Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Has football jumped the shark?

Comments

• IA said:

Chizz said:

I don't see why the football is less important than the F1. It's rubbish to watch nowadays and a prime example of a sport that has jumped the shark.

It would be interesting to see the relative worldwide viewing figures for those four sports this weekend. There are millions of F1 fans across Europe and Asia who, this weekend, couldn't care less about English football. That's got to be a worry for the Premier League.

Likewise, this same weekend, the highest attendance have been for rugby matches, not football matches.

If football is losing out to other sports in terms of tv and live audiences, does that mean it's time for change?
    There was a higher attendance for the Gaelic Football match today than for the England-Fiji match.

Is there a reason why you excluded this event from your list of sports that leave football in the shade?
    No reason other than I was unaware of it. So, in the British Isles this weekend, the two sports with the highest single-match attendances are both not Association Football?
  • Just had to google jump the shark - Like that !

It's all gloom ! Charlton are ( I feel like a bowl of petunias - oh no not again) terrible - Corbyn is terrible ( been eaten, passed through and left the shark) we have ten more years of Tory rule, I'm fifty soon, and I sat in a "pub" recently where the rival gangs of Man City and Liverpool fans (in Sittingbourene fffs!) jeered each other and I have just crashed out of the September Dryathalon

Everything has jumped the shark!
  • IAIA
    edited September 2015
    Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

I don't see why the football is less important than the F1. It's rubbish to watch nowadays and a prime example of a sport that has jumped the shark.

It would be interesting to see the relative worldwide viewing figures for those four sports this weekend. There are millions of F1 fans across Europe and Asia who, this weekend, couldn't care less about English football. That's got to be a worry for the Premier League.

Likewise, this same weekend, the highest attendance have been for rugby matches, not football matches.

If football is losing out to other sports in terms of tv and live audiences, does that mean it's time for change?
    There was a higher attendance for the Gaelic Football match today than for the England-Fiji match.

Is there a reason why you excluded this event from your list of sports that leave football in the shade?
    No reason other than I was unaware of it.
    OK.

Can you apply that logic for rugby, tennis and F1? Obviously you're aware of them, but how about other people around the world? For the tennis and F1, you wouldn't need to look around the world - within the UK would be enough.
  • IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

OK.

Can you apply that logic for rugby, tennis and F1? Obviously you're aware of them, but how about other people around the world? For the tennis and F1, you wouldn't need to look around the world - within the UK would be enough.
    I've read this post a few times and I'm honestly baffled as to what is you're asking.
  • Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

OK.

I've read this post a few times and I'm honestly baffled as to what is you're asking.
    You were unaware of an event that would have been very big for its fans, even though its attendance was higher than the rugby match you cited as the main sporting event of the weekend.

Do you think there might be a large number of people who were unaware of the Davis Cup semi-finals, Rugby World Cup and Singapore Grand Prix? For the RWC, you might have to look worldwide, possibly to any one of the biggest 8 nations in the world. But for the Davis Cup and Singapore Grand Prix, it wouldn't be hard to find many many people in the UK who don't know/care about them. I was only aware of the Davis Cup because of a thread on here. I saw an ad for the Singapore GP, but it could have been next week or whenever, I didn't pay attention to the ad.

Just because these other events were bigger for you than the Premier League matches doesn't mean that the same applies to others.

Going back to the Gaelic Football match. It was the final, so the biggest Irish sporting event of the year. I walked past an Irish pub today in a European city. It had a blackboard outside listing which sporting events would be on the TV screens through the day. All three Premier League matches, obviously.
  • C_A_F_C said:

England v Fiji (Rugby World Cup 2015)

Peak: 9.4m
    Match Average: 8.7m
    Overall Average: 7.8m

England v Uruguay (Football World Cup 2014)

Peak: 20.29m
    Match Average: 18.51m
    Overall Average: 13.29m

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/sep/19/england-fiji-rugby-world-cup-tv-ratings
    http://deadline.com/2014/06/world-cup-ratings-england-uruguay-is-biggest-uk-tv-audience-since-2012-olympics-793635/

Even the opening match of the 2014 World Cup not featuring England comfortably beat Rugby.
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jun/13/itv-world-cup-tv-ratings-brazil-croatia

This post should have been the end of the thread.

Is going for a Sunday drive even a sport?
  • Chizz said:

There are three Premiership games today, involving three of the biggest "pulls" in football: Spurs, Liverpool and Man United.

