Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chievo friendly in doubt ? (Cancelled, Bolton away now)

Comments

• jakecafc said:

So why are we travelling to Bolton rather than them travelling to us? Worst friendly you could imagine.

I imagine the two clubs tossed a coin and we won.

If there is a friendly worse, as a spectacle for fans, than Bolton away it is Bolton at home.

As a test of our championship mettle it should be a lot better than Chievo
    That also makes it a bit of an elephant trap, don't you think?
  • jakecafc said:

So why are we travelling to Bolton rather than them travelling to us? Worst friendly you could imagine.

I imagine the two clubs tossed a coin and we won.

If there is a friendly worse, as a spectacle for fans, than Bolton away it is Bolton at home.

As a test of our championship mettle it should be a lot better than Chievo
    That also makes it a bit of an elephant trap, don't you think?
    Yes but more for them as they play white (obscure chess reference there).

Doubt either club would have played a team in their own division by choice but with everyone else already tied up it was Hobson's choice.

And we're still playing Dagenham I believe.

Maybe Luzon knows that as most of the new players won't arrive until after the Bolton game it won't matter :-)
  • jakecafc said:

Police were concerned by the uproar it would cause on Bolton Life.
  • Bugger, already purchased advanced train tickets from Crewe, which are non refundable. So much for forward planning to save a few quid!
  • Apparently the motorways will be hell as the police have had a number of bomb threats from the IRA, could be touch and go for the fans travelling up there
  • WSS said:

Maybe Guy has a festival to go to like he did yesterday...

"two months without football for me is too much"
  • It's a shame we couldn't have found a way to play it on the Saturday instead
  • Think I will go to this. Interesting to see how many travel to this one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Those who have read Tim Park's excellent book on Italian football will know that Chievo are just a village side that could not be trusted.
  • sm said:

Those who have read Tim Park's excellent book on Italian football will know that Chievo are just a village side that could not be trusted.

They're from Verona from memory of the book.
  • Reminds me of playing championship manager, asking everyone for a friendly game, then when someone says yes, you flick them.
  • sm said:

Those who have read Tim Park's excellent book on Italian football will know that Chievo are just a village side that could not be trusted.

They're from Verona from memory of the book.
    Hellas yes - but Chievo is a village nearby that shares the stadium
  • He looks like I feel when my wife says lets go for a dance "feck off"
  • edited July 2015
    There's only one good thing about this fixture; it's away so there'll be no feeling of compulsion to go.
  • I'm still confused why we are playing a preseason game against a team in the same division as us?
  • I'm still confused why we are playing a preseason game against a team in the same division as us?

Do keep up
  • Sponsored links:

• I understand the reasons, but it seems a daft idea, why not somewhere a bit more local, I'm sure there'd be plenty of lower league clubs who'd love to play against us (Millwall) for a start.
  • I understand the reasons, but it seems a daft idea, why not somewhere a bit more local, I'm sure there'd be plenty of lower league clubs who'd love to play against us (Millwall) for a start.

I'm sure there would be but as our last pre-season game would you really want us playing Dartford or Heybridge Swifts etc? There is a reason why we play Welling first.
  • edited July 2015

I understand the reasons, but it seems a daft idea, why not somewhere a bit more local, I'm sure there'd be plenty of lower league clubs who'd love to play against us (Millwall) for a start.

The only reason Bolton were free that weekend is because Chievo also cancelled on them.

Millwall will already have opposition for that weekend. As will Palace and every other small club in London. ;-)

If you plan your pre season friendlies correctly as a football club, then ideally you want to gradually build up by playing stronger opposition as you go along. Okay, that does not always happen (and hasn't worked out this time) but to go into playing your last friendly against a serie a team, and then to have play a League One/Two at short notice is daft.

Playing a Bolton side, that we won't meet again until the middle of December is an excellent replacement at short notice.

Though I'm surprised the alarm bells were not ringing at the football club, when Verona had announced 3 friendlies in 3 days! Hope we didn't send them an appearance fee.
  • Said on Sky Sports News cancelled due to Operational Difficulties.
  • Was told this morning Bolton are paying all expenses (coach/hotel etc.) and letting Charlton use their training ground the day before and on the day of the game.

Good for the players as well if you ask me. If they leave after the game on Friday night, they'll get home at say 2am and be able to spend the rest of the weekend with their families.

Not ideal for our fans, but a good run out and test for the players a week before the season starts.
  • MrOneLung said:

Said on Sky Sports News cancelled due to Operational Difficulties.

That's a new train of thought.

• No decent signings, a purple!! Kit, and now an away trip to Bolton.

I do hope Katrien's on the train home from 't'Reebok'.
  • Mine On