Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone at all still believe in RD and the network

Comments

• razil said:

of course he will want his investment back, but I'd like to win the Euro millions, so what..

Richard Murray and his cronies can resonate with that.
    They royally f**** up but are still expecting their money back.
  • The wind ( my wind) is changing. Even at the start of this season I thought that things were more positive. Some good signings and I thought the lessons of previous seasons would be learned. A competative squad with depth and enough latitude to blood youngsters in a sensible way.

Yet again what we have is a thin unbalanced squad where youth is expected to step up and fill the gaps. It's not going to work. Players signed on long contracts that are inexplicable given their recent playing history. Reliance on foreign punts that at best take some time to settle and others that are just not good enough. To be fair several quality players too.

A manager that has been let down and looks to have lost the players.

I am still even at this point reluctant to condemn completely yet I can't help the feeling that something is wrong.

Not sure what we can expect next.

Good post and pretty much where I am at present.
  • cabbles said:

colin1961 said:

Look at the mess that Richard Murray got into and where TJ and Slater left us , one day away from going out of business .... Don't think anyone knows how many problems were at this club when RD saved us , what happened to the USA guy, the Russians , Arabs they all run a mile when they dug deep into our finances but RD did not , he took it on invested in the ground , pitch and laid die plans for the academy , he has improved the playing squad and increased our spending and wage budget 3 fold ..... RD still sorting out the mess left behind our losses have been cut with the sale of Gomaz we could be as low as only 2/3 million loses and from TJ and Slater days when there were losing treble that ..... That's the good work that RD as done
    He saved our club , without him there might not be a club the best most likey 2nd div like Portsmouth
    We are in a sound financial situation now better then we have been for many many years ..... Success is going to take time got to get the foundations sorted first , the rebuild as started but the mess left behind its not going to happen overnight .

We should thanking RD because we still have a Charlton to watch on Saturday afternoon if he decides he is fed up with the Agro I fear for our club .... Can't see anyone else brave enough to take us on

So thank you RD from the proper fans

From the proper fans - LMFAO
    Actually agree with Colin. Foundations need to be built so we can produce and develop young players. Unfortunately it's not a level playing field and whilst we have some decent players they are looking less and less decent every week! Good model if players being developed are well coached play well as a team and show signs of development! Not happening! Should not throw money at more bodies if we can't coach them / get them to play together as a team. I like Luzon and hope he can turn things round but starting to wonder if we need a Peter Taylor like coach for this sort of model.
  • razil said:

of course he will want his investment back, but I'd like to win the Euro millions, so what..

Richard Murray and his cronies can resonate with that.
    They royally f**** up but are still expecting their money back.
    indeed but that is after taking a big haircut, but even then..
  • colin1961 said:

Look at the mess that Richard Murray got into and where TJ and Slater left us , one day away from going out of business .... Don't think anyone knows how many problems were at this club when RD saved us , what happened to the USA guy, the Russians , Arabs they all run a mile when they dug deep into our finances but RD did not , he took it on invested in the ground , pitch and laid die plans for the academy , he has improved the playing squad and increased our spending and wage budget 3 fold ..... RD still sorting out the mess left behind our losses have been cut with the sale of Gomaz we could be as low as only 2/3 million loses and from TJ and Slater days when there were losing treble that ..... That's the good work that RD as done
    He saved our club , without him there might not be a club the best most likey 2nd div like Portsmouth
    We are in a sound financial situation now better then we have been for many many years ..... Success is going to take time got to get the foundations sorted first , the rebuild as started but the mess left behind its not going to happen overnight .

We should thanking RD because we still have a Charlton to watch on Saturday afternoon if he decides he is fed up with the Agro I fear for our club .... Can't see anyone else brave enough to take us on

We have more debt than ever, have paid substantial fees for - and are paying the wages of - a string of players on long term contracts who are not good enough to play for the team and in some cases for whom there is no market, in KM's own words, because of a flawed recruitment process.

