Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Traffic chaos in Kent

Comments

• Options
    Addickted said:

MrOneLung said:

I still don't get why they deserve our sympathy. These are criminals trying to illegally enter my country. They are not fleeing harm. They are in a safe country already. They are fleeing to,not fleeing from.

I don't wish to get drawn into a pointless debate. If you can't see why they deserve our sympathy then nothing I say will change your opinion.

As long as you have the essentials sorted, then life in Calais as an economic migrant isn't too bad.

Are they A3? How the f*ck are they getting 3G, I'm struggling and I only had the phone 4 days
  • Options
    Dude has a better phone than me, where's my sympathy.
  • Options

I knew I would get flack but the lack of empathy with fellow humans is breathtaking. The criminals and scroungers wanting to breach our walls have in the vast majority of cases walked from war torn Africa and Middle East. How desperate must they be to even consider such a journey with no money food or idea of outcome. If that alone doesn't attract some sympathy with their plight then I'm saddened.

Walked?
    Clearly you have no understanding of the process.
    Shipped to Itsly, free, uncontested train ride (because no one will dare challenge them) across Europe to Calais, is how the vast majority travel.
    How do I know?
    Working to provide foster parents for several 'young' men (20 years old plus, but claiming to be 15to get the full range of UK assistance) in Birmingham, some with 'family' contacts in London but getting free schooling, accommodation, laptops, clothing, transport to mosque each week. It is just shocking.

To say they are fleeing or walking is absolutely ridiculous. What do you think is wrong with Italy or France that they have to 'flee' to the UK?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Im sure it's a lot easier to feel sorry for them when you don't have to drive through their threats and intimidation on a daily basis.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    French Police succeed at last in controlling economic migrants at national borders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcc6dchzJJ0

• Options
    edited July 2015
    the

I knew I would get flack but the lack of empathy with fellow humans is breathtaking. The criminals and scroungers wanting to breach our walls have in the vast majority of cases walked from war torn Africa and Middle East. How desperate must they be to even consider such a journey with no money food or idea of outcome. If that alone doesn't attract some sympathy with their plight then I'm saddened.

Previously on this thread when Kentred waffled on about us having an obligation to take these refugees in I made him/her an offer that I would drive some of the refugees round to him/her so he/she could take them in. Surprisingly I never heard anymore.

So I'll make the same offer to you. Give us your address and I'll drop some of these poor people round to you for you to look after. Doesn't matter if you haven't got a spare room, I'm sure they'll be happy to sleep on your sofa.

Or am I right in assuming you don't actually want to do it yourself but are quite happy for other taxpayers to pick up the bill?
    You can teach people to read but you can't teach them to understand. The problem with this country in a nutshell.
  • Options

Shg these are not the migrants you talk of I assure you these are mainly I would say groups of people that have from a young age been bought up in the rough parts of Paris and the surrounding areas , I wouldn't be surprised if many went back to flats or apartments in and around calais , they smell of smoke nor dirt they are not starving I have seen them at cash points withdrawing cash,

KHA, I had to show that I will go as far as them if I had to I had just watched about ten of them smash a Dutch guys van to pieces as he ran up the flyover and down to the service station on the right taking everything he had and wishing I was brave enough to help him , but the drivers all around us stated they only help if the driver is physically attacked and then and only then do you get out of the vehicle , but the second they started touching my van I let them know I will fight back, right or wrong move I don't know but I can't allow my property to be attacked without defending it that's home or away it's just me

These people don't deserve nor need anyone's help support or sympathy

I'd arm myself with some pepper spray if I were in your position, preferably with dye. Pretty inexpensive on ebay. Stops people dead, and non-lethal.
  • Options

Walked?
    Shipped to Itsly, free, uncontested train ride (because no one will dare challenge them) across Europe to Calais, is how the vast majority travel.
    How do I know?
    Working to provide foster parents for several 'young' men (20 years old plus, but claiming to be 15to get the full range of UK assistance) in Birmingham, some with 'family' contacts in London but getting free schooling, accommodation, laptops, clothing, transport to mosque each week. It is just shocking.

