Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Traffic chaos in Kent

Comments

• Options
    No it’s the Kent side of the M25
  • Options
    Is it closed London bound from the M25 junction?
    No 
  • Options
    Is it closed London bound from the M25 junction?
    I don't think so, from the maps it looks to be closed up to that junction.
  • Options
    Took 1h 22mins in the end in what should be a 30min journey - Feared the worst at one point when I got gridlocked down a narrow country lane
  • Options
    I used the M20 -A20 coming up,apart from a bit of a delay at 5 ways,it was fine.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited August 2021
    I’ve just moved from Gravesend to Bexley, I moved my gear from Gravesend to Bexley yesterday, (been in the new Bexley house since Thursday) so missed the game, so this move was right at the wrong time for this particular closure.
    Drove from crayford with the hire van to greenhithe to pick up some garden tools I had stored at a mates, and then to Gravesend via swanscombe/ebbsffeet via London road, not too bad at about 09:30 in that direction, but chaos the other way.
    Decided on leaving Gravesend to go down the A227 via Wrotham & Meopham to join the M20/A20 to Ruxley corner then round to Bexley, put about 45 minutes on my journey but worked out well in the end, rather than sitting in very long queues 

• Options
    Horrendous traffic around Dartford today - serious crash in the Dartford Tunnel - east tunnel closed - accident between lorry, van and motorcycle - obviously hope nobody badly injured (but it sounds very serious) - if you can avoid the area, as the traffic is really really bad
  • Options
    Been awful today, and this is what happens when one tunnel gets knocked out, as it does on a too regular basis, I don't want to conflate threads, but the mess that is the tunnel and Bridge is far far more problematic to peoples treatment at DVH than a few protesters every now and then . 
  • Options
    Isn't that why they're building a new crossing downstream, to ease congestion at pinch points on the road network?

When was the last time there was a major accident in the tunnel?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Been awful today, and this is what happens when one tunnel gets knocked out, as it does on a too regular basis, I don't want to conflate threads, but the mess that is the tunnel and Bridge is far far more problematic to peoples treatment at DVH than a few protesters every now and then . 
    Totally agree, I live Dartford town side of this roundabout and it seems at least once a week it gets totally chocked up, why they allow lorries (especially) to go block the roundabout I really don’t know, an easy answer would be width restrictions that prevent the so called short cut that they take off the M25 and then back on via the roundabout. The easiest place to put the width restriction would be the entrance back onto the M25 off the roundabout. Any lorry coming off then would have to go left to Dartford Heath and rejoin the A2 and queue for a few hour more. Mind you would also need width restrictions at cotton lane. 

The blue star roundabout is vital for emergency vehicles in Dartford, you got the major accident hospital gravesend side along with the fire station and the other side the ambulance station, it’s an utter disgrace that this occurs, also in all the time I been stuck there I have never seen the police trying to control the situation.

That’s my rant of the day out the way early, oh and the down river crossing (King Charlie bridge) is at least 10 years away from being opened.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Totally agree, I live Dartford town side of this roundabout and it seems at least once a week it gets totally chocked up, why they allow lorries (especially) to go block the roundabout I really don’t know, an easy answer would be width restrictions that prevent the so called short cut that they take off the M25 and then back on via the roundabout. The easiest place to put the width restriction would be the entrance back onto the M25 off the roundabout. Any lorry coming off then would have to go left to Dartford Heath and rejoin the A2 and queue for a few hour more. Mind you would also need width restrictions at cotton lane. 

The blue star roundabout is vital for emergency vehicles in Dartford, you got the major accident hospital gravesend side along with the fire station and the other side the ambulance station, it’s an utter disgrace that this occurs, also in all the time I been stuck there I have never seen the police trying to control the situation.

That’s my rant of the day out the way early, oh and the down river crossing (King Charlie bridge) is at least 10 years away from being opened.
    Totally agree,I dont live in Dartford,but am a regular visitor and have been trapped several times by this situation.Answer is really to put a no M25 access notice on the slip road that leaves for the roundabout,there must be some technology to trap offenders.
  • Options
    I was due to go to a meeting early evening in Dartford but sacked it off as maps said my usual 20 minute journey was going to be 1hr 15. The secretary who lives in Dartford said it was going to take her an hour!
  • Options
    As I drove home from the U23 game, into London on the A2, there was stationary traffic coastbound right back to the Blackfen junction.
  • Options
    Electric cars?
    How long till we get f******g flying ones?

