Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Traffic chaos in Kent

Comments

• Curb_It said:
    The fire in the Blackwall Tunnel caused severe chaos in all the local Greenwich roads on Friday till very late in the evening.  The Blackwall being shut always caused bad traffic issues but this was on a different level.  Stories of people being stuck in jams for hours, leaving their cars and walking home etc.   

I am surprised there isn't a thread about Greenwich roads and their new layouts with the LTN's closing off access (with more coming) and expanded cycle lanes.  Greenwich Council leader coming under a lot of pressure on twitter.  Emergency services vehicles are not able to get to places. Cars have to sit behind buses now when they stop as they cannot pass.  The lower road is constantly jammed.  The top of shooters hill is no better.  And this is all during lockdown when traffic was supposed to be lighter.

It's going to be one great big sodding mess when a game is on.  I would strongly urge people to get the train!

Or cycle. It’s getting to be a pleasure now.
  • edited July 2021
    The hated Operation Brock is being installed again this weekend 'to keep Kent moving' as more cross channel traffic is expected with the introduction of 'freedom day' on 19th July. 

What a shambles Brexit has turned out to be.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/operation-brock-deployed-as-country-reopens-250721/
  • What has Brexit got to do with it?
  • What has Brexit got to do with it?
    There are far more checks of freight traffic crossing the Channel than there were before Brexit. There has been almost no tourist traffic crossing the Channel since we left the EU. As a result there has been more room within the Port of Dover to stack the HGVs before the crossing.

There will not be a significant increase in tourist traffic yet, as most people know that travelling abroad is risky due to the possibility that the status of a country can change at ay time. Many foreign tourists won't want to come here as our Covid case rate is so high.

The fact that the authorities think there may be problems with an amount of traffic that will still be far less than before Brexit, shows that Brexit is the cause of imposing that hated Brock which causes problems for Kent residents far away from Dover.
  • Good to see they're planning head for what could be a problematic situation.
  • Traffic diverted around Nutbush city limits
  • The latest design update consultation has just launched for the Lower Thames Crossing at https://highwaysengland.co.uk/our-work/lower-thames-crossing/latest-news/

I must admit I wasn't aware how much they are going to mess about with the A2/M2 junction.
  • Government is considering putting France on red list, but discussions with French Government are ongoing according to Sky News. I can't see a big increase in cross channel traffic next week, so cannot see the need for Op Brock.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hex said:
    The latest design update consultation has just launched for the Lower Thames Crossing at https://highwaysengland.co.uk/our-work/lower-thames-crossing/latest-news/

I must admit I wasn't aware how much they are going to mess about with the A2/M2 junction.
    I think it will also require work on improving the Bluebell Hill junctions with M2 and M20.
  • A2 is going to be closed in both directions at Bean for bridge installation from 10pm Friday 6 Aug to 6.00am Monday 9th Aug.

• A2 is going to be closed in both directions at Bean for bridge installation from 10pm Friday 6 Aug to 6.00am Monday 9th Aug.

Only overnight though right? - Right?

No and its the weekend we are at home to Wednesday
  • Hex said:
    The latest design update consultation has just launched for the Lower Thames Crossing at https://highwaysengland.co.uk/our-work/lower-thames-crossing/latest-news/

I think it will also require work on improving the Bluebell Hill junctions with M2 and M20.
    As someone who doesn’t use the M2 Bluebell Hill junction very often, I always find it utterly confusing because of the lack of space.  How can they improve it without adding some free-flow links.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    A2 is going to be closed in both directions at Bean for bridge installation from 10pm Friday 6 Aug to 6.00am Monday 9th Aug.

Brilliant.

What with that and the Covid numbers going through the roof, the SKY option is looking more inviting. 
  • Government is considering putting France on red list, but discussions with French Government are ongoing according to Sky News. I can't see a big increase in cross channel traffic next week, so cannot see the need for Op Brock.
    Brexit? 
    Fill the channel tunnel up and fuck France. 
    See we can all talk political bollox if we want. 
  • Hex said:
    Hex said:

As someone who doesn’t use the M2 Bluebell Hill junction very often, I always find it utterly confusing because of the lack of space.  How can they improve it without adding some free-flow links.
    There was a consultation last year and people were invited to state their preference. Some options do require big changes. 
  • edited July 2021
    A2 is going to be closed in both directions at Bean for bridge installation from 10pm Friday 6 Aug to 6.00am Monday 9th Aug.

That Monday morning is going the be mayhem.
    A) more often than not they are late to finish 
    B ) overnight work is usually 10pm-5am. In this instance even finishing on time doesn’t help those of us that are usually on the A2 before 6am anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnnyH2 said:

• KENT ACCESS PERMIT.........Wait for it..!!!
  • Well done Highways England, the M20 is a mess this morning due to Operation Brock having been implemented last night. There is a crash in the Brock area. The M20 has been running very well since Brock was removed and the first day it is back we have problems.

People using the M2 instead so that is a mess as well, especially as so many people are going to the coast today.

Operation Brock should not have been implemented, especially as people travelling from France will have to isolate from tomorrow, meaning that cross channel tourist traffic is gong to be a lot lighter than normal.

• What mess? AA showing a four minute delay between Bearsted and Hollingbourne due to a broken down vehicle, then clear all the way down to Folkestone.

• edited July 2021
    Addickted said:
    What mess? AA showing a four minute delay between Bearsted and Hollingbourne due to a broken down vehicle, then clear all the way down to Folkestone.

AA travel news was showing 41 minute delay. A lot of traffic appears to be going up A249 at junction 7 to avoid the problems on the M20. They then hit the traffic on the M2 which is also showing delays.

Lanes closed, stalled Vehicle(s), queueing Traffic, congestion to, note change of details
    One lane closed and queueing traffic due to stalled vehicle on M20 coastbound after J8 A20 Ashford Road (Leeds Castle / Maidstone Services). Congestion to before J7. Lane one (of two) closed for a broken down lorry within Operation Brock. Originally reported as ...
    18 July 2021, 10:33AM (first reported
  • big accident by Dartford tunnel apparently. Closed both directions. 
  • big accident by Dartford tunnel apparently. Closed both directions. 
  • Fire Brigade inspecting for structural damage following an accident 
  • I left Darent Valley Hospital around 2.15pm & the roundabout at the top of Princess Road was chokka. Joined the M25 at J2 going clockwise & there was no traffic coming over the bridge. Traffic the other way was past J3 (I came off at Swanley). Hottest day of the year & people sitting in their cars for hours. Not good.
  • edited July 2021
    Carnage all day.
    Feel for the souls stuck in that today.

As predicted by me some years ago somewhere on this very thread, we are fast approaching the day where many roads in this area will be impassable for long long periods of the day.
    The road transportation Armageddon is fast approaching and HE and the government haven't got the first clue on how to solve it.