track record of success. Bit like his approach to employing CEOs.
  • Options

Have to disagree with the premise of this article. I think RD has provided adequate tools but seems to repeatedly make the mistake of employing coaches who have minimal experience and no track record of success. Bit like his approach to employing CEOs.

Agree up to a point. The tools he provides are bare minimum.

• Options
    I've been saying it all season you lose the midfield battle you lose the game, I rather see us win the ball in midfield and counter then sit back and hoof it to our 2 strikers.

• Options
    Not sure if he posts on here at all, but thank you Richard Cawley.
  • Options

Based on the matches I saw early in the season I concluded that some very good players had been added to the squad. The declining performances are down to several factors including injuries and form. But, in my opinion, the main factor is increasing impact of the manager's ideas, training, man management, team building/bonding, tactical preparation and in-match tactical response and execution.

In the early part of the season I saw good players with natural ability who have had years of good quality experienced coaching from an early age playing some good football. Luzon had no impact on those early performances. Recent performances reflect his growing impact. It is all very similar to what happened with Peters.

You can buy the best tools in the world but if you don't also employ experienced technicians who know how to use those tools then you will not get the results you are expecting.

That's possibly the most sensible post you've ever written.

• Options

Adequate means sufficient which he has not done
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Absolute joke that we've averaged a new manager every twenty four games. I wonder what the LMA think about that.

Good article that needed putting out into a wider domain. Hats off Mr Cawley.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Fair play to Richard Cawley because he often gives a good insight to what is happening at Charlton and he has a valid opinion. He raises some good questions in that article. Here's some questions to add....

Hasn't Jackson got enough on his plate just trying to get fit and to make an impact in midfield? Could give him a heart attack if he had to manage as well.

Interesting Euell shout. But maybe he's doing too good a job with the young lads to be moved?

Keith Peacock.....experienced, great bloke, fine servant, seen all the games but too old? I know he's Charlton to the core (with a bit of Gillingham thrown in) but does he need the agg at his time of life? He's 70 years old after all.

Are we saying that 4-5-1 at home is now the way to go? Don't get me wrong, I can see the merits (with the right players) but previous managers have been hammered for using that system at home....especially against "clubs like Brentford"

4-2-3-1. Two defensive midfielders, Three attacking midfielders & a CF. When the opposition have the ball, the three attacking midfielders drop back to positions behind the ball. When we have the ball, the two holding players sit and back up the play, allowing the FB's to overlap.

We are stuck in 4-4-2 land. Both Wide midfielders allowed the opposition full backs to overload our full backs 2v1 on Saturday, and the free Brentford central midfielder (Diagougora?)had time and space to play through Cousins & Jacko in the central areas. Brentford knew what we would do and picked our system apart. Moussa was so poor in his positional play on the left, he left Fox totally exposed. If I was Fox, I'd have given him a clump for not doing his job properly.
  • Options

Based on the matches I saw early in the season I concluded that some very good players had been added to the squad. The declining performances are down to several factors including injuries and form. But, in my opinion, the main factor is increasing impact of the manager's ideas, training, man management, team building/bonding, tactical preparation and in-match tactical response and execution.

In the early part of the season I saw good players with natural ability who have had years of good quality experienced coaching from an early age playing some good football. Luzon had no impact on those early performances. Recent performances reflect his growing impact. It is all very similar to what happened with Peters.

You can buy the best tools in the world but if you don't also employ experienced technicians who know how to use those tools then you will not get the results you are expecting.

I agree with what you say in the main. But, injuries happen, it's up to the club to ensure they have adequate cover when the injuries come along. We have a good first eleven, but after that it all starts to look a bit desperate.
  • Options
    Katrien won't be happy with that. I thought Rich Cawley was her mouthpiece.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    AddickRam said:

I've been saying it all season you lose the midfield battle you lose the game, I rather see us win the ball in midfield and counter then sit back and hoof it to our 2 strikers.

I don't think I've ever seen a team just get over run in the middle of the park like we were against Preston, absolutely shocking.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Great article. Well done Mr Cawley.
    Another piece written by him which is also worth a read:
    Charlton favourite Paul Mortimer "stunned" by Karel Fraeye appointment
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited October 2015
    This is great from the SLP. The more of this the better and if it can get in the Nationals so much the better. The more that can be shown that RD is the villain here and people like Powell, Peeters and Luzon are the scapegoats the better. You can also include his Chief Executive lackey in here as well.

I do think we have a justifiable case against RD and KM who are showing they are unfit to hold the position. There must be safeguards against this.