Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The football's back... Welling vs Charlton 11/7/2015

Comments

• I wonder how much correlation there is between the welling result/performance and how well we've done in the following season? My guess would be "fuck all".

Last July we lost 2-0. Finished 12th in T2.

In 2013, we won 5-0. Finished 18th in T2.
    In 2012, we won 4-0. Finished 9th in T2.
    In 2011, we won 3-0. Finished 1st in T3.
    In 2010, we won 1-0. Finished 13th in T3.
    In 2009, we drew 1-1. Finished 4th in T3.
    In 2008, we won 1-0. Finished 24th in T2.
    In 2007, we won 2-0. Finished 11th in T2.
    In 2006, we lost 1-0. Finished 19th in T1.
  • Interview with Damian Matthew here.
    It's worth a read, especially for those, that don't understand, what a pre season friendly is for :smile:

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-welling-damian-matthew-reaction-2541012.aspx
  • IdleHans said:

dickplumb said:

colin1961 said:

That is what the owner of Welling said but he said it a week before the game so was most likely judging the gate on previous games ......

Barrie Hobbins is not the owner of Welling United.

Sounds like a JRR Tolkein character
    Lord of the Wings
    Superb!
  • edited July 2015

Interview with Damian Matthew here.
    It's worth a read, especially for those, that don't understand, what a pre season friendly is for :smile:

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-welling-damian-matthew-reaction-2541012.aspx

I was under the impression that pre-season games are to get the players match fit again after they have spent 2 months not playing, and to also help intergrate new members of the squad and to get them playing together in a cohesive unit - and not turn up on the first day of the season with your front 2 not knowing each other (ala Wanchope & Goater for Man City in the infamous 4-0 drubbing we gave them in Aug 2000)

This is why it makes sense you get your signings in early & not wait until Aug 31st when the transfer window ends.......in the same way as the "released" players know in late May. I wasn't too bothered that we hadn't sign many by now, but I wouid hope that by the time we play West Ham in 2 weeks time that we have signed another 6 or 7 players, otherwise I don't think too many on here will be happy our youth team getting mullered if W Ham bring a strong squad with them.
  • Don't you think it's peculiar that Ahearne-Grant, a rookie, scored twice in the first six minutes - and for the remaining 39 in the first half, with all the experienced professionals around, we reverted to type?

QPR first, then Derby away - then Hull at home. Our players are children. Don't you think it's about bloody time Charlton bought some good players and had a serious go at promotion?

From what I have been told, that is unlikely. We are still working to the unearthing a hidden (and cheap) diamond rather than paying for known ability at the going rate.
    You mean cheap Academy diamonds like Diego Poyet and Joe Gomez? When we unearth them all we do is sell them on!
  • Don't you think it's peculiar that Ahearne-Grant, a rookie, scored twice in the first six minutes - and for the remaining 39 in the first half, with all the experienced professionals around, we reverted to type?

QPR first, then Derby away - then Hull at home. Our players are children. Don't you think it's about bloody time Charlton bought some good players and had a serious go at promotion?

From what I have been told, that is unlikely. We are still working to the unearthing a hidden (and cheap) diamond rather than paying for known ability at the going rate.
    You mean cheap Academy diamonds like Diego Poyet and Joe Gomez? When we unearth them all we do is sell them on!

Don't you think it's peculiar that Ahearne-Grant, a rookie, scored twice in the first six minutes - and for the remaining 39 in the first half, with all the experienced professionals around, we reverted to type?

As we have since... well, always. I mean seriously. Jenkinson, Parker, Bowyer... we've always been a selling club in that sense. If Solly had two working knees week in week out he'd have gone too I am sure. It's not a new thing.
  • edited July 2015

Well, what a joke that was. I've never been to a pre-season at Welling to find so few first teamers..........even the 1st half team (which I assume was supposed to be a first 11) had Wiggins out of position, filling in because we have no wide men. Where were JJ, JBG, Vetokele, Bikey and the new "giant" up front ?? As for the 2nd half side - calling it a CAFC 11 would be a disservice. With the usual v.poor team announcer we had no idea who was who, apart from Piggott & Harriott - but that was mainly down to their usual in-effectiveness. What a waste of time & money and now I am really fearing the season ahead.