To say they are fleeing or walking is absolutely ridiculous. What do you think is wrong with Italy or France that they have to 'flee' to the UK?
    Well, I would generally be interested in the answer to that question. In your previous para. you imply that the answer is a massive load of handouts, but this BBC article , which has been posted here before and not seriously challenged, suggests there isn't much difference.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think we should just let them all in, but I think it's important to understand why they all think it's so much better in the UK than in France. After all, @brogib for one knows what a big mistake they are making:-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Many comments made in humour with little intention of harm but it's worth remembering that a human tragedy is being played out just 20 miles from our shores. These are people that deserve our sympathy even if our help is a bridge too far.

If most of them hadn't chucked their passports away or allowed them to be taken by traffickers, then yes they would get mine, and had they stopped at the first safe haven and claimed asylum like the rule book says, they would get even more.
  • Options

Previously on this thread when Kentred waffled on about us having an obligation to take these refugees in I made him/her an offer that I would drive some of the refugees round to him/her so he/she could take them in. Surprisingly I never heard anymore.

So I'll make the same offer to you. Give us your address and I'll drop some of these poor people round to you for you to look after. Doesn't matter if you haven't got a spare room, I'm sure they'll be happy to sleep on your sofa.

Or am I right in assuming you don't actually want to do it yourself but are quite happy for other taxpayers to pick up the bill?
    Thank you for your offer although I first need you to point out to me in which post I stated that I was in favour of them being allowed entry into the UK.

I know they can't and shouldn't be allowed to come here but that doesn't stop me having waffling empathy and sympathy with their plight any less than it stops me feeling sorry for the desperate health tourist who comes here hoping to get treatment to save their lives because they can't afford to get that treatment in their own country.

We need to say enough is enough on both issues but I would prefer Britain as a society to have some pity for these people and to seek with others a good solution and not adopt the distasteful approach of pepper spray, rubber bullets and worse all suggested in this thread either in some jest ? Or seriously.

I would hope we are better than that.

SHG do you still have sympathy for these people even if they threaten, steal and intimidate innocent people?
  • Options
    The news this morning reports that they are considering using MOD land to ease congestion and make Operation Stack less disruptive.
    Is it me or is that missing the point? The roads need to be cleared by making the tunnel and the port of Calais secure for business travel. That means a sufficient show of presence to deter people who are disrupting a massive area for their own purposes.
    It is simply applying the rule of law in both countries. And stories on here of intimidation of drivers in their lorries describe a completely unacceptable situation, it's not a wild west frontier over there these are commercial roads in a democratic European country.

• Options
    Is the strike action still a factor today. Or is it more security for the ferries making the train system come under more pressure?
    I am wondering how the situation might be different if the industrial action was settled.
  • Options
    Shg

At heart you are a big softie and I respect that, but although I jest about shooting to kill , I don't jest about a proper detterant and nor do I jest about people finding an option to defend themselves and property, but I am not lying to you when I say these are not desperate or needy they are low life thieving scum
  • Options
    Unless I have missed it, the only reason given (on here at least) for their desire to come to the UK, rather than stay in France is because they prefer to speak English.

Ignoring that, are we all now agreed that they wish to cross The Channel because we are seen as being softer, more generous and offer an easy life ? Aside from their linguistic talents this can be the only reason for not wanting to stay in France.

There is a letter in The Times today from Lionel Anderson saying that we should bring them all over and accommodate them in, soon to be surplus, army barracks whilst employing them in roles that meet their qualifications and careers to date.

Lionel lives in Spain.
  • Options

Macronate said:

All I want to know is will I be able to get to Dymchurch on Saturday?

