Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Another Shooting In America?

Comments

• Options
    Isn’t it odd that they’re charging Baldwin, seemingly with the same charge (and potential punishment) as the armourer. What is the point in a film production employing an armourer if the actor has to check the gun hasn’t got a live round in?

unless there’s more than meets the eye (only read limited press TBF) I find this astonishing. 
  • Options
    Fella I worked with for years took a job with our US operation, his first online training was what to do if an active shooter is on site - a bit different to the briefings on fire extinguishers, client confidentiality etc we used to do in the UK. The saddest part of this is that his new colleagues told him that their kids do similar training at school.
    One of my friends got a job on the board of a large bank in the States and uprooted his family to move there. They bought a house in a nice area just outside NYC. Every evening he likes to go for a run after work. One of his neighbours being kind pulled him to one side and said " Femi please do not do that, if the police see a black man running around here in the evening they are likely to shoot you" After 16 months of living the American Dream which among other things involved his 2 primary school aged children having to go through security in order to get into their school he resigned and returned to the UK. Some kind of "land Of The Free" eh !!
  • Options
    Isn’t it odd that they’re charging Baldwin, seemingly with the same charge (and potential punishment) as the armourer. What is the point in a film production employing an armourer if the actor has to check the gun hasn’t got a live round in?

unless there’s more than meets the eye (only read limited press TBF) I find this astonishing. 
    Has he been charged as a producer or something?  Maybe if he had some overarching responsibility on set, or hired the armourer and she wasn't up to the job etc there's maybe more of an argument to charge him I guess.

If not, charging an actor who is told he's firing something that is safe to fire, the same as actors must do on westerns etc thousands of times, is odd.
  • Options

Has he been charged as a producer or something?  Maybe if he had some overarching responsibility on set, or hired the armourer and she wasn't up to the job etc there's maybe more of an argument to charge him I guess.

If not, charging an actor who is told he's firing something that is safe to fire, the same as actors must do on westerns etc thousands of times, is odd.
    I presume he's charged because he is the one who physically pulled the trigger and fired the killing shot. No doubt he will use the defence of being told by the suitable parties that it was safe to do so and quite likely this will succeed but I think he's got to be charged as it was his action that lead to the death.

I doubt he'll be found guilty but by the letter of law I guess he has to be charged.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    I have lived in the USA for 30 years in Connecticut and now Massachusetts and have always felt safe when I go out. There are areas to avoid but I have never felt unsafe in a bar. Growing up in London I have seen numerous fights in pubs caused by things as stupid as someone looking at someone the wrong way.  The weapon of choice in those fights were beer glasses or bottles and have seen the results of numerous glassings including my brother (30 stitches and scarred for life) and my cousin who got bottled. I even saw a guy pull out an axe in a pub in Abbey Wood. I have never seen that over here. Yet I do not understand the American obsession with guns. I do own an antique shotgun inherited from my father in law but got rid of the ammo a long time ago. It is strange and some of the smartest and nicest people I know do own guns. They say they do it for protection. The government will never pass any tougher gun control laws while these nutcase Republican politicians are around. It’s a sad situation but I live in a beautiful and very safe part of the world…..Cape Cod. I love London but my family is here now.I just hope something will get done for the future of my grandkids.
    Plenty of bar fights in the states. I expect Boston won't be much different to London.
  • Options
    I've been to the USA more than 70 times (mainly business) and, so far, haven't experienced any issues.  First time I went to Dallas I was warned by the locals that if something happened and the police arrived to get down or away as quickly as possible as the police appear to have a "shoot first, ask questions later" policy.  Laws in Texas allow you to carry a gun at things like rodeos/country fairs etc. but it mustn't be concealed.  At the time I was told this I was also told there were 17 milliion people in Texas and 68 million guns...quite shocking really.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    I have lived in the USA for 30 years in Connecticut and now Massachusetts and have always felt safe when I go out. There are areas to avoid but I have never felt unsafe in a bar. Growing up in London I have seen numerous fights in pubs caused by things as stupid as someone looking at someone the wrong way.  The weapon of choice in those fights were beer glasses or bottles and have seen the results of numerous glassings including my brother (30 stitches and scarred for life) and my cousin who got bottled. I even saw a guy pull out an axe in a pub in Abbey Wood. I have never seen that over here. Yet I do not understand the American obsession with guns. I do own an antique shotgun inherited from my father in law but got rid of the ammo a long time ago. It is strange and some of the smartest and nicest people I know do own guns. They say they do it for protection. The government will never pass any tougher gun control laws while these nutcase Republican politicians are around. It’s a sad situation but I live in a beautiful and very safe part of the world…..Cape Cod. I love London but my family is here now.I just hope something will get done for the future of my grandkids.
    Plenty of bar fights in the states. I expect Boston won't be much different to London.
    For the 30 years I have been here I've seen maybe 2 fights and it was handbags at 5 paces.....no glasses or bottles. Maybe it was because I used to hang out with mates in Bermondsey and the Old Kent Road !! Yes in the dodgy parts of Boston i.e. Dorchester and Roxbury there is more violence but on the whole as a college town there are lots of well educated young people out having fun
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    ct_addick said:
    For the 30 years I have been here I've seen maybe 2 fights and it was handbags at 5 paces.....no glasses or bottles. Maybe it was because I used to hang out with mates in Bermondsey and the Old Kent Road !! Yes in the dodgy parts of Boston i.e. Dorchester and Roxbury there is more violence but on the whole as a college town there are lots of well educated young people out having fun
    Like you, I’ve been around Boston for 30 years. The closest I’ve seen to a bar fight was some drunk bumping into people, spilling drinks. Bouncer told him was time to leave and the guy took a swing at him. One punch knockout from the bouncer who wasn’t very big, but was a boxer. 

