Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The football's back... Welling vs Charlton 11/7/2015

Comments

• Is Kag that much improved?
  • razil said:

Is Kag that much improved?

He looked sharp. But it was against an almost static Welling defence.
  • GD78 said:

Igor was sat about 5 seats to my right in the old stand. Hate to say when he got up he looked as if he was walking with a limp.

I can also confirm that his missus (assume it was as she was sitting with him and had a shiny new wedding ring) is gorgeous....

Igor has had only 2 weeks off during the close season (to get married) The rest of time was rehab on his Achilles.
  • uie2 said:

I think it's gonna be Karlan Ahearn-Grants year this year! More first team starts more goals from a very exciting young striker!!

We may aswell just hold an auction between West Ham and Liverpool now.
  • razil said:

Is Kag that much improved?

must be, as he didnt feature at the end of last season when we were safe, but Luzon played Church & Co instead.

Bonkers..........

• edited July 2015
    Indeed but Church gone, others injured..
  • Peak Viewfinder achieved. *bows deferentially*
  • edited July 2015
    uie2 said:

I think it's gonna be Karlan Ahearn-Grants year this year! More first team starts more goals from a very exciting young striker!!

I really hope so, I thought he did well, if he could have a good preseason, push himself forward as a 4th choice striker this season, ( or better) score 5 goals or more then he will have done really well.

Saying that I saw Joe Pigott bang in a hat trick v welling, playing alongside Kermorgant, I waxed lyrical about him, thinking he was going to have a great season, you just never know ,who is going to break through.

If you'd have said to me 12 months ago that Gomez would have become a first team regular, and get shipped off to Liverpool at the end of the season , I would have said really?

Just realised , I put my thoughts on the wrong thread, I think it must be the sun yesterday!

Really enjoyed the 1st half, as soon as I heard the line up for the 2nd half hoped it would be all right, but felt a bit short changed, as it was pricey to get in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Well at 15 quid a pop I'm not surprised, maybe we thought Welling were taking the piss seeing as 90% of the crowd was Charlton fans anyway, and decided 16k would be handy to have, I mean it's probably most of KAG's or THD's wages for this season
  • uie2 said:

More goals than 0 I hope so too!
  • Thought Alex Kelly looked a good player in an otherwise drab second half. Confident on the ball, intelligent movement. Most of our attacks started with him finding some space and making a good pass.
  • edited July 2015
    Uboat said:

Nice that the people on that bus would have seen the first goal. That's my only reflection on the game.

I know Charlton are nicknamed trainspotters, but it was pretty incredible how many buses go past Wellings ground, must have been one a minute, seemed like every bus in London went there, I guess it shows how dull the 2nd half was.

• This thread has so many Fails.
  • Apologies if this has been mentioned and I've missed it. Apparently for the first time Charlton asked to share the gate money for the Welling game yesterday. This has traditionally been a money spinner for welling that pretty much finances their upcoming season. If true (I read it on another Charlton forum so have no reason to doubt it) this is a bit unnecessary and classless by Charlton.

Bit shocking if that's true, totally unnecessary
  • I heard that as well
  • sam3110 said:

Well at 15 quid a pop I'm not surprised, maybe we thought Welling were taking the piss seeing as 90% of the crowd was Charlton fans anyway, and decided 16k would be handy to have, I mean it's probably most of KAG's or THD's wages for this season

I'm inclined to agree with this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't you think it's peculiar that Ahearne-Grant, a rookie, scored twice in the first six minutes - and for the remaining 39 in the first half, with all the experienced professionals around, we reverted to type?

QPR first, then Derby away - then Hull at home. Our players are children. Don't you think it's about bloody time Charlton bought some good players and had a serious go at promotion?

From what I have been told, that is unlikely. We are still working to the unearthing a hidden (and cheap) diamond rather than paying for known ability at the going rate.
  • colin1961 said:

Sorry guys but untrue I was speaking to Barrie Hobbins week ago and for the first time Charlton asked for 3000 to send a team to play at welling but still gave welling full gate money , programme , food and drink
    Barrie Hobbins was more then happy as he said we made a lot of money out of Charlton in the past and will make around 40k profit from the game yesterday
    West Ham who are not sending any first team players at all I a few weeks have asked half of everything to send a team ..

Thanks. I'm rather pleased that this wasn't true.
  • Don't you think it's peculiar that Ahearne-Grant, a rookie, scored twice in the first six minutes - and for the remaining 39 in the first half, with all the experienced professionals around, we reverted to type?

QPR first, then Derby away - then Hull at home. Our players are children. Don't you think it's about bloody time Charlton bought some good players and had a serious go at promotion?

From what I have been told, that is unlikely. We are still working to the unearthing a hidden (and cheap) diamond rather than paying for known ability at the going rate.
    Then sell them before they can have an impact on the first team
  • was KM there?
  • edited July 2015
    colin1961 said:

Sorry guys but untrue I was speaking to Barrie Hobbins week ago and for the first time Charlton asked for 3000 to send a team to play at welling but still gave welling full gate money , programme , food and drink
    Barrie Hobbins was more then happy as he said we made a lot of money out of Charlton in the past and will make around 40k profit from the game yesterday
    West Ham who are not sending any first team players at all I a few weeks have asked half of everything to send a team ..

I wonder if you have ever heard of VAT. If the gate was 2,100 (and it didn't look much more), the receipts including cost of sale (printing, staffing, supplies) would need to be about £60k for Welling to make a profit of £40k (allowing the £3k you mention). Even if there was some sponsorship or advertising revenue generated, which would be fairly trivial but let's say there was £5k, that's an average spend of about £26 per person - including kids and pensioners. In the real world it would be about half that.
  • colin1961 said:

That is what the owner of Welling said but he said it a week before the game so was most likely judging the gate on previous games ......

Barrie Hobbins is not the owner of Welling United.