Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RD & KM (ed. insightful interview with Katrien, page 5)

Comments

• Options
    Oh dear, perfect timing of the article release to coincide with a poor run of form. To quote a variation on a theme the ride just gets bumpier. Hope I'm wrong but with these latest revelations I just can't see a happy ending to this Belgian experiment.
  • Options
    Had no time for the woman since she told porkies at the time of Peeters departure.
    To not care about our history says it all really.
    I haven't watched one game this season and, sadly, I'm not bothered.
  • Options
    As others have posted like Kap 10 and stonemuse a very strange interview, I feel there must indeed have been 'something lost in translation', I would have that you should at least treat your customers/supporters with dignity and respect, wether you feel that there opinions are wrong, misguided, or inappropriate. The coffee quote is rather bizzare, and the comment about the 80 year old supporter is frankly a cheap shot and not really worthy of someone in her position.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Success with Charlton will place you very highly in the market. Static movement / no promotion is not a success, no matter how much you sell the tea/coffee story.

You'd like to think that, but I expect many of us have seen plenty of examples of people's ability to climb the greasy pole despite having a distinctly chequered track record. The whole thing gives an impression that we are nothing more than a stepping stone towards something bigger/better/cooler.
  • Options
    It probably doesn’t occur to her that mature fans/customers who have been supporting the club for many years may have some valid points to make and are worth listening to. It isn’t a big deal to most of us, but the new mascots are embarrassing and it worries me anybody at the club hasn’t got the judgement to realise. I reckon I could knock up a better outfit than the Robin one in my lunch break!

She seems to fall into the same trap in that when things are looking good, it is all about the owner and her being so great and so much better than went before. I do think they are better than went before by the way, but what went before was probably as bad as it got – and I do think Jiminez had better football knowledge just not business knowledge!

Surprised with her being a lawyer that she presented as fact a statement that was nonsense about 90,000 crowds. It sort of shows a laziness to try to understand the club and unfortunately no little arrogance.

We have already received the message that if we don’t like it we can lump it from her. Well, maybe revenue from fans doesn’t matter. All developments have not been bad, but many fans are losing that link they felt with the club. Some will say that doesn’t matter but I think it does. The blueprint of how to run a club of our size has already been accomplished, and emulated by our friends at Selhurst. It wasn’t a complex plan and certainly we could see what it was from an early stage – unlike the plan of the owner where to be honest, we are still scratching our heads over.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Success with Charlton will place you very highly in the market. Static movement / no promotion is not a success, no matter how much you sell the tea/coffee story.

You'd like to think that, but I expect many of us have seen plenty of examples of people's ability to climb the greasy pole despite having a distinctly chequered track record. The whole thing gives an impression that we are nothing more than a stepping stone towards something bigger/better/cooler.
    agreed ... but if we did go up, it would raise her earning potential significantly
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Had no time for the woman since she told porkies at the time of Peeters departure.
    To not care about our history says it all really.
    I haven't watched one game this season and, sadly, I'm not bothered.

I know what you mean. I've only been to 3 games this season, I am free on Sunday but I may have a day out rather than subsidise her wages and Duchatelet's "experiment".
  • Options
    edited October 2015

• Options
    Never understood why I had to do 2 years of Latin whilst at secondary school in Sidcup
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

'I struggled. Especially the first few months, I happened to cry. I could not speak at Roland but it was busy and I had ensure that it does not have to endure our problems. Fortunately, the staff lovingly supported me.'

'Through layoffs and outsourcing, Meire rose (ed. reduced??) from 150 to 100 employees. She gave a great sweep in this dusty club'

Those two quotes are almost right next to each other. Either it's a very dodgy translation or the guy writing up the interview has no sense of irony. Honestly I really do hope it's just carried over wrong because I know the business world is an unpleasant place but it's still horrendously inappropriate to talk about how you only got through the first few months in your job with the support of your staff and then immediately revel in clearing out a third of them. 'You guys really helped me out at the start when I had no idea what I was doing. Well, anyway, laters you dusty bastards, the future's calling'.

I presume she meant the ones she didn't clear out!
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Never understood why I had to do 2 years of Latin whilst at secondary school in Sidcup

Amo Amas Amat

• Options
    Show us yer minutes :wink:
  • Options
    I don't get the bit about her missing the winner against Hull. I sit just below the Directors area and she was there. She went up to GL's wife at the end after GL was walking back through the stand.

