Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA arrests- bribery allegations (ed Blatter to resign)

Comments

• You don't have to be an English fan to think Blatter is the spawn of Satan. It seems this survey was mainly carried out in Europe, North and South America. Most of Africa and most of Asia are not represented. This page does not show how many people were in each country. The fan organisation involved in the survey is Swedish.

https://transparency.org/news/pressrelease/4_in_5_football_fans_say_blatter_should_not_stand_for_fifa_president_poll_o

A poll of more than 35,000 football fans in 30 countries released before the election to pick the next president of FIFA, world football’s governing body, showed that four out of five fans do not think Sepp Blatter should stand for the post and 69.2 per cent said they had no confidence in FIFA.

The poll was to assess how the effects of corruption and poor governance at FIFA is perceived by fans who will have no say in the vote. Only the representatives of the 209 football federations that make up FIFA are eligible to vote on 29 May in Zurich.

When the poll was launched last week there were four candidates in the race for president, including Luis Figo, the former Portuguese international, who was the fan favourite winning 59.1 per cent of the votes. Figo has since dropped out of the race along with Michael van Praag, the head of Dutch football, leaving Blatter facing Prince Ali bin al-Hussein. A quarter of the voters picked none of the above as their choice. [Follow link for more of this long article.]

---

Avaaz has a petition it's planning to deliver to FIFA delegates, too:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/blatter_23/?cXtcWbb

The wording is:

"As citizens concerned about corruption in all its forms, we welcome the arrests of FIFA executives on bribery charges, and call on you not to vote for Sepp Blatter in FIFA's Presidential elections. It's time to clean up football by uprooting the cause of the problem."

Can't see how many signatures it's got yet, but, if you want to sign, better do it early on Thursday BST.
  • Let's hope this really is just the beginning: arrest all of his subordinates first, collect enough evidence and then charge him, the ultimate target. I'm sure those 14 officials will have a huge lot important inside information to 'offer'. The FBI surely don't want to make a bold move before everything they need is in hand.
  • Chizz said:

Statement from Blatter:

This is a difficult time for football, the fans and for FIFA as an organisation. We understand the disappointment that many have expressed and I know that the events of today will impact the way in which many people view us.

As unfortunate as these events are, it should be clear that we welcome the actions and the investigations by the US and Swiss authorities and believe that it will help to reinforce measures that FIFA has already taken to root out any wrongdoing in football.

While there will be many who are frustrated with the pace of change, I would like to stress the actions that we have taken and will continue to take. In fact, today’s action by the Swiss Office of the Attorney General was set in motion when we submitted a dossier to the Swiss authorities late last year.

Let me be clear: such misconduct has no place in football and we will ensure that those who engage in it are put out of the game. Following the events of today, the independent Ethics Committee – which is in the midst of its own proceedings regarding the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups - took swift action to provisionally ban those individuals named by the authorities from any football-related activities at the national and international level. These actions are on top of similar steps that FIFA has taken over the past year to exclude any members who violate our own Code of Ethics.

We will continue to work with the relevant authorities and we will work vigorously within FIFA in order to root out any misconduct, to regain your trust and ensure that football worldwide is free from wrongdoing.

Genuinely feel ****ing sick after reading that. To be fair I already felt a bit sick, but more so now.

• edited May 2015
    If Blatter was a politician, his position would have become untenable. But he is a dictator - of a select club of lucky bastards who get a nice life on the back of football. His policy has been a simple one. FIFA is a world body and if he looks after the smaller nations, he gets the votes he needs to keep power. If he was defeated, the small countries would be scared a new leadership may favour the big nations - and that is more than possible as that is where the legal money is. We have seen how the Premiership in this country does not give a fig for smaller clubs and the international game. This sounds great, but corruption is common place within the smaller federations. The leaders have the leverage under FIFA's system to feather their nests and the federations get the money which doesn't usually get to the grass roots as it needs to.

FIFA needs new leadership and more democracy, but continuing to put the development of the game across the world as its main prioity. Having said that, it means holding world cups in the best places to hold them (this country is one of the best with its grounds and infrastucture already in place) and ensuring a lot of the profits go to the smaller nations to develop the game, rather than in FIFA's pockets as what happens now. There has to be basic rules that the country holding a tournament is democratic and does not discriminate against sexuality or gender. The human rights record has to be considered, and above all, there should be a financial benefit, not cost if it is a poorer country. It is as simple as that but I can't see how that can happen.

The crazy thing about all of this is if you want proof of corruption, you don't not need papers or evidence, you only need one word.....QATAR. The only reason this rich oil producing slave exploiting, human rights defying nation that has no football history got the tournament can only be bribery. But Blatter is not a politician and does not have to resign and will get the support he needs from the federations that think they are better off with him. We don't have a vote. The people of the world don't have a vote so there is not much we can do. Even if the corruption was proven to lay at his door, as long as he got the votes he needed, he wont go. I suspect, if he did go, he would be scared his corruptions over the years may be uncovered which could lead to imprisonment, so he has an interest in going on until he dies.

The problem is, when the corruption goes public and gets to a certain point, the only outcome will be break aways. Then the break away replacement for FIFA will be that organisation that favours the big nations!!!

• I can see the (pathetic) FA's stance against corruption in FIFA just disappearing all together if hosting the 2018 world cup is dangled in front of them.
  • Shrew said:

I can see the (pathetic) FA's stance against corruption in FIFA just disappearing all together if hosting the 2018 world cup is dangled in front of them.

Yes, I think that's how it works.
  • On a point of information, I have been led to believe that no workers died whilst working on the London 2012 Olympics, although there was at least one death due to indirectly related work and at least one worker died of natural causes on site.

my favourite GIF
  • Sponsored links:

• No point in saying "we should have done something" etc.

