Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Has football jumped the shark?

Comments

• Didn't realise how much football had been on the wane for me. Even when it's on the telly in front of me I find myself drifting away and never watch a game from start to finish. Don't know if thats because its become pretty dull and predictable or just a lifetime of watching it has taken its toll. Think I'd struggle to tell you who won the leagues in the last 3 or 4 years.
    In my younger years you could even say I was a bit of a statto but it just ain't doing it for me no more!
  • Chizz said:

I don't see why the football is less important than the F1. It's rubbish to watch nowadays and a prime example of a sport that has jumped the shark.

If football is losing out to other sports in terms of tv and live audiences, does that mean it's time for change?
    But it is not. And it never will.
    Here are some facts. The highest TV audience for any Premier League match last season was 3.1m, for the game between Man United and Chelsea in October. The highest attendance this weekend was Man City v West Ham, where 53.545 turned up.

80,015 turned up at Twickenham to watch England play Fiji. 7.56m watched on TV.

So, are you still sure that football isn't losing out to other sports in terms of tv and live audiences? "And never will"?

• Major tournaments deliver huge rating, helped by being on free to air TV. Nothing will beat England football matches at the WC or Euros, but the England Fiji match got 9.4m which is pretty impressive!
  • edited September 2015
    1StevieG said:

Chizz said:

I don't see why the football is less important than the F1. It's rubbish to watch nowadays and a prime example of a sport that has jumped the shark.

It would be interesting to see the relative worldwide viewing figures for those four sports this weekend. There are millions of F1 fans across Europe and Asia who, this weekend, couldn't care less about English football. That's got to be a worry for the Premier League.

Likewise, this same weekend, the highest attendance have been for rugby matches, not football matches.

If football is losing out to other sports in terms of tv and live audiences, does that mean it's time for change?
    I am not a rugby fan but surely you would expect the rugby matches to be the highest attended games as it is a World Cup. If people are losing interest in football then it is probably because of the antics that twats like Costa bring to the game.

The point of the thread is to highlight the extent to which Premier League football has plummeted in terms of importance and how it has captured the public's imagination and share-of-wallet.

I seem to remember (whether this is true or not) the Premier League was always the most important or one of the most important two events of any weekend. This weekend it seems not to be in the top three. Is it going to keep plummeting?
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Here are some facts. The highest TV audience for any Premier League match last season was 3.1m, for the game between Man United and Chelsea in October. The highest attendance this weekend was Man City v West Ham, where 53.545 turned up.

So, are you still sure that football isn't losing out to other sports in terms of tv and live audiences? "And never will"?

It's a so called world cup.

It's was on free to view tv.

What was the attendance for the last fairly meaningless England qualifier at Wembley and the TV figures for the same? That would be a vaguely fair comparison.

We get this every few years. Football is waning and is about to be replaced. Hockey, Athletics, cricket etc etc when those sports have their day in the sun.

Rightly or wrongly football is MORE popular and gets bigger crowds now than it has for decades and is more popular than all then other sports in the UK put together.

More people esp kids play football, watch football live and on TV. That may not be a good thing but that is how it is.

The premier league TV deal is getting bigger not smaller.

• Chizz said:

Chizz said:

The England/Fiji example is a bit misleading because it was also the Opening Ceremony of the Rugby World Cup. Also Man City play nearly every week, whereas England only play their first match of a Rugby World Cup every 4 years, and Twickenham has a higher capacity than the Etihad, also the England Rugby Team has a bigger following who are willing to travel to the stadium than Man City and West Ham.

Also, no one seriously believes the Premier League is the most important sporting contest on the planet, it is just hype by Sky.
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Absolutely. As someone has already pointed out most top Rugby Union matches struggle to match League 1 attendances. Also, if the Chelsea v Arsenal game had been switched to Twickenham with a weeks notice they would have had 80,000 turn up.

You are comparing apples and oranges.
  • Fiiish said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

The England/Fiji example is a bit misleading because it was also the Opening Ceremony of the Rugby World Cup. Also Man City play nearly every week, whereas England only play their first match of a Rugby World Cup every 4 years, and Twickenham has a higher capacity than the Etihad, also the England Rugby Team has a bigger following who are willing to travel to the stadium than Man City and West Ham.

Also, no one seriously believes the Premier League is the most important sporting contest on the planet, it is just hype by Sky.

That's exactly right. You could hype up the rugby WC final all you want to me, and even if it was England, but if Charlton were playing at exactly the same time my thoughts, concerns and energy would be whole heartedly channeled to the Charlton game.
  • Spurs beating palace 1-0
    Soton 2 man Utd 3

It may not be the highest quality but there's enough excitement to keep me tuning in for more

• Chizz said:

Chizz said:

What was the attendance for the last fairly meaningless England qualifier at Wembley and the TV figures for the same? That would be a vaguely fair comparison.
    What I am looking to compare is the Premier League against all other sports. A few years ago, (it seemed) there was no comparison. Now, it looks like the Premier League is struggling to prove its importance.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd rather watch Newport vs Exeter than a rugby game. no joke
  • Fiiish said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

I see. So, as well as atempting to disprove all the facts I put forward in support of my premise, you also agree that the premise is right. Great.
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

What I am looking to compare is the Premier League against all other sports. A few years ago, (it seemed) there was no comparison. Now, it looks like the Premier League is struggling to prove its importance.
    No, you've moved the posts.

You said FOOTBALL had jumped the shark not the premier league.