If that's a "sound financial situation" then I'm the governor of the Bank of England.
    I'm completely ignorant about the financial stuff, I think I heard that RD is charging us interest on the debt, it sounds worrying, is that normal?
  • One of the positive features of the network was supposed to be to share medical knowledge.
    Given our injuries, I'm hoping the benefits of that sharing happens soon, because we're nearly two years in.
    Heaven forfend that a string of players have decided they want out, and one route to market is to kill time with an injury, whilst preserving wear and tear on the body and the reputation.
  • colin1961 said:

We have more debt than ever, have paid substantial fees for - and are paying the wages of - a string of players on long term contracts who are not good enough to play for the team and in some cases for whom there is no market, in KM's own words, because of a flawed recruitment process.

If that's a "sound financial situation" then I'm the governor of the Bank of England.
    I'm completely ignorant about the financial stuff, I think I heard that RD is charging us interest on the debt, it sounds worrying, is that normal?
    The previous ultimate holding company didn't charge interest. I think it is odd, although 3% is not punitive.
  • edited October 2015
    But surely we are no more shit than we were in 7 out of the last 9 seasons? I mean we are just normally shit as usual aren't we? Is that RDs fault? I'm not defending him. It's just that we aren't any MORE shit under him surely?
  • But surely we are no more shit than we were in 7 out of the last 9 seasons? I mean we are just normally shit as usual aren't we? Is that RDs fault? I'm not defending him. It's just that we aren't any MORE shit under him surely?

The last home game was so shit in so many ways there is nothing more shit than that.
  • Sponsored links:

• The only positive aspect of his tenure has been the opportunity to make lazy reference to Eddy Merckx, Roger De Vlaeminck, Jacques Brel and César Franck. And waffles. And frites. And sofas. Oh, what mirth.
    Can we have our club back now, please?
  • Maybe Roland and Co need to think properly when appointing managers because both Luzon and Peeters have failed and they did not give Riga a contract when he kept us up!

• So I'd like RD to get a proper manager in next time, but not to sack Luzon as he is very much in credit.

Well constructed argument Nick but his record is increasingly shocking. 3 wins in the last 19 league games !!! Any credit for the post Peters mini bounce has well and truly dried up surely! I get the impression he is a one trick pony and bouncing around on the touch line like a bug eyed loon obviously only gets a team so far.

• Being generous/looking at the bigger picture etc, etc....I think whatever merit there was in RD's approach died with the demise of FFP. Since then he's been stumping up money trying to stand still, when in reality we are going backwards. If it was me I'd want a word with whoever it is that keeps recruiting players that are not up to the job in hand.

I'd like to know who these people/the person is responsible for bringing in these 'footballers'.
  • Can answer the question in one word. No.
  • I want to see how we perform.when the injured players come back to give my side,very easy to slagged people off with half a team.
  • TBH we all knew that the squad was not right at the start of the season, although we signed some decent players, the early form was a pleasant shock. It papered over the gaps in the squad, then we lost form and the injuries started leaving the squad decimated.

What worries me though is that RD will think get the squad fit and we will avoid relegation without further outlay this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2015

I've always stuck up for RD on here and I think I'm going to continue to do so.

I don't agree with all of his policies; He is far too trigger happy.

I loved having Powell in charge. When we won, I was happy for the fans and players but also really wanted Powell to succeed. I think that comes with having an interesting bloke to listen to who has joined in with the Charlton adventure.

I think that Luzon is a very capable manager who has been freakishly unlucky with injuries but fans just don't connect with him. His English is poor and nobody has ever heard of him. I'm sure Brentford fans felt the same about Djurkhousen or whatever his name was. The manager also reflects the club. We see Wolves as 'Kenny Jackett's Wolves side" and "Rowetts excellent Birmingham City side". Nobody sees us as " Guy Luzon's Charlton team" because he has zero connection with the club.

So I'd like RD to get a proper manager in next time, but not to sack Luzon as he is very much in credit.

I also think RD should give the manager more power. 100% control over signings please. No self-respecting manager wants to work at a club where a load of plebs offer up players and the manager says yes or no without knowing what is coming next.

