Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Phil Chapple joining Fulham?

http://www.cafcpicks.com/cgi-bin/drkish/display.pl?month=201509&date=20150927&time=2133

Not that surprising I guess. Doubt we'll be told who if anyone is replacing him.

With RD selling Standard Liege who is scouting players around Europe for us? Can't imagine the other clubs have big scouting networks. Are there scouts that work for RD rather than a specific club?

Comments

• Can the last one turn off the light as they go
  • Bad news.

His contribution will be rubbished on here.

blockquote>

Never thought he was a decent centre forward.

• can't tell if it's bad news or not. Since RD took over we had had some bad signings but also some very good one's. How many have Phil been involved with? Probably not many. So can't really judge if he's been a success or not but he was also here when we signed the likes of Izale McLeod, Luke Varney, McCormack, Andy Gray etc etc so maybe he's been a big disaster and so won't be missed at all.
  • would be interested to see the list of players we'd signed that were as a direct recommendation of him
  • would be interested to see the list of players we'd signed that were as a direct recommendation of him

Possibly none of the players signed from foreign clubs and the goalkeepers. The rest would be the likes of Johnson, Eagles, Bikey and the league one winning squad in conjunction with Powell and Dyer.
  • Sponsored links:

• shirty5 said:

would be interested to see the list of players we'd signed that were as a direct recommendation of him

Possibly none of the players signed from foreign clubs and the goalkeepers. The rest would be the likes of Johnson, Eagles, Bikey and the league one winning squad in conjunction with Powell and Dyer.
    if so then you also have to say the Championship relegation squad under Pardew. Swings and roundabouts and all that.
  • shirty5 said:

would be interested to see the list of players we'd signed that were as a direct recommendation of him

if so then you also have to say the Championship relegation squad under Pardew. Swings and roundabouts and all that.
    Chief Scout since 2007 so that is possible.
  • shirty5 said:

shirty5 said:

Chief Scout since 2007 so that is possible.
    So that would include such starlets as Wade Small, Andy Gray, Dorian Smith, Izale McLeod, Stuart Fleetwood, the South African guy, Tresor Kandol, Pawel Abbott, Dean Sinclair and many many more.
  • shirty5 said:

Not necessarily.

We don't know who was recommended by Chapple and then signed and we don't know who was recommended by Chapple and then not signed.

I'll stick my neck out and say that he is a better judge than three unknown and possibly unqualified blokes sitting at lap tops in Belgium.
    Is that still the case/was it ever really the case? Is that how players like Bauer and Kashi were spotted?
  • Scoham said:

shirty5 said:

Not necessarily.

We don't know who was recommended by Chapple and then signed and we don't know who was recommended by Chapple and then not signed.

I'll stick my neck out and say that he is a better judge than three unknown and possibly unqualified blokes sitting at lap tops in Belgium.
    Is that still the case/was it ever really the case? Is that how players like Bauer and Kashi were spotted?
    I don't think it is the case NOW. People who were there at the time say it was the case THEN.
  • i think its a great shame yet inevitable...thanks for everything you did for Charlton Phil and all the best to you for the future
  • Sorry to hear this news.

All the best Phil.
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't know if he is good, bad or indifferent. As like everyone else I have no idea whom he recommended and we bought, whom he recommended and we turned aside, what budgets we have been working to, what mandate he has had etc.

I do feel however that as an English football team we need a chief scout of the UK who knows the English leagues and has excellent connections to enable us to have a chance with bringing in experienced, quality players. To do well in the Champ on a budget, look at Ipswich with their savvy English manager who has all of this in bundles. No surprise he unearths those discarded, unwanted but still very capable players. I hope we suitably replace PC, if not, I fear it is a false economy on saved wages.
  • From what I know of the man he will be a big miss, a very talented scout with coaching abilities. I dread to think this 'experiment' is getting us into an un-returnable position post RD's tenure. Our backroom staff would need a complete overhaul.

It seemed inevitable though, even as far back as last season, I'm surprised Phil hadn't been snapped up by someone sooner. Good luck to him.
  • Couple of points to things that i don't think have been mentioned.

Does anyone know if Chapple's role was one purely forcused on player recruitment? That is all anyone ever mentions, yet a huge part of scouting is future opposition preperation. No idea whether that falls under his remit or not.

Secondly, (and i'm sure @Tutt-Tutt will correct me if wrong), i'm pretty sure that when you lose a chief scout, if that person is moving to another club you invariably lose virtually your whole scouting network; his contacts at other clubs and in the game that he has built up, regional scouts who report up etc. It can take a hell of a long time to build up a solid network with the right coverage and know who in the game to trust or avoid, and it can be something that can be very quickly be lost.

Seeing 'names' of players that will come round on the PFA circulars will only help you make a judgement based on what you think your know of their ability. You really need to have a solid contact base in the game to get a true understanding of things like their character, whether they will fit into your dressing room, manageable hidden injuries they may be carrying, ability to step up if a youngster looking for experience etc.

Very much an underated role imo

My understanding was that he was Chief Scout but his focus was on player recruitment. There were other scouts whose main role was the opposition although at a club of our size there is bound to be an overlap.

If you ever went in the Scouts office at the Valley there was a white board with a list of 20 to 30 players there were looking at that MONTH.

It's a good, and worrying, point you make about the network and contacts going with the chief Scout.

And this on top of the academy recruitment guy leaving in the summer.

Still, he's not officially gone yet. Let's hope he's persuaded to stay.
  • Pico said:

I interviewed Phil Chapple earlier this year for Trust News and I was very impressed with him. He was very open, honest and reflective

Oh dear. RD/KM don't do open, honest & reflective.
  • FFS anything RD does or doesnt do its the end of the world !!!!!!!!

so where the f--ck do you think we would be if he hadnt come in and got rid of the used car salesmen duo ? what league ?

grow a set