Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Options
    Feel sorry for Vettel having to put up with Ferrari listening to that comm on the radio!! - Cant seem to win whatever he does

And I've got no love for that team
  • Options
    Great job from Seb in the end...

Shame it took Ferrari to get on the same wave length as him in terms of strategy
  • Options
    Boring race though. Tracks where it is virtually impossible to overtake don't help the sport.
  • Options

Catalunya has delivered boring races every year since 2016 imo.

I fell asleep with 15 laps to go on Sunday.

• Options
    The problem is the current cars, not being able to follow through long, medium speed corners. Turns 3, 4 and 5 are all that at Catalunya, and then the final sector strings them out even further. They also do all preseason testing there so the teams have a huge amount of data resources for the circuit. Unfortunately Mugello is all medium speed corners too so we won't see good racing there, but I'm hoping Portimao is a good mix of no data and overtaking spots to make it more exciting
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    The problem is the current cars, not being able to follow through long, medium speed corners. Turns 3, 4 and 5 are all that at Catalunya, and then the final sector strings them out even further. They also do all preseason testing there so the teams have a huge amount of data resources for the circuit. Unfortunately Mugello is all medium speed corners too so we won't see good racing there, but I'm hoping Portimao is a good mix of no data and overtaking spots to make it more exciting
    Must say I have my doubts about Imola too , Portimao should produce some really good racing 
  • Options
    What a qualifying session from Hamilton, pole position by over half a second from Bottas. Absolutely faultless lap. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would say that Hamilton and Verstappen are on different levels. Hamilton has the better car, which he has earned. It is clear who is ready to take over from Hamilton, just as it is clear that Hamilton is going to break all the records before he leaves the sport. I think this World title should put him above Schumacher based on races won which Hamilton will achieve and also Schumacher stole one of his World Championships. I don't like to say it as he was a great racer.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    pickwick said:
    Hamilton is currently on a different level to all of them.

That is beyond doubt.
    There is a very strong argument building that he's also on a different level to any that have come before. I never thought that in my lifetime I would see a better racer than Ayrton, or a better technical driver than Schumacher.
    Lewis is also at the peak of his powers right now, he has never driven better, and if he stays focused then he will retire with double figure World Championships and will rightly be hailed as the GOAT.
    I agree with all of this except the double figures Championships bit. I can’t see him winning another 4 titles, no matter how good he is.
    In order for this to happen, he would need Mercedes to continue to be good enough to compete for the title for that period, (which is possible, but team dominance tends to go in cycles - and Mercedes’ streak of dominance is in its 7th year now) OR make another well timed decision to jump to the new dominant force. However, if a different team does become dominant, they’re more likely to plump for one of the younger talents we’ve previously discussed.
    Having said all that, you may be right Bob, he may well get 10 titles! If that happens, then nobody will be able to say he wasn’t the GOAT. 
    I think he already is.
  • Options
    I would say that Hamilton and Verstappen are on different levels. Hamilton has the better car, which he has earned. It is clear who is ready to take over from Hamilton, just as it is clear that Hamilton is going to break all the records before he leaves the sport. I think this World title should put him above Schumacher based on races won which Hamilton will achieve and also Schumacher stole one of his World Championships. I don't like to say it as he was a great racer.
    I presume you mean the '94 Championship when he took out Damon Hill in Australia?

Either way we've seen it plenty of times over the years, e.g. Aryton Senna against Alain Prost in Japan
  • Options
    Great response from Gasly over the radio when he overtook Perez
  • Options
    Which was ?
  • Options
    Just 2 race wins behind Schumachers record that was seen as a mark never to be beaten.

It will inevitably fall to Lewis this year, and coupled with a 7th title that is already in his grasp, that marks him as the greatest ever.

As mentioned - Schumachers dirty tactics (Hill, Villeneuve, parking it in Monaco qualy etc) - only serve to re-enforce this.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    MrOneLung said:
    Which was ?
    Went down the inside of Perez, barely anything between him and the pit wall, could easily have become a nasty crash

Didnt complain (as Perez had perhaps squeezed him over a bit too much) yet instead commented that was how you race
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Brutal from Kimi lol!... Is behind his team mate when he crashes - Straight on the team radio, isnt sending a message hoping he's okay...

Nope brief laugh and says: "Thats what he gets for pushing so hard, should have let me through"

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Vettel out in Q1 - Not happy with the Alfa Romeo's, although Raikkonen got lucky against Ocon!!
  • Options
    Been reminded today why this Qualifying Format is so great, need to watch it more often!!
  • Options
    “Formula 1 is boring”

😂😂
  • Options
    More races like that and the sport would have a lot more fans.
  • Options
    What a race, if Hamilton could get a 30 second penalty every race it would be a cracking watch!
  • Options
    Fantastic race. Hamilton finishes 7th but hardly any damage to his championship.
  • Options
    Really pleased for Gasly do like him as a driver

A little disappointed for Sainz after watching him in Drive to Survive last night but providing Ferrari sort themselves out its just delayed his win
  • Options
    Excellent win for Gasly. Terrific effort and result for Sainz too. 
    Stroll (who I’m not convinced is that good a driver, by the way) and Norris did good too.
    A shame Williams couldn’t get a point today.
    Not as disastrous a day for Hamilton, Verstappen or Bottas as it might seem, seeing as their bad results effectively cancelled each other out.
    Also, crashing both cars is a bad day, but Sky were talking like Ferrari’s chances of winning the race were ruined by those incidents, when in reality, they’re no more than also-rans at the moment.

Hamilton is obviously pissed off with his mistake, but it was a mistake and the penalty had to happen. No real harm done to his title bid in the end either, so maybe he should be relieved.
    I do understand his frustration - he was unlucky to be in the position he was in on the track when the pit lane was closed - if he’d been on the back straight, the team would’ve had more time to communicate to him that the pit lane was closed.
    I’ve often thought that there should be a bit more warning for drivers in these sorts of circumstances. At the speed and intensity they drive, their concentration on different coloured flags and lights must be difficult to stay on top of. You can imagine as you’re approaching the pits that you might think “wait, was that a red X?” and of course, then you’ve got to interpret it and you’re making snap decisions.
    It could be argued that the decision to close the pit lane when he was so close to it (and had already been told to pit) was a bit harsh, but rules are rules and you can’t delay a safety decision for racing reasons. He went through two red lights, there’s no denying that.
    I’m not making excuses for Hamilton at all - he messed up and ended up throwing the race away and can’t blame anyone else, but I thought he was (at least a little bit) a victim of circumstance.
  • Options
    They’ve now run the minimum number of races (8) for the winner to be classified as WC.
  • Options
    Maybe one different race each season should be designated where Qualifying result see the faster cars starting from the back

Today certainly showed that we could have different winners, and have plenty of over taking to go with it!!