Yet, a dispassionate, honest look at today's sporting fixtures shows that football isn't even in the day's top-three most-important sports.

A resurgent GB has fought its way to the Davis Cup Final, the world's top team tennis event. Britain's Lewis Hamilton has been battling Germany's Sebastien Vettel in the F1 GP in Singapore. While the Rugby World Cup continues to focus the attention of sports fans across the Commonwealth and beyond.

The Premier League is - at best - the fourth most important sporting event today. Is this a portent of football's fading relevance?

Didn't watch one iota of the above mentioned, match of the day 2, that was it.
  • Chizz said:

Chiz, you can see that you're comparing an international, world cup fixture to a domestic one right?

You do understand that league rugby attendances are abysmal, yes?

No, I am comparing today's football fixture list, with the other, more important sporting events taking place today.

Attendance is *one of* the measures. And, while the Premier League attendances are better than those at the David Cup, they're lower than - for example - England's RWC, which was probably on a par with the Singapore GP attendance.

Lots of people continue to trot out the line that the Premier League is the most exciting, well-attended, most-watched sport in the world. I hope those people are removed from senior positions in the Premier League before the truth becomes painfully apparent.
    Not for fans of Man Utd, Soton, Palace and Spurs. I get where you are coming from Chizz in terms of the over hyped premiership and what some might see as a certain arrogance that it has, but the comparative examples you are giving aren't like for like. If London Wasps (think they're a team) played Harlequins and got better figures then yes, you could say Rugby might be overtaking football in popularity etc
  • IA said:

Chizz said:

It wasn't any old match though was it? It was the fecking final. That aside, I could write a list of reasons a mile long as to why it wasn't worth including. Not the least being what else was there to do anywhere in Ireland, let alone the capital city? When you're the only game in town.....
  • I think many - and perhaps the OP - has missed what jumping the shark actually means.
    It doesn't mean that the TV programme, sport or whatever is failing to attract an audience. It means it is using increasingly desperate attempts to retain its huge audience share.
    Is football at that stage? Probably not, quite. However there can be no doubt that the increasing numbers of foreign star attractions in the PL as a draw for supporters and/or the increasing importance of not get relegated because of the massive financial consequences, the almost entirely separate squads for league, cup and European matches, are, I think, an indication that the aforementioned shark might be waiting just under the surface.
    Personally, I'm beginning to wonder whether all those expensive foreign imports (and some of the cheaper ones Charlton have) are really all that. It may be that the pre-Sky highlight programmes such The Big Match and Match of the Day deeply distorted the actual quality of the football played. But the wall-to-wall live match coverage which allows us to watch so-called Superstars miskick the ball into touch just like the worst of us, does after a while, begin to jade the palate.
    When the football, of itself, is no longer a sufficient attraction and you need kids activity areas, sofas, multiple costumed mascots, live big screen coverage and other hooks, it is easy to imagine the smile on the Great White's face: I'm coming for you and my name is Jeremy Kyle, he'll be thinking.
  • Sponsored links:

• When England play their opening match at Euro 2016 or at the next world cup, i hope Chizz will be back to compare the tv viewing figures and attendance of either game against that of say Harlequins v Saracens that weekend.
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

But it is not. And it never will.
    Here are some facts. The highest TV audience for any Premier League match last season was 3.1m, for the game between Man United and Chelsea in October. The highest attendance this weekend was Man City v West Ham, where 53.545 turned up.

80,015 turned up at Twickenham to watch England play Fiji. 7.56m watched on TV.

So, are you still sure that football isn't losing out to other sports in terms of tv and live audiences? "And never will"?

It's a so called world cup.

It's was on free to view tv.

What was the attendance for the last fairly meaningless England qualifier at Wembley and the TV figures for the same? That would be a vaguely fair comparison.
    What I am looking to compare is the Premier League against all other sports. A few years ago, (it seemed) there was no comparison. Now, it looks like the Premier League is struggling to prove its importance.
    Only to you, it seems.
  • When England play their opening match at Euro 2016 or at the next world cup, i hope Chizz will be back to compare the tv viewing figures and attendance of either game against that of say Harlequins v Saracens that weekend.

