Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your Top Five... Boring Spectator Sports

Comments

• Options

Will never understand the UFC boxing hype either. Two half naked blokes cuddling each other until one taps his hand on the floor. Yeah it has some good knockouts but so does Dartford High Street on a saturday night. I always feel like people wanna like it just to sound hard.

I do think people are getting boring mixed up with not liking a sport.
    Why would anyone like a sport that they thought was boring?
    There's sports I don't like, like limited over cricket and Ice Hockey but are they boring? Hardly.
    I guess I must just be a bit different then.

If I think a sport is exciting.....then I'll like it.

To use your example above....I personally find ice hockey boring and I therefore don't like it.

• Options
    Snooker by a country fcking mile (does this actually count as a sport???)
    F1, its all about the car rather than the skill of the driver over the season...
    Basketball... game played by muscled giants who aren't allowed to stop each other scoring. The only excitement comes in the last 30 seconds if the two teams are vaguely close
    Golf... same as everyone else. Okay to play, but dull dull dull to watch
    sychronised swimming... wtf??
    Athletics - I don't care, bores me senseless

And that isn't six, as I'm not counting snooker... it't not a sport... and neither is darts......
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Greenie said:

Cricket - unless having a drink while watching
    Rugby - no skill whatsoever unless you are a lard arse or can run fast
    F1 - real petrol heads who attend most forms of motor racing detest it
    Tour de France - even with the gear they're on its dull
    Baseball

Trying really hard not to bite here....
    I would be genuinely interested in a different point of view. My reasoning is that it's a catching sport, we naturally use our hands so no skill level in catching a ball that is thrown at you....!
    If you are a lump then you can do well because it's brawn versus brawn, again not skill just being a lump, also if you can run fast then you will do well, being able to run fast is not a skill you can or you can't? They even lift each other up at line outs.
    Also tactics and team plays are not skills they are rehearsed parts of a sport.
    So enlighten me!
  • Options
    F1
    Cricket
    Bowls
    Snooker
  • Options
    1. Basketball
    2. Basketball
    3. Basketball
    4. Basketball
    5. Rugby League

(For the record, Basketball takes places 6-20 as well).
  • Options
    Bizarre innit? Basketball is one of the world's most popular sports yet pretty much everyone on here would rather watch grass grow. Including me.

Making up the rest of my five:

All racket sports
    Most things reliant on a judges opinion but gymnastics especially
    Most fighting but especially judo
    Sailing just looks like a mess on the water with no clear winner but could be livened up with the judicious use of torpedoes

Funnily enough when the Olympics are on I can get really into pretty much all of them though.
  • Options
    I'd happily watch most sports. Even snooker!

But cricket... Man, what is that about? I like the Ashes because I hate Australians. You can't trust em.
    But I have no idea of whats going on. I try to look at the thread to see if we are winning and can't tell.

Wouldn't actively go out of my way to watch water polo/basketball/F1, but wouldn't switch it off if I was in the mood to watch sports.
  • Options
    F1
    Golf
    Sailing
    Horse Racing
    Eventing
  • Options
    Did you watch any of the last America's Cup? Sailing boats literally skimming on foils across San Francisco Bay, with Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge as backdrop, at speeds up to about 45 mph (70 kph), was a spectacular sight. Behind the scenes rule-bending by the Americans, tragic deaths in the preliminaries... definitely not boring.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Baseball

I would be genuinely interested in a different point of view. My reasoning is that it's a catching sport, we naturally use our hands so no skill level in catching a ball that is thrown at you....!
    If you are a lump then you can do well because it's brawn versus brawn, again not skill just being a lump, also if you can run fast then you will do well, being able to run fast is not a skill you can or you can't? They even lift each other up at line outs.
    So enlighten me!

Don't really want to get into a whole debate about rugby and slightly derail this thread as obviously some don't like it, and fair enough, but just because people use their hands naturally doesn't mean that some of the things these guys do on the ball, with the ball etc isn't incredibly skillful IMO. . I could think of tons of examples of outrageous pieces of skill, but have a have a look at a couple of these from the last few weeks and tell me it doesn't take skill...( I know they are both rugby league, but point is the same really and these are both very current. If you want union clips can also provide!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEorIWAGos0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUXTToojUxo
  • Options
    Golf
    American Football
    Baseball
    FI
    Basketball

I could suffer all f them every now and again, apart from Golf
  • Options

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Baseball

So enlighten me!

