Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

***Naby Sarr signed on 5 year deal*** (Ed. Gone)

Comments

• Options
    Djimi Traore also played in and won the Champions league, he didn't exactly set the world alight when he got here! Sarr is young and I am optimistic about this signing.

I think it is going to be an exciting season with some players performing better/worse than expected. Same as every season really, but good to see some ambition and some money being pumped in to the club. Exciting year ahead I feel!
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

http://footyroom.com/maribor-1-1-sporting-lisbon-2014-09/

Link to the reason a few Sporting fans don't like him

Go to 3:38 for the offending moment

That's the other defender's fuckup fgs
  • Options

We'll just have to wait and see.

One thing i've learned during the Roland era is that some people will get automatically excited about signing a player from abroad, that they've never really heard of or have a clue how good he is, or how suited to the English game. Its a lot more exciting signing a French player from a Portugese club than signing a Scotsman from Wigan. Reza and Polish Pete clipped my wings in that sense.

Lots of risks have been taken with the summer transfer dealings; we are still a fair bit down on numbers compared to last season, and we've so far put all our eggs into the overseas basket. RD is putting a lot of fair into the ability of his European scouting network to deliver.

Have not got a clue how this will go, but welcome to Charlton Nobby

I wonder if anybody knows how many players we have brought in as a recommendation from Phil Chapple?
    Bless Chaps, he did a job, but if he recommended a centre back it wouldn't fill me with confidence!
    On the other hand Chapple would be ideal in gushing whether a CB would be up to the physicality of the English game. Silky skills aren't everything:-)
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Ben18 said:

Yep, though it wasn't a great header.
    Reminds me of one Morrison mistake for the massives that they hated him for and he turned out alright.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Concerned when we don't sign anyone, concened when we do sign someone.

If nothing else our fans are at least consistent.

Well that is ridiculous isn't it? We would be allowed to be disappointed if we were desperate for a striker last year then signed Dele Adebola. Clearly we want bodies in defence in particular (so I don't mind this transfer) but just because we want new players in it doesn't mean we want people who come in with bad reviews on a really long contract. I'm not writing him off already by any means but the amount of Sporting fans who are pointing out him being awful isn't encouraging.
  • Options
    So do we reckon that's that then or are their one or two more signings on the horizon?
  • Options

So do we reckon that's that then or are their one or two more signings on the horizon?

two more, maybe
  • Options

two more, maybe
    Maybe. Was the fee for Sarr undisclosed like all the other signings?
  • Options

two more, maybe
    Reckon a winger, and someone who can cover right back and centre back ideally?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

two more, maybe
    Reckon a winger, and someone who can cover right back and centre back ideally?
    Could we do with another striker? We have Big Mak, Watt and a not fully fit Igor as our main ones, with KAG and Pigott as backup. If Igor still isn't right I'm not sure it's enough.
  • Options
    Whatever happened to Oguchi Onyewu? He actually played half a season or so for Sporting Lisbon a couple of years back and looked OK in the one game I saw of him for Charlton. Never knew why he never got anywhere near the side besides that.
  • Options

Concerned when we don't sign anyone, concened when we do sign someone.

If nothing else our fans are at least consistent.

Well that is ridiculous isn't it? We would be allowed to be disappointed if we were desperate for a striker last year then signed Dele Adebola. Clearly we want bodies in defence in particular (so I don't mind this transfer) but just because we want new players in it doesn't mean we want people who come in with bad reviews on a really long contract. I'm not writing him off already by any means but the amount of Sporting fans who are pointing out him being awful isn't encouraging.
    Are you really comparing a French U21, with Champions League experience signing to signing Dele Adebola?

If you want to worry about a few numpties spouting off on social media you carry on.

If he plays 20 games and is a cart-horse I'll worry about it then.
  • Options
    Has to be better than Miguel Llera and Doherty?
  • Options
    Not only is Sarr young, Madz, but so are the other players we brought in this summer. I only hope the supporters give them time to settle, if it was one of our academy lads, people would say "they are too young, and must be given time".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

Ben18 said:

Agree entirely... There's no way you're blaming that on a 20 year old who probably felt his more esteemed defensive partner would have dealt with a simple header without issue.

I mean Mauricio had been a pro a few years longer than Sarr...
  • Options
    Maybe the sellers are just frustrated we are not using their correct name? They have just tweeted: "we are Sporting Clube de Portugal, not Sporting Lisbon"
  • Options

dabos said:

He's played 6 of Sporting's last 35 games, all in the Portuguese Cup. Obviously Sporting are much better than us so can't expect him to get many games there, but I think we need to contain our excitement a bit here as @AKFABartram says

so? He played in the CL early season and then displaced by maybe a better player. Like writing off John Stones who plays only six games this season because Terry and Cahill are ahead of him.

Went to a BBQ with Cahill's missus and kids the other day - just saying
  • Options

Maybe the sellers are just frustrated we are not using their correct name? They have just tweeted: "we are Sporting Clube de Portugal, not Sporting Lisbon"

That's fine but they're not the only sporting club in portugal.

They are I believe the only professional sporting club in lisbon though.

So I will call them Sporting Lisbon, purely for geographic correctness.
  • Options
    Very happy with this one, would still like another centre back though.
  • Options
    Growing in numbers
    Growing in speed
    Can't fight the future
    Can't fight what I see

People they come together
    People they fall apart
    No one can stop us now
    'Cause we have Naby Sarr
  • Options
    Naby Sarr
    From his toes his head is very far
    He's sticking out the sunroof of his car OR He has to watch out for the cro-ossbar
    Oh I believe in Naby Sarr
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

With him, Cellabos and Ba signing it looks like we're taking the football manager approach of signing youngsters and bringing them through together... Give it 6 years we will have won the champions league :')

need to get one or two older players with high mental stats to get some decent tutoring going on ;)