All in all, not the most inspiring article. I don't know what to make of it. Yes, I am grateful for RD saving the club from administration, his continued support and financial assistance. I am grateful for the transfers this season. Yet, we have a history, we have people that have put a lot of time and effort into this club from a community perspective and this is important not to lose.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Am I the only one who read that and isn't outraged by it?

I mean, the club was in a mess when Roland took over, they have spent money on players and infrastructure, and you only have to read Charlton Life to know there we have a significant number of fans who think they know everything there is to know about the club and love a good moan about what whoever is in charge at the time is doing wrong. It's not her job to live in the past, she's a custodian of our present and future.

You can question the wisdom of sharing some of these thoughts with a journo and I understand that people with a better knowledge of how the club was and is being run have, I'm sure, legitimate concerns and criticisms, but even someone like Airman Brown is broadly of the opinion that KM & RD's intentions are honourable and are still preaching general patient approach. The bit about support of the staff and then firing them is a bit jarring but her job can be pretty thankless so I can sympathise why she might occasionally become a bit jaded by her dealings with some fans.
  • Options

I mean, the club was in a mess when Roland took over, they have spent money on players and infrastructure, and you only have to read Charlton Life to know there we have a significant number of fans who think they know everything there is to know about the club and love a good moan about what whoever is in charge at the time is doing wrong. It's not her job to live in the past, she's a custodian of our present and future.

You can question the wisdom of sharing some of these thoughts with a journo and I understand that people with a better knowledge of how the club was and is being run have, I'm sure, legitimate concerns and criticisms, but even some like Airman Brown is broadly of the opinion that KM & RD's intentions are honourable and are still preaching general patient approach. The bit about support of the staff and then firing them is a bit jarring but her job can be pretty thankless so I can sympathise why she might occasionally become a bit jaded by her dealings with some fans.

I'm not outraged, just disappointed.
    Ouch.
  • Options
    Has anyone properly translated it and not used google translate?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Has anyone properly translated it and not used google translate?

No need she gave the interview in English.....
  • Options
    She is not stupid. I cannot believe she was expressing those views knowingly 'on record'. Sounds like she got too friendly with this journalist (or someone who has a journalist contact) and said a lot more in a social setting, over a few glasses of wine maybe, which she was not expecting to be reported.
  • Options

She is not stupid. I cannot believe she was expressing those views knowingly 'on record'. Sounds like she got too friendly with this journalist (or someone who has a journalist contact) and said a lot more in a social setting, over a few glasses of wine maybe, which she was not expecting to be reported.

Which is pretty stupid.
    Yes, I see your point. Naïve and too trusting as well maybe.
  • Options

You can question the wisdom of sharing some of these thoughts with a journo and I understand that people with a better knowledge of how the club was and is being run have, I'm sure, legitimate concerns and criticisms, but even someone like Airman Brown is broadly of the opinion that KM & RD's intentions are honourable and are still preaching general patient approach. The bit about support of the staff and then firing them is a bit jarring but her job can be pretty thankless so I can sympathise why she might occasionally become a bit jaded by her dealings with some fans.

I don't think there's much outrage on here (yet, give it time). I just think she's quite a strange lady, assuming that this article is more or less accurate. I work in an environment where customer satisfaction is vaguely relevant yet isn't the central part of my role, but at the same time if I went off spouting about how I don't really care about their issues and how stupid I think their whiny complaints are I'd get a well deserved bollocking. Similarly, I wouldn't get too far if I publicly had a carefree chat about all the rubbish members of staff I'd sacked in the past year.

It just doesn't make sense to me. If they're unfeeling, cold, calculating Belgian robots then you'd expect them to have no care for the emotional football side of things but still run things very professionally. An article like this doesn't support that theory, and I do think Katrien wants to love the club, but then she brazenly says she's not bothered about our history or the fans' concerns. They're not cold business people but they're not passionate supporters looking to involve the fans either. They're some weird hybrid of not being bothered about the fans from a personal or professional perspective. They're like that parent who works every hour of every day and always misses the kid's birthday but also buys them expensive birthday presents, then wonders why the kid still doesn't connect with them.
  • Options

I mean, the club was in a mess when Roland took over, they have spent money on players and infrastructure

The club was indeed in a mess when they took over, and they have indeed spent money on players and infrastructure - how much better off are we as a result? Not very, if at all in my opinion.

No shame in being stuck near the bottom of the table when you haven't got a pot to piss in, but not great to be boasting about significant investment in players when you're still flirting with the relegation zone.