Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

UFC Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Ngannou was unbelievable. Made Miocic look like a low level contender, and I really like Miocic, it's not mocking him, its a compliment to Ngannou. If I was Jones I would be eating lettuce and dropping to straw weight to get rid of any discussion about fighting Ngannou. 

Woodley was dead on his feet. 

O Malley hype train - re railed. He desperately wants to be McGregor.

So excited for Vettori v Till. I have a mancrush on Vettori, but I love how much shit Till chats. Having Perry on the card also makes it exciting. 

So excited for UFC 261 as well. WMMA is almost completely garbage, but both of the women's title fights have a pair of women in them who are proper fighters. 

You will all tire of me saying this, 2021 is going to be a thrilling year for UFC. 
  • Options
    I think Woodley is off to Bellator, he was unlucky to get stuck by the cage but his legs were done regardless. Takes some shine off of Colby which is a bonus!

Perfect performance from Francis, he'll be champion for a while with that takedown defense.

Also on perfect performance, anyone see Pimblett?
    Pimblett was fantastic, think that might finally be the performance that gets him into the UFC! 

As for Ngannou, wow. The striking much more composed, the timing on the sprawl to stop the takedown - as soon as he blocked it, you could see it was going to be a bad night for Stipe. If Jones beats him, for me he's GOAT even with all of the asterisks. If Ngannou wins, it won't be long before he enters that conversation either. 
  • Options
    Not sure if it's happened before but with Ngannou winning it now means there are no American title holders
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Ngannou was unbelievable. Made Miocic look like a low level contender, and I really like Miocic, it's not mocking him, its a compliment to Ngannou. If I was Jones I would be eating lettuce and dropping to straw weight to get rid of any discussion about fighting Ngannou. 

Woodley was dead on his feet. 

O Malley hype train - re railed. He desperately wants to be McGregor.

So excited for Vettori v Till. I have a mancrush on Vettori, but I love how much shit Till chats. Having Perry on the card also makes it exciting. 

So excited for UFC 261 as well. WMMA is almost completely garbage, but both of the women's title fights have a pair of women in them who are proper fighters. 

You will all tire of me saying this, 2021 is going to be a thrilling year for UFC. 
    O'Malley's striking was superb, I hate his look though! WMMA has some great champions but the depth of talent isn't there, I can see that changing in the future now they're training full time. If you think it's bad in UFC, you should watch some of the fights in ONE! 

Pimblett must get signed now. As for Woodley, Bellator has a decent division, I think Lima beats him, maybe MVP will face him, or another can for a change...Will be interesting. He's 39 soon so it could be a wrap.
  • Options
    I met Pimblett once, really nice guy. Bit of a humble brag I know. Hope he does get a shot, would be interested to see how good he could be. 
  • Options
    The most terrifying thing I have ever seen is Francis Ngannou sprawling so technically. 
  • Options
    The most terrifying thing I have ever seen is Francis Ngannou sprawling so technically. 
    Stipe's far from a slouch, and to see Francis completely nullify the takedown like that was the moment I stopped thinking Jones will be heavyweight champion. If Francis beats Jones, I think he'll hold that belt for a seriously long time.
  • Options
    Stipe's far from a slouch, and to see Francis completely nullify the takedown like that was the moment I stopped thinking Jones will be heavyweight champion. If Francis beats Jones, I think he'll hold that belt for a seriously long time.
    Interesting that it was the exact snatch single takedown that Stipe hit a few times in their first time, and repeatedly on Mark Hunt many years ago as well - Francis must have prepared for that takedown specifically, he made it look easy.
  • Options
    Paddy Pimblett has officially signed for the UFC! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The caption on that post was "Cage Warriors? Completed it mate"
  • Options
    Then he took the back and landed shots! God knows how anyone beats him!
  • Options
    Then he took the back and landed shots! God knows how anyone beats him!
    Tbf Lewis is never going to wrestle him. Jones while obviously a very good wrestler I think apart from the Smith fight it's not something he uses a lot, in recent times anyway. His key has always been keeping fighters at range though just how he does that with a patient Francis continually walking him down is what makes the fight so intriguing.
  • Options
    Talking of Jones.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Hes bottled sprawl-ganou then? 😂

or likely play for more money 
  • Options
    Kind of want dillian whyte to go left-field whilst on hold for two years, direct to title eliminator v black beast whilst francis fights jones. 
    🥰🥳
  • Options
    As much as I dislike the guy I don't buy the he's afraid. Usual Dana line of accusing fighters of not accepting fights. If its made it's probably the biggest UFC HW fight of all time, why shouldn't he get paid? 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    He should obviously get paid, he is a huge draw and it's a huge fight BUT he wouldn't be making this much of a deal out of money if Stipe retained or Adesanya won the LHW belt & one of those two were his 'super fight' opponents instead.

People can say he has the right to ask for more money now because it's Francis and he poses the bigger threat, but if he truly believes in himself the money shouldn't be that big of a deal as you assume he is still gonna be making a few million from it.

I don't see it happening, I think he makes the money excuse the whole way. As for not being afraid, he has openly admitted he was having nightmares before he fought Rampage, look at Rampage now look at Ngannou. He is 100% concerned at the very least and I don't blame him, Francis is an absolute specimen.

• Options
    “I wasn't necessarily worried but I did have a few nightmares leading up to the rampage Jackson fight,” he said on Twitter. Jones even revealed those nightmares were what led to his iconic crawls at the start of his fights: “In my nightmare I always started standing so to make sure that dream didn't come true.