But RD has brought many positives to the club. I think that RD's spending on the club seems to go completely unnoticed at Charlton. A lot of the infrastructure that was just left to rot under previous management has been attended to out of RD's pocket. He has also spent a fair few bob on players. Yes, a lot of you think he should bankrupt himself and put all his assets on sale for the sake of Charlton but he has bought players at great expense, of which some have been a success. After the Hull game, we all thought we had signed some absolute gems didn't we?

I also think Meire is a very capable woman and I'm very confused over the levels of criticism she receives.

Not the best constructed argument but I'm typing this on my phone whilst listening to a radio programme.

Bye

It's a well constructed opinion and you have, quite rightly, highlighted some of the positives RD has brought to the club. Where we differ is that you appear to want it both ways, investment in the team/infrastructure AND giving the manager a freehand over recruitment and team selection.

Quite simply this is never going to happen under the current regime and while RD continues to own the club we will not see a manager in charge, only a conveyor of first team coaches prepared to work within the framework provided and overseen by RD/KM.

Turning the clock back I and others were prepared to get behind the change and see where we went with this set up. Others were less happy, preferring the traditional British set up, but regardless none of us any choice than to like it, lump it or leave ultimately. I think at the heart of the problem is that the wider climate has changed with the virtual collapse of FFP, the sale of Standard and the ridiculous sums of money chucked about by our competitors in this league, let alone at the top.

I don't think RD has taken that adequately into account and is continuing on a course of action that ultimately could see us bouncing between the second and third tiers for the foreseeable future. All the while those clubs who have had even one season in the PL move further and further ahead of ourselves making the chances of us ever getting promotion more remote each year.

In short, I'm not adverse to trying a different set up at all (it's worked for Watford for example) but you still need to have the correct level of resources in place for the coach to work with and every one of us could see back in the summer we were coming up short in certain areas. We are now in danger of paying a far heavier price for that than necessary.
  • The success of the euro-scouts has been shockingly low, and that's where the whole thing falls down.
  • I was positive at the start, even with the whole network idea. But now I've no doubt in my mind that his plan will fail, and I feel like many others on here in the sense that I don't feel the same connection to the club that I once had. Riga seemed to have a bit of Charlton about him, but no player or coach since has seemed to be the right fit, and I find myself caring less as each season goes on.

It also worries me that KM seems like she could be the person to introduce goal music at The Valley, and that for me would be the final straw.
  • Oakster said:

So I'd like RD to get a proper manager in next time, but not to sack Luzon as he is very much in credit.

Well constructed argument Nick but his record is increasingly shocking. 3 wins in the last 19 league games !!! Any credit for the post Peters mini bounce has well and truly dried up surely! I get the impression he is a one trick pony and bouncing around on the touch line like a bug eyed loon obviously only gets a team so far.

So you're just going to ignore the injuries he's had to contend with?

Henderson's injury has been massively under-estimated by some fans and the club. He has a huge influence on the way we defend. 17 goals in the last 7 games says it all and i doubt any other manager or fan would select the defensive unit thats been playing much differently.

KAG isn't ready to lead a line in the Championship either. He's a promising young talent but Big Mak/Vetokele/Watt are all better players that have an spells on the sideline for much of the last few months.

I think calling Luzon a 'one trick pony' is harsh when he's not had anywhere near a full squad available to him for much of this season. It certainly wasn't one trick when we were playing with confidence at the beginning of the season.
  • The success of European managers is also very very low. Only Jean Tigana, Jolanovic and Martinez have succeeded in getting teams out of this division
  • Very well put RM.
  • I think the club underestimated Henderson's injury, as they let last seasons reserve goal keeper go out on a seasons loan to a network club in Spain. Some of the players were out injured before the transfer window closed but no effort was made to bring in any cover.
  • I liked a lot of the signings and it has been bloody annoying that virtually all have been injured.
    The ones that have er underperformed seem as fit as butchers dogs. A friend of mine said that when they get injured at Charlton they seem to be out for ten months.
    I dont like RD but I am wary of pissing him off to much. The investment in the academy will be significant. Ulterior motive.....god knows. I have been left confused by the whole strategy of the club. I really do not know what to think.