Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vinyl Records

Comments

• Options

Riscardo said:

I have a copy of Darrell Banks 45 ‘Open The Door To Your Heart’/‘Our Love’ somewhere

On London American (mega rare) or Stateside, only about £20.
    Only one known copy of an issue on London, sold a few months back for around £26000 (26 Thousand !!! ) Demos go for around £1000 these days or you can buy an original US copy on Revilot records for around a tenner :-)
    I've had my Stateside single since 1966. Dave Godin gave it a wonderful review in one of the soul magazines he produced from his home in Bexleyheath in the 1960's. I bought the record and have loved it ever since. Darrell made some wonderful records but died tragically, very young.
    Yes was due to come out on London & Demos had been sent to radio stations etc but the release was shelved due to a problem with licensing with no copies of the issue leaving the factory. It was very soon after released on Stateside, the one issue on London that surfaced recently came from a former worker at the Decca distribution plant.
    Amended my previous comment, it sold for £14,543 not 26K oops
  • Options

Riscardo said:

I have a copy of Darrell Banks 45 ‘Open The Door To Your Heart’/‘Our Love’ somewhere

On London American (mega rare) or Stateside, only about £20.
    both i think
  • Options

theres teenagers reading this thread saying wtf they on about lol

Not alone. Never possessed a record player so never possessed a vinyl
  • Options
    I still have the original recording of "It's All Over Now" by the Valentinos (basically the Womack brothers) on a US SAR 45 single I picked up in Pennsylvania in the early '70's, Sam Cooke's record label.

Completely ripped off and ruined by THAT group whose name I still cannot bring myself to say.

A brilliant, vibrant R 'n' B stomper of the highest order. Played nightly at the Scene Club in Ham Yard, Soho by the legendary DJ, Guy Stevens in '64.
  • Options
    Can't beat a 2 step white label
  • Options

It always amazes me with these music threads how I always seem to be the only one that listened and liked popular shite

There is a pattern emerging!
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

As a kid - found in my grandparents attic some old 78's - Great Balls of Fire by Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis' Jailhouse Rock and many others that I can't remember. Put them all into boiling water and bent them into bowls and flower vases! Not the best of moves...

Stupidity of yoof eh? My brothers and i when pater was being beastly, which was often, would sneak the odd 78 from a massive collection i think he had inherited from some relative, go down Sutcliffe Park with them and use them as frisbys. They smashed wonderfully on the concrete by the refreshment hut.
  • Options
    Stig said:

It always amazes me with these music threads how I always seem to be the only one that listened and liked popular shite

There is a pattern emerging!
    Yep. I listened to popular shite.

On cassette.

• Options
    My first ever single purchase of Doug E Fresh and the get fresh crew - The Show must be worth a fortune now?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sold a "Born To Run" upside down outer cover misprint on ebay recently - 800 USD. One of his band even bid, but he lost out!
  • Options
    tom- k said:

My family home got burgled when I was about 9 and my dads life long collection of vinyl got nicked, about 1000 in total. The first and only time I've seen him cry.

I think I've seen some of it for sale on Ebay:

• Options
    Been told this is worth a few bob.
  • Options
    And this one

• Options
    Most of my vinyl is worth next to nothing, although there might be a few imports and rarities I suppose.

Mrs cafcfan was a member of the Beatles fan club back when she was a girl. So she has a copy of the 1970 fan club only Christmas release From Then To You which is a compilation of the previous Christmas releases sent out on flexidisc. Of course, there's nothing worth listening to on it, so it never gets played and is mint. As such, I believe it's worth a few quid despite being a pile of self-indulgent crap.
  • Options
    I had to sell my record collection about 6 years ago as we ran out of space. Sold The Who Live at Leeds with all the candy that came with it (posters etc) for £150 and an original Jimi Hendrix Axis Bold as Love with the lyric book for £260 the rest went for various amounts but in total for around 1000 albums I got about £4000 I suppose. Would still prefer to have them though can't beat it.
  • Options

I had to sell my record collection about 6 years ago as we ran out of space. Sold The Who Live at Leeds with all the candy that came with it (posters etc) for £150 and an original Jimi Hendrix Axis Bold as Love with the lyric book for £260 the rest went for various amounts but in total for around 1000 albums I got about £4000 I suppose. Would still prefer to have them though can't beat it.