Admittedly a far younger Jones but you can tell by his twitter feed he has a lot of insecurity issues and self doubt, which is bizarre when you consider his accolades, peds or not 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    As much as I dislike the guy I don't buy the he's afraid. Usual Dana line of accusing fighters of not accepting fights. If its made it's probably the biggest UFC HW fight of all time, why shouldn't he get paid? 
    I don't buy it either. The guy has had 28 fights and been in the UFC for over a decade and aside from one DQ has never lost yet people say he's scared. Why the fuck would he be scared?!

Dana obviously expects him to fight at whatever amount he offers but i'm with jones on this, he's a huge draw, this would be a MASSIVE fight, so Jones deserves to get paid. Ngannou would also earn a lot more out of Jones than fighting Lewis.
  • Options
    He should obviously get paid, he is a huge draw and it's a huge fight BUT he wouldn't be making this much of a deal out of money if Stipe retained or Adesanya won the LHW belt & one of those two were his 'super fight' opponents instead.

People can say he has the right to ask for more money now because it's Francis and he poses the bigger threat, but if he truly believes in himself the money shouldn't be that big of a deal as you assume he is still gonna be making a few million from it.

I don't see it happening, I think he makes the money excuse the whole way. As for not being afraid, he has openly admitted he was having nightmares before he fought Rampage, look at Rampage now look at Ngannou. He is 100% concerned at the very least and I don't blame him, Francis is an absolute specimen.

Nah I think he pulls the same if Izzy won. That also would have been one of the biggest ppv's of all time. The fact that he has been bulking to move up in class, he would have known that there was a real chance he wouldn't be facing Stipe. 

I also think its natural to have fear before a fight, I'm sure Francis did before Saturday though probably not for having his face smashed in. 

Now I'm going to stop defending this piece of scum, feeling quite dirty about it all. 
  • Options
    Jones would have made big money (he may still do) if he hadnt  fucked around for the best part of a decade whilst conor (1% of jones’ talent) became the star of the show. Jones had the world at his feet and could have become a household name. As it is, only mma fans know who he is and sponsors probably wont touch him. He will still get paid more than most for this fight though. 

DW is black and white imo and he called it after the fight - jones ring us and we will make the fight tonight. 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Dana wants people to take fights at whatever price he offers them, without question. He likes 'Yes men' or as he calls it 'company men' - I actually think it will start biting the UFC in the ass soon, Bellator is more competitive than it has ever been before, the depth of talent is growing every year, and Scott Coker is a legitimate business with a love for the sport who treats the fighters with respect. 
  • Options
    2121 said:
    Jones would have made big money (he may still do) if he hadnt  fucked around for the best part of a decade whilst conor (1% of jones’ talent) became the star of the show. Jones had the world at his feet and could have become a household name. As it is, only mma fans know who he is and sponsors probably wont touch him. He will still get paid more than most for this fight though. 

DW is black and white imo and he called it after the fight - jones ring us and we will make the fight tonight. 
    As long as its at the price DW wants when he throws out a lowball offer, even though it will be one of the biggest fights in the sport.
  • Options
    2121 said:

Conor has 1% of Jones talent? 

Conor has wins in 3 weight classes, 2 titles in different weight classes, knock outed a reining champion within 13 seconds who was in his prime, then has arguably one of the most dominant title fight displays of all time. It's not like he fights boring either, off the rails and had a few rough losses but to say Jones is 100x more skilful is absurd. Conor has never been caught using PEDs for a start. All that talent yet he has to cheat? Jones has stayed in one weight class his whole career and repeatedly beat men he had size over

As for the Izzy thing I don't buy it, he knows he will beat Izzy. I'm a huge Adesanaya fan but it's just not a good match up for him. We will never know the true numbers but I reckon he would have taken half the purse for fighting Adesanya or Stipe over Ngannou
  • Options
    2121 said:

Yes because it's definitely that simple. I'd bet good money that Dana is offering Jones less than half of what he wants.

Khabib apparently took home around $6m v Gaethje and i'd say that Jones v Ngannou would do many more PPV buys than that.

I don't think it's unreasonable for Jones to want $4-5m (around what Conor got v Poirier) and i reckon DW is probably offering him somewhere nearer 2m.
  • Options
    2121 said:

Yes because it's definitely that simple. I'd bet good money that Dana is offering Jones less than half of what he wants.

Khabib apparently took home around $6m v Gaethje and i'd say that Jones v Ngannou would do many more PPV buys than that.

I don't think it's unreasonable for Jones to want $4-5m (around what Conor got v Poirier) and i reckon DW is probably offering him somewhere nearer 2m.
    Yep agree with you - to illustrate the point further Dan Hardy came out the other day and said he got paid £24k to fight GSP for the title way back when - after all the deductions and manager charges etc he actually banked 5k. He said he spoke to GSP after training with him later on and GSP spent 5x his total pay on his camp alone! 
  • Options
    While we're on the subject of pay. The Reebok era has finished now, a total of $40m was paid out to fighters. That's an absolute disgrace imo, think just how many fights that is over 6 years. At the beginning it was said the deal was worth $70m to fighters, top tier were going from 6 figure sponsorships down to a maximum of $50k and you have to wonder how much the total figure is skewed towards people like McGregor. I'd like to see how much the UFC earned out of the deal. Is it any wonder the biggest names keep calling for more pay, they've seen first hand how much money the UFC/IMG is worth and they aren't getting a cut of it.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    While we're on the subject of pay. The Reebok era has finished now, a total of $40m was paid out to fighters. That's an absolute disgrace imo, think just how many fights that is over 6 years. At the beginning it was said the deal was worth $70m to fighters, top tier were going from 6 figure sponsorships down to a maximum of $50k and you have to wonder how much the total figure is skewed towards people like McGregor. I'd like to see how much the UFC earned out of the deal. Is it any wonder the biggest names keep calling for more pay, they've seen first hand how much money the UFC/IMG is worth and they aren't getting a cut of it.
    Suspect White is taking it all, bloke is worth a fortune.