Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rolling Stones

Comments

• bobmunro said:

shine166 said:

Fumbluff said:

I'll let you know in May
    #prayformick

still trying to work out if I get some or not... saw them at glastonbury a few years ago n that was amazing
    If you've seen them before then it's easier to pass this up. If people haven't seen them live then this is probably your last chance and it is a genuine 'bucket list' experience.

They are so good live it is scary.

Yer the ticket prices are taking the piss, if they were a bit better id have been all over it with no questions
  • Got a couple of £250 tickets for 25 May at the taxpayers stadium. Eye-wateringly expensive, but I've never seen them before and am a big fan of their 60s and 70s stuff... worth it in my book, and they are great seats.
  • Looks like I started a bit of an argument earlier on, can't understand why we can't just have our exchanges without resorting to insults....after all it's only rock and roll.

Anyway I take Greenies point (well made) and I believe he has an inside track on info and I know the cost of setting up and running a show like this is astronomical. What Greenie didn't cover was the amount of money the band gross from merchandising, something I am a double sucker for. So baseball hats T-shirts, programmes, plastic beer mugs etc. makes an absolute fortune and they will be on a good percentage of that as well. The Stones are an industry with many people working for it and I get they have to make money but it is a gravy train to some extent.

Micks love of money and indeed his business acumen is well known, as is his parsimony, whereas Keef likes the dough but isn't driven by it and to be honest this "conflict" if you like has driven the success because Keef has ensured the spirit of the band and the music has remained true to their roots and Mick has ensured that they didn't end up doing Butlins weekenders years ago with Billy J Kramer.

However I do stand by my original statement that the tickets are somewhat lumpy and McBobbins post (enjoy the gig it will be brilliant mate) kind of underlines this for me is there really a need to charge £250 for a decent seat? I would have thought £150 would have been more than enough. Now without starting any spats I do think that The Stones would be able to influence this if they chose to, maybe I am wrong.........please don't swear at me.

• Looks like I started a bit of an argument earlier on, can't understand why we can't just have our exchanges without resorting to insults....after all it's only rock and roll.

Anyway I take Greenies point (well made) and I believe he has an inside track on info and I know the cost of setting up and running a show like this is astronomical. What Greenie didn't cover was the amount of money the band gross from merchandising, something I am a double sucker for. So baseball hats T-shirts, programmes, plastic beer mugs etc. makes an absolute fortune and they will be on a good percentage of that as well. The Stones are an industry with many people working for it and I get they have to make money but it is a gravy train to some extent.

Micks love of money and indeed his business acumen is well known, as is his parsimony, whereas Keef likes the dough but isn't driven by it and to be honest this "conflict" if you like has driven the success because Keef has ensured the spirit of the band and the music has remained true to their roots and Mick has ensured that they didn't end up doing Butlins weekenders years ago with Billy J Kramer.

However I do stand by my original statement that the tickets are somewhat lumpy and McBobbins post (enjoy the gig it will be brilliant mate) kind of underlines this for me is there really a need to charge £250 for a decent seat? I would have thought £150 would have been more than enough. Now without starting any spats I do think that The Stones would be able to influence this if they chose to, maybe I am wrong.........please don't swear at me.

I'm glad you said that because I'm just about to upset @bobmunro by saying that I would rather go to see The Boss and The E-Street Band than the Stones. And that comes from someone who as a teenager used to play in a band that covered the likes of Jumping Jack Flash and Brown Sugar.

I'm glad you said that because I'm just about to upset @bobmunro by saying that I would rather go to see The Boss and The E-Street Band than the Stones. And that comes from someone who as a teenager used to play in a band that covered the likes of Jumping Jack Flash and Brown Sugar.
    But you've never had a decent taste in music. Bruce Springsteen! I ask you???!!!
  • shine166 said:

Whats the olympic stadium like for gigs ? I know its pretty much pointless for football

The same as other stadiums such as Wembley or Twickenham. It's decent.
  • Riviera said:

Looks like I started a bit of an argument earlier on, can't understand why we can't just have our exchanges without resorting to insults....after all it's only rock and roll.

But you've never had a decent taste in music. Bruce Springsteen! I ask you???!!!
    Pot and kettle!
  • edited March 2018
    McBobbin said:

Got a couple of £250 tickets for 25 May at the taxpayers stadium. Eye-wateringly expensive, but I've never seen them before and am a big fan of their 60s and 70s stuff... worth it in my book, and they are great seats.

£250 is expensive, but will be worth it. It’s the price of a couple nights out.
  • Riviera said:

Looks like I started a bit of an argument earlier on, can't understand why we can't just have our exchanges without resorting to insults....after all it's only rock and roll.

Pot and kettle!
    Well go on then....
  • McBobbin said:

Got a couple of £250 tickets for 25 May at the taxpayers stadium. Eye-wateringly expensive, but I've never seen them before and am a big fan of their 60s and 70s stuff... worth it in my book, and they are great seats.

