Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

****Luzon Sacked (and Damian Matthew and David Martane)****

Comments

• We've let a very good manager go
  • se9addick said:

Guy has our full support, for sure. He has been unlucky with injuries. I spoke to Guy over the weekend and told him not to worry – that he is not under any pressure…Last year I knew what was wrong. This time the answer needs to come from the players - I’m sure it will. I have a really good relationship with Guy and it is wrong to go against that.”

So, either she's a liar or she's incompetent (or the world has changed in the last five days).

Ruthless without scruples or honesty. Like her boss . I feel really sorry for anyone who ends up "managing" our club with the "support" skills and knowledge of these two.
  • We've let a very good manager go

Which?!
  • IAgree said:

We've let a very good manager go

Which?!
    Guy Luzon, the manager we just sacked.
  • IAgree said:

We've let a very good manager go

Which?!
    Guy Luzon, the manager we just sacked.
    Nope, wrong answer, Damien Matthew is a bigger loss to the club long term.
  • Does the fact that Katrien has fired not only Luzon but the whole coaching team mean that someone with an established coaching (say Malky) is coming in ?

Please God, not Malky, not at our club, please.
  • edited October 2015

So he wasn't our Sir Alex Ferguson after all - who'd have thought it?

Well neither of them are managing a team at the moment
  • edited October 2015
    Like I thought! Another ploy to ease the attention from the real problem RD and KM. We will see when the next man has his own transfer targets rejected.
  • Sponsored links:

• We are fast becoming a joke of a club......4 managers in 20 months gone, who knows who's coming in next, but unless RD/KM change their stance and give the new person the right to recruit their choice of players, we will indeed be in League 1 come May. As I've said on another post, no good having a nice pitch, seats and training facilities, if we don't have the crowds and quality players who can play, where is the common sense for gods sake??
  • We are fast becoming a joke of a club......4 managers in 20 months gone, who knows who's coming in next, but unless RD/KM change their stance and give the new person the right to recruit their choice of players, we will indeed be in League 1 come May. As I've said on another post, no good having a nice pitch, seats and training facilities, if we don't have the crowds and quality players who can play, where is the common sense for gods sake??

good post .. let's hope that the penny has fully dropped in Duchatelet's slot and he'll appoint a BRITISH management team and allow them to MANAGE and sign who they'd like, within the club's financial limits.
    Despite recent results, our early season form indicates that the squad has promise. The decision to sack Luzon is not too late for a new manager/team to rescue our season
  • se9addick said:

Guy has our full support, for sure. He has been unlucky with injuries. I spoke to Guy over the weekend and told him not to worry – that he is not under any pressure…Last year I knew what was wrong. This time the answer needs to come from the players - I’m sure it will. I have a really good relationship with Guy and it is wrong to go against that.”

So, either she's a liar or she's incompetent (or the world has changed in the last five days).

Two 3-0 home defeats do change the situation somewhat.
  • colin1961 said:

And the reason he signed an 18 month contract because his contract would end the same time as pur planned next manager that was the Belgium national boss who was planned to join us after the euros ...now don't be surprised if we get a boss only till end of the season like Riga old assistant KF

I won't be at all surprised, as it was all but confirmed last night and further backed up by a journalist or two this morning. Good scoop though
  • What about Justin Edinburgh ? - doing a good job at Gillingham.

Too British.

I honestly think he'd rather stay at Gillingham right now.
  • I don't see the point in replacing him with Fraeye at all. What a waste of time.

I don't think Luzon is poor. I think he was let down. There's no point in replacing him unless we are going to back the replacement financially.
  • *which they won't. Or they'd have backed Luzon financially.
  • Sponsored links:

• I just want a good man manager even if he is from the network.
  • I'll wager part of the new management team is already employed by the club, I believe the owner and his sidekick will try to calm any unrest in the stands by putting a certain Mr Jackson alongside any new appointment. 50p anyone?
  • edited October 2015
    The Charlton twitter have put out a couple of Quotes from the departing Luzon:

Luzon: "It was a big pleasure to be part of this club."

"The players, the fans & the staff were unbelievable, especially the fans. They were amazing when we won & also in the bad times."

"Charlton will always have a big place in my heart. I will continue to follow the club and I wish them all the best."
  • se9addick said:

She's both (allegedly).
  • colin1961 said:

And the reason he signed an 18 month contract because his contract would end the same time as pur planned next manager that was the Belgium national boss who was planned to join us after the euros ...now don't be surprised if we get a boss only till end of the season like Riga old assistant KF

I won't be at all surprised, as it was all but confirmed last night and further backed up by a journalist or two this morning. Good scoop though
    Hang on, I might have lost the thread a bit - are we talking Luzon here? He was already employed by RD with 18 months of his contract to run because whilst being removed from his role at Liege he wasn't actually sacked. That's why he was a cheap free option for Charlton boss when Peeters went.