A21 to Hastings and then A259 along the coast.

may take a bit longer and there will be millions taking the same route but just trying to help.
    Cheers, might try that
    Did you see my earlier post Dave...you can take the turn off at Hawkhurst head for Rye and go that way.
  • Options

Macronate said:

may take a bit longer and there will be millions taking the same route but just trying to help.
    Cheers, might try that
    Did you see my earlier post Dave...you can take the turn off at Hawkhurst head for Rye and go that way.
    No, byt just read it, thanks. We may go to Hastings instead, any idea how much disruption I'm likely to face?
  • Options
    Fine as long as Lionel takes a couple to
    Come and live with him at his villa.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2015

Macronate said:

Cheers, might try that
    No, byt just read it, thanks. We may go to Hastings instead, any idea how much disruption I'm likely to face?
    It depends on how many dogging sites you stop off at on the way Dave
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Macronate said:

Cheers, might try that
    It depends on how many dogging sites you stop off at on the way Dave
    I don't take long.
  • Options

Walked?
    How do I know?

Well, I would generally be interested in the answer to that question. In your previous para. you imply that the answer is a massive load of handouts, but this BBC article , which has been posted here before and not seriously challenged, suggests there isn't much difference.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think we should just let them all in, but I think it's important to understand why they all think it's so much better in the UK than in France. After all, @brogib for one knows what a big mistake they are making:-)
    I think this is the crux of the issue. They are not disproportionately better off coming here, in fact IIRC a single man claiming asylum in France is better off financially than here. But there is a perception that they will find it easier here to both get residency should they want to do it through the correct channels (which I think may be the case) but more attractively that they will be able to find work illegally regardless of their status.

Not sure about that as anyone who has lived in France for example will testify there is a huge black economy there too. But if this is the case then we also have to look at ourselves for creating this perception as a small part of the bigger problem and we need to correct that perception.

More resources spent on prosecuting those prepared to exploit desperate migrants for their own personal gain plus some targeted education of the reality of the situation in the UK might pay off in the long run.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
  • Options

This

• Options

This

This what?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    PL54 said:

Ignoring that, are we all now agreed that they wish to cross The Channel because we are seen as being softer, more generous and offer an easy life ?

No.

The graph below shows the UK ranks 6th in EU countries receiving asylum applications. Also, the links provided by Prague and others describe how the benefits offered by the UK to asylum seekers are not significantly better than those offered by France and other members of the EU.

• Options
    Serious solution*

1. Allow adults to enter the UK on condition that they find immediate employment and accept the first job offered otherwise they will be returned to France.
    2. Set up an army recruitment booth on the border.
    3. Offer anyone who enters the UK a job in the army.
    4. Train them up and send them to fight in their homeland.
    5. Defeat the evil people and they can all move back home to their now peaceful glorious free paradises.
    6. Steal all their oil

* actually not really serious
  • Options

PL54 said:

Ignoring that, are we all now agreed that they wish to cross The Channel because we are seen as being softer, more generous and offer an easy life ?

No.

The graph below shows the UK ranks 6th in EU countries receiving asylum applications. Also, the links provided by Prague and others describe how the benefits offered by the UK to asylum seekers are not significantly better than those offered by France and other members of the EU.

Thats all very well, but I think the main issue is the illegals that are either trying to get in or are already here.
  • Options

Thank you for your offer although I first need you to point out to me in which post I stated that I was in favour of them being allowed entry into the UK.

I know they can't and shouldn't be allowed to come here but that doesn't stop me having waffling empathy and sympathy with their plight any less than it stops me feeling sorry for the desperate health tourist who comes here hoping to get treatment to save their lives because they can't afford to get that treatment in their own country.

We need to say enough is enough on both issues but I would prefer Britain as a society to have some pity for these people and to seek with others a good solution and not adopt the distasteful approach of pepper spray, rubber bullets and worse all suggested in this thread either in some jest ? Or seriously.

I would hope we are better than that.

SHG do you still have sympathy for these people even if they threaten, steal and intimidate innocent people?
    SHG??