All I can say is that if RD wants to go down the route of playing the youth to sell on the occasional nugget then I wont go to PVR to watch a pre-season game anymore .........I'll just wait until we are playing there in a non-league game.

• Sponsored links:

• edited July 2015
    Changed your tune a bit golfie ?

Interview with Damian Matthew here.

I wasn't too bothered that we hadn't sign many by now, but I wouid hope that by the time we play West Ham in 2 weeks time that we have signed another 6 or 7 players, otherwise I don't think too many on here will be happy our youth team getting mullered if W Ham bring a strong squad with them.
  • colin1961 said:

Sorry guys but untrue I was speaking to Barrie Hobbins week ago and for the first time Charlton asked for 3000 to send a team to play at welling but still gave welling full gate money , programme , food and drink
    Barrie Hobbins was more then happy as he said we made a lot of money out of Charlton in the past and will make around 40k profit from the game yesterday
    West Ham who are not sending any first team players at all I a few weeks have asked half of everything to send a team ..

Not £40 grand profit at all, but rest is correct.

Welling are genuinely massively grateful to the club for their constant support of the friendly.

Judging by the youngsters queueing for selfies with Tony Watt and Big Simon, it's a very good local PR exercise also.

As my eldest son said it's one of the very few occasions you can get easy access to the players.

As a footnote, the staff at Charlton behind the scenes were a class act towards Welling.

Good to hear and proof that the club is not quite the PR disaster under Roland/Katrien that some would have us believe...
  • colin1961 said:

Sorry guys but untrue I was speaking to Barrie Hobbins week ago and for the first time Charlton asked for 3000 to send a team to play at welling but still gave welling full gate money , programme , food and drink
    Barrie Hobbins was more then happy as he said we made a lot of money out of Charlton in the past and will make around 40k profit from the game yesterday
    West Ham who are not sending any first team players at all I a few weeks have asked half of everything to send a team ..

Not £40 grand profit at all, but rest is correct.

Welling are genuinely massively grateful to the club for their constant support of the friendly.

Judging by the youngsters queueing for selfies with Tony Watt and Big Simon, it's a very good local PR exercise also.

As my eldest son said it's one of the very few occasions you can get easy access to the players.

As a footnote, the staff at Charlton behind the scenes were a class act towards Welling.

Good to hear and proof that the club is not quite the PR disaster under Roland/Katrien that some would have us believe...
    If you saw the amount of kids wanting photos with the players plus the great way the players deal with the fans it's not all gloom and doom, but I suppose it's what part of the club people deal with personally?

• Just had a thought... where was Zak Ansah?

who knows.......injured along with JJ, Mousa, Vetokele & Makeinok ??? leaving, along with Bikey ?? Rested due to international football along with JBG ?? choose your excuse.

who knows.......injured along with JJ, Mousa, Vetokele & Makeinok ??? leaving, along with Bikey ?? Rested due to international football along with JBG ?? choose your excuse.
    Moan On

Come on, Golfie ...... time for a little song:

"If life seems jolly rotten
    There's something you've forgotten
    And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
    When you're feeling in the dumps
    Don't be silly chumps
    Just purse your lips and whistle - that's the thing.

And...always look on the bright side of life...
    Always look on the light side of life... "

• I heard they are looking to bring in two Centre halves this week.

Although I hope they don't just to keep Golfie so perky and full of life.

Post of the day! Hopefully Katriene is reading his posts and on a deliberate wind-up.

If I was her I'd pull his season ticket from the mail out and deliberately wait until 2 days before QPR to send it.
  • Just read through this to kill some time. Some very funny comments.

Lord of the Wings is probably my favourite tho.

• Sponsored links:

• Only on here could the first bit of football of the pre season against a Conference side turn into a financial debate.