Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Foods you love but rarely get to eat

Comments

• Lamb, the missus doesn't eat it and buying single portions is expensive.

Black pudding

Hollandaise sauce

Rendang

Goats cheese

Duck
  • lobster and crab as too messy to eat and the rest of the time I am a vegetarian
  • chilli dog.

not the same if it's not from America.
  • edited June 2015

Manze's Pie , mash and Liquor

I hate Manzes pies but to please my wife and sons (my wife got them hooked) I order a pack of 40 or so at a time with liquor direct from Manzes and have them delivered all the way to Cheshire.

For me it's liver and scallops (not together I hasten to add) - but they both give me gout so I have to leave them alone.
  • Foie gras.
  • Swordfish.
  • liver & bacon
  • Due to trying to lose weight - Skippy Peanut Butter.

Also, living in Dubai, there are a few things which are difficult to get but possible.
    However, there's one thing I can't get here and it's driving me crazy. It's not even that nice, I think it's because I can't get it that I want it so much...

Heinz Tinned Beef Ravioli. I miss it.
  • From before I was veggie, spare ribs. Chinese or BBQ take your pick.
  • Anything with raisins in. My other half has a real hatred of them. She once refused to eat a London cheesecake because she could smell that it had been next to something containing raisins in the bakers, (it had).
    God I miss bread pudding.
  • Sponsored links:

• I love a good curry and chilli but the Mrs doesn't and a spicy one if either would be too hot for the little un who is on proper food (the other is only 6 weeks old).

I'm guessing here, but I'd think, once weaned, kids in India, for example, eat curry along with the rest of the family don't they? Anyway, back to topic.

Scallops used to be a standard cheap food when I was growing up, now just too expensive to get the proper large ones that still have the coral attached.

Dripping sandwiches. just a complete no-no unless you want to completely clog up your arteries.

Horse, quite tasty but you never see it (labelled as such) in Tesco.

Veal, also missing from Tesco.

• Stuffed, braised lambs hearts ... A favourite from my childhood but hated by everyone in my household
  • Escargot
    Giant Cous Cous
    Paella
    & Chicken Shish Kebabs (though this may alter now that my son has got a part time job driving for a kebab shop)
  • cafcfan said:

I love a good curry and chilli but the Mrs doesn't and a spicy one if either would be too hot for the little un who is on proper food (the other is only 6 weeks old).

I'm guessing here, but I'd think, once weaned, kids in India, for example, eat curry along with the rest of the family don't they? Anyway, back to topic.

Scallops used to be a standard cheap food when I was growing up, now just too expensive to get the proper large ones that still have the coral attached.

Dripping sandwiches. just a complete no-no unless you want to completely clog up your arteries.

Horse, quite tasty but you never see it (labelled as such) in Tesco.

Veal, also missing from Tesco.

I haven't had veal for ages.

also, haven't had rabbit for some time so looking forward to Malta in a couple of weeks.
  • cafcfan said:

I love a good curry and chilli but the Mrs doesn't and a spicy one if either would be too hot for the little un who is on proper food (the other is only 6 weeks old).

Maybe, but I'm guessing even.they build up from very mild.

Our daughter is nearly 2, she's OK with Korma but I've not risked anything spicier yet! And a non spicy chilli would just be rubbish tomato/beefy mince.
  • Roast pork. Wife doesn't like it and we never go to British restaurants over here, so it just don't happen...

We can get virtually anything from the UK over here, although sometimes at a price, but pie n mash is one I do miss.

Likewise when we are back in the UK, after two weeks I crave real chicken piri-piri and proper coffee.
  • Bubble & Squeak - much-underated element of the Full English

Other than that, various bits and pieces I've had on holiday that you either can't get over here, or if you can it's too expensive or not of satisfactory standard.

Marlin - similar to swordfish but better
    Spanish rum coffees (carajillos)
    Mediterranean deep fried seafood - always seems to be rubbery with ropey batter over here

• Whenever I am in Oslo, I like elk. Only, been there once though.
  • I am off Carbohydrate for 2 weeks so currently longing for a potato and some toast.
  • Roast pork. Wife doesn't like it and we never go to British restaurants over here, so it just don't happen...

We can get virtually anything from the UK over here, although sometimes at a price, but pie n mash is one I do miss.

Likewise when we are back in the UK, after two weeks I crave real chicken piri-piri and proper coffee.

We had Piri Piri Chicken in Villamoura once, absolutely nothing like you get over here, it was crazy spicy and I like spicy food.

• Sponsored links:

We had Piri Piri Chicken in Villamoura once, absolutely nothing like you get over here, it was crazy spicy and I like spicy food.

It varies so much - that's the beauty of it. I am a wuss, so I always ask for mine to be less spicy. Normally it's medium and you can ask for extra sauce to add yourself.
  • Pappy's Lobster Shack in Memphis, salt beef sandwiches, bugger now my mouth is watering.
  • _MrDick said:

Stuffed, braised lambs hearts ... A favourite from my childhood but hated by everyone in my household

Same for me

• Kangaroo Steaks
  • MrLargo said:

Marlin - similar to swordfish but better
    Spanish rum coffees (carajillos)

mmm great choices
  • Savaloy, chip shops down here look at me like I'm a nutter when I ask for one.. Same goes for onion vinegar too
  • edited June 2015
    Grandpa's mention of salt beef has reminded me of another - beigels from Brick Lane, especially cream cheese & smoked salmon and chopped herring...
  • Another shout for Bubble and Squeak
    Gypsy Tart.
  • For me it's Venison as I just think it's to deer
  • Snake