£250 is for top top tickets. Ground admission and stand on pitch (as I did when I was young) is £65.
  • Sponsored links:

• Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Pot and kettle!
    Well go on then....
    Not worth the effort. I've got far more important things to do like the ironing.
  • Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Pot and kettle!
    Well go on then....
    Not worth the effort. I've got far more important things to do like the ironing.
    Pathetic excuse. You love my CD's on our coach trips....
  • Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Pot and kettle!
    Well go on then....
    I humour you that's all.
  • Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Pot and kettle!
    Well go on then....
    I humour you that's all.
    You know all the words.

I'm a great Springsteen fan and have seen him live many times - but not in the same league. Nobody is!!
  • McBobbin said:

Just secured two tickets for the 25 May as well. Lower tier seats as close as possible to the stage (block 111) - too old now for that standing malarkey.

• They are £250 cos more than enough people readily pay that amount and much much more.
    The same show can be seen for £101 or thereabouts, which still ain't cheap but fatally punctures the arguments from all the hand-wringing jealous keyboard warriors (irony alert).
    If you like it and can afford it: go, if one or other doesn't apply: don't. I'd like to drive a Jag to work everyday rather than my Fiesta but I can't afford to run a Jag. I'm not cross about it, I've no entitlement to more than I choose to purchase.
    I've been fortunate enough to attend Stones gigs in arenas and stadia and the atmosphere at them all is second to none. I've seen hundreds of performances by artists at all strata of success but Mick, Charlie, Keef and Woody consistently deliver, for want of a less denigrated expression, "x-factor." If £100.45 (plus postage) is the price of a ticket, so be it.
    Performers and promoters will keep on charging a few quid more than they think they can get away with until the demand dries up. Suckers will keep on hosing money into the pockets of parasitic "marketplace" vendors and touts, cos they always have.
  • McBobbin said:

The price for some charlie must be going up then, as last time I was out £30 would probably do.
  • I selected any ticket and saw what they gave us. Thought they would sell out instantly! Still, looking forward to it! We are near the halfway line I think, can't remember the block number
  • McBobbin said:

The price for some charlie must be going up then, as last time I was out £30 would probably do.
    Christ, when did you last go out? 1980?
  • Sponsored links:

• They are £250 cos more than enough people readily pay that amount and much much more.
    The same show can be seen for £101 or thereabouts, which still ain't cheap but fatally punctures the arguments from all the hand-wringing jealous keyboard warriors (irony alert).
    If you like it and can afford it: go, if one or other doesn't apply: don't. I'd like to drive a Jag to work everyday rather than my Fiesta but I can't afford to run a Jag. I'm not cross about it, I've no entitlement to more than I choose to purchase.
    I've been fortunate enough to attend Stones gigs in arenas and stadia and the atmosphere at them all is second to none. I've seen hundreds of performances by artists at all strata of success but Mick, Charlie, Keef and Woody consistently deliver, for want of a less denigrated expression, "x-factor." If £100.45 (plus postage) is the price of a ticket, so be it.
    Performers and promoters will keep on charging a few quid more than they think they can get away with until the demand dries up. Suckers will keep on hosing money into the pockets of parasitic "marketplace" vendors and touts, cos they always have.

You’d be surprised how economical driving a jag to work was. I miss my jag....
  • FYI. The 2013 concert from Hyde Park (Sweet Summer Sun) is available on Sky Arts as are two documentaries, Exhibitionists and Totally Stripped. Best to tap 'The Rolling Stones' into the search box - all three pop up.
  • Saw Stones in Hyde Park in 1969. Going to Olympic Stadium, seen every tour, one is going to be “ the last time”.
  • I remember when the price of going to see a top band was less than or about the same as the price of their latest LP - those were the days! I have never seen the Stones despite them being right up there in my list of favorite bands. I won't be going at those prices I'm afraid.
  • Saga Lout said:

I remember when the price of going to see a top band was less than or about the same as the price of their latest LP - those were the days! I have never seen the Stones despite them being right up there in my list of favorite bands. I won't be going at those prices I'm afraid.

What £65?
  • Riviera said:

Saga Lout said:

I remember when the price of going to see a top band was less than or about the same as the price of their latest LP - those were the days! I have never seen the Stones despite them being right up there in my list of favorite bands. I won't be going at those prices I'm afraid.

What £65?
    I've never paid 65 quid for an LP IN MY LIFE! :smiley:
  • Saga Lout said:

Riviera said:

Saga Lout said:

What £65?
    What on earth is an LP?
  • Greenie said:

Saga Lout said:

Riviera said:

Saga Lout said:

What £65?
    What on earth is an LP?
    actually it's probably more appropriate these days than back in the 70's as most albums seem to be a lot longer than they used to be.
  • stonemuse said:

Greenie said:

Saga Lout said:

Riviera said:

Saga Lout said:

What £65?
    What on earth is an LP?
    actually it's probably more appropriate these days than back in the 70's as most albums seem to be a lot longer than they used to be.
    Probably due to the physical limitations of vinyl, compared to digital. I'm no music snob, but I do appreciate the art of compiling an album, where it is intended to be played end to end, possibly with the album being turned over in the middle. It needs to be cohesive, have some sort of narrative, each song need to justify its place on the album and its place in the running order. I sometimes now get the impressive that such an art is being lost, as people are only going to listen to a few songs on shuffle.