The capacity of many of the UK roads, especially in the south east is at crisis point. And the powers that be haven't got the first clue on how to solve it.

• Options
    Electric cars?

The capacity of many of the UK roads, especially in the south east is at crisis point. And the powers that be haven't got the first clue on how to solve it.

Think of a reason why everybody should work from home. There must be something....
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited October 2021
    When Highways England held their first consultations on the Lower Thames Crossing (LTC) I questioned why they weren't improving junctions further down the A2/M2, specifically Bluebell Hill, which anyone local to that will tell you can be pretty awful most days. I was told there wasn't the need. I pointed out that many would dive off the M20 and up Bluebell Hill as journey time would be reduced by using the new crossing. They vehemently disagreed with me and couldn't see the point I was making. Sadly these idiots, don't live locally and havent a clue as to how the LTC will get snarled up as much as Dartford with traffic opting to use it as the route is going to be shorter than staying on the M20 to the M25 (10 miles to the new road compared to 28 miles on the M20/M25).
    The LTC wull happen, the coastbound services at Cobham/Thong closed years ago and were left empty so, to my mind, the route for the new link was decided years before they "consulted".
  • Options
    BDL said:
    When Highways England held their first consultations on the Lower Thames Crossing (LTC) I questioned why they weren't improving junctions further down the A2/M2, specifically Bluebell Hill, which anyone local to that will tell you can be pretty awful most days. I was told there wasn't the need. I pointed out that many would dive off the M20 and up Bluebell Hill as journey time would be reduced by using the new crossing. They vehemently disagreed with me and couldn't see the point I was making. Sadly these idiots, don't live locally and havent a clue as to how the LTC will get snarled up as much as Dartford with traffic opting to use it as the route is going to be shorter than staying on the M20 to the M25 (10 miles to the new road compared to 28 miles on the M20/M25).
    The LTC wull happen, the coastbound services at Cobham/Thong closed years ago and were left empty so, to my mind, the route for the new link was decided years before they "consulted".
    Used to be a Little Chef there - my Dad would take me there for a treat when I was a lad

I am not so sure that it’s been decided for years, as the site of the former services is still owned by Esso, unless of course the Government had a word in their ear etc….
  • Options
    Horrendous traffic around Dartford today - serious crash in the Dartford Tunnel - east tunnel closed - accident between lorry, van and motorcycle - obviously hope nobody badly injured (but it sounds very serious) - if you can avoid the area, as the traffic is really really bad
    Sadly it was a very serious incident and the motorcycle rider was killed https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/news/tributes-paid-to-motorcyclist-killed-in-crash-255159/
  • Options
    BDL said:
    Used to be a Little Chef there - my Dad would take me there for a treat when I was a lad

I am not so sure that it’s been decided for years, as the site of the former services is still owned by Esso, unless of course the Government had a word in their ear etc….
    I had a client who ran Nell's Cafe just off the A2 there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Electric cars?

Think of a reason why everybody should work from home. There must be something....
    our houses are too cold apparently - lose a lot of heat they say.
  • Options
    Swanley has been a nightmare recently & it has meant all 3 of my kids being late for school / college.

First there has been the protesters blocking J3 of the M25, meaning drivers coming off & driving through Swanley to get to Bexley or even through Hextable to Dartford.

Then some Company were digging a hole in the main High Street with temporary traffic lights. Meant queues in all directions & delayed journeys by 20-30 mins.

Then the petrol crisis has meant drivers queuing to get into the large Co-op petrol station. Saturday lunchtime there were 2 lines of traffic in one direction for a quarter of a mile as drivers decided that they weren't going to sit in traffic if they weren't going to use the petrol station & so were slowly filtering by. Blocked the roundabout at the bottom of my road & meant you couldn't get anywhere.

