Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Brentford | Sat 24 Oct | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• edited October 2015

Suddenly (nearly) all the "sickies" are available for Saturday?? Is this coincidence or just panic? Smells a bit of RD instructing GL to play all those nearly-ready first choice players to placate the fans and try and get a result. Probable result - loss, followed by longer loss of players through agitated injuries. Don't like being this cynical but it's becoming a habit the longer we are part of this Belgium's experiment.

Glad I'm not the only cynic. This is what worries me most too. GL had been so adamant they need longer to be fully fit, but now his job's on the line ...
  • Guy Lose-on needs to get his brain into gear, that 2nd minute free kick was so obviously in need of a man on the post, Pope was totally mugged. He eventually brought on Big Mak who immediately started to flick-on the headers, but he completely forgot that you have to have people running on to those flick-ons. Could we please have a British Manager, and why don't we ask DFS to sponsor that bloody silly sofa. Either that or get some nice curtains and a Standard Lamp and rent it out. Oh by the way, 0-0 with both teams parking the Bus.
  • With a fully fit squad I genuinely think we are a mid table side. Without it we are a Development squad, a load of 17 year olds, with some average players & has beens..

I'm going for a 1-0 , scrappy win, Watt second half
  • MrLargo said:

Brentford
    Sam Saunders, Lewis Macleod, Marcos Tebar and Scott Hogan are all back in training after lengthy spells out but will not be risked this weekend.

Meanwhile, over at Charlton, Johnnie Jackson, Simon Makienok, Franck Moussa, Reza Ghoochannejhad and Stephen Henderson are still some way from being match fit but will most probably all start anyway as it's either that or get a couple of the girls from the ticket office to play up front with the tea lady in the holding midfielder role.
    Preferable to Bergdich.
  • A good win will start our charge to the playoffs xx
  • tgarrat1 said:

With a fully fit squad I genuinely think we are a mid table side. Without it we are a Development squad, a load of 17 year olds, with some average players & has beens..

Given that hardly anyone is over 22, I don't think has-beens are our particular problem.
  • rananegra said:

tgarrat1 said:

With a fully fit squad I genuinely think we are a mid table side. Without it we are a Development squad, a load of 17 year olds, with some average players & has beens..

Given that hardly anyone is over 22, I don't think has-beens are our particular problem.
    Jackson, Diarra ? Or are you suggesting they are in their prime?
  • tgarrat1 said:

rananegra said:

tgarrat1 said:

Jackson, Diarra ? Or are you suggesting they are in their prime?
    Two players, both of whom have put in very good performances this season. JJ might be slow but he's not a has-been - he made the difference against Fulham. Nor is Diarra on most games I've seen this season. And when we don't have either of them on the pitch, our lack of experience shows.
  • I'm going so expect a 3-0 not sure which way...
  • Wasn't the Brentford home game last season Stephen Henderson's first game back from injury? And we won and everyone was saying Hendo comes back in and we won! Could it happen again this season?
  • Sponsored links:

• uie2 said:

Wasn't the Brentford home game last season Stephen Henderson's first game back from injury? And we won and everyone was saying Hendo comes back in and we won! Could it happen again this season?

Is that right? Amazing if true
  • According to the Football League Tonight guff in the TV Times, tomorrow's game is at Brentford....

Could this be our excuse for "not turning up" tomorrow ?
  • I know this sounds strange but I just cannot wait for another game. Surely we cannot be so bad again? First goal is crucial as always and if we can grab it... Still thought we were just starting to build at only 1-0 down last Tues and with a bit of luck Watt would have broken through but then they scored again... This will be tough but it is Brentford not Arsenal? If luck favours us I think we will win 1-0!!! COYA!!!
  • I can't make it so we'll probably put in a great performance, win 3 nil and turn our season around.
  • colin1961 said:

Well just seen who the ref is tomorrow ........ Our problems over the last month or so has also not been helped by poor decisions that have changed the mode of the game , Rotherham at home first 20 mins their keeper had a stormer them the ref made his big mistake when your on top it puts you in a different mindset all of sudden your chasing a game where the other team have something to hold , Huddresfiekd first goal ref was conned by Miller for free kick the score 0-0 at the time , Cardiff away 1-0 lead Mason clearly handballs it 1-1 , Cardiff get belief there fans get behind them diff game , and Preston first goal everyone behind the goal saw Ba win the ball cleanly , you just had to look at the direction of the ball , goal and with our recent form and a young side again we are on the back foot .........
    So not only do we need Guy to things right , the players to give us the perfect performance and the fans to get behind the team whatever happens , we need the ref to get the game changing decisions correct

Stuart Attwell will take charge of the London derby.

The referee has officiated 12 matches so far this season, with the first of those coming at The Valley for Charlton’s Capital One Cup tie against Dagenham & Redbridge, which the Addicks won 4-1.

In his 12 encounters so far in 2015/16 - that have spanned across England’s top four divisions and the cup - Attwell has brandished 35 yellow cards and three reds.