English FA, or gov couldn't make this move because we're too tied in financially and geographically with FIFA to risk not succeeding. We're part of Europe and all European competitions, a large percentage of the players in our leagues come from abroad or play for the national teams under European competition and we've already kicked up a fuss about a few things and been painted out to be sore losers (and even racist at one point?).

Americans have the financial clout to back this up, they aren't involved bar once every 4 years in any international tournaments and their game isn't big enough to be harmed by any underhand FIFA tactics that may follow this accusation. They are also notoriously arrogant and ballsy as a nation, much like Blatter is in the way he conducts his 'business', meaning they wont tiptoe around.

They are the absolute perfect candidates to attack FIFA with very little to fear. I'm enjoying this!
  • I'm not being funny, in the mad scramble to distance from FIFA, why would Russia align itself with them?

Screams guilty if you ask me
  • well done the Yanks.
  • jams said:

I'm not being funny, in the mad scramble to distance from FIFA, why would Russia align itself with them?

1. Because FIFA has awarded Russia the 2018 World Cup to host

2. Because it is a view that opposes the view apparently held by its old mucked the US of A.

I think those who are jumping up and down saying England should "have" the 2018 WC need to calm down a bit and remember that Russia could bomb the bejaysus out of us if Putin gets into a bad mood.
  • There is no way will get the 2018 WC.
  • FIFA and Blatter still have huge support amongst the vast majority of member Football Associations throughout the minor footballing nations. Blatter can't "bribe" the FA or the German FA with baubles and inducements but it's very easy for him to offer trips to Zurich. Hospitality at World Cups, and money to "improve the footballing infrastructure" in countries like The Solomon Islands or Guam. All above board financially but at the same time creating a secure power base and votes.

He's as clever as a weasel and will I'm sure have evidence to prove he's been trying to clean things up himself. Dossiers to hand over and might already have struck a deal.

The big footballing nations and sponsors might in the end force the creep to resign but I reckon the chances of him being put in the dick are unfortunately nil.
  • That's dock
  • Sponsored links:

• Freudian slip.
  • edited May 2015
    Addicted said:

No point in saying "we should have done something" etc.

English FA, or gov couldn't make this move because we're too tied in financially and geographically with FIFA to risk not succeeding. We're part of Europe and all European competitions, a large percentage of the players in our leagues come from abroad or play for the national teams under European competition and we've already kicked up a fuss about a few things and been painted out to be sore losers (and even racist at one point?).

Americans have the financial clout to back this up, they aren't involved bar once every 4 years in any international tournaments and their game isn't big enough to be harmed by any underhand FIFA tactics that may follow this accusation. They are also notoriously arrogant and ballsy as a nation, much like Blatter is in the way he conducts his 'business', meaning they wont tiptoe around.

They are the absolute perfect candidates to attack FIFA with very little to fear. I'm enjoying this!

What on earth are you talking about ?

The USA compete in numerous international tournaments both at club and national team level (the 2016 Copa America will be hosted there), the MLS is a very big league and at the rate it's growing will be the biggest in the Americas and probably the biggest outside of Europe in the next few years,

The reason the Americans did something is because they had the jurisdiction to act, we didn't.
  • jams said:

I'm not being funny, in the mad scramble to distance from FIFA, why would Russia align itself with them?

1. Because FIFA has awarded Russia the 2018 World Cup to host

2. Because it is a view that opposes the view apparently held by its old mucked the US of A.

I think those who are jumping up and down saying England should "have" the 2018 WC need to calm down a bit and remember that Russia could bomb the bejaysus out of us if Putin gets into a bad mood.
    It would be bizarre if they did skip the second most popular option in voting (Spain & Portugal) and the third most popular (Belgium & Netherlands) to give it to England
  • edited May 2015
    If after Putins statement regarding Blatter anyone thinks the man lives on the same planet as the rest of us then I suggest you visit your local nuthatch.
  • edited May 2015

If after Putins statement regarding Blatter anyone thinks the man lives on the same planet as the rest of us then I suggest you visit your local nuthatch.

Why would I visit a small woodland bird to discuss Vlad Putin, SHG? :wink:
  • edited May 2015
    Moderate rapture...

Good on the yanks for riding roughshod over those parasitic thieves in their 5* hotel and,more importantly, vowing to take their investigations/prosecutions right through to the black rotten heart of FIFA regardless of how long it takes.

The black rotten heart of course, is Blatter...

The bloated heart that will forever beat to the thrum of greed. He'll get away with it. Again.

Sadly, I imagine it will be more a case of plus ça change.

• edited May 2015
    Redskin said:

Blimey!

Did you have a bad experience on one of his Holidays?
  • Nothing surprises me with that cockroach anymore...

Blatter has now come out with the following:

"More needs to be done to make sure everyone in football behaves responsibly and ethically"

"There can be no place for corruption of any kind"

"I cannot monitor everyone all of the time"

Still refusing to resign, still refusing to take any blame whatsoever. Surely, if Blatter knew about all of this then he's culpable, if he didn't then he's negligent. Either way he has to go.
  • Nothing surprises me with that cockroach anymore...

Blatter has now come out with the following:

"More needs to be done to make sure everyone in football behaves responsibly and ethically"

"There can be no place for corruption of any kind"

"I cannot monitor everyone all of the time"

Still refusing to resign, still refusing to take any blame whatsoever. Surely, if Blatter knew about all of this then he's culpable, if he didn't then he's negligent. Either way he has to go.

Love this line... He's saying it as though some ordinary Administrator has accepted a few bribes to ensure Qatar get the World Cup.

Sorry Sepp but Vice-Presidents have been arrested... Your the President which makes YOU their direct boss and superior so you should know what they're doing