Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

"Roland Duchatelet demands success but Charlton bosses haven't had the tools needed for the job"

edited October 2015 in General Charlton
Roland Duchatelet demands success but Charlton bosses haven't had the tools needed for the job
Tuesday, 27 October 2015 By Richard Cawley

So here we are again. Charlton seem to be a club caught in a vicious spin cycle in which the same plot - in essence - keeps getting played out.
Any new Addicks manager should make sure they take a cardboard box into their office to be ready for when they have to inevitably pack it.
Potted plants? Won’t be needing those. Photos of loved ones? Probably best just to keep them at home. And why is the company car only on a three-month lease?
Owner Roland Duchatelet has shown with five managers in 20 months that he doesn’t tolerate failure - but he also doesn’t give them enough tools needed for success.

Chris Powell was violently at odds with the tycoon’s model but waited to be sacked rather than walk - because he refused to quit on a club he cared so much about. He lasted six league games.
Jose Riga was a short-term fix - 16 Championship matches - before Bob Peeters came in. But when he was axed in January - managing 25 league games - the Belgian made it clear that a lack of depth to the side was highly instrumental in their struggles on the pitch.

Read more (It's worth it!)

Comments

• good article
  • Yep, has it pretty much spot on, especially in regards to tactics.
  • That's a great article.
  • Well done SLP, a good piece.
  • Yes, totally. The post should edited.
  • LoOkOuT said:

Yes, totally. The post should edited.

Admin should give it a promote to encourage more readers ; - )
  • Great piece think he has it spot on
  • Sponsored links:

• I must have missed it in the all furore but why is Greg Dyke there? In his role as FA Chairman.. bet he enjoyed the football feast.
  • Curb_It said:

I must have missed it in the all furore but why is Greg Dyke there? In his role as FA Chairman.. bet he enjoyed the football feast.

Brentford fan
  • Curb_It said:

I must have missed it in the all furore but why is Greg Dyke there? In his role as FA Chairman.. bet he enjoyed the football feast.

Former Brentford chairman & maybe to see his friend Lord Grade.
  • A coherent Piece with a delineation of CAFC.

Good work Richard Cawley.
  • edited October 2015
    LoOkOuT said:

LoOkOuT said:

Yes, totally. The post should edited.

Admin should give it a promote to encourage more readers ; - )
    You're right mate. Have a promote Louis.
    Really? Oh cheers!
  • Fair play to Richard Cawley because he often gives a good insight to what is happening at Charlton and he has a valid opinion. He raises some good questions in that article. Here's some questions to add....

Hasn't Jackson got enough on his plate just trying to get fit and to make an impact in midfield? Could give him a heart attack if he had to manage as well.

Interesting Euell shout. But maybe he's doing too good a job with the young lads to be moved?

Keith Peacock.....experienced, great bloke, fine servant, seen all the games but too old? I know he's Charlton to the core (with a bit of Gillingham thrown in) but does he need the agg at his time of life? He's 70 years old after all.

Are we saying that 4-5-1 at home is now the way to go? Don't get me wrong, I can see the merits (with the right players) but previous managers have been hammered for using that system at home....especially against "clubs like Brentford"

• Really good article
  • Sponsored links:

• The photo is great as well on that article. Meire is wondering what that smell is. Murray is looking up to the sky and the bloke in the row behind is checking his pulse to see if he's still with it.
  • I found this particularly disheartening:

At the same stage of last season the Addicks were seventh and had an extra 12 points than their current total. Their plight is critical and they now look less prepared than ever to overcome the substantial obstacles that lie ahead.
  • Really impressive article.
  • Great piece of work Richard Cawley, well done the SLP for publishing. We need more of this from other local papers, be nice if a national one would pick it up and run with it as well. RD/KM have lost their voices all of a sudden, I wonder why?
  • edited October 2015
    shirty5 said:

The photo is great as well on that article. Meire is wondering what that smell is. Murray is looking up to the sky and the bloke in the row behind is checking his pulse to see if he's still with it.

I don't think he is checking his pulse, I think he is stealthily sticking his two fingers up at KM
  • Great article. I know you are sticking your neck out here and it's much appreciated.

Keep asking those difficult questions please!
  • Nice piece. Thank you for sharing.
  • Very good article by Richard and it will be interesting to see what reception he gets at Sheffield Weds game.
  • Spot on article
  • Excellent article.