Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phil Chapple joining Fulham?

Comments

• Options
    9 years in the same job. Why wouldn't he wouldn't he want to move on. Makes sense for all concerned. We will see who was on his radar once we see the January fulham signings.
  • Options

Katrien Meire has taken over the role as chief scout in addition to her other duties at the club.....

cant have that ,whose going to sell the programmes and warm up the pies for half time ?
  • Options
    A player and a person I've always liked and will be sad to see him leave.Im sure you could go through so many players he may of or may not of helped bring to the club and there will be good and bad amongst them all and I'd guess that goes with many many scouts around the world as no doubt it's all part and parcel of the job.
  • Options
    At branch meetings you always learn more from Ex players/retired or Ex employers than current players and coaching staff. They have to be a bit diplomatic or else they would be the next out the door.
    Richard Murray when he was the main man could say what he wanted ?

Well he wasn't going to sack himself.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

No doubt Curbs is behind his move to Fulham, and I think Curbs may have an idea who makes a good scout and knows what they are doing.

"No doubt" is a bit strong. Curbs obviously has recent connections to Fulham, but he's not there now and I am not sure what he would know about Phil Chapple as a scout.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

ross1 said:

No doubt Curbs is behind his move to Fulham, and I think Curbs may have an idea who makes a good scout and knows what they are doing.

"No doubt" is a bit strong. Curbs obviously has recent connections to Fulham, but he's not there now and I am not sure what he would know about Phil Chapple as a scout.
    Sorry Airman, but I thought I read at the beginning of the season that Curbs had agreed to stay on at Fulham, obviously just a rumour
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    ross1 said:

ross1 said:

Sorry Airman, but I thought I read at the beginning of the season that Curbs had agreed to stay on at Fulham, obviously just a rumour
    When I spoke to Curbs in July he was about to decide whether to go back. He was openly in two minds about it. I haven't seen anything since so I assume he didn't, but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    Unfortunately his knowledge is all lower league. We had no money so he made himself an expert on lower league and rough diamonds. He isn't going to have that encyclopedic knowledge of ~European football as it is just not possible.

He will be a loss

Good luck Phil
  • Options
    ross1 said:

I would suspect not. Fulham put in a Chief Football Officer at the start of the year who is an extremely experienced guy (Mike Rigg). Followed Mark Hughes about and has been chief scout / head of player recruitment, technical director at Blackburn, Man City, QPR amongst others. Been at the FA last couple of years working on talent identification.

I would suspect he has an impeccable contact base. I've heard a lot of good things about the structure at Fulham off the pitch in the last year, despite their poor season last year. Keep getting indications they seem to be maturing into the kind of club off the pitch that we used to be.
  • Options
    It must be frustrating being Chief Scout when most of the signings seem to have come from other sources. If nothing else I'm sure he gets his main job satisfaction from finding a bargain from somewhere who becomes a first team regular
  • Options
    Steve Brown has resigned at Lewes
  • Options

Fulham's parachute money means they can pay top dollar to acquire talent. Ben Kensell allegedly doubled his salary when Norwich came for him.
  • Options

Steve Brown has resigned at Lewes

Who has only been there this season(I believe).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Bad news.

Another long term staff member leaving but I suspect that he has found it difficult to be a chief scout in recent years.

We all know how it will play out if he does go.

His departure is barely acknowledged, if it is at all, by the club.

His contribution will be rubbished on here.

It will be pointed out on here that there are lots of scouts so what's the big deal? Scouts are 10 a penny.

Anyone daring to be concerned will be derided.

Chapple does an interview for the SLP VOTV in a few months expressing his reasons for leaving which will be dismissed as "sour grapes from a bitter ex-employee"

Fixed it for you
  • Options
    Plus any information on Charlton players, that Fulham may not have realised, temperament, carrying injuries, etc
  • Options
    Great insight, thanks @Tutt-Tutt
  • Options
    As the window has now closed, Roly obviously feels he can dispense with a Scout. Katrien's already told us the wage bill has to be trimmed, so I am sure we can look for a Scout in the Summer when look to replace those who have left for next year's slog. Fulham obviously think Big Phil has something to offer and they have money to spend. I can see them beating us on Sunday too on the back of this. Belgian Groundhog Day.
  • Options
    Not sure that every departure is rubbished by everyone
  • Options
    Thanks Tutt Tutt. I really enjoyed that insight.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Bad news.

Another long term staff member leaving but I suspect that he has found it difficult to be a chief scout in recent years.

We all know how it will play out if he does go.

His departure is barely acknowledged, if it is at all, by the club.

His contribution will be rubbished on here.

It will be pointed out on here that there are lots of scouts so what's the big deal? Scouts are 10 a penny.

Anyone daring to be concerned will be derided.

Chapple does an interview for the SLP in a few months expressing his reasons for leaving which will be dismissed as "sour grapes from a bitter ex-employee"

Or Chapple will do an interview for SLP and have nothing but good things to say about Charlton as a club and mention it was just the right time to move on and he's glad to be back with his old mate Alan.