The one thing here is that people don’t get that drunk, not like I used to see in London, and still do when I go back. Bar staff are wary to over serve as they can be held legally responsible for anything that person does. 

As for shootings, the good news for most people is that they are rarely random. I have no numbers to back this up, but what I see locally are either domestic disputes, suicides or gang related. I’d say locally the biggest risk for an unrelated person getting shot is if you’re in an active gang area and they start shooting at each other. 

As I’ve said before, banning guns is just not going to happen unless they change the constitution, and that is more than difficult. What they need to do is pass constitutionally sound laws that hold people responsible for their weapons, and do more to make sure people can’t access guns where they are a risk to themselves or others. This is only going to change in small increments. 

The main problem is that real change has to happen at the federal level to be effective, and there are plenty of states out there that will actively work to undermine any federal regulations. 
  • Options
    Not wishing to deflect from this serious subject but @ct_addick, I think I know you. You are responsible for one of the funniest incidents I've seen while following Charlton. Do you recall being on a tube coming back from a game and helping a young lady dispose of her chocolate milkshake?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You probably had to be there.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I absolutely love it when our American friends come on here to tell us that the USA isn't that violent really and London is as bad, if not worse. Course it is chaps, course it is. 
    That’s not what we said though - somebody compared bar violence between London and Boston, and we said in our personal experience, you’re more likely to see bar violence in London. It’s just not a regular thing around Boston. 
  • Options
    Not wishing to deflect from this serious subject but @ct_addick, I think I know you. You are responsible for one of the funniest incidents I've seen while following Charlton. Do you recall being on a tube coming back from a game and helping a young lady dispose of her chocolate milkshake?
    You have the wrong person I'm afraid
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Saddens me greatly, that after 8 years of starting this thread that bugger all has changed.
  • Options
    Saddens me greatly, that after 8 years of starting this thread that bugger all has changed.
    The only thing that has changed is the death count.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    I absolutely love it when our American friends come on here to tell us that the USA isn't that violent really and London is as bad, if not worse. Course it is chaps, course it is. 
    That’s not what we said though - somebody compared bar violence between London and Boston, and we said in our personal experience, you’re more likely to see bar violence in London. It’s just not a regular thing around Boston. 
    I've lived in London all my life and have spent most of that time sat in various pubs. 

In that time you could count the number of pub fights I've seen on one hand and the number of fights involving bottles or glasses on a eunuchs balls.

I've also never seen a gun on the streets of London, other than that carried by a policeman or at the changing of the guard.

That's my personal experience. That's my truth, buddy.
    But to be fair, most people living in America would say exactly the same about their experience there I imagine, just like the two chaps on here, as thankfully these type of events are still relatively rare in both countries.We can’t discount people’s personal experiences.

The first time I went to Glasgow the first pub we went in kicked of majorly after a few mins. If that had been my only visit I’d have a much different opinion to the one I have after about 10 visits.

I may be speaking out my arse but I’d imagine statistically you’re more likely to encounter violence on a night out here. Clearly you’d be more likely to be shot in your workplace or schoool there, though still extremely rare statistically.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    I've lived in London all my life and have spent most of that time sat in various pubs. 

In that time you could count the number of pub fights I've seen on one hand and the number of fights involving bottles or glasses on a eunuchs balls.

I've also never seen a gun on the streets of London, other than that carried by a policeman or at the changing of the guard.

Ditto
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

But to be fair, most people living in America would say exactly the same about their experience there I imagine, just like the two chaps on here, as thankfully these type of events are still relatively rare in both countries.We can’t discount people’s personal experiences.

The first time I went to Glasgow the first pub we went in kicked of majorly after a few mins. If that had been my only visit I’d have a much different opinion to the one I have after about 10 visits.

I may be speaking out my arse but I’d imagine statistically you’re more likely to encounter violence on a night out here. Clearly you’d be more likely to be shot in your workplace or schoool there, though still extremely rare statistically.
    It’s so rare that in the USA in both schools and places of work you need training in what to do when there is an active shooter situation. Children have bullet proof backpacks. Comparing the U.K. and USA in terms of gun crime is like comparing Welling United and Manchester City.
    Bullet proof back packs, what's the world coming too. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    ct_addick said:

There Are So Many Bar Fights In Boston, The City Is Considering Getting Rid Of All Glassware - BroBible

Shame they don't consider getting rid of guns after so many shootings.  Fucking madness. 

But ... but ... but ...... London is worse .... and ... and everyone has a knife and the streets are rivers of blood ....
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

It’s so rare that in the USA in both schools and places of work you need training in what to do when there is an active shooter situation. Children have bullet proof backpacks. Comparing the U.K. and USA in terms of gun crime is like comparing Welling United and Manchester City.
    Bullet proof back packs, what's the world coming to. 
    Unbelievable Chips. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Probably also got America confused with Britain. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Of course it is, but the discussion was on bar/nightlife violence at that point.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Of course it is, but the discussion was on bar/nightlife violence at that point.
    Nope. Read your post.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Probably also got America confused with Britain. 
    Bit rude