Euro 2016 is in the summer. The rugby union guys will be on their holidays.
  • I would probably say that this is my most favourite social networking site. It gives me far more than Facebook, twitter and instagram etc. CL certainly isn't as popular as any of these in terms of members, but for me it is better. I'm not being facetious here chizz for the sake of it, I just think you can only truly say the Prem's popularity is on the wane if an equivalent domestic sport's two teams get better figures
  • Hate this debate, love both sports, the RWC has been fantastic so far, but the Premier League games this weekend have been great to. All gets a bit class war and pious whenever it comes up
  • Rothko said:

Hate this debate, love both sports, the RWC has been fantastic so far, but the Premier League games this weekend have been great to. All gets a bit class war and pious whenever it comes up

I see what you mean Rothko. All my office likes Rugby, I don't. Always respect people's choices though. I've tried to get into it previously, I just can't. I would never ever say one is better than the other or pigeonhole the types of people that are likely to prefer rugby over football. Each to their own etc. it's why I would never go on the rugby WC thread, I've no business being there. Let those that enjoy it have a thread to talk about it
  • cafcfan said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

It wasn't any old match though was it? It was the fecking final. That aside, I could write a list of reasons a mile long as to why it wasn't worth including. Not the least being what else was there to do anywhere in Ireland, let alone the capital city? When you're the only game in town.....
    I think you're missing my point, which I explained in a later post.

My point is that Chizz excluded it because of his implicit bias/lack of awareness. If he looked around, he would find that a lot of people would have a similar lack of awareness of the sports he considers to be above football.

In the European country I was in at the weekend, the Rugby World Cup was not a relevant or interesting event. I doubt they would even know what the Davis Cup is, never mind be interested in Belgium v Argentina (?) in it. The Premier League though was shown in various pubs, with lots of locals interested.
  • IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

OK.

You were unaware of an event that would have been very big for its fans, even though its attendance was higher than the rugby match you cited as the main sporting event of the weekend.

Do you think there might be a large number of people who were unaware of the Davis Cup semi-finals, Rugby World Cup and Singapore Grand Prix? For the RWC, you might have to look worldwide, possibly to any one of the biggest 8 nations in the world. But for the Davis Cup and Singapore Grand Prix, it wouldn't be hard to find many many people in the UK who don't know/care about them. I was only aware of the Davis Cup because of a thread on here. I saw an ad for the Singapore GP, but it could have been next week or whenever, I didn't pay attention to the ad.

Just because these other events were bigger for you than the Premier League matches doesn't mean that the same applies to others.

Going back to the Gaelic Football match. It was the final, so the biggest Irish sporting event of the year. I walked past an Irish pub today in a European city. It had a blackboard outside listing which sporting events would be on the TV screens through the day. All three Premier League matches, obviously.
    Those events weren't bigger, for me. They are just more important, globally, than the three Premier League matches. That's why the football results and stories were widely relegated below those other three on the news, on newspapers, on websites, etc.

I wanted to highlight where it seems obvious - to me, at least - that the Premier League's "crown" as the world's best-loved sporting competition has slipped. Formula 1 has a massive following across Europe and is dramatically increasing in the far east. The RWC is of more importance this week, this month and next month, than the Premier League. Next Saturday, for instance, the Premier League will again be relegated by the media below the RWC. Even the tennis (tennis! No-one bothers with tennis!) got more column inches and TV news time than most of the Premier League items on the news.
  • IA said:

cafcfan said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

My point is that Chizz excluded it because of his implicit bias/lack of awareness. If he looked around, he would find that a lot of people would have a similar lack of awareness of the sports he considers to be above football.

In the European country I was in at the weekend, the Rugby World Cup was not a relevant or interesting event. I doubt they would even know what the Davis Cup is, never mind be interested in Belgium v Argentina (?) in it. The Premier League though was shown in various pubs, with lots of locals interested.
    It's not what *I* think is more important! The news media coverage of sport this weekend has shown that the Premier League - right in the middle of the football season - is not the most important sport this weekend; neither is it the second most important; in fact it's not in the top three.

I am not telling you what I think; this is what the news media are demonstrating. I disagree (to me, the Premier League is always more important than a Davis Cup Semi-Final). I am just very surprised to see the extent to which the Premier League's importance has been shown to decline.
  • I watched Chelsea v Arsenal and thought the standard was pretty poor in comparison to what's it's been in the past. If they are two of the best teams in the country, standards have really slipped. So little good play. So much BS.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

OK.

Those events weren't bigger, for me. They are just more important, globally, than the three Premier League matches. That's why the football results and stories were widely relegated below those other three on the news, on newspapers, on websites, etc.