Don't really want to get into a whole debate about rugby and slightly derail this thread as obviously some don't like it, and fair enough, but just because people use their hands naturally doesn't mean that some of the things these guys do on the ball, with the ball etc isn't incredibly skillful IMO. . I could think of tons of examples of outrageous pieces of skill, but have a have a look at a couple of these from the last few weeks and tell me it doesn't take skill...( I know they are both rugby league, but point is the same really and these are both very current. If you want union clips can also provide!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEorIWAGos0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUXTToojUxo
    Thanks for posting. But I have to be really honest, I just cannot agree about skill, the first one maybe, it was an intuitive pass but the second he was running fast and jumped over the fella. But as you say it's the exception rather than the rule.
    Catching a ball passed to us (a ball that was designed for catching) negates any skill. The only skill I see in rugby is when a conversion takes place and if I want to watch a high level kicking game I'll watch Football. That said and I don't want to appear patronising is that some of the games can be exciting to the sports followers it does not tick any boxes for me.
    Btw I played rugby at school during games for 3 years so at least I gave it a go.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Dominoes
    Wrestling - both the fake entertainment stuff and the proper version like they do at the Olympics
    Fishing
    Three-day eventing - indeed, dressage, showjumping and cross-country in any combination or singly.
    Bog snorkling
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Italian Football
    Womens Football
    Womens Cricket
    Chess
    Italian Womens Football or cricket......

Chess is OK as a spectator sport if they have an analysis room with someone good explaining what's happening for those who can't work it out for themselves (i.e, most of us).
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I can watch any sport – so I tried to think of a sport I might turn over to watch Coronation Street instead. So it is going to have to be pretty boring to get in. Dressage definitely does that and Marathon running up there too. I suppose Chess in real time, but I did used to enjoy the BBC2 chess programme where the players commentated what they were thinking, so can’t put it in. Ice dancing doesn’t rock my boat but I can watch it in small doses every four years. No I think I have to stick with Dressage and Marathons.

I'm going to Belgium this weekend, and hopefully the football on offer won't be as boring as last year!
  • Options
    Interesting nobody (I don't think) has mentioned skiing. I used to hate it, and F1 until I went skiing myself, and also learned to drive, now I don't mind those sports at all. The downhill skiing is especially wondrous, the knees these people have must be made of spun steel.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    There is also a big difference between watching some sports on TV and watching them live. I took along a friend of mine to Friday practice (so not even the race) at Silverstone this year and he hated F1 normally. Stood him on the outside of the fastest corner of the circuit just as Hamilton came along at full pelt. Said it took his breath away - and he didnt realise just how violent the experience of driving / trying to control an F1 car must be.

I had the same experience with NFL. Went to Wembley to see a game and saw it in a whole new light.
  • Options
    Boxing - used to enjoy it but so over-hyped and every fight they really, really hate each other. Really

Rugger - League is almost bearable, Union is not.

F1 - Competitive tyre changing + most races decided by who gets ahead at the first bend.

• Options
    I love F1 - even when it is boring!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    F1
    Rugby - especially Union.
    Swimming
    Most American sports
    Horse Racing

I can understand people saying snooker but I used to play to a decent standard, which is why I watch it although I only watch the World Championship these days.
  • Options
    Can't believe someone said the marathon! Seeing a group of runners going at about 90% of flat out, waiting for one to squeeze the pace and who will crack? Fascinating. My 5 would include anything American and equestrian.

Found myself on holiday watching European Games and enjoying blind judo! How sad is that?
  • Options
    Mens golf
    Womens Golf
    Mixed Golf
    U-21 Golf
    Anything American.
  • Options
    Used to do archery and was properly into it. Easily the fullest sport to watch of them all. Otherwise, golf, swimming, dressage and show jumping
  • Options
    Am watching highlights of world fencing championships on Eurosport at moment....
  • Options
    Knitting
  • Options
    American Football
    Canadian Football (it's different to American Football apparently)
    Basketball
    Baseball
    Ice hockey

Oakster - coming up for 10 years of sporting & cultural assimilation on this side of the pond!

Having said that I do love Women's Roller Derby - two sets of Lycra clad big old birds trundling around an oval track on roller skates battering the hell out of each other to a soundtrack of retro rock & roll - a fine sporting spectacle
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Speedway/F 1: after the first corner where the excitement ?

American Football: Mobile chess between the adverts.

Baseball: Rounders Between the adverts.

Ice Hockey: Mass fighting on ice, like the boys on a Friday night.

Show jumping: Esoteric and Colourful(come on you reds) but still boring.

I sort of agree with the Speedway bit, especially with the club matches where you have 'heat leaders' which typically means only 2 guys in each race will will/contest the lead, however, the Grand Prix series has 4 riders , all of whom can win, and has produced some exceptional riding - and the current World Championship leader is British - Tai Woffinden. Its exceptional entertainment , and the British Speedway GP at Millenium Stadium is by far the noisiest sporting event I've ever been to.

You've clearly not been watching the Speedway Grand prix this season then...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMnIwrGTESA
  • Options
    Spent a lot of my time in hospital watching hndball trying to work out the attraction with it, I never did. It's like a game kids make up in the playground with a tennis ball.
  • Options
    Ferret Legging
    Cheese Rolling
    Chess Boxing
    Unicycle Polo
    Dog Surfing