Thought the 'live at Leeds' was a great live album, like 'Wheels of fire' by the Cream albeit ( half studio half live). 'Live free' was an excellent recording as well. Still think Band of Gypsys was in a class of it's own that Jimi had to release to get him out of his contract with his former manager. Being a student at the time, I used to sell my albums, then go out and buy others, normally when my grant cheque came through. Most of them would have been in pretty poor poor quality as I used to play them endlessly. Great buyer of bootleg album's and used to exchange/swap with other fan's. Remember going to Virgin records, and hearing the 3 album set of Hendrix at the IOW 1970, coloured Vinyl, pig quality label....... Starts of with the 'National Anthem', then plays 'Sgts Pepper', then goes into 'Spanish Castle magic'.
  • Options
    My mate has got copy of Whats the Story Morning Glory that has Step Out on it (they had to remove due to copyright before the main release).

Is that worth much?, as think he paid £60 quid for it back in the day.
  • Options
    Hoping for a bit of good advice from my fellow Lifers.

My Mother-in-Law's brother recently passed away and she is in the process of clearing out his home and has said that he has a few hundred vinyl records from the 50's onwards (assuming a lot of Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis type stuff). She mentioned chucking them all but I said that some of the old vinyls are worth a few bob these days, especially from that era.

I said I would look into getting some of them valued and try to find a good shop/collector who may want to take some or all of them off her hands. Does anyone have any recommendations for good shops/collectors in the Kent area that I could speak to?

Cheers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nirvana - Sliver 7" pink vinyl $29
  • Options
    Mark Arm ~The Free Wheelin'~ Masters of War/My life with Rickets~ Mudhoney~ $15
  • Options
    got this at my mum and dads somewhere, wonder what it's worth...

• Options

My Mother-in-Law's brother recently passed away and she is in the process of clearing out his home and has said that he has a few hundred vinyl records from the 50's onwards (assuming a lot of Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis type stuff). She mentioned chucking them all but I said that some of the old vinyls are worth a few bob these days, especially from that era.

I said I would look into getting some of them valued and try to find a good shop/collector who may want to take some or all of them off her hands. Does anyone have any recommendations for good shops/collectors in the Kent area that I could speak to?

Cheers.

You would be far better off, if you have the time, to list them individually on ebay.

Dealers, in my experience, will normally offer a fraction of their true worth.

Inbox me if you want any further advice.
  • Options
    Chris Wellard pops in The Pond now and then.
  • Options

Cheers.

You would be far better off, if you have the time, to list them individually on ebay.

Thanks. Will see exactly how many she has then decide if listing on eBay is a good option.
  • Options
    Still have a record player and like to pick up 80s classics from the boot fairs
    Reliving my wasted youth I suppose
  • Options
    I have a few Who records signed by Roger Daltrey & John Entwistle, Townshend wouldn't sign them.. My brother though has Anarchy in the uk, with Cook, jones,signed! Could be worth a few quid.

• Options

Cheers.

Thanks. Will see exactly how many she has then decide if listing on eBay is a good option.
    What ever you do don't go to a dealer, if you have the space hold on to the records & do some research. Obviously the ones in better condition will in most cases be worth more, there again if you have any real rarities they could still be worth a fair bit in slightly dodgy condition. Just type each individual record Artist title & label into your search engine & see what it brings up. What label it's on could be important so make sure you include that in your search. Popsike.com is also a good reference point, they list auction items going back many years.
    Good luck
  • Options
    My brother-in-law Steve is in Greenwich Market tomorrow from 8:30am, selling off my father-in-law's Vinyl collection if anyone is interested.
    Mainly 60s-90s Rock and Blues.