Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    I think the Ferrari thing for Hamilton is a last hurrah, he'll be there for 2, 3 seasons maximum and then retire. Will give Ferrari ample time to blood either Bearman in the midfield or try to sign someone more long term

I'd be surprised if it was more than 2 seasons. I think he'll go and win a few races for Ferrari and then bow out for Bearman assuming it all goes okay for Ollie with Haas. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    sam3110 said:
    I think the Ferrari thing for Hamilton is a last hurrah, he'll be there for 2, 3 seasons maximum and then retire. Will give Ferrari ample time to blood either Bearman in the midfield or try to sign someone more long term

I'd be surprised if it was more than 2 seasons. I think he'll go and win a few races for Ferrari and then bow out for Bearman assuming it all goes okay for Ollie with Haas. 
    And don't forget the issue of money...he is rumoured to be getting $100m a year...I would think after 1-2 seasons he just might go and do his music/fashion things!
  • Options
    edited March 25
    Hamilton has had these mini slumps before and often come back stronger in the long run. Age has to catch up with him sometime, maybe this is the beginning of that, but I think it's a bit early to say.

In Hamilton, Ferrari are buying experience and someone who has proven they know how to win championships. I think his maturity now means he is unlikely to get into a situation again like happened with Alonso and Rosberg where intra-team rivalry became a distraction. That will complement Leclerc who is one of the younger crowd who is very fast but probably could stand to learn a few tricks from Hamilton on consistency and calmness under pressure.

Even if he isn't prime Hamiliton anymore, Alonso is showing 40+ year olds can still be fast and Hamilton certainly takes good care of himself. If Ferrari can build a fast enough car, he and Leclerc should be a very good driver partnership. I think Ferarri have also benefitted down the years, perhaps more than most teams, from having a strong personality as a lead driver to push professionalism and standards in the team.
  • Options
    I don't think that there's any evidence that Lewis has lost it. What he is suffering from is a lack of motivation. He has lost confidence in the ability of the Mercedes team to provide him with a championship challenging car. I think that is the reason why he has jumped ship to Ferrari, not the lure of driving in red.
  • Options
    Hasn’t Russell out qualified Hamilton in all 3 races so far this season?
  • Options
    Hasn’t Russell out qualified Hamilton in all 3 races so far this season?
    Doesn't really mean anything.
  • Options
    Pretty decent race today, the winner was never in doubt, but really good in terms of overall strategy.
  • Options
    Couldn't be bothered to get up early, so just watched the re-run on Sky. Race made more interesting by the different tyre strategies but winner never in doubt, unfortunately.
  • Options
    Prema Racing look to be dipping their toes into IndyCar from next season

Going to be some good opportunities for F2 Drivers not good enough for Formula One... Whilst you'd expect them to do better over the pond compared with what Carlin attempted
  • Options
    Prema Racing look to be dipping their toes into IndyCar from next season

Going to be some good opportunities for F2 Drivers not good enough for Formula One... Whilst you'd expect them to do better over the pond compared with what Carlin attempted

Sounds like they're way more aware of the pitfalls than the Carlin effort was, running it out of Indianapolis itself is a good start as well as a recognition that they need Indycar veteran staff and an experienced driver to lead the team alongside a rookie. Will be interesting to see who the rookie is - the obvious names are probably Vesti, Sargeant and Shwartzman as drivers with links to Prema.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Alonso has signed a new multi-year Contract with Aston Martin...
  • Options
    Alonso has signed a new multi-year Contract with Aston Martin...
    Clearly Mercedes and Red Bull didn't offer him anything, as realistically they're the only 2 seats up for grabs that are an improvement on what he has.

Will be interesting if either take on a stop gap or if they hand a seat to a rookie next season
  • Options
    Still think Wolff and Merc are going all in on Verstappen 
  • Options
    I really wont be surprised if Antonelli gets promoted for 2025, straight into the Merc
  • Options
    I think they'll definitely make an attempt for Max but ultimately I think it's going to be Antonelli. With the testing programme they've got in place for him before he turns 18 in August I think they're just making sure.

