Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Another Shooting In America?

Comments

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    I absolutely love it when our American friends come on here to tell us that the USA isn't that violent really and London is as bad, if not worse. Course it is chaps, course it is. 
    That’s not what we said though - somebody compared bar violence between London and Boston, and we said in our personal experience, you’re more likely to see bar violence in London. It’s just not a regular thing around Boston. 
    I've lived in London all my life and have spent most of that time sat in various pubs. 

In that time you could count the number of pub fights I've seen on one hand and the number of fights involving bottles or glasses on a eunuchs balls.

I've also never seen a gun on the streets of London, other than that carried by a policeman or at the changing of the guard.

That's my personal experience. That's my truth, buddy.
    But to be fair, most people living in America would say exactly the same about their experience there I imagine, just like the two chaps on here, as thankfully these type of events are still relatively rare in both countries.We can’t discount people’s personal experiences.

The first time I went to Glasgow the first pub we went in kicked of majorly after a few mins. If that had been my only visit I’d have a much different opinion to the one I have after about 10 visits.

I may be speaking out my arse but I’d imagine statistically you’re more likely to encounter violence on a night out here. Clearly you’d be more likely to be shot in your workplace or schoool there, though still extremely rare statistically.
    It’s so rare that in the USA in both schools and places of work you need training in what to do when there is an active shooter situation. Children have bullet proof backpacks. Comparing the U.K. and USA in terms of gun crime is like comparing Welling United and Manchester City.
    Of course it is, but the discussion was on bar/nightlife violence at that point.
    Nope. Read your post.
    I see your point, if you’re referring to the ‘it being rare’ bit of my previous post. Still maintain it is probably rare statistically, the fact people prepare for it (whist obviously a disgusting and depressing state of affairs) is just like we all prepare for fire drills but the occurrence is rare.

Still maintain I was not comparing gun crime between the two countries, that would clearly be ludicrous give the ridiculous situation out there.
  • Options
    Police in California are responding to a shooting that has left several people injured, according to US media reports.

• Options
    At least ten dead in California shooting. 
  • Options
    Police in California are responding to a shooting that has left several people injured, according to US media reports.

9 people dead. It’s getting boring hearing about it now, nothing will ever fucking change out there.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

9 people dead. It’s getting boring hearing about it now, nothing will ever fucking change out there.
    The bottom line is that deep down, as a collective, they dont want it to change,  otherwise they would change it.
    It will never change. There is no overiding will for change.  To anyone else watching from the outside, especially from the developed world,  that seems plain crazy.

It's a vast country and that makes it's all about the odds. The odds are still in your favour.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Off_it said:

The bottom line is that deep down, as a collective, they dont want it to change,  otherwise they would change it.
    That's really not true. There is a huge desire for things to change. There are just a litany of factors, including the fact that we do not have a truly representative democracy here, that mean that it cannot. 

Don't confuse the will of the people with what is carried out legislatively. 

But also, yes, nothing will change this. This is how we live now. 

I grew up in LA so I know roughly where Monterrey Park is. I went to various Chinese/Lunar New Year celebrations as a kid. This one hits close to home, even if it's not the closest given there was a shooting at the community College where I took classes in high school a few years back, and another in Woodland Hills where I briefly worked after college.

I've never fired a gun. I have no interest to. I've barely even seen guns. I grew up in a state with one of the strictest gun control laws. And yet I can name two mass shootings in places I've spent time in. 

You all are right about one thing: things will not change. There are huge political fights over things like background checks, and those do help (also, they help prevent suicides), but we're fiddling at the edges while Rome burns. 
    I've given you a like because you say it how it is.
    But how sad is that 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    I absolutely love it when our American friends come on here to tell us that the USA isn't that violent really and London is as bad, if not worse. Course it is chaps, course it is. 
    That’s not what we said though - somebody compared bar violence between London and Boston, and we said in our personal experience, you’re more likely to see bar violence in London. It’s just not a regular thing around Boston. 
    I've lived in London all my life and have spent most of that time sat in various pubs. 

In that time you could count the number of pub fights I've seen on one hand and the number of fights involving bottles or glasses on a eunuchs balls.

I've also never seen a gun on the streets of London, other than that carried by a policeman or at the changing of the guard.

From the age of about 17 / 18 through to early to mid 20s, while drinking around Charlton, Woolwich, North Woolwich, Greenwich, Lewisham, and Dartford (and just about everywhere between); reckon I see a fight or act of violence probably once every couple of weeks and I've personally been glassed twice. One time of which was completely unprovoked, with no lead up whatsoever.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

From the age of about 17 / 18 through to early to mid 20s, while drinking around Charlton, Woolwich, North Woolwich, Greenwich, Lewisham, and Dartford (and just about everywhere between); reckon I see a fight or act of violence probably once every couple of weeks and I've personally been glassed twice. One time of which was completely unprovoked, with no lead up whatsoever.
    didn't you get done with a handful of straws once as well 

;) 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

;) 
    Yeah, that was unprovoked n all
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

;) 
    and it was a "mate"
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

;) 
    and it was a "mate"
    Yeah. And another mate knocked me out with a fire door, completely unprovoked n all, come to think of it
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

;) 
    and it was a "mate"
    Yeah. And another mate knocked me out with a fire door, completely unprovoked n all, come to think of it
    starting to think you're not that popular mate 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

;) 
    and it was a "mate"
    starting to think you're not that popular mate 
    Is your name Millwall and no one likes you?
  • Options

From the California Governor (what I or anyone else thinks if him is irrelevant here), who had to take time away from meetings survivors to be briefed on the next mass shooting today, which killed seven. 