I would be utterly astonished if Marc Wilmots ever remotely considered managing Charlton.
  • colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

I wish this country didn't have this huge obsession over football managers. It's a huge problem in footballing culture. Fact is a manager has relatively little impact over how a club fairs. Most important thing when it comes down to it is money. Clubs who spend do well, those who don't struggle.

I'm willing to argue this with people but enough studies have been done and we all know enough anecdotal evidence to back it up. Clough wasn't some sort of managerial god but he was able to influence owners into spending money they didn't want to.

Unfortunately we aren't a rich club. We can all blame Roland for not spending enough but none of us really know how much he has or is willing to spend. As long as this goes on the managerial merry go round will continue regardless of who is appointed.

100% disagree. The manager is the most important asset a club has.

Why?
    Good managers bring success because they get more out of of a squad than the sum of its parts. Curbishley is the obvious example. They don't always go on to do the same elsewhere. Fitting the club is also important. The really great managers seem to reproduce the trick everywhere they go. Get the manager right and you have a great chance of success.

I agree with you but it's far from the most important asset a club has. Is Pellegrini more important than Mansour, is Mourinho more important than Abramovich?

I agree that getting fit is important. As much as I disagree with the stock placed in a manager that isn't the general consensus of most fans. Get the wrong man and the fans are automatically harder to win over leading to lack of support, abuse being thrown and generally a toxic atmosphere when things go wrong. Same goes for the players.

My point is that unless money is spent then a club will struggle. It's a harsh fact of football but it's a true one wherever you look around the world. Of course clubs can sometimes have an abnormal season and finish higher (or lower) than they should but then is a very strong correlation between expenditure and where a club finishes. We are one of the lowest spenders in the league and that's just the way it is.

Yes, a manager has an impact, good or bad that is undeniable but it's nowhere near as important as money spent. Say we could get any manager in the world, would it make us into a promotion chasing team? I doubt it.
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news but according to the programme, M.Duchatelet has injected £21m in 20 months. That's £3m more than the previous board loaned to CAFC over three years.

There is indeed a high correlation between player wage budgets and where a club finishes. Despite that £21m we have remained a bottom six club on player budgets.

That £21m includes £8.6m on players although Gudmundsson was free! I don't know why we didn't sign Bulot nor why we pushed Wiggins (and Morrison) out of the club, but what we saw today on the left side of our team was absolutely shocking.

I've just posted on another thread that we would be in a better place if RD had left Slater, Jiminez and Prothero in situ on the board and given them the cash injection.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea that there's a majority shareholder who can afford the losses and investment required. I'm just confused as to why he puts muppets in charge of his investment.

Whoever put the budgets together this season should have challenged the owner and stated plain and simple that player budgets need to rise significantly just to stand still.

If RD wants to achieve something or just bail out and get SOME of his money back then he needs the right leadership and the correct budgets.
    Nope, that £8.6m includes the fees received for Gomez, Kermorgant, Stephens, Poyet and Wiggins - you've fallen for the spin.
    Can anyone scan the relevant page in the programme and post it - I don't buy the programme and would love to read the article.
  • In regards to what Katrien said about Luzon last week she clearly does not have the verbal skill to judge the situation accordingly. Could easily just say something like this:

"Results and performances have not been going well of late and it's been dissapointing for everyone involved including myself. We have a good working relationship with the manager and believe he can turn it around as quickly as we all hope. We would like Luzon to remain as manager"

That's all you have to say without being a twat. That little speech backs him but does not rule out possibility of him inevitably getting sacked if the 2 up coming home games turned to shit. Which they did with flying colours.

Surely she would know that a possible sacking was blooming and decided to still and repeatedly come out with the same bollocks.

Surprised she has a law background.

Well basically she just doesn't care about the distance between what she says and reality.

• rikofold said:

colin1961 said:

Hang on, I might have lost the thread a bit - are we talking Luzon here? He was already employed by RD with 18 months of his contract to run because whilst being removed from his role at Liege he wasn't actually sacked. That's why he was a cheap free option for Charlton boss when Peeters went.

I would be utterly astonished if Marc Wilmots ever remotely considered managing Charlton.
    Stay clear of Marc Wilmots.
  • colin1961 said:

If Marc Wilmots becomes the next Charlton manager, I will get "Roland was ere" tattooed on Colin's arse!
  • ^ Best place for it.