Now where this leaves Williams I don't know , obviously Sargeant is going and none of their own juniors are going to be ready (I rate Luke Browning the most of their juniors but he's a 2026 move) do they look at someone like a Zhou as a safe pair of hands if Sainz does go to Sauber? I can't see Alpine lending them Jack Doohan or Victor Martins or Sauber lending them Pourchaire ( I think Bottas perhaps has one more season before he decides to retire and go cycling) 
  • Options
    My completely wild predictions based on the current market and teams:

Ferrari: Leclerc & Hamilton
    Red Bull: Verstappen & Sainz
    McLaren: Norris & Piastri
    Mercedes: Russell & Antonelli
    Aston Martin: Alonso & Stroll
    Alpine: Gasly & Ocon
    Sauber: Hulkenberg & Pourchaire
    Haas: Magnussen & Bearman
    Williams: Albon & Zhou/Bottas
    VCARB: Tsunoda & Lawson

That means Perez, Danny Ric, Sergeant and one of Zhou/Bottas losing their seat, as Sauber bring in Hulk (Audi are a long term admirer of him) and pair him with their junior driver, after missing out on Sainz who rejoins the Red Bull family. Antonelli is thrust into the main Merc team whilst Ferrari blood Bearman through Haas, who retain Magnussen for continuity. Lawson is the latest RB Junior to make a permanent step up into F1, making it 4 new rookies on the grid as teams hope to get them up to speed before the next big change in 2026. Williams sign one of the Sauber boys to go with Albon, either choosing experience in Bottas or money in Zhou.
  • Options
    saw a report on twitter saying ocon and gasly are likely to leave alpine. It seems a bit of a mess there . Renault really need to step in and take control again. 
  • Options
    Wouldn't be surprised if Renault decide to pack it in and sell their spot to Andretti. Last on the grid with both car and engine 
  • Options
    saw a report on twitter saying ocon and gasly are likely to leave alpine. It seems a bit of a mess there . Renault really need to step in and take control again. 
    I don't think Doohan is up to being an F1 driver based on results so far, so will be interesting to see what happens there if that's the case. Schumi Jr is in their WEC car this season, maybe he gets a second chance? Or like you say they sell up and Andretti fill the gap. 

Andretti also still linked with buying VCARB and also still trying to get their own spot anyway, I'll be amazed if they aren't on the grid in some way soon. 

Interesting that Prema have decided on an IndyCar progrem
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    I don't think Doohan is up to being an F1 driver based on results so far, so will be interesting to see what happens there if that's the case. Schumi Jr is in their WEC car this season, maybe he gets a second chance? Or like you say they sell up and Andretti fill the gap. 

Andretti also still linked with buying VCARB and also still trying to get their own spot anyway, I'll be amazed if they aren't on the grid in some way soon. 

Interesting that Prema have decided on an IndyCar progrem
    Andretti will get in at some point they have to. Renault still control alpine so unless they let Andretti in but still want a say who knows. This report said mick could be the choice to replace one of them . Which I think is fair as we know what he can do. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As you say on doohan he wasn’t spectacular in f2. I don’t see him with a drive in f1 unless something happens .
  • Options
    If Mick Schumacher wasn’t called Schumacher there is no way we would be discussing him in line with any seat. So much dodgy-ness went on with his engines in F3. He never won titles first year up in junior formulae like the Hamiltons, Russell’s, Norris’ and Leclercs of this world.

And in karting (the true barometer of talent from a young age), he got all the best engines and equipment. And still didn’t do a lot compared to most of the other F1 drivers.

• Options
    If Mick Schumacher wasn’t called Schumacher there is no way we would be discussing him in line with any seat. So much dodgy-ness went on with his engines in F3. He never won titles first year up in junior formulae like the Hamiltons, Russell’s, Norris’ and Leclercs of this world.

And in karting (the true barometer of talent from a young age), he got all the best engines and equipment. And still didn’t do a lot compared to most of the other F1 drivers.

F2 champion and smashed magnusson in head to heads despite having Steiner massively against him. Was the quickest out of all the alpine drivers in the last wec race. There is potential there
  • Options
    Doohan is an interesting one. I think he's talented but he's not a can't miss talent. I think Alpine would take Victor Martins over him if it came down to it. 

I just hope he doesn't try and do a Drugovich and turn down every non F1 opportunity he gets on the miniscule chance he gets an F1 opportunity and just spends ages sat in the Alpine garage or doing media work. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Doohan is an interesting one. I think he's talented but he's not a can't miss talent. I think Alpine would take Victor Martins over him if it came down to it. 

I just hope he doesn't try and do a Drugovich and turn down every non F1 opportunity he gets on the miniscule chance he gets an F1 opportunity and just spends ages sat in the Alpine garage or doing media work. 
    Exactly this. Drivers who are waiting for a race seat should be looking to do WEC or another European based series to keep busy. Indy is career suicide and you rarely see someone switch to f1 after a stint there. 
  • Options
    Sprint qualifying starts at 8.30. Stroll to continue dominating after FP1
  • Options
    Sprint qualifying starts at 8.30. Stroll to continue dominating after FP1
    Will be watching this one a bit later, seeing they've stuck it right as I'll be stepping out the door for the School Run
  • Options
    Wow... What a Sprint Quali session... Really needs to rain all weekend now
  • Options
    Wow wow wow what a session. I don't think I've ever seen someone's time reinstated. 
  • Options
    Fun session, shame the sprint race starts so early