He will be supported by linesmen David Avent and Alan Dale, and fourth official Brendan Malone.

• Im just hoping the midfield doesnt stand of their midfield and let them dictate play
  • 1-2 Brentford......... if Hendo plays then maybe we'll nick it but I think the slide continues if not
  • Another dysmal performance 0-4
  • edited October 2015
    My 11 year old who is Charlton mad (normally) just asked if we have to go today. Not just us old cynics who are feeling it then. Reading away (on and off the pitch) and Tuesday night have really taken their toll on the lad.
  • Sponsored links:

• 24th October 2014 lose to Fulham 3-0
    24th October 2009 draw to Gillingham 1-1
    24th October 2015 beat Brentford?
  • Having Bauer and Henderson back will stiffen the defense, so
    0-0.
    Can't see us scoring.
  • Had a dilemma whether to go. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching football but just loathe to hand my ticket money over. I guess until there is some organised action, individual boycotts are pointless.

Pointless like the Bees will be today. 5-1 Charlton, COYR
  • 1 - 0 win. Not pretty but the returnees make a difference.

• Regardless of the evidence that the wheels have come off Roly's boring Belgian bus, I think there are some basic problems not being addressed.

Our inexperienced reserve keeper has started every game this season and still looks very shakey in command of his area despite some outstanding stops. It is quite right that we are all supportive of the fella but how many other clubs in this league would pay us to have him as their first choice keeper?

I just don't see us defending effectively without Diarra who is a class act and should be Captain when JJ is not playing. He deserves to be in a much better team than ours. Sarr may have potential but is nowhere near the same level and we will concede when he is playing. We should have bought an experienced and solid English blocker as a back up to Diarra for these sort of matches. Indeed we had one (Morrison) and sold him and then had another last season who did a steady job guiding Gomez, so we released him too.

We have no width on the left without Cebellos and should never have loaned out Harriot to Colchester without an immediate recall clause. We have no width on the right because Gudmundsson always drifts inside and no plan B because we have no experienced right winger/midfielder. We had one last season (Eagles) but released him, presumably to save on the wage bill. Gudmundsson has been found out big time by wily and experienced Championship managers who have seen it all before and will only get more frustrated.

Worst of all, we have no bite up front and it is very unfair risking the career of a very promising home developed teenager by placing all the responsibility on his shoulders. Have any of our strikers scored more than 2 goals this season? Watt is very talented but comes deep for possession and is clearly not fit. Big Mak needs someone to play off him and that is not Watt's natural game.

My own suspicion is that the owner is dictating recruitment not the coach or the scouts and we have been left with a squad that is only good enough to compete at this level if everyone is fit and in form and this never happens for any team in the championship because of the frequency and physical intensity of the games. It also assumes every new recruit will hit the ground running and be an immediate success, which is clearly not the case.

Blame Luzon and blame the players as you please but this looks like poor recruitment and squad management to me.

Two plus points. Though no-one ever planned it, I think Big Mak and Reza might be an exciting combination and JJ may fire everyone up to grab a draw today but it won't alter the fundamental problems of poor club management by people who are just not football professionals.

1-1 (JJ pen 87th min)

Agree with all of this. And that scares me.....;)

Other major issue seems to be the training. We are unfit, would like to see the distance covered stats, bet we are near bottom of league.

I've also got beef with our set plays. That rests solely at the head coach's door. If he can't do drills get someone who can. If you can't understand what is needed on a microscopic level because you have never played the game to that level then get someone who can. Seems to me Luzons weakness is training, that's what I've heard anyway. Teams should get tighter over a season as they bed in. Our set plays are subject day league defensively, repeatedly caught out. I've heard some great managers say they start with defensive organisation at set plays to get a club out of trouble as it's one thing that can be fixed on the training ground, you can take an average defence and make them strong at corners just through drills.

I got carried away beginning of season and called Luzon a championship Mourinho. He reminds me of him in his Pithy outlook and quotes. I guess it was right because Jose has lost the plot but I didn't mean it like that!

• Indeed we had one (Morrison) and sold him and then had another last season who did a steady job guiding Gomez, so we released him too.

You missed out Johnson and, not English, but TBH and Bikey as well. Also worth noting that before this season, Diarra had played centre half only a handful of times in his career. When you take a step back and think about it, to be as unprepared as we were (are) at the start of the season is an absolute disgrace.

Agree with all your other points Grumpy and, with their good recent form, can't see beyond a defeat today....
  • Urrggghh not looking forward to this...

Come on Charlton
  • Just got to London after a good night out and only 3 hours sleep. Helped my positivity so 2-0 to us. And if it's dire, I can always catch up on my sleep.
  • Another dysmal performance 0-4

Will be worth that result for the reaction of the Covered End.
    Ps, that is not saying I want us to lose!
  • Can't be confident after Tuesday's performance. Scrappy 1-1 draw.