The premier league isn't struggling at all. It is selling out it grounds every week not just for one off games every 4 years.
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Absolutely. As someone has already pointed out most top Rugby Union matches struggle to match League 1 attendances. Also, if the Chelsea v Arsenal game had been switched to Twickenham with a weeks notice they would have had 80,000 turn up.

You are comparing apples and oranges.
    So, I show you that the biggest football attendances and TV viewing figures are smaller than this weekend's rugby audiences and viewing figures. And you agree "absolutely" that it means that football isn't losing out. Got it.
  • Chiz, you can see that you're comparing an international, world cup fixture to a domestic one right?

You do understand that league rugby attendances are abysmal, yes?

• Guys, it's Sunday night. Watch a film, eat a pizza, laze about semi-conscious. Football will still be there in the morning.
  • Chiz, you can see that you're comparing an international, world cup fixture to a domestic one right?

No, I am comparing today's football fixture list, with the other, more important sporting events taking place today.

Attendance is *one of* the measures. And, while the Premier League attendances are better than those at the David Cup, they're lower than - for example - England's RWC, which was probably on a par with the Singapore GP attendance.

Lots of people continue to trot out the line that the Premier League is the most exciting, well-attended, most-watched sport in the world. I hope those people are removed from senior positions in the Premier League before the truth becomes painfully apparent.
  • Leuth said:

Guys, it's Sunday night. Watch a film, eat a pizza, laze about semi-conscious. Football will still be there in the morning.

... we hope.
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

No, you've moved the posts.

You said FOOTBALL had jumped the shark not the premier league.

The premier league isn't struggling at all. It is selling out it grounds every week not just for one off games every 4 years.
    No I didn't. I asked a question. You're responding in the negative. Absolutely fair to hold that position.
  • Chizz said:

Chiz, you can see that you're comparing an international, world cup fixture to a domestic one right?

No, I am comparing today's football fixture list, with the other, more important sporting events taking place today.

Attendance is *one of* the measures. And, while the Premier League attendances are better than those at the David Cup, they're lower than - for example - England's RWC, which was probably on a par with the Singapore GP attendance.

Lots of people continue to trot out the line that the Premier League is the most exciting, well-attended, most-watched sport in the world. I hope those people are removed from senior positions in the Premier League before the truth becomes painfully apparent.
    Of course EPL senior executives say that their league is the best, it's their job. Same reason why the executives of all the tabloids claim their newspaper is the best newspaper, it's all PR nonsense.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd rather watch Newport vs Exeter than a rugby game. no joke

I would rather watch the grass grow than watch egg chasing.

• Ok well on the opening fixture of Euro 2016, we'll have another comparison between that game and some league rugby fixture.

Then Chizz you can conclude that rugby is dead.

I haven't "concluded" anything!
  • Chizz said:

There are three Premiership games today, involving three of the biggest "pulls" in football: Spurs, Liverpool and Man United.

Yet, a dispassionate, honest look at today's sporting fixtures shows that football isn't even in the day's top-three most-important sports.

A resurgent GB has fought its way to the Davis Cup Final, the world's top team tennis event. Britain's Lewis Hamilton has been battling Germany's Sebastien Vettel in the F1 GP in Singapore. While the Rugby World Cup continues to focus the attention of sports fans across the Commonwealth and beyond.

The Premier League is - at best - the fourth most important sporting event today. Is this a portent of football's fading relevance?

• Chizz said:

1StevieG said:

Chizz said:

It would be interesting to see the relative worldwide viewing figures for those four sports this weekend. There are millions of F1 fans across Europe and Asia who, this weekend, couldn't care less about English football. That's got to be a worry for the Premier League.

Likewise, this same weekend, the highest attendance have been for rugby matches, not football matches.

I am not a rugby fan but surely you would expect the rugby matches to be the highest attended games as it is a World Cup. If people are losing interest in football then it is probably because of the antics that twats like Costa bring to the game.

The point of the thread is to highlight the extent to which Premier League football has plummeted in terms of importance and how it has captured the public's imagination and share-of-wallet.

I seem to remember (whether this is true or not) the Premier League was always the most important or one of the most important two events of any weekend. This weekend it seems not to be in the top three. Is it going to keep plummeting?
    Take a look at the back pages of most papers this weekend and see if the Davis Cup, Rugby or F1 take up the most coverage. I bet the Arsenal Chelsea game takes up most of the space. And I would think most TV's in bars in places like Asia and Europe are showing the Premier League. So I have to disagree with the fact that interest in the Premier League is plummeting and it is still watched by millions around the world week in week out. It may not be the best in terms of overall quality but I would say more exciting than any other football league around the world.
  • Been indoors all day, haven't seen any sport at all, nor a shark come to that.
  • edited September 2015
    1StevieG said:

Chizz said:

1StevieG said:

Chizz said:

Take a look at the back pages of most papers this weekend and see if the Davis Cup, Rugby or F1 take up the most coverage. I bet the Arsenal Chelsea game takes up most of the space. And I would think most TV's in bars in places like Asia and Europe are showing the Premier League. So I have to disagree with the fact that interest in the Premier League is plummeting and it is still watched by millions around the world week in week out. It may not be the best in terms of overall quality but I would say more exciting than any other football league around the world.
    One of the things that prompted me to start this thread was seeing the huge coverage of the rugby (Japan v S Africa), dominating the sports section of today's paper.
  • Chizz said:

There was a higher attendance for the Gaelic Football match today than for the England-Fiji match.

Is there a reason why you excluded this event from your list of sports that leave football in the shade?