Then, to cap all that, the 477 bus seems to have just given up. On a daily basis at least one early morning bus is cancelled and then the next ones are delayed & so my daughter has to now leave home at 7.25 to get to Dartford for 9am - usually a 20 min bus journey. Today she needed me to drive her in this mornings both the 7.27 & the 8.07 were cancelled & no news if the 8.47 would be running either. Coming home she got on a different bus, going a different route, just so she could get somewhere close to home.

• Options
    BDL said:
    I'm now back in my office 3 days a week and have to travel up and down Bluebell Hill. Even though there is slightly less traffic than before Covid, there are still queues around the junctions with the M2 and M20 at peak times.  This morning all the slip roads around the top of Bluebell Hill were totally jammed, as I think there was a problem on the M2; this affected all the surrounding roads.

If nothing is done to improve the junctions at the top and bottom of Bluebell Hill, the area will grind to a halt when the LTC is built. New housing developments are being planned as well, adding to the problems. 

• Options
    Swanley has been a nightmare recently & it has meant all 3 of my kids being late for school / college.

First there has been the protesters blocking J3 of the M25, meaning drivers coming off & driving through Swanley to get to Bexley or even through Hextable to Dartford.

Then some Company were digging a hole in the main High Street with temporary traffic lights. Meant queues in all directions & delayed journeys by 20-30 mins.

Then the petrol crisis has meant drivers queuing to get into the large Co-op petrol station. Saturday lunchtime there were 2 lines of traffic in one direction for a quarter of a mile as drivers decided that they weren't going to sit in traffic if they weren't going to use the petrol station & so were slowly filtering by. Blocked the roundabout at the bottom of my road & meant you couldn't get anywhere.

Then, to cap all that, the 477 bus seems to have just given up. On a daily basis at least one early morning bus is cancelled and then the next ones are delayed & so my daughter has to now leave home at 7.25 to get to Dartford for 9am - usually a 20 min bus journey. Today she needed me to drive her in this mornings both the 7.27 & the 8.07 were cancelled & no news if the 8.47 would be running either. Coming home she got on a different bus, going a different route, just so she could get somewhere close to home.

Why doesn’t she cycle?
  • Options
    iainment said:

Why doesn’t she cycle?

I wouldn't want my daughter cycling on her own through snarled up rush hour traffic in that part of town.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Why doesn’t she cycle?

I wouldn't want my daughter cycling on her own through snarled up rush hour traffic in that part of town.
    So it’ll never get better.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Why doesn’t she cycle?
    Because she hasn't got a bike.

She has asked for roller skates for xmas though. 
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

Why doesn’t she cycle?

So it’ll never get better.

I'm all for more bike journeys and personally cycle around my local area on a daily basis but as a Dad I'd feel very uncomfortable about my 12 year old doing that route on her own. I do take your point though.
  • Options
    Awful traffic this morning in Swanley. Some (minor) roadworks in the High Street were exacerbated by an accident on the M25. Had to take the youngest lad to Darent Valley hospital for a routine Diabetes clinic & got snarled up just trying to get onto the M25. Accident was clockwise & traffic was coming off at J3 & trying all different routes to get where they were going. Our route on the M25 going anti-clockwise towards the Tunnel was fine......it was getting onto the M25 which was the problem. Obviously couldn't go any other way as it meant being stuck in traffic to get through to Hextable or stuck on the roundabout to go via A20 / Hawley.

I swear traffic is getting worse.
  • Options
    Awful traffic this morning in Swanley. Some (minor) roadworks in the High Street were exacerbated by an accident on the M25. Had to take the youngest lad to Darent Valley hospital for a routine Diabetes clinic & got snarled up just trying to get onto the M25. Accident was clockwise & traffic was coming off at J3 & trying all different routes to get where they were going. Our route on the M25 going anti-clockwise towards the Tunnel was fine......it was getting onto the M25 which was the problem. Obviously couldn't go any other way as it meant being stuck in traffic to get through to Hextable or stuck on the roundabout to go via A20 / Hawley.

I swear traffic is getting worse.

Too much development going on in the south east, the infrastructure cannot cope.