Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The football's back... Welling vs Charlton 11/7/2015

Comments

• Announced crowd of 2200 but I reckon it was more. Second half a non event really, first half we started well and sustained it OK. Jordan Cousins best player of the afternoon by a bit of a distance. KAG was good, the rest mehish.
    A huge amount to do to be ready.
  • If that volley from Fazackarley had gone in near the end it would of been goal of the season. Unreal hit. First twenty minutes we looked very good. karlan took both goals very well , watt was lively.the two new boys solid enough and solly and wiggins great going forward . Fox caught out a couple of times but not bad. Hendo had one save to make and did it with ease. Mo Farah Diarra looked good , and cousins looks to have bulked up. Stand out player was Charles-cook , very lively and based on that has a lot to offer over the next few years. Second half , was less exciting than pairing socks but overall it's nice to have football back .
  • Charles Cook the new Gomez?
  • Charles Cook the new Gomez?

Can see a big bid from Arsenal in January.

• A most enjoyable outing, aided and abetted by a few pre- and post-match pints in the 'Door Hinge', the little micro-pub on the High Street. Nice beer and well worth a visit.

A good first half, which Charlton completely controlled and must have had at least 70% of possession. Hard work for the home side, chasing the ball in that heat. KAG looked extremely sharp, Charles-Cook did very well, Cousins has grown in stature (both figuratively and literally), Ba looked competent and our two central defenders had a very comfortable time against a tepid Welling. Solly also enjoyed himself down the right. The only player who looked a little bit out of sorts to me was Rhoys Wiggins but he was, in fairness, being played out of position.

A very different game in the second half with so many changes and Welling gave it a go, hitting the woodwork twice, although we also had a couple of respectable chances. You can't really begin to judge players on what is essentially a training exercise, although I thought that our two young central defenders looked a little industrial at times and we urgently need reinforcements in that area, particularly as The Beast appears to be persona non grata. Joe Pigott showed some nice touches and I liked the look of Oliver Muldoon in central midfield.

All in all, a most acceptable way to pass a few gentle hours in the sun - plus you get to change ends at half time.
  • edited July 2015

Where were JJ, JBG, Vetokele, Bikey and the new "giant" up front ??

Still injured, rested after international duty, still injured, out of favour (won't be with the club next month if Luzon has his way), picked up an injury yesterday.
  • Well, what a joke that was. I've never been to a pre-season at Welling to find so few first teamers..........even the 1st half team (which I assume was supposed to be a first 11) had Wiggins out of position, filling in because we have no wide men. Where were JJ, JBG, Vetokele, Bikey and the new "giant" up front ?? As for the 2nd half side - calling it a CAFC 11 would be a disservice. With the usual v.poor team announcer we had no idea who was who, apart from Piggott & Harriott - but that was mainly down to their usual in-effectiveness. What a waste of time & money and now I am really fearing the season ahead.

All I can say is that if RD wants to go down the route of playing the youth to sell on the occasional nugget then I wont go to PVR to watch a pre-season game anymore .........I'll just wait until we are playing there in a non-league game.

Erm read the comments... JJ was never fit enough for today whilst Vetokele and Makineok had picked up slight niggles, JBG was rested following International Duty so other than that it was the first team that started.

Seeing that people have often complained about Wiggins not getting forward enough I thought that playing him at Left Mid was quite a good move because it allowed him to get forward (complying with fan wishes!!)
  • Vinnie V. said:

Great grandson of Captain.

No relation to Captain Hook.
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:

Who is Charles cook?

Brother of Thomas.
    Brother of Reice who is a goalkeeper. Also released by Arsenal and now with Coventry. Lewisham born.

Our son knows them from school - Forest Hill Boys, like Joe Gomez and Richard Rufus.
  • Was their guy loui fazakerley any good? I know him vaguely through work (unless its someone else with the same name...)
  • edited July 2015

Charles Cook the new Gomez?

Can see a big undisclosed bid from Arsenal in January.

• Sponsored links:

• colin1961 said:

So we learned what we already knew: we have a small squad and the players we do have are good enough to beat Welling. Marvellous. Now to get some more players in

We lost last year
    Eh? I must be getting old and my memory playing tricks. I'm sure that we won 4-1 last year with a pen in the last couple of minutes. obviously imagined that.
  • uie2 said:

I think it's gonna be Karlan Ahearn-Grants year this year! More first team starts more goals from a very exciting young striker!!

In training he is definitely seen as part of the 1st team set up. I am guessing that he is seen as the 4th striker for this season. That is the Roland way.
  • colin1961 said:

So we learned what we already knew: we have a small squad and the players we do have are good enough to beat Welling. Marvellous. Now to get some more players in

We lost last year
    Eh? I must be getting old and my memory playing tricks. I'm sure that we won 4-1 last year with a pen in the last couple of minutes. obviously imagined that.
    Yes it is. We lost 2-0 last year to a goal in each half...
  • colin1961 said:

We lost last year
    There you go then. All the years roll into one at my age.
  • colin1961 said:

We lost last year
    Year before perhaps; with a Piggott hatrick?
  • Igor was sat about 5 seats to my right in the old stand. Hate to say when he got up he looked as if he was walking with a limp.

I can also confirm that his missus (assume it was as she was sitting with him and had a shiny new wedding ring) is gorgeous....
  • GD78 said:

Igor was sat about 5 seats to my right in the old stand. Hate to say when he got up he looked as if he was walking with a limp.

I can also confirm that his missus (assume it was as she was sitting with him and had a shiny new wedding ring) is gorgeous....

Mrs Vetokele is a bit special. Instagram is a beautiful thing.

...good finishes from KAG today.
  • LuckyReds said:

colin1961 said:

We lost last year
    Year before perhaps; with a Piggott hatrick?
    That's the one. Wonder where that missing year went.

Back to today... I learnt that our first team can beat Welling and most of the kids aren't good enough at the moment to be near the first team. Also, Piggott is not the solution to our lack of forwards. Other than that, not much else. I didn't understand the split between 1st team in first half and youngsters in the second. Made the 2nd half really dull and not sure what Guy learnt from it.