From someone who works with survivors after her own child was killed in the Aurora shooting in 2012.

Mass shootings are so common that people cannot finish dealing with one shooting before another occurs. The sheer logistical fact of that is staggering. 
  • Options
    "Rare" 

Ok...
  • Options
    I don't understand why there isn't a mass migration away from the USA. What a scary place.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

;) 
    Suck it up soldier….
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

;) 
    Suck it up soldier….
    This was pre-paper straws that give you cramp in your jaw, trying to drink a McDonalds milkshake. These were the rigid sharp plastic f*****s and left loads of circles on my forehead.

Kids don't know they're born these days

#strawcrime
  • Options
    Can't imagine the UK with the same gun laws - there would be carnage.
  • Options
    I don't understand why there isn't a mass migration away from the USA. What a scary place.
    I remember as a kid in the 90s thinking it was just the coolest place ever and I'd love to live there, mainly based on TV and films.

Now, not a chance, would be way way down the list of places I'd want to live.
    I'm exactly the same. Probably because the Americans making these programmes genuinely feel it's the best place on earth, despite most of them never leaving the country.
  • Options
    I remember as a kid in the 90s thinking it was just the coolest place ever and I'd love to live there, mainly based on TV and films.

It is still a great place to live. Relatively cheap cost of living, extremely beautiful in parts, and some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet. As another poster has stated, the chances of you being shot are still extremely slim.

Despite places like Tennessee and Texas having a high firearm mortality rate, the people there are beyond friendly. Can't remember the number of times i've been invited back to people's houses for a beer/BBQ/dinner just because i've been sat in the bar with them.
  • Options
    "39 mass shootings have taken place across the country in just the first three weeks of 2023, per the Gun Violence Archive. The Gun Violence Archive defines a mass shooting as one in which at least four people are shot.

Incredibly the 2023 numbers so far are not anywhere near the record from 2021, which saw 690 mass shootings, an average of 57.5 per month"
  • Options
    Sadly I suspect its only a matter of time before we see a copy cat school attack...

School massacre plots foiled in Britain, counter-terror police reveal

A senior police officer said that eight 'late stage' terror plots were foiled last year, several of which were 'goal-line saves'

ByJack Hardy, CRIME CORRESPONDENT16 February 2023 • 7:35pm

Matt Jukes, the head of counter-terrorism policing, warned that investigators were finding an increasing amount of material glorifying school shootings shared by young people online CREDIT: James Manning/PA

School massacre plots inspired by US rampages have been repeatedly thwarted by British police in recent years, the country’s most senior counter-terrorism officer has revealed.

Matt Jukes, the head of counter-terrorism policing, warned that investigators were finding an increasing amount of material glorifying school shootings shared by young people online.

Hundreds of reports about potential school attacks have been made to the police terrorist hotline - a “toxic” trend Mr Jukes said was being driven by “the visibility of attacks in the US”.

Speaking at a Scotland Yard briefing about threats facing the UK, the police chief also disclosed that eight “late stage” terror plots were foiled last year, several of which were “close calls” that he described as “goal-line saves”.

Asked by The Telegraph whether police had disrupted any school shooting plots in recent years, Mr Jukes said: “Yes, absolutely. We have absolutely seen cases in which we have intervened with young people to prevent them going on to potentially carry out attacks in their school days.

'Real threat'

“It is not a notional threat, it is a real threat which we have seen in individual cases.”

He added that the details of the thwarted attacks could not be revealed as cases were still making their way through the legal system.

Mr Jukes also warned that “violent misogyny” espoused by individuals such as Andrew Tate risked pushing more young men towards terrorism.

Misogyny was said to be a common feature across the spectrum of terrorism cases, including Islamist, far-Right and incel extremists.

Asked specifically about Tate, who is under investigation in Romania over allegations of sexual assault and exploitation, the counter-terror chief said he was “concerned about anyone who advocates violent misogyny”.

He added: “One thing that is very clear is men are dominant in our terrorist casework and increasingly young men and boys are present, so anything that introduces that kind of toxicity has to be a concern to counter-terrorism policing.”

Teenage offenders

In a troubling new development, suspects under the age of 18 now constitute one-fifth of terrorism arrests and police have investigated individuals as young as 13.

Last year was the first since 2016 when no-one was killed or seriously injured in a terror attack, but there are still 800 live investigations, and 5,000 pieces of extremist content were removed from the internet in 2022.

The eight near-miss plots smashed by authorities were said to have involved would-be attackers who had selected their targets and were in the process of gathering weapons.

Police fear the danger to the public could soon increase as several high-risk terrorists reach the end of their prison terms in 2023, with an average of one terrorist prisoner released every week.

Among those due to leave prison are “individuals who have been convicted of very serious offences in the 2000s, individuals who have served over a decade in prison”, according to Mr Jukes.

• Options

It is still a great place to live. Relatively cheap cost of living, extremely beautiful in parts, and some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet. As another poster has stated, the chances of you being shot are still extremely slim.

Despite places like Tennessee and Texas having a high firearm mortality rate, the people there are beyond friendly. Can't remember the number of times i've been invited back to people's houses for a beer/BBQ/dinner just because i've been sat in the bar with them.
    Sounds a nightmare.