I wanted to highlight where it seems obvious - to me, at least - that the Premier League's "crown" as the world's best-loved sporting competition has slipped. Formula 1 has a massive following across Europe and is dramatically increasing in the far east. The RWC is of more importance this week, this month and next month, than the Premier League. Next Saturday, for instance, the Premier League will again be relegated by the media below the RWC. Even the tennis (tennis! No-one bothers with tennis!) got more column inches and TV news time than most of the Premier League items on the news.
    But I still think you're comparing apples with oranges. The F1 takes place in places like Bahrain etc, they don't (to my knowledge) have a football history. you can't compare our domestic game with an international sport re viewing figures and say one is more important based on that. It's subjective.

I get the wider point about the prem not being as popular as it may be perceived to be (for you anyway)
  • Of all the bollocks i've read over the years on this site (usually my own), this thread takes the title hands down. Comparing an WC opener on terrestrial tv to a Prem Game on a subscription channel....classic Jizz WUM.
  • Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

OK.

List of the 8 largest countries of the world, population in millions

China 1372
    India 1277
    United States 322
    Indonesia 255
    Brazil 205
    Pakistan 191
    Nigeria 182
    Bangladesh 159

From this list of countries - total population just under 4 billion persons - can you please estimate the number of people who would be interested in the Rugby World Cup?

Also, please estimate the number of people who would be interested in a Davis Cup semi-final between Great Britain and Australia.

Or how many British people were watching the Davis Cup semi-final between Belgium and whoever.

This thread is entirely about what you think is more important or more interesting. You just don't seem to be aware of your own bias.
  • IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

OK.

China 1372
    India 1277
    United States 322
    Indonesia 255
    Brazil 205
    Pakistan 191
    Nigeria 182
    Bangladesh 159

From this list of countries - total population just under 4 billion persons - can you please estimate the number of people who would be interested in the Rugby World Cup?

Also, please estimate the number of people who would be interested in a Davis Cup semi-final between Great Britain and Australia.

Or how many British people were watching the Davis Cup semi-final between Belgium and whoever.

This thread is entirely about what you think is more important or more interesting. You just don't seem to be aware of your own bias.
    Scary the populations of India and China.
  • cabbles said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

OK.

China 1372
    India 1277
    United States 322
    Indonesia 255
    Brazil 205
    Pakistan 191
    Nigeria 182
    Bangladesh 159

Bangladesh is the one that always surprises me. Bigger population than Russia. Smaller in area than Uruguay.
  • IA said:

cabbles said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

OK.

China 1372
    India 1277
    United States 322
    Indonesia 255
    Brazil 205
    Pakistan 191
    Nigeria 182
    Bangladesh 159

Bangladesh is the one that always surprises me. Bigger population than Russia. Smaller in area than Uruguay.
    Do we have any lifers in that part of the world? I know I'm taking this way off topic (I don't think anyone will mind though), but just interested to know if the governments of India/China have any policies on this.

I thought both were roughly at 1billion, not that much!
  • So this is about what sport Chizz feels is important.

No one watches tennis, unless its Wimbledon, Rugby is having its WC, so no one will watch it again afterwards.

Football is King, it always has been and it always will be. Theres Football and then theres the rest.

I love motorbike racing, so heres a stat.

Attendances for Moto GP
    115.000 average with Spain hitting 206,000.

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/75070/1/115000-average-attendance-at-each-motogp.html

• Chizz said:

IA said:

cafcfan said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

It's not what *I* think is more important! The news media coverage of sport this weekend has shown that the Premier League - right in the middle of the football season - is not the most important sport this weekend; neither is it the second most important; in fact it's not in the top three.

I am not telling you what I think; this is what the news media are demonstrating. I disagree (to me, the Premier League is always more important than a Davis Cup Semi-Final). I am just very surprised to see the extent to which the Premier League's importance has been shown to decline.
    None of them are "important", but of all the unimportant things...
  • blockquote>

Fck me, if ever there was a case for Sky Tv to be given away free......

• IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

IA said:

Chizz said:

OK.

China 1372
    India 1277
    United States 322
    Indonesia 255
    Brazil 205
    Pakistan 191
    Nigeria 182
    Bangladesh 159

You're wrong. I think football is more important than tennis, in at least fifty weeks every year. However, the newspapers, news websites and TV and radio news broadcasts have "demoted" the Premiers League this weekend to a position lower than tennis, than F! and than rugby. Is that so hard to comprehend?