Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Foods you love but rarely get to eat

Anyone else have foods that they miss out on because of the fact they eat as a family so all have the same?

I love a good curry and chilli but the Mrs doesn't and a spicy one if either would be too hot for the little un who is on proper food (the other is only 6 weeks old).

Take every opportunity to choose either when out to eat!

Or foreign lifers, any food you miss because you can get your hands on it abroad?

Comments

• From Canada - Mushy Peas when having Fish & Chips out. They always pair F & C with coleslaw over here - what's that all about?!
  • Having lived and worked a lot in Asia, I love Mee Goreng ...so difficult to get in a restaurant over here.
  • Parsnips,
    sweet potato
  • edited June 2015
    Ive not been well.
  • Manze's Pie , mash and Liquor
  • stonemuse said:

Having lived and worked a lot in Asia, I love Mee Goreng ...so difficult to get in a restaurant over here.

I was going to say Indonesian food in general, but Mee Goreng aka Bami Goreng in particular

This. When I cant get SVs obv.
  • Oakster said:

From Canada - Mushy Peas when having Fish & Chips out. They always pair F & C with coleslaw over here - what's that all about?!

You can get Mushy Peas at Brits Fish & Chips in Edmonton, unfortunately the chips are a bit uninspiring but the fish is okay although probably not the freshest with Edmonton being so far from the coast. The seafood was a lot better when I was down in Victoria a couple of months ago!

Being able to just pop to the chippy and get a good sized meal for under a fiver - I miss that.

Curry is the big miss for me though. I used to have at least 1 a week back home (as indicated by the girth of my waist!) but they are just not the same. Nice enough in their own way and probably closer to authentic Indian cooking, but nowhere near as tasty as even an average British-Indian curry. I've resorted to mostly making my own, with mixed results.

Pork Scratchings.

Pastries - pork pies, scotch eggs, pasties etc, savoury pies. You can get stuff like that here but you have to hunt it down and go out of your way and pay over the odds at specialst store or farmers market. Miss just being able to grab one off the shelf in Sainsbury's . I quite miss Sainsbury's come to mention it.

This
  • When I lived in america id always have General Tso Chicken....Can't get it here for some reason. It's incredible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tried making my own pie and mash once cos I misses the one next door on Deptford High Street. It was like propping a picture of an ex opposite and trying to have a romantic dinner date.
  • Don't eat quite a few things due to diet/general health kick. One thing I really miss though is sitting down to a plate of ciabatta & foccacia breads, a bowl of balsamic and olive oil, parma ham, buffalo mozzarella and tomatoes.
  • When I lived in america id always have General Tso Chicken....Can't get it here for some reason. It's incredible.

going to america soon and have been recommended this! Any other American must try foods mate?
  • Tried making my own pie and mash once cos I misses the one next door on Deptford High Street. It was like propping a picture of an ex opposite and trying to have a romantic dinner date.

Anyone can get a book, follow the recipes and produce a close imitation of whatever Gordon Ramsey or Michel Roux could dish up but I bet none of them could crack the secret of producing an authentic Manzes pie and mash.

love it :smile:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_dkYNq8G9Y
  • Mike said:

When I lived in america id always have General Tso Chicken....Can't get it here for some reason. It's incredible.

going to america soon and have been recommended this! Any other American must try foods mate?
    Where bouts you going mate? Most city's have their own speciality grub!
  • Mike said:

When I lived in america id always have General Tso Chicken....Can't get it here for some reason. It's incredible.

Kentucky ; )
  • Mike said:

New York for a week then Atlantic City
  • edited June 2015
    My eldest daughter recently became a militant veggie and my diet has gone downhill fast. On the plus side I always have a ribeye on a Friday night when she goes to bed.
  • Sponsored links:

• My Mrs doesn't let me have fish pie as much as I would like

Chocolate fingers?

Has to be double pie double mash double liquor , cup of strong tea , and an orange squash In a polystyrene cup , from either Manze's or Tony's Waltham abbey ( so good there becks gets it sent out to every city he has played football in) his fruit pie and custard is legendary Rd here , great pie and mash
  • Lambs kidneys

Just Googled that, does sound lovely.
  • Mike said:

Mike said:

New York for a week then Atlantic City
    Atlantic City is a bit of a dive but still good fun.

The other thing I loved in America was the sweet pretzels that you dipped in icing. So bad for you but taste unreal. Also it's the only place where it's acceptable to have scrambled egg and bacon on the same plate as syrup and let it all mix in together.
  • Anything that is good for the taste buds.
  • many years ago you could get proper sharks fin soup in Hong Kong and it was lovely, I believe it is banned these days
  • Scotch pies, plain bread and chippy sauce to name just three
  • Liver, kidney and bacon.
  • Think if i left Alberta, i would struggle to find good Ginger Beef anywhere else - its ridiculously calorific & unhealthy but it tastes good!!

It's marinated beef deep-fried in batter and coated with a sweet and sour sauce...staple of many Chinese restaurants around here....

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/diningout/a/gingerbeef.htm

It's not too far removed from General Tso chicken in fact....